Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Excellent benefits and positive work environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 May 2016
Managers are very supportive and are more than willing to help you with any situation; they will even come with you to meet clients.
Great opportunities
Sales Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 May 2016
I learned a lot. The training that they provide is excellent and applicable. Very enjoyable work environment. I would recommend to anyone in a sales role that is looking for more.
Flexible, work life balance
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2016
Very encouraging management team with great coworkers and culture. Need a lot of connections, 100% commissions. Very hard to find new clients if you don't already have a large network.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
100% commissions
Best place I've worked so far
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC10 May 2016
Very friendly staff. Every client would receive a freshly made novelty coffee. Its like a home away from home. Very welcoming and the Owner/entrepreneur knows how to live life :)
Hired overqualified representatives with little room to advance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo3 May 2016
Very simple but hectic job; phone is always ringing and little time for projects or improving one's self, even for the company.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2015
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
Pros
Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons
Not the industry I want to see myself work in
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB18 March 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Sun LIfe
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 April 2016
Good place to work, but commission only, Hove to prospect for your own clients. and be prepared for 2 years to build up your business
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Commision only
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 February 2016
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
Pros
great people, great incentives
Productive workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 March 2016
This office was very welcoming and I enjoyed my time working there. I learned a lot about customer service and improved my communication skills.
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 October 2015
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Pros
Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons
Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 November 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
Senior Intake & Change Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2016
Great place to work in a senior setting, the supportive management style gives the employee the ability to further develop their skill sets.I would highly recommend SLF.
work culture
.Net developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2015
. The very first day of my work, I got bunch of documentation on the current project. It took 3 days time for me, to understand what is going on around.

. I am lucky enough to work under the management, who is more loyal to employees. My management gave me a chance to improve my technical skills in the field of work.

. My co- employees are also kind enough to thought me, the areas of difficulties in the work. They are very social and innovative. I learned lot from my co- workers about, how to be competent.

.Sometimes(project dead lines), I felt little bit difficult to manage the time between personal and professional. But, in the end when we completed the task, the over all time spent on it was worthwhile.
Pros
We often have team lunches, and flexible work hours.
Cons
Long
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2015
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Long hours of sitting
Was a great company to start with however all changed with the selling of the US Annuities
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 December 2015
Very secretive about Jobs future with selling Annuities, once informed closing Canadian office was strung along with closing date for over a year
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 December 2015
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Pros
American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons
had to work canadian holidays
Professional Easy going work environment
Application Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 December 2015
Professional, Easy going, laid back and productive! Business environment. Company is an insurance company and a large company, however flex time and hours, lots of work from home opportunities.
Dynamic work environment with great coworkers, good benefits, good pay, and good work hours.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 August 2015
I loved this job. The constant monitoring of all metrics sometimes got tiring but it made for achievable goals which was rewarding. The culture and my coworkers made what could have sometimes been a tedious job enjoyable. Honestly, had my division not been sold, I would still be there.
Pros
Work hours, salary, annual bonuses and raises, work culture.
Cons
Being tied to the phones, unable to give out personal extention to provice better customer service.