Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Outsourcing Company with little regard to employees
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 June 2017
This company outsources all their work and then advises it's employees not to mention this to their clients. Untrustworthy place to work and demoralizes it's employees. Management is a joke and knows nothing except how to talk the talk. Would not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Flexible work home life
Cons
Too many to list!
Great place for advancement
Process Coordinator/Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 June 2017
There are plenty of opportunities to try different roles at Sunlife. Seniority is not a prerequisite and if you are eager to learn, they will give you the chance. Cafeteria is great too!
Group Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 June 2017
Great company but long hours and no down time . This is a really good company but working in GB is hard and non stop work . you take about 100 phone calls a day
Dog Eat Dog World
Business Analyst & Senior Client Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 June 2017
Sun Life does not practice what they preach in terms of supporting a work-life balance. Support is not provided by management or HR when employees seek it. Employees are not recognized for their hard work and loyalty. Many great colleagues, but outnumbered by bully-type personalities; those of whom are women in management positions. Wonderful clients, but minimal help can be provided to them due to overload of work and internal politics.
Pros
Many great colleauges and clients
Cons
Lack of support for employees from management and HR
Not Enough Experience
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 June 2017
I walked into this role right out of school, as it was a commission-only role and I had no idea about the investment world, I was left behind. I felt I needed to gain exposure to the investment world before considering a commission based role.
Stressful Environment; Beautiful Building - Bad Location
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2017
I can only speak on behalf of the one department I worked in. The job itself is extremely stressful; handling client complaints and and dealing with serious illness' and seeing employees decisions that impact peoples lives is a lot to handle. There is a very arrogant attitude in general to my department, a 'that's not MY job' attitude. Everyone will pass off as much work to other people as they possibly can, and managers don't say anything about it. The department refuses to offer me a full time position and no matter how many contract extensions I get offered, there is no possibility of ANY benefits, sick days, personal days, vacation, or a raise. There is no room to rise within the department as far as I'm concerned. No respect.
Pros
Fixed work week. Weekends off. Decent wages.
Great company to start a career
Analytics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON31 May 2017
great company to start a career. Very friendly co workers. constantly changing. Great location and very easy to commute to. performance focused with fair compensation.
Productive and fun place to work
Team Lead, Group Benefits Customer Care Centre (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 May 2017
The Group Benefits Customer Care Centre was a great place to work because every day you were helping Sun Life's members with their group benefit questions and also because the staff was very tight, it felt like a community. Leaders worked hard to come up with fun initiatives to keep morale up.
Managment is very incentive driven
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 May 2017
Typical day consists of prospecting, Client reviews and client sales appts.

in-depth intensive training

Hardest part is Time management and balance with family time.

Most enjoyable part is that I am able to help clients grow in their financial security, also to help them protect there assets.
life's brighter under the sun
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 May 2017
Since leaving I have reflected on the various positions I had at Sun Life. We live in a fast paced world, like it or not. I learned some very useful skills while there, and worked with some amazing people. I would definitely work at Sun Life again if the right position was available.
Pros
well established company
Cons
workloads
Challenging work environment
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON22 May 2017
The job requires independent organization and exceptional people and sales skills. Many challenges exist foremost is developing a client base, maintaining policies and keeping early cancellations at a minimum.
Pros
Set your hours
Cons
Inconsistent pay schedule, client cancellations, policy cancellations
Great company
Licensed Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
It is a great company and offers so many products.
As field advisor, it gave me work-life balance since
I managed my schedules. However, being a field advisor
there's so much stress of finding new clients.
Pros
great commission
Not Applicable
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
It's fun but a lot of pressure. There are a lot of learnings, the managers are supportive.

There's a lot of training. The program is systematic, the products are really nice.
Environnement de travail très agréable
Conseiller en sécurité financière (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 May 2017
La journée de travail commence et tout le monde est attentionné envers tout le monde.
Great environment to work in that encouraged team-building and rewarded hard work.
Digital Mail Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 May 2017
It is a quality and production focused department and the daily tasks are repetitive. The hardest part of the job was to keep up to date with specific requirements and processes while still hitting production targets. That being said, the management team are very flexible and patient and will work with you to achieve specific goals. I would recommend this position as a great way to start building your career at a reputable company.
Excellent employer
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 May 2017
I was employed by Sun Life and its predecessor companies, Met Life and Mutual/ Clarica for forty four years. Excellent organization

My last 28 years were spent on the General z,toros account where I managed the Service Delivery of Dusanilty and Lufe Insurance benefits for the employees of GM
Time/schedule Management
Sun Life Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2017
Fun and a good place to work when you need more time for family or for yourself, as long as you know how to maintain your level and stay on track on your business. Learn how to be consistent with what you do and sales plan.
Pros
Unlimited pay
Cons
No work/no clients no pay
Very good employer.
Sun Life Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal12 May 2017
I just did not imagine how being an advisor is such a demanding job in terms of hours and the payoff is only more visible once you've accumulated years of relationships with many customers.
I respect the company and its culture, just that it isn't the type of job for me.
Pros
Safe company
Wonderful place to be
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2017
This is by far the most positive and supportive work environment I've ever been in. The people are all great, the work is helping people, and you just feel welcome there.
Pros
great salary potential
Cons
strictly commission
High Performance Culture - World Class Call Centre
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 April 2017
Very busy call center, modified work shifts available for good employees. Tam Leads change often. Holidays are booked early in the year by seniority.
Pros
Incentive bonus
Cons
busy and sometimes stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.