Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Professional and a great learning experience
Assistant Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2017
Sunlife allowed me to get a glimpse of how to work in a finance based company. I didn't know much but this experience really helped me learn a lot and allowed me to use some of that knowledge in my work and in the real world.
Excellent company
Internal Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 January 2017
Sun Life is an excellent company, which feels like an extended family. The work life balance is fair, and everyone treats one another with dignity and respect.
Great Company
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Great Company to work for.
Flexible time lines.
Great Company culture
Great people
Allows you to work from home
Internal systems are great
Organization is needed
Customer Care Representative Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 January 2017
Coworkers were wonderful amazing people to work with. Management was understanding and provided on going training. Advancement was a slow going process.
Poor with the exception of Management positions
Client Service Administrator - Corporate Accts (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 January 2017
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians! Always pressuring staff to come up with better ways to do business and to save money with as little resources as possible. That is a welcoming suggestion and can work but to push it on staff repeatedly when we've already reached our peak is mind numbing! Overtime is expected to keep up... customer service goes down as you cannot keep up with daily expectations. This worked against my work ethic as I truly believe that if you gain business opportunities through your sales force promising great service and then you don't deliver - you lose the client and and the effort of the sales force. Management then expects YOU to do your best to retain that client. It's not fair to the client, sales force or staff. I was glad when I was told my job had moved to Montreal as I didn't know what to say to client's anymore. I couldn't keep up with client expectations and the Sun Life surely didn't want us to tell the client's why... so it started to appear that staff wasn't up to par! Not Fair!
Pros
Staff
Very good work atmosphere
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2017
Well managed and stable company. Best working conditions I have experienced. Colleagues were very professional, offices are well appointed and very flexible work schedule.
Sunlife
Implementation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2017
A typical day a work varies between client supply and demand. There is a high turn over which results in our job description being altered. There is a lack on consistency but in terms of management and company loyalty there is no other place I have been to that has so much respect for their employees.
Good work life balance
Program/Project Manager - CRM & Digital Strategy (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Good work-life balance. Everything depends on contacts. Slow moving organisation. helpful coworkers. nothing great about salary. very process oriented
Excellent work culture and limitless earning potential!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
Sun Life Financial Advisor:

A typical day will involve spending half prospecting and making phone calls, while the other half will be spent reviewing client portfolios and doing administrative duties. Learning to manage time and sales techniques have been a beneficial aspect of the job.

Management and co-workers are friendly with a enjoyable work culture throughout the financial center. The hardest part of the job is being paid on 100% commission. Although this is beneficial for potential earnings, it is difficult for new advisors starting in the industry.

Most enjoyable about the job is the continuing education and experience gained through running your own business and servicing people with their financial needs.
Great support team...a little low on the follow through
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Point Claire, Quebec29 December 2016
I started in a purely entrepreneurial role; that of financial advisor needing to bring forth my own network. Given that I won't go directly to my base of friends and family to start off with, it has been a little difficult to get going. The assigned clients I received from the company were all way beyond the age of buying life insurance and with SunLife (the only company in Canada to insist on this) I cannot sell segregate funds without passing and paying for) my Mutual Funds license. This has caused me quite the setback as the start up costs have been way beyond what was initially portrayed to me!
Well rounded company
Assist business units (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 December 2016
It is a great company to work for and it promotes employees career developments. Always updating with new technologies.
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 December 2016
Sunlife gives you the oppurtunity to grow and offers a great work environment. Lots of learning oppurtunities. Amicable co owrkers. Tim Hortons and Starbucks on the premise:-)
Productive and Job experience
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2016
Working at Sun life is such a good Job experience. I come in and get set up and start work. then after 2 hours of work, I take a break, chat with other co-workers, and then get back to work. it is such a healthy work environment. What I learned while working at Sun life is the amount of work and effort needed to be put in order to get a successful outcome. The management is good. They are very organized. It is a healthy work friendly environment where everyone gets along. The hardest part of the job is the process. Getting the leads for insurance sales can be tasking. The most enjoyable part is the result. When you finally get a lead and the lead goes successful.
Pros
Friendly environment, vacations
Cons
tasking process for getting leads
productive and fun workspace
Technical Project Manager/ Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the two bonuses I received during my four months there; the least being the constant verbal lashings and lack of praise I received from my area vice president over things as trivial as post-its.
Awesome team spirit, customer-centrism, training, coaching, mentoring
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
My impression from the first day to the last day at Sun Life is summed in these words, " if you look around you at 10 a.m and your environment is awesome, your colleagues are simply great, you are supported to be the best in the job you do, and you enjoy your job, then you are very lucky".

My Sun Life experience is nothing short of awesome on daily basis, the training, the mentoring, the coaching, the customer feed back.

I enjoyed every bit of it and I will miss it.
Pros
Team, bonding, training, coaching, growth, etc
Cons
The environment was too positive for me to notice cons, the management is in constant improvement gear.
Building your own Business
Wealth, Health, and Insurance Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
It is difficult to be a financial advisor with no block of business.
Prospecting - Commision only job.

It is important if you want to be a career agent to know what type of support you will need and to make sure the office you work for has that support.
Insurance Agent
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 December 2016
Working with Sun Life is a very good experience. I have done a lot of cold calls and contacts from referrals. I love working with people that is one reason I choose insurance. I am very good with customer service also.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
Commission base only
Strong performing company with a clear direction.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
The company has a set of values and core pillars of growth that drives the business forward. Because business is growing, it is constantly busy. Expect a tremendous amount of work to be completed quickly with accuracy. A high performance culture drives the workforce. Overall a good company with many opportunities.
financial advisor
Financial Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 November 2016
.prospect clients and promote financial products
.prepare financial analysis report to manager
.maintain good relationship with clients
.attend sales events and seminars
Great culture but big company with too many processes
SENIOR SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Depending on your department, mine has a big problem with management. There's no advancement possible in admin. You are treated like if your are the b* of the office, while all your team members get recognized and gets trip all over the world, you will get to stay at the office and do everything without having any recognition. BUT, work hours are pretty flexible and the company overall has a great culture.
Pros
Free lunches, great job culture
Cons
No advancement, low salary, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.