Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2016
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Pros
Make as much as you want.
Cons
Long hours, Very stressful
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2016
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Pros
Focus on innovation and growth
Cons
No work-life balance
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 February 2016
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Pros
Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons
can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2016
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
Pros
Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons
Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 February 2016
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
Pros
great people, great incentives
Cons
Senior Intake & Change Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2016
Great place to work in a senior setting, the supportive management style gives the employee the ability to further develop their skill sets.I would highly recommend SLF.
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2016
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Pros
decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons
insecurity
Great working environment
FINANCIAL SERVICES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2015
Large call centre team where agents are required to assist terminated or retired member. Agents must upsell to members with additional products.
Was a great company to start with however all changed with the selling of the US Annuities
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 December 2015
Very secretive about Jobs future with selling Annuities, once informed closing Canadian office was strung along with closing date for over a year
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2015
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Long hours of sitting
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 December 2015
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Pros
American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons
had to work canadian holidays
Professional Easy going work environment
Application Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 December 2015
Professional, Easy going, laid back and productive! Business environment. Company is an insurance company and a large company, however flex time and hours, lots of work from home opportunities.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2015
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
Pros
Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons
Not the industry I want to see myself work in
Good Career Starter
Jr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2015
The company is managed properly but could do better. Learning new technologies and working with intelligent yet fun loving people is the best part of the workplace culture.
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 November 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
Typical Insurance Company with multiple projects
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 October 2015
A very professional company which follows Continuous Maturity Model Integeration level 3 processes. They allow sometimes to work from home, should the circumstances.
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 October 2015
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Pros
Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons
Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
Admin Assistant position
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill ON19 October 2015
Learn about the role of advisor as well as the company itself. Good opportunity for students or those looking to get into the business as an advisor at Sun Life. Clerical work as well as contacting clients, making appointments and follow ups.
An amazing company to work for
Business Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 October 2015
Sun Life is an amazing company with many perks for being an employee. My coworkers and management are amazing to work with. I love how it feels like a big family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.