Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Great company
Licensed Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
It is a great company and offers so many products.
As field advisor, it gave me work-life balance since
I managed my schedules. However, being a field advisor
there's so much stress of finding new clients.
Pros
great commission
Not Applicable
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
It's fun but a lot of pressure. There are a lot of learnings, the managers are supportive.

There's a lot of training. The program is systematic, the products are really nice.
Great environment to work in that encouraged team-building and rewarded hard work.
Digital Mail Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 May 2017
It is a quality and production focused department and the daily tasks are repetitive. The hardest part of the job was to keep up to date with specific requirements and processes while still hitting production targets. That being said, the management team are very flexible and patient and will work with you to achieve specific goals. I would recommend this position as a great way to start building your career at a reputable company.
Excellent employer
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2017
I was employed by Sun Life and its predecessor companies, Met Life and Mutual/ Clarica for forty four years. Excellent organization

My last 28 years were spent on the General z,toros account where I managed the Service Delivery of Dusanilty and Lufe Insurance benefits for the employees of GM
Time/schedule Management
Sun Life Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2017
Fun and a good place to work when you need more time for family or for yourself, as long as you know how to maintain your level and stay on track on your business. Learn how to be consistent with what you do and sales plan.
Pros
Unlimited pay
Cons
No work/no clients no pay
Very good employer.
Sun Life Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal12 May 2017
I just did not imagine how being an advisor is such a demanding job in terms of hours and the payoff is only more visible once you've accumulated years of relationships with many customers.
I respect the company and its culture, just that it isn't the type of job for me.
Pros
Safe company
Wonderful place to be
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2017
This is by far the most positive and supportive work environment I've ever been in. The people are all great, the work is helping people, and you just feel welcome there.
Pros
great salary potential
Cons
strictly commission
High Performance Culture - World Class Call Centre
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 April 2017
Very busy call center, modified work shifts available for good employees. Tam Leads change often. Holidays are booked early in the year by seniority.
Pros
Incentive bonus
Cons
busy and sometimes stressful
great place to work for yourself
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON28 April 2017
you are in charge of your own practice great place for someone who has passion for financial planning and willing to operate all aspects of the business. Great environment for growth.
It is a typical Life Insurance company
Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
Sun Life is typical in many aspects compared to its peers. As result, despite its stated desire to be different and a leader, its management practices are comparable to the average Life insurance company.
Pros
Financially stable
Cons
Limited growth potential
Great people to work with for the most part
Financial Client Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 April 2017
Limited advancement , demanding tasks with not much of an upside. a HUGE lack of procedural sense and a definite upgrade to systems is required to be aligned with competition.
benefits
Cons
lack of tools
Self-motivating yet very multiculture financial center
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2017
Financial advisor is self-employeed so every day is self challenging. I learned to self motivate to prospect and be consistent with daily activities.

Our financial center is very multi-cultured and everyone is very respectful. Cultural bonding is very good and everyone appreciate others.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to help my clients with financial planning and advise them on future financial goals and dreams.

The management were very supportive in terms of education, events, personal relationship buildups, and encouragement.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Flexibility
Excellent company to work for with top notch leadership! People are fabulous!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 April 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing and learning from cross-functional teams. Each day presented a new opportunity to contribute and make a difference!
Independant financial planner
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 April 2017
Non-occupant; not applicable for many things such as culture as I am an independently employed person. The financial center is beautiful and provides support and office/meeting space.
Great workplace culture
Bilingual Group Retirement Plan Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 April 2017
Great place to work, a company that cares for their employees and a great company that helps the community. Great workplace culture and a lot room for advancement.
Lack concept of work/life balance
Marketing and Communications (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2017
Hard work is not recognized but is expected without compensation. My dept has no concept of work-life balance therefore like to hire new graduates with no life.
Multi Task Enviroment, Fun, place for growth
Financial Adviser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
Excellent place for those who want to bring growth in insurance products and services. Provide training and support at all levels, international organization there is an opportunity for those who really want to relocate different places or country.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
n/a
Employer who tries hard but limits support for career advancement
Abilities Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
Moving to another role is a long process and is only given to employees that will have the least impact to the budget. They will hire a less qualified person over the best candidate, in order to save money.
Pros
Good work from home & in-office balance
Cons
No room for advancement
Great company, if only there was a salary
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 March 2017
Very good company and great company to retire in.
Thing is you have to survive in the business for at least 5 years before saying that you have a chance.
Pros
Commision
Cons
Commision
Security with the company
COMPLEX ISSUE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 February 2017
I loved working for Sun Life. The management, job security, pay, benefits and overall experience with Sun Life is fantastic. I left Sun Life because I went back to school, but I would love to find another position like the one I had, especially at Sun Life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.