Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Great culture but big company with too many processes
SENIOR SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Depending on your department, mine has a big problem with management. There's no advancement possible in admin. You are treated like if your are the b* of the office, while all your team members get recognized and gets trip all over the world, you will get to stay at the office and do everything without having any recognition. BUT, work hours are pretty flexible and the company overall has a great culture.
Pros
Free lunches, great job culture
Cons
No advancement, low salary, management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 November 2016
Surprisingly progressive and forward-thinking for one of Canada's oldest companies. I always felt welcomed and valued as an employee. The training was comprehensive and my immediate supervisors were always available to take time to ensure that I had what I needed to do my job. Generally a fun and energetic workplace, I was in the call centre for Group Retirement Services. There were strict call handling metrics that you were expected to adhere to on the job.
Great company and Co-Workers
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton Peel27 November 2016
Sun Life is a rewarding company to be with. Only complaint is the Financial Centre manager in the Brampton Peel office. Not very supportive, negative attitude, self centred to his own objectives. As a female it can be frustrating dealing with him, intimidation is right up his alley. The good thing is that you really own your own business, so as long as you are staying within the compliance rules, you can ignore the manager. Overall rating is a little low due to the manager, but once he leaves or is replaced the office environment will be great.
Pros
Set your own hours for your lifestyle.
Cons
Poor manager, low office moral but is much better in other offices.
Good place to work.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
I worked for 2 Financial Advisors .
Keeping their schedules up to dates.
Making sure all forms and documents they need were available all the time.
Communicate with them via email, text and phone .
Support them on all their need to make their day went smooth.
Pros
Activities every Friday. Interaction between staff.
Cons
Because the type of job hardly to follow Hours of work.
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 September 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
Strong performing company with a clear direction.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
The company has a set of values and core pillars of growth that drives the business forward. Because business is growing, it is constantly busy. Expect a tremendous amount of work to be completed quickly with accuracy. A high performance culture drives the workforce. Overall a good company with many opportunities.
Highly productive environment
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
My day begins late afternoon.
I've learned how to maintain and surpass my targets.
Management are friendly and helpful
Co-workers are pleasant
Most difficult part of the job, really can't think of anything at this time
The most enjoyable part of the job is the different tasks that I perform
Pros
Flexible breaks
Cons
afternoon shift
Senior Project Manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2016
Responsible for a Bloomberg upgrade for all traders working for Sunlife.
Aided in the upgrade to cloud computing for insurance claims for external clients.
Worked with off shore partners for System integrated and coordinated user acceptance testing.
Implemented a vendor software which allowed for electronic storage of vital documents.
Pros
Good however I could not continue on this contract due to time on the role
Cons
Location was in Waterloo which was a very long commute for me from Whitby.
Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Learning Experience with good life balance
Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2016
Sunlife is the first step for me to work in the Financial Industry so its a knowledgeable journey for me. With every new day, there is something new to learn. It also helps me to maintain my personal and work balance. The most enjoyable part of this job is I get to meet new people everyday and become a part of their life to discuss their financial situation and to help new families.
Energetic place to work
Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
People were good and easy going. There were opportunities for advancement. Fast pace environment and good team work. Was a fast pace office and very busy. There was alot of variety on the job and it could be very challenging sometimes and lots to learn.
Pros
good management
Cons
could not work from hom
Fun filled place to work. Enjoy being a part of the team.
Financial & Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 October 2016
Very diverse culture in this environment. Everyone feels they belong here. One of the best experiences, is attending our regular Pot Lucks which we all look forward to. Non-stop team building initiatives.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Only Commission based
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Building your own Business
Wealth, Health, and Insurance Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
It is difficult to be a financial advisor with no block of business.
Prospecting - Commision only job.

It is important if you want to be a career agent to know what type of support you will need and to make sure the office you work for has that support.
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
Fun & Relax Environment
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC11 July 2016
Great Location.
Wonderful coworkers from all cultures.
Basic reception secretarial duties.

Best parts of the job were taking on special event coordination like award ceremonies and charity events.

Most challenging but rewarding part of the job was learning and working with multiple software systems catered to Sunlife.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Parking
Flexible hours but heavy work load.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Flexible hours. Management is supportive. Benefits are good. Workload is heavy due to department being understaffed. Need to do overtime to finish work. Training is not well balanced but in the works and improvements are noted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
heavy workload
Insurance Agent
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 December 2016
Working with Sun Life is a very good experience. I have done a lot of cold calls and contacts from referrals. I love working with people that is one reason I choose insurance. I am very good with customer service also.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
Commission base only
Good company
Group Medical Underwriting Admin/Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 October 2016
Good company to work for. Pay is decent. Downfall is no onsite parking for new or contract employees. A bus is used to transport employees to the various sites. Could add on an additional 20-30 to your day.
Pros
good management
Cons
no onsite parking
Commission and bonus structure not as explained and communicated during the recruitment process
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 June 2016
You need to be passionate about what you do, you need to be very focused and self-accountable, self-motivated. The potential to earn a high income is there but there are several drawbacks to the actual commission payouts. You are 100% commission based and you will at times have to repay commissions when policies are lapsed, cancelled, terminated or declined.