Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Good company
Group Medical Underwriting Admin/Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2016
Good company to work for. Pay is decent. Downfall is no onsite parking for new or contract employees. A bus is used to transport employees to the various sites. Could add on an additional 20-30 to your day.
Pros
good management
Cons
no onsite parking
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Fun place to work
Marketing Consultant - Special Markets Chinese (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 November 2016
advancement is hard it seems pretty hard to move past lv 6 and the work life balance seems to be non existent above lv 5.
Dont really like the job rank system but the work place is filled with great people
Fun & Relax Environment
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC11 July 2016
Great Location.
Wonderful coworkers from all cultures.
Basic reception secretarial duties.

Best parts of the job were taking on special event coordination like award ceremonies and charity events.

Most challenging but rewarding part of the job was learning and working with multiple software systems catered to Sunlife.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Parking
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
due to down sizing I had to leave
Finance/Insurance/Retirement Planning (Former Employee) –  king street17 October 2016
due to down sizing I had to leave. I liked working in Sunlife. Great company with great benefits and good people to work with. many opportunities in the company for growth.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
downsizing
Too Many Sacrifices.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
It is a good place to work if you are single without a family and really like money. If you can invest the better part of your time into the career, you will be successful and make a lot, but you'll be making a lot of sacrifices for the first 3-5 years.
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 September 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 December 2016
Sunlife gives you the oppurtunity to grow and offers a great work environment. Lots of learning oppurtunities. Amicable co owrkers. Tim Hortons and Starbucks on the premise:-)
financial advisor
Financial Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 November 2016
.prospect clients and promote financial products
.prepare financial analysis report to manager
.maintain good relationship with clients
.attend sales events and seminars
Commission and bonus structure not as explained and communicated during the recruitment process
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
You need to be passionate about what you do, you need to be very focused and self-accountable, self-motivated. The potential to earn a high income is there but there are several drawbacks to the actual commission payouts. You are 100% commission based and you will at times have to repay commissions when policies are lapsed, cancelled, terminated or declined.
Warm and welcoming place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC18 October 2016
Working at Sun Life was a great experience. I gave me the opportunity to learn a lot of the financial world and how to be organized in business. It was a great place to work.
Most are productive, enjoyable and encourage creativity.
Senior Client Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON31 May 2016
Majority of the time your day goes by quickly with managing a block of business and being a direct contact for employers.

What I love about my job is working one on one with employers, helping resolve any issues or concerns that they may have with their investments for the employees. It is very satisfying.

In this role you never stop learning as legislation is always changing, processes are always changing as there is always process improvements.
Poor with the exception of Management positions
Client Service Administrator - Corporate Accts (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 January 2017
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians! Always pressuring staff to come up with better ways to do business and to save money with as little resources as possible. That is a welcoming suggestion and can work but to push it on staff repeatedly when we've already reached our peak is mind numbing! Overtime is expected to keep up... customer service goes down as you cannot keep up with daily expectations. This worked against my work ethic as I truly believe that if you gain business opportunities through your sales force promising great service and then you don't deliver - you lose the client and and the effort of the sales force. Management then expects YOU to do your best to retain that client. It's not fair to the client, sales force or staff. I was glad when I was told my job had moved to Montreal as I didn't know what to say to client's anymore. I couldn't keep up with client expectations and the Sun Life surely didn't want us to tell the client's why... so it started to appear that staff wasn't up to par! Not Fair!
Pros
Staff
Great
Investigative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
I really love sun life . Work culture is good. They are supportive when it comes to work place home life balance . Benefits are available and geared towards to what your family needs
Great place to work!
Product Manager - Non-Participating Life (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 September 2016
Wonderful group of people to work with, and a company that values its employees and it's place in the community. Always made to feel part of the organization.
Well rounded company
Assist business units (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 December 2016
It is a great company to work for and it promotes employees career developments. Always updating with new technologies.
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 October 2016
Great work environment. Friendly staff. Job was repetitive at times but that can be expected. Learned valuable experience working in office setting.
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 April 2016
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Pros
Training
Cons
Good
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 July 2016
Excellent company but need to recruit more young people to continue the success of the company.
Implant new technology and hire new management in Montreal who understand the market.
Pros
high comission
Cons
management