Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Warm and sincere people.
Market Insights Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2015
I've worked with Sun Life as a vendor and as a contractor covering a mat leave.

The people are genuine, sincere and warm. They are thoughtful in their approach to what they do, thorough, committed to doing the right thing, the right way.

The people I have worked with are fun, smart, hardworking and playful at the same time.

The organization's commitment to wellness has helped me to create a better work-life balance for myself and undertake significant improvements towards a healhty lifestyle.

I really enjoy working with Sun Life.
Pros
work-life balance, nice people, focused, professional, smart.
Cons
decision making is undertaken in a thoughtful manner and thus takes longer.
Interactive customer-centred workplace with great employees
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2013
-answered incoming inquiries about customer benefit packages, assisted with online services and clarified how their benefits work
-multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
-time management
-problem solving
-pleasant and up-beat co-workers
Pros
work from home, great team environment
Cons
tight call time constraints
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 9, 2013
This is a great place to work, friendly people, but the salary/benefits are not competitive.
Pros
work environment
Typical Insurance Company with multiple projects
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 27, 2015
A very professional company which follows Continuous Maturity Model Integeration level 3 processes. They allow sometimes to work from home, should the circumstances.
Great company to work for.
Medical Claims Consultant (Waterloo) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntSeptember 16, 2014
H & D is a production environment. Check your queue assignment and begin working. Every minute has to be accounted. During breaks and lunches you mingle with your co-workers.
During peak periods there are some fun stuff that the management team put on to ease the stress.
The most difficult aspect of the job is when trying to convince management that a process doesn't work.
Sunlife is a great company to work. You have the flexibility to choose your hours of work, breaks and lunch in the H & D Department.
Refridgerators,microwaves and hot and cold water are provided in the lunch areas. Lunch can be eaten at your desk.
During my 18 years until organizaztional changes, I enjoyed as part of my role providing coaching and support to employees.
Pros
employees are recognized for a job well done.
Cons
sometimes. if required to work on the weekend, in addition to overtime pay lunch is provided.
Very Dynamic and lots of learning opportunities
System Analyst UNIX (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 4, 2014
Typical day at work:
Taking care of day to day client requests, preparation and arranging for on hand projects which included patching OS, P2V and looking after hard ware and software maintenance cases.

What I learned:
I gained a great amount of knowledge about Different Solaris hardware and software products. All models of Oracle and AIX devices.

Management;
Needed more time to get used to the new management style

My co-workers:
Got along really well with all members of my team, had no issues working with any of them.

Hardest part of the job:
Commuting to Waterloo every day from Mississauga

Most enjoyable part:
Dealing with my co-workers and handling new challenges every day
Pros
good company, excellent team to work with
Cons
long commuting and too many afterhours and week end activities
Admin Assistant position
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill ONOctober 19, 2015
Learn about the role of advisor as well as the company itself. Good opportunity for students or those looking to get into the business as an advisor at Sun Life. Clerical work as well as contacting clients, making appointments and follow ups.
As Financial Analyst, I loved this experience!
Junior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 31, 2012
Typical Day: Prepared financial statements, research summaries and analytical reports.
What I Learned: Identifying opportunities to enhance efficiency, growth and profitability for financial and accounting companies
Management: Never had a bad boss, great group of people very motivated, energetic and driven always ready to lend a hand and I have had some of the greatest mentors in this job
Hardest Part of the Job: Learning the skill of maintaining several due dates simultaneously and managing priorities of multiple different projects
Most Enjoyable part of the Job: Working with a great and motivated multidisciplinary team.
Pros
the people, the environment, the learning experience
Cons
very stressful and challenging, but also very rewarding upon success
Dedicated Company to their Advisors and Clients
Group Benefits SunAdvantage Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2014
Working in the Group Benefits Sales area is fast pace, motivating and self driven.
Knowledge in group benefits in all area is of utmost importance and you learn something new everyday. Every task gives you a sense of accomplishment.
You are required to work independently, and if needed your co-workers and manager are there to discuss and resolve any issues.
The most challenging and enjoyable part of the job is meeting the turnaround times. We do rely on other sources for information, and in the sales area timing of responses are crucial. It is challenging for me as I strive in providing great customer services by being able to respond right away. When I am not able to, it is important to inform the waiting recipient right and provide a timeline for expectation.
I take pride in my job and in building relationships. This only results in excellent service!
Pros
able to work independently, job task gives you a sense of accomplishment
employee's where rewarded accoringly for a job well done,
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
I enjoyed the fifteen years I worked with Sun Life Financial.
I learned a great deal about Dental and Medical coverage.
My co-workers where friendly,I had a instant bond with all my co-workers and as the years passed I looked at them as family rather then co-workers this included Team Leaders, Managers, and Directors. The hardest part of the job was managing the hi volume of calls during peak hours...( we never had enough bodies to manage the magnitude of callers) The sallary was excellent the rewards programs was attainable and regardless of the position
I held with Sun Life Financial I always felt valuable to the company.
Pros
excellent sallary, health & dental benefits provided
Cons
hi volume of calls during peak hours
A very professional work environment
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond HillJanuary 14, 2015
- Great team attitude for a sales force industry.
- Excellent training systems available to increase knowledge, develop expertise and hone everyday skills and habits.
- Long hours needed to prospect and develop a clientele/block of business.
- Managers always willing to coach and support growth, answer questions, train advisors as needed.
- Learned an incredible amount about financial services and sales.
Pros
excellent training and support
Cons
very unstable income/commission only/chargebacks.
Flexible work schedule, fast paced work environment.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2013
Working for Sun Life Financial has its ups and downs. In terms of flexibility, Sun Life Financial provided a good balance between work life and social life. The staff was great, provided excellent support. The downs, however, is what has forced me to look for other opportunities. As an advisor, there is only so much you can do for the client but at the end of the day it is up to the client if he/she will take the policy or not. I am a very driven individual and I spend hours building presentations and preparing documents for my clients. At the end of the day, I like to be in control of my productivity but with a commission based salary, if a client makes you do all this work and then decides not to go through with it, it can be very frustrating. I am intrigued by the insurance industry because of what it is capable of doing. In terms of leveraging your risk, insurance is a great asset. I enjoy meeting with clients and being out on the field. One of my biggest strengths is the ability to have a conversation with an individual and really get a sense of what they are thinking and if their is any possibility of a business transaction. Working with Sun Life Financial has definitely thought me how to run my own business, be organized as a professional and how to balance my work and social life.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stressful environment, commission based salary
fun place to work at.
Support Services clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 14, 2012
- a typical day at work is - Open and sort incoming correspondence.
File documents and retrieve information, & - Track medical and dental requests, Provide original receipts to policy members.

- I've learned there system on doing letters on Himster, & C-Cap.

- management very easy to talk to & approach,

- co-workers are very nice the ones that i talked to everyday.

-hardest part of the day was when alot of mail came in & we didn't finish on time so we had to do overtime.

-hardest part of the day was when alot of mail came in the office & we didn't finish on time so we had to do overtime.

- the joyable part of the job is when we work together as a team.
Pros
pizza party days or game days...
Cons
working late when others didn't
Extremely fun place to work with extensive training and development
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grande PrairieNovember 18, 2014
Prospecting began everyday to build one's own client base. Managed existing clients with follow ups and reviews, talking about products and services they may not have yet. My co-workers were great people and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was the prospecting, which also is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job as well.
Pros
extensive training, meeting new people, selling top notch products in the industry, backed by a supportive management team.
Cons
none.
Professional, Valued Company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
A typical day at work would involve cold calling, warm calling and referral calling. This allows to keep a flow of meetings going on a weekly basis, resulting in a flow of sales. I learned how to act in a professional, unbiased and ethical manner. My management has been extremely supportive and supported all my decisions. I have never worked with such an easy going group of people in my life. Never has there been one issue. The hardest part of the job is the off chance of not receiving an income (as it is commission based only). The most enjoyable part of this job has been the education I've learned, the people I have met and at the atmosphere.
Excellent place to work
Issue & Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 12, 2014
During the 7 years that I was with them, I held various positions and always felts supported by management. I learned several different aspects of the insurance world....from writing business requirements for changes, testing those requirements, to managing a project for a system change to leading a team of administration staff. All fellow employees were very easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was 'playing catch up' if a deadline came and went! I enjoyed the variety of the work.
Pros
great co-workers; support from management when needed
Cons
production problems could be stressful and time consuming
Boring environment with socially awkward colleagues.
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioJuly 8, 2014
Management is false and shallow.
Good benefits.
Not much in the way of work support.
HR services incredibly lacklustre.
benefits
Cons
parking is four kilometres from the office.
Good experience
Personal financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Ste Julie. QCAugust 5, 2013
In order to have sales, you must to make cold calls, ask for the possibility to have an appointment. If you have the appointment after 10 calls, then make recommendations according to the personal economic profile. Then complete all the sales procedures in the computer, prepare the files, make an order to a medical revision, do and redo the follow-up weekly during the next 3 months, including clients payments and clients no payments etc. I learned to insist and have patient.

The training its scheduled by the company, weekly, monthly. The management depends on your personals abilities. Its a very independent position.The company atmosphere its really good, even the big sense of competition. i really enjoyed the experience but, when you have no appointments, you have no sales, if you have no sales you have not payroll, then you have no bills payed.
Pros
be part of a very important company and commissions
Cons
payments policies. when the clients cut the insurances contrats, the payments will be debit from your next payroll
Good Professional Environment
Facilities Management Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  150 King Toronto OntarioMarch 2, 2014
Typical day would range from meeting with management teams, Vp's and directors, answering emails and phone calls. report making and assessment
Pros
unsupervised
Cons
politics
Great company
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2014
Great company with a good corporate culture and work life balance.