Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 26, 2015
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Pros
Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons
Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Long hours of sitting
Competitive and Rewarding
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 25, 2016
Great benefits, wonderful management, terrific room for advancement and personal growth/developement
Would not recommend this company to anyone
LTD Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCJune 26, 2013
Very interesting and engaging work. The people there are the best I've ever worked with. It was a great place to learn, if you are able to learn on the job.
However, the culture is one of ever increasing demands and less resources/time to accomplish anything. Management is a problem. The left hand rarely knows what the right hand is doing. They are not transparent and do not lead by example. This company is unfortunately notorious in the insurance industry for creating a toxic atmosphere and has consistently done so, company-wide, since the 1970's. This all leads to a turn-over rate that is still exceedingly high.
The benefits are outstanding. The salary is on the low end of the range for this position, and having a healthy work-life balance is a toss-up depending on many variables.
Most of this cannot be applied to the company as a whole, as I do not have first hand experience with the whole company.
Pros
great people, good place to learn, great benefits.
Cons
poor management, poor training, low salary, mid-to-poor work-life balance.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 30, 2015
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
Pros
Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons
Not the industry I want to see myself work in
Productive workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 11, 2016
This office was very welcoming and I enjoyed my time working there. I learned a lot about customer service and improved my communication skills.
Dedicated Company to their Advisors and Clients
Group Benefits SunAdvantage Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2014
Working in the Group Benefits Sales area is fast pace, motivating and self driven.
Knowledge in group benefits in all area is of utmost importance and you learn something new everyday. Every task gives you a sense of accomplishment.
You are required to work independently, and if needed your co-workers and manager are there to discuss and resolve any issues.
The most challenging and enjoyable part of the job is meeting the turnaround times. We do rely on other sources for information, and in the sales area timing of responses are crucial. It is challenging for me as I strive in providing great customer services by being able to respond right away. When I am not able to, it is important to inform the waiting recipient right and provide a timeline for expectation.
I take pride in my job and in building relationships. This only results in excellent service!
Pros
able to work independently, job task gives you a sense of accomplishment
It was a very good place to work for.
Member Service Specialist/Call Centre (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONOctober 2, 2012
My main role was initially managing customer information, organizing files and conducting data entry. From here I branched into Client Services, explaining benefits to clients in detail in a professional manner. The management was excellent, with a very positive corporate culture that encouraged growth and positivity. My co-workers were a highlight of the job, and I enjoyed the opportunity to expand my knowledge base about Compensation and Benefits.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
limited growth opportunities
employee's where rewarded accoringly for a job well done,
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
I enjoyed the fifteen years I worked with Sun Life Financial.
I learned a great deal about Dental and Medical coverage.
My co-workers where friendly,I had a instant bond with all my co-workers and as the years passed I looked at them as family rather then co-workers this included Team Leaders, Managers, and Directors. The hardest part of the job was managing the hi volume of calls during peak hours...( we never had enough bodies to manage the magnitude of callers) The sallary was excellent the rewards programs was attainable and regardless of the position
I held with Sun Life Financial I always felt valuable to the company.
Pros
excellent sallary, health & dental benefits provided
Cons
hi volume of calls during peak hours
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 16, 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
Positive Environment with Excellent Staff
Compensation & Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2012
Cons
contract only.
I'm glad I made the move!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 29, 2016
I have been a Financial Advisor with Sun Life Financial for a little over 2 years now and I can honestly rate the role, most specifically the financial centre where I work, truly outstanding. Since starting 2 years ago I have had the opportunity to assist my friends, family, and anyone who have been referred to me with their financial planning. I asked myself "why not?" Every household needs the solutions Sun Life Financial provides anyway so I'd rather get paid for it instead of the banks. I'm so glad I made the move to pursue the Financial Advisor career as I have always wanted to run my own financial services firm. This role is not for the "employee-minded" individual. You've got to have the entrepreneurial mindset as the main objective to succeed in this role is effective business development. Otherwise, you would end up like the other individuals who have left negative reviews here on Indeed. It is a challenging role as there are some factors you cannot control (eg. cancelled appointments, declined/cancelled plans). However, the positives heavily outweighs the challenges and hence it makes it rewarding. Our branch has multiple Hall of Famers and that is a true testament to the great culture and support that we receive at our financial centre. Training & development programs from Sun Life are certainly industry-best and you won't receive this same treatment from any other independent/brokerage firms. Lastly, the members of our management team were former top performers themselves and so all I do is consistently apply the same effective strategies that my managers and senior  more... financial advisors have been doing.  less
Pros
Outstanding support system; Above average income; residual income
Cons
Revenue fluctuates just like any business
Fast-paced environment with constant learning and a high performance culture.
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo OntarioNovember 1, 2013
A typical day involves taking calls, resolving customer inquiries and providing a high degree of customer satisfaction. I use several databases each day and on each call. I review claims provide coverage details, maintain files, and promote products and services. I review my call statistics throughout the day and strive for efficiency. I have learned a great deal about medical benefits and the structure of group contracts. I have also learned valuable and transferable computer skills. Management is supportive and always finding ways to collaborate in order to improve workplace satisfaction and business needs. My coworkers are a lot of fun and always willing to discuss the knowledge and material that we all deal with on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job is that the customer is on the line while you complete all of the work, this can be challenging but the pressure helps get the job done and it keeps the day interesting. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers are truly appreciative of and happy with the service.
Good technology
Senior Systems Analyst/System Designer (Former Employee) –  North YorkMarch 9, 2015
Good IT technology - very stable.
Able to increase the breath of types of systems, processes and projects that I worked on. Typically, people worked collaboratively, with some exceptions. Most development performed off-shore.
Pros
stable systems, decent benefits
Was a great company to start with however all changed with the selling of the US Annuities
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABDecember 29, 2015
Very secretive about Jobs future with selling Annuities, once informed closing Canadian office was strung along with closing date for over a year
Exciting and Fun place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my employment with Sun Life Financial, not only because of the fact we are helping people find financial security, but the management team made being at the office a very happy place to be. The financial center in Kitchener was just like one big family, everyone was always competitive with each other, but everybody helped each other as well. I always enjoyed sharing tips and tricks on unique sales techniques with my fellow advisors.
Their are definitely highs and lows that come along with a 100% commissions career, but the lows were easy to overcome because of the support system we had.
With Sun Life, your constantly learning new things, and they really made learning a lot of fun.
Pros
excellent management team
Cons
100% commissions is stressful
Difficult to sell, very competative, good working with clients
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brantford Ont.September 16, 2015
Would not get into this again. Too many people are negative towards insurance. Co-workers were good.

Had one senior advisor that became my mentor, and he taught me a lot. I'm grateful to him.
Pros
working with my clients
Professional Easy going work environment
Application Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 1, 2015
Professional, Easy going, laid back and productive! Business environment. Company is an insurance company and a large company, however flex time and hours, lots of work from home opportunities.
Great working environment
FINANCIAL SERVICES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2015
Large call centre team where agents are required to assist terminated or retired member. Agents must upsell to members with additional products.
Life is brighter under the sun!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 27, 2015
Life is brighter under the sun!

You ca be your own boss, work on your own schedule and great when qualified during campaigns and convention.
Pros
flexible
Cons
level salary