Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Flexible hours but heavy work load.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Flexible hours. Management is supportive. Benefits are good. Workload is heavy due to department being understaffed. Need to do overtime to finish work. Training is not well balanced but in the works and improvements are noted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
heavy workload
Senior Project Manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2016
Responsible for a Bloomberg upgrade for all traders working for Sunlife.
Aided in the upgrade to cloud computing for insurance claims for external clients.
Worked with off shore partners for System integrated and coordinated user acceptance testing.
Implemented a vendor software which allowed for electronic storage of vital documents.
Pros
Good however I could not continue on this contract due to time on the role
Cons
Location was in Waterloo which was a very long commute for me from Whitby.
Fun place to work
Marketing Consultant - Special Markets Chinese (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 November 2016
advancement is hard it seems pretty hard to move past lv 6 and the work life balance seems to be non existent above lv 5.
Dont really like the job rank system but the work place is filled with great people
Good company
Group Medical Underwriting Admin/Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2016
Good company to work for. Pay is decent. Downfall is no onsite parking for new or contract employees. A bus is used to transport employees to the various sites. Could add on an additional 20-30 to your day.
Pros
good management
Cons
no onsite parking
Excellent company to work for
DATA ENTRY ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2017
Even though I had a short time experience with this company, my time there was worth it. The staff and management were very detailed in what was expected, it made the days very enjoyable.
due to down sizing I had to leave
Finance/Insurance/Retirement Planning (Former Employee) –  king street17 October 2016
due to down sizing I had to leave. I liked working in Sunlife. Great company with great benefits and good people to work with. many opportunities in the company for growth.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
downsizing
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Very good work atmosphere
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2017
Well managed and stable company. Best working conditions I have experienced. Colleagues were very professional, offices are well appointed and very flexible work schedule.
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 December 2016
Sunlife gives you the oppurtunity to grow and offers a great work environment. Lots of learning oppurtunities. Amicable co owrkers. Tim Hortons and Starbucks on the premise:-)
Too Many Sacrifices.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
It is a good place to work if you are single without a family and really like money. If you can invest the better part of your time into the career, you will be successful and make a lot, but you'll be making a lot of sacrifices for the first 3-5 years.
Fun & Relax Environment
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC11 July 2016
Great Location.
Wonderful coworkers from all cultures.
Basic reception secretarial duties.

Best parts of the job were taking on special event coordination like award ceremonies and charity events.

Most challenging but rewarding part of the job was learning and working with multiple software systems catered to Sunlife.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Parking
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
financial advisor
Financial Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 November 2016
.prospect clients and promote financial products
.prepare financial analysis report to manager
.maintain good relationship with clients
.attend sales events and seminars
Poor with the exception of Management positions
Client Service Administrator - Corporate Accts (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 January 2017
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians! Always pressuring staff to come up with better ways to do business and to save money with as little resources as possible. That is a welcoming suggestion and can work but to push it on staff repeatedly when we've already reached our peak is mind numbing! Overtime is expected to keep up... customer service goes down as you cannot keep up with daily expectations. This worked against my work ethic as I truly believe that if you gain business opportunities through your sales force promising great service and then you don't deliver - you lose the client and and the effort of the sales force. Management then expects YOU to do your best to retain that client. It's not fair to the client, sales force or staff. I was glad when I was told my job had moved to Montreal as I didn't know what to say to client's anymore. I couldn't keep up with client expectations and the Sun Life surely didn't want us to tell the client's why... so it started to appear that staff wasn't up to par! Not Fair!
Pros
Staff
Cons
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 September 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
Excellent company
Internal Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 January 2017
Sun Life is an excellent company, which feels like an extended family. The work life balance is fair, and everyone treats one another with dignity and respect.
Warm and welcoming place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC18 October 2016
Working at Sun Life was a great experience. I gave me the opportunity to learn a lot of the financial world and how to be organized in business. It was a great place to work.
Great Company
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Great Company to work for.
Flexible time lines.
Great Company culture
Great people
Allows you to work from home
Internal systems are great
Commission and bonus structure not as explained and communicated during the recruitment process
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
You need to be passionate about what you do, you need to be very focused and self-accountable, self-motivated. The potential to earn a high income is there but there are several drawbacks to the actual commission payouts. You are 100% commission based and you will at times have to repay commissions when policies are lapsed, cancelled, terminated or declined.
Good place
Investment Consultant/ Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Great place to work for job security and work/life balance. However, compensation levels are lower than industry average.