Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Warm and welcoming place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC18 October 2016
Working at Sun Life was a great experience. I gave me the opportunity to learn a lot of the financial world and how to be organized in business. It was a great place to work.
due to down sizing I had to leave
Finance/Insurance/Retirement Planning (Former Employee) –  king street17 October 2016
due to down sizing I had to leave. I liked working in Sunlife. Great company with great benefits and good people to work with. many opportunities in the company for growth.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
downsizing
Highly productive environment
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
My day begins late afternoon.
I've learned how to maintain and surpass my targets.
Management are friendly and helpful
Co-workers are pleasant
Most difficult part of the job, really can't think of anything at this time
The most enjoyable part of the job is the different tasks that I perform
Pros
Flexible breaks
Cons
afternoon shift
Good company
Group Medical Underwriting Admin/Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2016
Good company to work for. Pay is decent. Downfall is no onsite parking for new or contract employees. A bus is used to transport employees to the various sites. Could add on an additional 20-30 to your day.
Pros
good management
Cons
no onsite parking
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 October 2016
Great work environment. Friendly staff. Job was repetitive at times but that can be expected. Learned valuable experience working in office setting.
Cons
Flexible hours but heavy work load.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Flexible hours. Management is supportive. Benefits are good. Workload is heavy due to department being understaffed. Need to do overtime to finish work. Training is not well balanced but in the works and improvements are noted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
heavy workload
Great
Investigative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
I really love sun life . Work culture is good. They are supportive when it comes to work place home life balance . Benefits are available and geared towards to what your family needs
Too Many Sacrifices.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
It is a good place to work if you are single without a family and really like money. If you can invest the better part of your time into the career, you will be successful and make a lot, but you'll be making a lot of sacrifices for the first 3-5 years.
Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Great place to work!
Product Manager - Non-Participating Life (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 September 2016
Wonderful group of people to work with, and a company that values its employees and it's place in the community. Always made to feel part of the organization.
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 September 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 September 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
Advisor Assistant/Office Manager
Office Manager/Advisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 August 2016
I do this for a full time job, looking for work evenings and weekends. I have no intention of quitting my full time position.
Barely breath
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2016
you are trapped....

they make you feel tiny, unheard, unimportant and unappreciated.

I find one of the biggest hurdles with this company is that everyone seems to be working against each other, there is no unity. so much blame and guilt passed around. you do a million good things and you MIGHT get someone telling you "hey good job on that"... do something subpar for once, 10 people asking you whats going on.

you are monitored every second of everyday, make you feel guilty for going to the bathroom!
You can try and voice your opinion to everyone and anyone you can, everyone will give you the exact same answer from team lead to HR, "that's just how it is".

doesn't matter who you try to speak with or what you try to do, there is no help.

If you take a sick day, they call you 3-4 times throughout the day to make sure you're still sick and can't come into work.

there is an 18 (now 24) month commitment to the position before you can apply elsewhere in the company, I put in 2 years, applied and received an interview. The interviewer said everything shy of me getting the job, couldn't have gone better. I was told 2-3 days to hear from them, and hinted at hearing even sooner.

after 2.5 weeks, and me reaching out to the interviewer, the director and Human recourses several times, I finally received an email letting me know that although the interview was perfect and couldn't have gone better, she was limited to who she was allowed to choose.

I later found out that the manager put a hiring freeze on the call centre, meaning nobody is to be hired OUT of the call
  more... centre for other positions within the company until further notice. which in turn means that they hire externally. Although none of this is legal, I was advised my multiple managers/supervisors/team leads, that if I were to bring this to HR, it would make me look bad and they would "black list me"

All in All if I'm rating this position within this company, out of 10 I would have to go with a solid 3.
Pros
free apple a day
Cons
everything else
Sun Life
Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2016
I learned a lot about the corporate world. My co-workers were nice and happy to assist. Management is very approachable but not up to taking criticism.

For some reason can only mark 4 stars
Great enviroment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC8 August 2016
I worked with lots of great people and it was a fantastic enviroment. I have gained alot of experience and confidence from my employment with Sun Life
Learning Experience with good life balance
Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2016
Sunlife is the first step for me to work in the Financial Industry so its a knowledgeable journey for me. With every new day, there is something new to learn. It also helps me to maintain my personal and work balance. The most enjoyable part of this job is I get to meet new people everyday and become a part of their life to discuss their financial situation and to help new families.
Senior Project Manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2016
Responsible for a Bloomberg upgrade for all traders working for Sunlife.
Aided in the upgrade to cloud computing for insurance claims for external clients.
Worked with off shore partners for System integrated and coordinated user acceptance testing.
Implemented a vendor software which allowed for electronic storage of vital documents.
Pros
Good however I could not continue on this contract due to time on the role
Cons
Location was in Waterloo which was a very long commute for me from Whitby.
Good
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 July 2016
Excellent company but need to recruit more young people to continue the success of the company.
Implant new technology and hire new management in Montreal who understand the market.
Pros
high comission
Cons
management
Competitive and Rewarding
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 July 2016
Great benefits, wonderful management, terrific room for advancement and personal growth/developement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.