Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Pros
Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons
can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Pros
Make as much as you want.
Cons
Long hours, Very stressful
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Pros
Focus on innovation and growth
Cons
No work-life balance
Dynamic work environment with great coworkers, good benefits, good pay, and good work hours.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABAugust 13, 2015
I loved this job. The constant monitoring of all metrics sometimes got tiring but it made for achievable goals which was rewarding. The culture and my coworkers made what could have sometimes been a tedious job enjoyable. Honestly, had my division not been sold, I would still be there.
Pros
Work hours, salary, annual bonuses and raises, work culture.
Cons
Being tied to the phones, unable to give out personal extention to provice better customer service.
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
Productive, fast paced working environment
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2016
I started out at Sun Life successfully and happy. I exceled in my first role and I was promoted just over 6 months after I was hired. In the Client Services role I worked independently but also relied on my team to continue to learn and keep up with the ever changing role. After a year they closed the office and transitioned everyone to work from home. The management team has removed several good resources from my grasp (can no longer ask peers for help, have to rely on an internal search engine) and due to the fast paced environment of a call center I did not learn as quicky as I used to. Management began to expect more from us without proper training and guidance for all learning types. I learn by watching and doing, and this was no longer available to me.
Pros
Benefits, annual salary, helpful peers
Cons
Unhelpful management, worked from home
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
Pros
Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons
Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
work culture
.Net developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 24, 2015
. The very first day of my work, I got bunch of documentation on the current project. It took 3 days time for me, to understand what is going on around.

. I am lucky enough to work under the management, who is more loyal to employees. My management gave me a chance to improve my technical skills in the field of work.

. My co- employees are also kind enough to thought me, the areas of difficulties in the work. They are very social and innovative. I learned lot from my co- workers about, how to be competent.

.Sometimes(project dead lines), I felt little bit difficult to manage the time between personal and professional. But, in the end when we completed the task, the over all time spent on it was worthwhile.
Pros
We often have team lunches, and flexible work hours.
Cons
Long
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Pros
Training
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
Pros
great people, great incentives
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 18, 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Sun LIfe
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 1, 2016
Good place to work, but commission only, Hove to prospect for your own clients. and be prepared for 2 years to build up your business
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Commision only
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 16, 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
Senior Intake & Change Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Great place to work in a senior setting, the supportive management style gives the employee the ability to further develop their skill sets.I would highly recommend SLF.
Exciting and Fun place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 26, 2015
I really enjoyed my employment with Sun Life Financial, not only because of the fact we are helping people find financial security, but the management team made being at the office a very happy place to be. The financial center in Kitchener was just like one big family, everyone was always competitive with each other, but everybody helped each other as well. I always enjoyed sharing tips and tricks on unique sales techniques with my fellow advisors.
Their are definitely highs and lows that come along with a 100% commissions career, but the lows were easy to overcome because of the support system we had.
With Sun Life, your constantly learning new things, and they really made learning a lot of fun.
Pros
excellent management team
Cons
100% commissions is stressful
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 26, 2015
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Pros
Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons
Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
All of my past work experience
Resolution Case Manager (Former Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 2, 2015
Working for large corporations or small business, it has been a great experience and eye opener.
Adapted and enjoyed each company I have been employed by. I had different responsibilities and work environment.
Seems I always deal with customers on the phones or face to face.
With Toyota Credit Canada Inc, was involved in customer service, call centre. Helping or answering questions for customers /dealers of their contracts for loans or leases of a vehicle.
At a work force we meet lots of people, co-workers and management. I have made long lasting friends,
As a personnel view, we all need improvement in one way or another. Could be structure of company, politics, way its managed .... to the small person in the front line. We all need to grow !
We do not go by a day, that we do not learn something new !
The hardest or enjoyable part of a job, is satisfaction.
For me, as a customer service agent, its important that I have answered all questions and resolved the issue. At times we get that challenging customer ( as my years of experience), each one person is so different from another. My view at this is just breath and have the customer his/her time to speak out, than take control. Need to have good listening skills, patient and empathy.
The most enjoyable part of my job, was working as a Team....
Learning/helping another co-worker .
Pros
knowledge, learning, new challenges.
Cons
Not having the right training fore a new position
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Long hours of sitting
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Pros
American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons
had to work canadian holidays
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Pros
decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons
insecurity