Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Long hours of sitting
All of my past work experience
Resolution Case Manager (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 2, 2015
Working for large corporations or small business, it has been a great experience and eye opener.
Adapted and enjoyed each company I have been employed by. I had different responsibilities and work environment.
Seems I always deal with customers on the phones or face to face.
With Toyota Credit Canada Inc, was involved in customer service, call centre. Helping or answering questions for customers /dealers of their contracts for loans or leases of a vehicle.
At a work force we meet lots of people, co-workers and management. I have made long lasting friends,
As a personnel view, we all need improvement in one way or another. Could be structure of company, politics, way its managed .... to the small person in the front line. We all need to grow !
We do not go by a day, that we do not learn something new !
The hardest or enjoyable part of a job, is satisfaction.
For me, as a customer service agent, its important that I have answered all questions and resolved the issue. At times we get that challenging customer ( as my years of experience), each one person is so different from another. My view at this is just breath and have the customer his/her time to speak out, than take control. Need to have good listening skills, patient and empathy.
The most enjoyable part of my job, was working as a Team....
Learning/helping another co-worker .
Pros
knowledge, learning, new challenges.
Cons
Not having the right training fore a new position
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Pros
decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons
insecurity
productive and fun place to work
QA Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 13, 2016
productive and fun place to work.Positive and enthusiasm working environment. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads. Ideas are considered and everyone's perspective is valuable.
workplace environment
QA Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2016
Firstly i need to say thank s to this organization where i got a opportunity to explore myself much better ,where i learnt a lot of new things .I also thank to my team where the staff are very deciated towards their work in delivering quality software the endusers.
Good company to work for
Procurement Consultant - Sourcing Services (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 25, 2016
Good company to work for as it is one of the largest and reputable Insurance companies in Canada. Offers a work life balance which is an added bonus. Great company with career growth opportunities. Highly recommend.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Pros
American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons
had to work canadian holidays
great place to learn
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 27, 2016
Fun and relaxing environment, Management team always willing and able to assist in closing sale. Sent to various different learning schools to get a better understanding of company and products
Large Corporation with good benefits
Illegibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 14, 2016
It is a good company to work for, but does not suit what I am looking for in a job environment. Flexible working hours provide an easy way to have a positive home/work balance
work hard and pay hard job
Rockie Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
two meetings everyweek, need to be attended at 9am for the meetings to learn new products and share store about what you do to the clients. The hartest part is doing the cold-calling. you need to take rejects all the time.
Very structured, easy to get into system and start working
Senior Consultant (Test Lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
Systems, processes are well structured and people are very helpful.
I got chance to learn and work on many technologies.
Pros
structured environment
Cons
i don't know any
growth opportunities
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2016
- Good health benefits and retirements products
- Innovation opportunities

- Lack of work/life balance
- High expectations from management
Benefits
Cons
Long work hours
Great opportunities
Sales Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 10, 2016
I learned a lot. The training that they provide is excellent and applicable. Very enjoyable work environment. I would recommend to anyone in a sales role that is looking for more.
Easy going culture and very productive environment
Infrastructure Team (Current Employee) –  TorontoNovember 13, 2014
Working at SunLife during these couple months isn't bad and the work can be sometimes slow as a turtle or fast as a rocket. The management is okay, depends on the people you are under and their style of leadership. The big bosses are very knowledgeable, willing to listen from the grunts when opportunities are given.

Very flexible work hours, understanding managers when it comes to family issues or any time of injuries. As long as you are productive in your job and most people won't mind what you are doing.

However if you are looking for promotions, then it would be a different story and most opportunity to be manager or higher are very limited. Most people has been here as seniors for the longest period of their careers.
Pros
free food, friendly environment, flexible work hours
Cons
salary, job advancement, commute, full benefit coverage, long work hours with little pay
Excellent benefits and positive work environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 26, 2016
Managers are very supportive and are more than willing to help you with any situation; they will even come with you to meet clients.
Good people, good culture
Business Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 21, 2016
My team in particular is a really great team to work in, my manager and my colleagues supported me and it's generally a warm atmosphere in my team.
Flexible, work life balance
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Very encouraging management team with great coworkers and culture. Need a lot of connections, 100% commissions. Very hard to find new clients if you don't already have a large network.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
100% commissions
Hired overqualified representatives with little room to advance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  WaterlooMay 3, 2016
Very simple but hectic job; phone is always ringing and little time for projects or improving one's self, even for the company.
Best place I've worked so far
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 10, 2016
Very friendly staff. Every client would receive a freshly made novelty coffee. Its like a home away from home. Very welcoming and the Owner/entrepreneur knows how to live life :)
Great people!
Financial Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 16, 2016
Commission based work is tough, but the managers are very supportive and actively help advisors develop their own business.