Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly, respectful work place
Backup Real Time Support Specialist (Current Employee), montrealDecember 17, 2014
The workplace is fine in regards to the environment, but for a company that prides itself on career advancement, there are a lot of empty promises to keep people motivated and mixed messages from management.
Lack of staff makes the front line job very taxing on individuals and people.
Amazing career if you put in the time, and have a safety net of money to fall back on.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), London, ONDecember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible hours; own your own business
Cons: finding your own clients; 100% commission
You really need to be dedicated to work this job.
Most people look towards family and friends for meetings and sales - I don't feel comfortable pushing products on the people I know and love. Other ways of getting clients are trade shows, cold calling, or referrals. One thing you NEED to be good at - talking on the phone.
The entire business is based – more... around calling and booking appointments. The best times to call are 530-830 Monday through Thursday, when people are home from work. Be willing to work those times.
Some clients aren't able to meet during the day, so you'll have to book some evening appointments in the office or their home, or maybe even a weekend. Do NOT make a habit of meeting on weekends, otherwise your clients will grow accustomed to it and will expect it.
There are people that will help you in the job, and people who will bring you down (best to stay away from those). If you're a social person, and you want to make friends at work and travel and go to events with them, then you'll have fun here.
You need the drive to get up and go to work every day. Being your own boss and owning your business is a big responsibility. The first 3-5 years of your career at Sun Life, you should be working 50 hours a week, having 10-12 appointments per week, and making a minimum of 2 sales per week, which is harder than it sounds.

My piece of advice?
I came into this role right out of college. It works for some, but I wish that I had gone to a salary position first. When you're just starting out and you have bills and want to save up money, the office expenses and uncertainty of a paycheck will stress you out.
Be willing to become mutual fund licensed, so that you can have a stream of income once you build up your wealth portfolio - which will take a little while. – less
Productive and modern work enviroment
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 25, 2014
Cons: highly sedentary
Sun Life has a very modern and results oriented environment. Most positions I’ve held have been fast paced and require a dynamic approach to resolution.
Extremely fun place to work with extensive training and development
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Grande PrairieNovember 18, 2014
Pros: extensive training, meeting new people, selling top notch products in the industry, backed by a supportive management team.
Cons: none.
Prospecting began everyday to build one's own client base. Managed existing clients with follow ups and reviews, talking about products and services they may not have yet. My co-workers were great people and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was the prospecting, which also is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job as well.
Easy going culture and very productive environment
Infrastructure Team (Current Employee), TorontoNovember 13, 2014
Pros: free food, friendly environment, flexible work hours
Cons: salary, job advancement, commute, full benefit coverage, long work hours with little pay
Working at SunLife during these couple months isn't bad and the work can be sometimes slow as a turtle or fast as a rocket. The management is okay, depends on the people you are under and their style of leadership. The big bosses are very knowledgeable, willing to listen from the grunts when opportunities are given.

Very flexible work hours, understanding – more... managers when it comes to family issues or any time of injuries. As long as you are productive in your job and most people won't mind what you are doing.

However if you are looking for promotions, then it would be a different story and most opportunity to be manager or higher are very limited. Most people has been here as seniors for the longest period of their careers. – less
overall good environment
Risk Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2014
typical work environment for risk management, relatively small risk teams compared to banks
Dedicated Company to their Advisors and Clients
Group Benefits SunAdvantage Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2014
Pros: able to work independently, job task gives you a sense of accomplishment
Working in the Group Benefits Sales area is fast pace, motivating and self driven.
Knowledge in group benefits in all area is of utmost importance and you learn something new everyday. Every task gives you a sense of accomplishment.
You are required to work independently, and if needed your co-workers and manager are there to discuss and resolve any – more... issues.
The most challenging and enjoyable part of the job is meeting the turnaround times. We do rely on other sources for information, and in the sales area timing of responses are crucial. It is challenging for me as I strive in providing great customer services by being able to respond right away. When I am not able to, it is important to inform the waiting recipient right and provide a timeline for expectation.
I take pride in my job and in building relationships. This only results in excellent service! – less
productive and very fun place to work at
Group Benefits Account Manager (Former Employee), Toronto/OntOctober 10, 2014
Pros: high day to day contacts with the clients
Cons: long commute to work
Great people to work with..great Company to work for. Flexible work environment with great management and a focused strategy.
Productive and engaging company
Asia Desk, Business Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 30, 2014
A great company culture that emphasizes on people development, and a customer-centered business model.
Depends on Management
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 28, 2014
Hiring managers mislead me about the position.
You are required to sell to friends and family, then cold call.

Also, you must rent an office for hundreds of dollars every month and must also pay for overpriced Group Benefit Plans.
A friendly family
Manager, Internal Control (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Good benefit,
Slow pace,
Low pressure,
comprehensive business
High earning potential, hard work required
Advisor (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Sun Life Financial offers an excellent opportunity for entry level business professionals. A motivating culture with high earning potential.
Great company to work for.
Medical Claims Consultant (Waterloo) (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: employees are recognized for a job well done.
Cons: sometimes. if required to work on the weekend, in addition to overtime pay lunch is provided.
H & D is a production environment. Check your queue assignment and begin working. Every minute has to be accounted. During breaks and lunches you mingle with your co-workers.
During peak periods there are some fun stuff that the management team put on to ease the stress.
The most difficult aspect of the job is when trying to convince management that – more... a process doesn't work.
Sunlife is a great company to work. You have the flexibility to choose your hours of work, breaks and lunch in the H & D Department.
Refridgerators,microwaves and hot and cold water are provided in the lunch areas. Lunch can be eaten at your desk.
During my 18 years until organizaztional changes, I enjoyed as part of my role providing coaching and support to employees. – less
Very political and slow
IT Position (Former Employee), OntarioAugust 20, 2014
Pros: you can retire there. salary is average and benefits good
Cons: political environment
Typical Day at Work
- Everything needs to be approved and reviewed 10 times
- Expectation is that you document everything
- Aside conversations sometimes makes you feel as you are not valuable for the organization.
What you learned
- Very little. If you are a young professional, you have a lot to learn from the experimented people. If you are an experienced – more... person working with big companies, don't expect a lot of innovation.
- Very knowledgeable
- Very political and slow to make decisions
Co-Workers
- Nice environment
- High Turnover
Hardest part of the job
- Write a lot of documents and also work
- Participate on multiple meetings that are not productive
The most enjoyable part of the job
- Waterloo office has a Tim Hortons :-) – less
DIGITAL MAIL SERVICES
DIGITAL MAIL SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Montréal, QCAugust 4, 2014
DIGITAL MAIL SERVICES
REPRESENTATIVE
CONTRACT PART TIME
TEAMWORK
Enjoyed working at Sun Life Financial.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2014
Pros: boss is very nice, flexible hours
I start off the day with entering new clients and updating accounts for existing clients onto the system (CDS).
I am required to communicated with head office for extend information that isn't available to me on the CDS. For example, if a clients plan has lapsed, I would have to find out what the costs are to re-activate account and how many payments – more... were missed. And I had to all the photocopying and filing.

With all the data entry that I was required to do for this job, my wpm and kph have increased substantially. I've learnt how to manage my time properly given the tasks that I have to complete for the day. – less
Challenging work, excellent compensation
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 24, 2014
This job can be demanding at times, as one is running their own business.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job is working with clients face to face, and having the satisfaction of knowing one can provide peace of mind to their clients.
My job Summary
Financial security advisor (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 23, 2014
. Prospect and qualify potential clients using various methods as referral and public advertisement.

. Satisfy clients’ financial needs by designing a custom made plan from the array of products

. Plans contain wealth management solutions, insurance products, banking solutions and debt products

. Meet regularly with clients for review and service.
Review Summary
Marketing and Sales Trainee (Former Employee), Richmond Hill - Ontario, CanadaJuly 20, 2014
This opportunity was a Trainee job for me, the idea was work for 2 weeks in the company supporting Marketing Sales Strategies for Sun Life Finacial products. This was an intership for my Marketing, Sales and Account Management Diploma
Great company
Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2014
Great company with a good corporate culture and work life balance.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sun Life Financial

Sun Life is a leading international provider of protection and wealth accumulation products and services to individual and corporate – Read more

Sun Life Financial Photos