Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Dedicated Company to their Advisors and Clients
Group Benefits SunAdvantage Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2014
Working in the Group Benefits Sales area is fast pace, motivating and self driven.
Knowledge in group benefits in all area is of utmost importance and you learn something new everyday. Every task gives you a sense of accomplishment.
You are required to work independently, and if needed your co-workers and manager are there to discuss and resolve any issues.
The most challenging and enjoyable part of the job is meeting the turnaround times. We do rely on other sources for information, and in the sales area timing of responses are crucial. It is challenging for me as I strive in providing great customer services by being able to respond right away. When I am not able to, it is important to inform the waiting recipient right and provide a timeline for expectation.
I take pride in my job and in building relationships. This only results in excellent service!
Pros
Able to work independently, Job task gives you a sense of accomplishment
Cons
Fast-paced environment with constant learning and a high performance culture.
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Ontario1 November 2013
A typical day involves taking calls, resolving customer inquiries and providing a high degree of customer satisfaction. I use several databases each day and on each call. I review claims provide coverage details, maintain files, and promote products and services. I review my call statistics throughout the day and strive for efficiency. I have learned a great deal about medical benefits and the structure of group contracts. I have also learned valuable and transferable computer skills. Management is supportive and always finding ways to collaborate in order to improve workplace satisfaction and business needs. My coworkers are a lot of fun and always willing to discuss the knowledge and material that we all deal with on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job is that the customer is on the line while you complete all of the work, this can be challenging but the pressure helps get the job done and it keeps the day interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers are truly appreciative of and happy with the service.
Excellent benefits and positive work environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 May 2016
Managers are very supportive and are more than willing to help you with any situation; they will even come with you to meet clients.
work hard and pay hard job
Rockie Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
two meetings everyweek, need to be attended at 9am for the meetings to learn new products and share store about what you do to the clients. The hartest part is doing the cold-calling. you need to take rejects all the time.
Excellent team, management needs to improve
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montreal4 May 2015
If you get friendly with management, you will have more chance for advancement than your work will ever do. Just to give you an idea.
Pros
great people, great benefits
Cons
bad management, high turnover
workplace environment
QA Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 April 2016
Firstly i need to say thank s to this organization where i got a opportunity to explore myself much better ,where i learnt a lot of new things .I also thank to my team where the staff are very deciated towards their work in delivering quality software the endusers.
Very structured, easy to get into system and start working
Senior Consultant (Test Lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2016
Systems, processes are well structured and people are very helpful.
I got chance to learn and work on many technologies.
Pros
structured environment
Cons
i don't know any
Great opportunities
Sales Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 May 2016
I learned a lot. The training that they provide is excellent and applicable. Very enjoyable work environment. I would recommend to anyone in a sales role that is looking for more.
Hired overqualified representatives with little room to advance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo3 May 2016
Very simple but hectic job; phone is always ringing and little time for projects or improving one's self, even for the company.
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 February 2016
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
Pros
great people, great incentives
Cons
Best place I've worked so far
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 May 2016
Very friendly staff. Every client would receive a freshly made novelty coffee. Its like a home away from home. Very welcoming and the Owner/entrepreneur knows how to live life :)
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB18 March 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Variety, Full, Fun and busy
IT BUSINESS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2014
There was always so much I was expose to in SLF no matter what my role. We were free to learn more, move forward and contribute to the growth or changing ways of SLF and it's direction.

Felt alive and excited working for SLF never a dry moment and the people were fantastic!
Pros
Cons
Benefits could have been at full coverage
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
Interactive customer-centred workplace with great employees
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2013
-answered incoming inquiries about customer benefit packages, assisted with online services and clarified how their benefits work
-multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
-time management
-problem solving
-pleasant and up-beat co-workers
Pros
work from home, great team environment
Cons
tight call time constraints
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2016
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Pros
decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons
insecurity
Good technology
Senior Systems Analyst/System Designer (Former Employee) –  North York9 March 2015
Good IT technology - very stable.
Able to increase the breath of types of systems, processes and projects that I worked on. Typically, people worked collaboratively, with some exceptions. Most development performed off-shore.
Pros
Stable systems, decent benefits
work culture
.Net developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2015
. The very first day of my work, I got bunch of documentation on the current project. It took 3 days time for me, to understand what is going on around.

. I am lucky enough to work under the management, who is more loyal to employees. My management gave me a chance to improve my technical skills in the field of work.

. My co- employees are also kind enough to thought me, the areas of difficulties in the work. They are very social and innovative. I learned lot from my co- workers about, how to be competent.

.Sometimes(project dead lines), I felt little bit difficult to manage the time between personal and professional. But, in the end when we completed the task, the over all time spent on it was worthwhile.
Pros
We often have team lunches, and flexible work hours.
Cons
Long
Flexible work schedule, fast paced work environment.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2013
Working for Sun Life Financial has its ups and downs. In terms of flexibility, Sun Life Financial provided a good balance between work life and social life. The staff was great, provided excellent support. The downs, however, is what has forced me to look for other opportunities. As an advisor, there is only so much you can do for the client but at the end of the day it is up to the client if he/she will take the policy or not. I am a very driven individual and I spend hours building presentations and preparing documents for my clients. At the end of the day, I like to be in control of my productivity but with a commission based salary, if a client makes you do all this work and then decides not to go through with it, it can be very frustrating. I am intrigued by the insurance industry because of what it is capable of doing. In terms of leveraging your risk, insurance is a great asset. I enjoy meeting with clients and being out on the field. One of my biggest strengths is the ability to have a conversation with an individual and really get a sense of what they are thinking and if their is any possibility of a business transaction. Working with Sun Life Financial has definitely thought me how to run my own business, be organized as a professional and how to balance my work and social life.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Stressful environment, commission based salary
Exciting and Fun place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 February 2015
I really enjoyed my employment with Sun Life Financial, not only because of the fact we are helping people find financial security, but the management team made being at the office a very happy place to be. The financial center in Kitchener was just like one big family, everyone was always competitive with each other, but everybody helped each other as well. I always enjoyed sharing tips and tricks on unique sales techniques with my fellow advisors.
Their are definitely highs and lows that come along with a 100% commissions career, but the lows were easy to overcome because of the support system we had.
With Sun Life, your constantly learning new things, and they really made learning a lot of fun.
Pros
Excellent management team
Cons
100% Commissions is stressful