Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Great place to work!
Product Manager - Non-Participating Life (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 September 2016
Wonderful group of people to work with, and a company that values its employees and it's place in the community. Always made to feel part of the organization.
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 September 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 September 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
Advisor Assistant/Office Manager
Office Manager/Advisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 August 2016
I do this for a full time job, looking for work evenings and weekends. I have no intention of quitting my full time position.
Sun Life
Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2016
I learned a lot about the corporate world. My co-workers were nice and happy to assist. Management is very approachable but not up to taking criticism.

For some reason can only mark 4 stars
Great enviroment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC8 August 2016
I worked with lots of great people and it was a fantastic enviroment. I have gained alot of experience and confidence from my employment with Sun Life
Learning Experience with good life balance
Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2016
Sunlife is the first step for me to work in the Financial Industry so its a knowledgeable journey for me. With every new day, there is something new to learn. It also helps me to maintain my personal and work balance. The most enjoyable part of this job is I get to meet new people everyday and become a part of their life to discuss their financial situation and to help new families.
Senior Project Manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2016
Responsible for a Bloomberg upgrade for all traders working for Sunlife.
Aided in the upgrade to cloud computing for insurance claims for external clients.
Worked with off shore partners for System integrated and coordinated user acceptance testing.
Implemented a vendor software which allowed for electronic storage of vital documents.
Pros
Good however I could not continue on this contract due to time on the role
Cons
Location was in Waterloo which was a very long commute for me from Whitby.
Good
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 July 2016
Excellent company but need to recruit more young people to continue the success of the company.
Implant new technology and hire new management in Montreal who understand the market.
Pros
high comission
Cons
management
Competitive and Rewarding
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 July 2016
Great benefits, wonderful management, terrific room for advancement and personal growth/developement
Friendly working environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 July 2016
Great co-workers make job fun and interesting. They understand when family issues come up, and give priority to taking care of family.
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Good people, good culture
Business Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 July 2016
My team in particular is a really great team to work in, my manager and my colleagues supported me and it's generally a warm atmosphere in my team.
Great people!
Financial Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 July 2016
Commission based work is tough, but the managers are very supportive and actively help advisors develop their own business.
Large Corporation with good benefits
Illegibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 July 2016
It is a good company to work for, but does not suit what I am looking for in a job environment. Flexible working hours provide an easy way to have a positive home/work balance
Fun & Relax Environment
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC11 July 2016
Great Location.
Wonderful coworkers from all cultures.
Basic reception secretarial duties.

Best parts of the job were taking on special event coordination like award ceremonies and charity events.

Most challenging but rewarding part of the job was learning and working with multiple software systems catered to Sunlife.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Parking
growth opportunities
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
- Good health benefits and retirements products
- Innovation opportunities

- Lack of work/life balance
- High expectations from management
Benefits
Cons
Long work hours
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
I'm glad I made the move!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 June 2016
I have been a Financial Advisor with Sun Life Financial for a little over 2 years now and I can honestly rate the role, most specifically the financial centre where I work, truly outstanding. Since starting 2 years ago I have had the opportunity to assist my friends, family, and anyone who have been referred to me with their financial planning. I asked myself "why not?" Every household needs the solutions Sun Life Financial provides anyway so I'd rather get paid for it instead of the banks. I'm so glad I made the move to pursue the Financial Advisor career as I have always wanted to run my own financial services firm. This role is not for the "employee-minded" individual. You've got to have the entrepreneurial mindset as the main objective to succeed in this role is effective business development. Otherwise, you would end up like the other individuals who have left negative reviews here on Indeed. It is a challenging role as there are some factors you cannot control (eg. cancelled appointments, declined/cancelled plans). However, the positives heavily outweighs the challenges and hence it makes it rewarding. Our branch has multiple Hall of Famers and that is a true testament to the great culture and support that we receive at our financial centre. Training & development programs from Sun Life are certainly industry-best and you won't receive this same treatment from any other independent/brokerage firms. Lastly, the members of our management team were former top performers themselves and so all I do is consistently apply the same effective strategies that my managers and senior  more... financial advisors have been doing.  less
Pros
Outstanding support system; Above average income; residual income
Cons
Revenue fluctuates just like any business