Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Another step towards a career goal
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 31, 2015
• Building and maintaining Advisor and Client relationships
• Main Sun Life contact for advisors and clients for all inquiries
• Responsible for the growth and profitability of an assigned block of business.
• Ensuring client and advisor needs are met through strong customer service and value added products and services
• Use of different operating Systems, CRM, and reporting systems
• Sold, Renewed, and negotiated Sun Life Group Benefit products and services
good team
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  North YorkJuly 6, 2015
Involved in collecting process with 90% of efficiency (working with numbers).
Was responsible for data entry and certain bookkeeping functions
Extremely fun place to work with extensive training and development
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grande PrairieNovember 18, 2014
Prospecting began everyday to build one's own client base. Managed existing clients with follow ups and reviews, talking about products and services they may not have yet. My co-workers were great people and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was the prospecting, which also is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job as well.
Pros
extensive training, meeting new people, selling top notch products in the industry, backed by a supportive management team.
Cons
none.
Great place to work if you just want to come in, do your work and go home.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2014
Sun Life has great mature IT processes but the management is strictly top down to employees.

There is little opportunity for advancement unless you know someone already higher and the pay is low.

You are at the bottom of the ladder and the business and developers are allowed to run all over you and be outright abusive.
Pros
very structured environment so is a good place to learn.
Cons
top-down management and low pay.
Professional Pleasent Work Place
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 15, 2015
Great group of people at Sunlife. If you are in need of guidance there is always someone you can contact for guidance and support.
Productive and Safe Enviroment
Assistant Adviser and Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  1000May 15, 2015
I have learned a lot through this job, have gained a lot of experience and skills which I have developed along the way as this will help me for other opportunities in future.
Good organization
Senior Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  North york, ONMarch 23, 2015
A good organization with secure job. Good technologies to work with a well balanced work-life. Flexible management with lot of employee friendly work options.
Fast paced environment, great people to work with.
Manager, Advisor Technology Services Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 10, 2013
- New challenges everyday.
- Opportunity to learn and develop your skills.
- Great people to work with.
Pros
the position i held gave me the opportunity to utilize so many different skills, such as people management skills, recruiting, conducting interviews, staffing, negotiation skills, technical skills, performance management just to name a few
Cons
limited career opportunities in ottawa.
Very Dynamic and lots of learning opportunities
System Analyst UNIX (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 4, 2014
Typical day at work:
Taking care of day to day client requests, preparation and arranging for on hand projects which included patching OS, P2V and looking after hard ware and software maintenance cases.

What I learned:
I gained a great amount of knowledge about Different Solaris hardware and software products. All models of Oracle and AIX devices.

Management;
Needed more time to get used to the new management style

My co-workers:
Got along really well with all members of my team, had no issues working with any of them.

Hardest part of the job:
Commuting to Waterloo every day from Mississauga

Most enjoyable part:
Dealing with my co-workers and handling new challenges every day
Pros
good company, excellent team to work with
Cons
long commuting and too many afterhours and week end activities
As Financial Analyst, I loved this experience!
Junior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 31, 2012
Typical Day: Prepared financial statements, research summaries and analytical reports.
What I Learned: Identifying opportunities to enhance efficiency, growth and profitability for financial and accounting companies
Management: Never had a bad boss, great group of people very motivated, energetic and driven always ready to lend a hand and I have had some of the greatest mentors in this job
Hardest Part of the Job: Learning the skill of maintaining several due dates simultaneously and managing priorities of multiple different projects
Most Enjoyable part of the Job: Working with a great and motivated multidisciplinary team.
Pros
the people, the environment, the learning experience
Cons
very stressful and challenging, but also very rewarding upon success
Work Life Balance
Functional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2015
Work and life balances is amazing , and company gives ample opportunity to move ahead in the area of interest .
Managers and support group ensure that you get what you deserve
Challenging but Exciteful Projects with Knowledgeable Managers
Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2013
In Sun Life Financial every day there are exposures to new and challenging problems which demands brand-new ideas and state of the art models to implement them. This provides opportunity to develop new approaches to resolve the problem, while having access to knowledgeable managers which leads to maturing those ideas.

With the comprehensive knowledge in mathematical finance and financial markets we gained in the Financial Mathematics program in McMaster University, having exposure to the real life applications and the associated challenges due to lack of enough useful data, non normalized data, etc. learning how to overcome these challenges was exciting and instructive.

Responsible and well-behaved colleagues provide a progressive atmosphere which leads to meeting goals based on the pre-determined schedule.

Probably for me as an intern, who needed to accomplish both jobs assigned by Sun Life Financial and Mitacs Accelerated Program, satisfying both duties simultaneously based on the tight time schedule was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
responsible and well-behaved colleagues, highly developed culture, knowledgable managers
fun place to work at.
Support Services clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 14, 2012
- a typical day at work is - Open and sort incoming correspondence.
File documents and retrieve information, & - Track medical and dental requests, Provide original receipts to policy members.

- I've learned there system on doing letters on Himster, & C-Cap.

- management very easy to talk to & approach,

- co-workers are very nice the ones that i talked to everyday.

-hardest part of the day was when alot of mail came in & we didn't finish on time so we had to do overtime.

-hardest part of the day was when alot of mail came in the office & we didn't finish on time so we had to do overtime.

- the joyable part of the job is when we work together as a team.
Pros
pizza party days or game days...
Cons
working late when others didn't
Excellent place to work
Issue & Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 12, 2014
During the 7 years that I was with them, I held various positions and always felts supported by management. I learned several different aspects of the insurance world....from writing business requirements for changes, testing those requirements, to managing a project for a system change to leading a team of administration staff. All fellow employees were very easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was 'playing catch up' if a deadline came and went! I enjoyed the variety of the work.
Pros
great co-workers; support from management when needed
Cons
production problems could be stressful and time consuming
Professional, Valued Company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
A typical day at work would involve cold calling, warm calling and referral calling. This allows to keep a flow of meetings going on a weekly basis, resulting in a flow of sales. I learned how to act in a professional, unbiased and ethical manner. My management has been extremely supportive and supported all my decisions. I have never worked with such an easy going group of people in my life. Never has there been one issue. The hardest part of the job is the off chance of not receiving an income (as it is commission based only). The most enjoyable part of this job has been the education I've learned, the people I have met and at the atmosphere.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  WaterlooFebruary 23, 2015
Provide medical and dental benefit coverage via incoming call center.

Best part was providing great customer service. Worst part was some people would be frustrated when they maxed out their benefit allowance - however, you just had to remain calm, positive tone, be apologetic yet assertive to plan members as it's their employers who make their benefit plans, not Sunlife Financial.
Pros
great hours, independence
Good experience
Personal financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Ste Julie. QCAugust 5, 2013
In order to have sales, you must to make cold calls, ask for the possibility to have an appointment. If you have the appointment after 10 calls, then make recommendations according to the personal economic profile. Then complete all the sales procedures in the computer, prepare the files, make an order to a medical revision, do and redo the follow-up weekly during the next 3 months, including clients payments and clients no payments etc. I learned to insist and have patient.

The training its scheduled by the company, weekly, monthly. The management depends on your personals abilities. Its a very independent position.The company atmosphere its really good, even the big sense of competition. i really enjoyed the experience but, when you have no appointments, you have no sales, if you have no sales you have not payroll, then you have no bills payed.
Pros
be part of a very important company and commissions
Cons
payments policies. when the clients cut the insurances contrats, the payments will be debit from your next payroll
Good culture, but it's still a large company and a process based company
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2015
I love the fact that everyone wants you to learn and improve, the culture really supports development and it's a great company to work for.
Great experience
Advisor/Sales (Current Employee) –  MississaugaApril 18, 2012
• Good understanding of how the provincial health care system works
• Developing financial plans, managing client portfolio, advising clients on their insurance and investment needs based on each situation by discussing their current and future goals and taking appropriate action by investing their money into appropriate funds
• Employee of the month for meeting targeted sales each month; if target sales were not met, contacted existing clients by updating “know your client” and offer further products/services; several cold calling until 20 appointments were booked for the month
• Discussed retirement planning to ensure a plan was made for existing clientele in inventory
• Client communications and administration duties, primary content manager of Client Management Software
• Resolving complaints when head office or health care practitioners and organizations refuse to grant requests for access or correction; Investigate complaints with respect to personal information by clients applying appropriate judgement and knowledge according to the circumstances of individual files
Good Company. Great Risk & Reward. So Do Your Homework!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  CanadaJanuary 31, 2014
Initially you'll be asked for a list of 100 names you can prospect and sell to. Make sure you have a game plan after your warm market runs dry besides cold calling or going door to door. For most people that's when you'll promptly exit the business.

For those seeking Sun Life Financial as their first financial planning gig here's my advice:

Don't do it. Start with 4-5 years in a bank where you will get leads and appointments booked for you while earning a CFP designation. If you want to go independent or 'captive' at an insurance company for $$$ and autonomy only make the switch when you have a reliable network of 500 people you know will do business with you. Don't take the career if you just want to help people, become an exceptional Financial Planner and own your own business. Take the job only if you can sacrifice your evenings and weekends for the next 5 years and you enjoy sales and prospecting 24/7 'cause that's all you'll be doing!

Bottom line: Being an advisor at Sun Life Financial is a great opportunity for the right person. It's a disaster for anyone else.
Pros
flexibility, great office environment
Cons
straight commission, build your own block (no leads)