Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Work Life Balance
Functional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2015
Work and life balances is amazing , and company gives ample opportunity to move ahead in the area of interest .
Managers and support group ensure that you get what you deserve
Enjoyed working at Sun Life Financial.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2014
I start off the day with entering new clients and updating accounts for existing clients onto the system (CDS).
I am required to communicated with head office for extend information that isn't available to me on the CDS. For example, if a clients plan has lapsed, I would have to find out what the costs are to re-activate account and how many payments were missed. And I had to all the photocopying and filing.

With all the data entry that I was required to do for this job, my wpm and kph have increased substantially. I've learnt how to manage my time properly given the tasks that I have to complete for the day.
Pros
boss is very nice, flexible hours
Friendly, respectful work place
Backup Real Time Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  montrealDecember 17, 2014
The workplace is fine in regards to the environment, but for a company that prides itself on career advancement, there are a lot of empty promises to keep people motivated and mixed messages from management.
Lack of staff makes the front line job very taxing on individuals and people.
Excellent place to work
Issue & Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 12, 2014
During the 7 years that I was with them, I held various positions and always felts supported by management. I learned several different aspects of the insurance world....from writing business requirements for changes, testing those requirements, to managing a project for a system change to leading a team of administration staff. All fellow employees were very easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was 'playing catch up' if a deadline came and went! I enjoyed the variety of the work.
Pros
great co-workers; support from management when needed
Cons
production problems could be stressful and time consuming
Great place to work if you just want to come in, do your work and go home.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2014
Sun Life has great mature IT processes but the management is strictly top down to employees.

There is little opportunity for advancement unless you know someone already higher and the pay is low.

You are at the bottom of the ladder and the business and developers are allowed to run all over you and be outright abusive.
Pros
very structured environment so is a good place to learn.
Cons
top-down management and low pay.
Very political and slow
IT Position (Former Employee) –  OntarioAugust 20, 2014
Typical Day at Work
- Everything needs to be approved and reviewed 10 times
- Expectation is that you document everything
- Aside conversations sometimes makes you feel as you are not valuable for the organization.
What you learned
- Very little. If you are a young professional, you have a lot to learn from the experimented people. If you are an experienced person working with big companies, don't expect a lot of innovation.
- Very knowledgeable
- Very political and slow to make decisions
Co-Workers
- Nice environment
- High Turnover
Hardest part of the job
- Write a lot of documents and also work
- Participate on multiple meetings that are not productive
The most enjoyable part of the job
- Waterloo office has a Tim Hortons :-)
Pros
you can retire there. salary is average and benefits good
Cons
political environment
Professional, Valued Company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
A typical day at work would involve cold calling, warm calling and referral calling. This allows to keep a flow of meetings going on a weekly basis, resulting in a flow of sales. I learned how to act in a professional, unbiased and ethical manner. My management has been extremely supportive and supported all my decisions. I have never worked with such an easy going group of people in my life. Never has there been one issue. The hardest part of the job is the off chance of not receiving an income (as it is commission based only). The most enjoyable part of this job has been the education I've learned, the people I have met and at the atmosphere.
Workplace was located right downtown before moving to work from home.
Dental Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2013
My colleagues were friendly and helpful with answering questions that are asked from them. The hardest part of the job was the sitting down, working 7.5 hours in front of the computer on production. The most enjoyable part of it is that I can start early and leave early to enjoy the rest of the day to do personal errands that need no time to make up for.
Pros
got the chance to work from home for a while
Cons
the day seems long with no contact with people
Great people, very helpful - Client Solutions department
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2012
The culture is very laid-back and relaxed.
Absolutely loved the people but I don't think insurance is for me.
Meetings are very effective, things get done.
Huge video conference across Waterloo, Toronto and Montreal to make sure everything is on track.

Just got out of university so it was the first job I took. Sometimes, felt like I didn't have enough to do but that's just probably related to my job.
Pros
great people
Cons
my job was pretty boring but was expected when i accepted
fun place to work at.
Support Services clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 14, 2012
- a typical day at work is - Open and sort incoming correspondence.
File documents and retrieve information, & - Track medical and dental requests, Provide original receipts to policy members.

- I've learned there system on doing letters on Himster, & C-Cap.

- management very easy to talk to & approach,

- co-workers are very nice the ones that i talked to everyday.

-hardest part of the day was when alot of mail came in & we didn't finish on time so we had to do overtime.

-hardest part of the day was when alot of mail came in the office & we didn't finish on time so we had to do overtime.

- the joyable part of the job is when we work together as a team.
Pros
pizza party days or game days...
Cons
working late when others didn't
Positive Environment with Excellent Staff
Compensation & Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2012
My main role was initially managing customer information, organizing files and conducting data entry. From here I branched into Client Services, explaining benefits to clients in detail in a professional manner. The management was excellent, with a very positive corporate culture that encouraged growth and positivity. My co-workers were a highlight of the job, and I enjoyed the opportunity to expand my knowledge base about Compensation and Benefits.
Cons
contract only.
It was a very good place to work for.
Member Service Specialist/Call Centre (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONOctober 2, 2012
Pros
flex hours
Cons
limited growth opportunities
Sunlife Financial - Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 20, 2013
Working for sunlife financial gave me the opportunity to work independently as a Financial Advisor. My work schedule was very flexible in that it gave me the opportunity to receive Designations such as the LLQP. My working environment as well as my clients was one of the best start to my day as I aways look forward to seeing and speaking to my clients/collegues regularly. The hardest part of my job was when I had to say goodbye and move to Edmonton, as I will always miss my Sunlife Financial family.
Pros
unlimited profit
Cons
commission based only
Great management and very transparent.
Medical Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 22, 2013
Accuracy requirement is 99.4%, almost 100%, quite unrealistic because error is humanely present which is why the turn over of manpower is also quite frequent. Trust and confidence is very important as each individual is set to monitor his/her own daily activity and production. Very intense 7.5 hour day in front of the computer analyzing and processing federal insurance claims.
Pros
get to eat in your work station.
Cons
the whole day of seating in front of your computer, with the required speed and accuracy, usually results to injuries of the arms and eyes.
Fast paced environment, great people to work with.
Manager, Advisor Technology Services Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 10, 2013
- New challenges everyday.
- Opportunity to learn and develop your skills.
- Great people to work with.
Pros
the position i held gave me the opportunity to utilize so many different skills, such as people management skills, recruiting, conducting interviews, staffing, negotiation skills, technical skills, performance management just to name a few
Cons
limited career opportunities in ottawa.
Great location downtown, spacious office with a family environment
Sales & Client Relationships Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 22, 2012
Good company to work for as they make you feel like you are part of a family. Growth within the company is possible, but most likely in Ontario where the majority of the jobs are. The office I work at in Alberta has little room for growth.

I learned a great deal about the pension industry. Mastered excel with the use of macro programming, V Look-Ups, and Pivot Tables.
Fun
Assistant Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2013
• Assembled data and prepared periodic and special reports, manuals and correspondence
• Organized, directed, controlled and evaluated the operations of an establishment of life insurance and investments services
• Prepared financial scenarios and documents and wrote reports and recommendations for clients
• Developed, implemented and used tools for managing and analyzing financial portfolios
Pros
staff
Cons
n/a
employee's where rewarded accoringly for a job well done,
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
I enjoyed the fifteen years I worked with Sun Life Financial.
I learned a great deal about Dental and Medical coverage.
My co-workers where friendly,I had a instant bond with all my co-workers and as the years passed I looked at them as family rather then co-workers this included Team Leaders, Managers, and Directors. The hardest part of the job was managing the hi volume of calls during peak hours...( we never had enough bodies to manage the magnitude of callers) The sallary was excellent the rewards programs was attainable and regardless of the position
I held with Sun Life Financial I always felt valuable to the company.
Pros
excellent sallary, health & dental benefits provided
Cons
hi volume of calls during peak hours
My job Summary
Financial security advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 23, 2014
. Prospect and qualify potential clients using various methods as referral and public advertisement.

. Satisfy clients’ financial needs by designing a custom made plan from the array of products

. Plans contain wealth management solutions, insurance products, banking solutions and debt products

. Meet regularly with clients for review and service.
If you are a self-starter, it's great
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 7, 2013
- Activity focused environment
- Learned about having a balanced financial plan and how to educate people on money management
- Management team was very helpful- great leadership
- Friendly environment
- Clawbacks are the hardest part of the job
- Mostly enjoyed helping people and their families
Pros
perks: gifts, trips, dinners, etc
Cons
same amount of work can result in various pay scales