Sun Life Financial Employee Review

View all Sun Life Financial reviews

Good Company. Great Risk & Reward. So Do Your Homework!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Canada31 January 2014
Initially you'll be asked for a list of 100 names you can prospect and sell to. Make sure you have a game plan after your warm market runs dry besides cold calling or going door to door. For most people that's when you'll promptly exit the business.

For those seeking Sun Life Financial as their first financial planning gig here's my advice:

Don't do it. Start with 4-5 years in a bank where you will get leads and appointments booked for you while earning a CFP designation. If you want to go independent or 'captive' at an insurance company for $$$ and autonomy only make the switch when you have a reliable network of 500 people you know will do business with you. Don't take the career if you just want to help people, become an exceptional Financial Planner and own your own business. Take the job only if you can sacrifice your evenings and weekends for the next 5 years and you enjoy sales and prospecting 24/7 'cause that's all you'll be doing!

Bottom line: Being an advisor at Sun Life Financial is a great opportunity for the right person. It's a disaster for anyone else.
Pros
Flexibility, Great Office Environment
Cons
Straight Commission, Build Your Own Block (No Leads)

Other Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Worst company to work for
Finance Executive (Former Employee) –  Thornbay Alora Alberta10 December 2017
Sunlife are criminal liars!!!
I worked with them for 15 years!!! We hire doctors and pay them to write false medical reports so that we can cut the benefits to our paying clients, force them back to work so that we can continue to deduct percentages from their pay check, this was my department I worked in and I couldn't continue to work in this environment any longer. How this company is still operating without a serious investigation is beyond me
Pros
Lots of money, bonuses and incentives
Cons
Losing your sense of self and morality
Walk the Talk
North American Food Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
Hard to give a high level review as this is a dynamic company with many different positions and types of employment. Many employees have been there 20 years or longer.