Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Pros
Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons
can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Pros
Focus on innovation and growth
Cons
No work-life balance
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Pros
Make as much as you want.
Cons
Long hours, Very stressful
Dynamic work environment with great coworkers, good benefits, good pay, and good work hours.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABAugust 13, 2015
I loved this job. The constant monitoring of all metrics sometimes got tiring but it made for achievable goals which was rewarding. The culture and my coworkers made what could have sometimes been a tedious job enjoyable. Honestly, had my division not been sold, I would still be there.
Pros
Work hours, salary, annual bonuses and raises, work culture.
Cons
Being tied to the phones, unable to give out personal extention to provice better customer service.
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Pros
American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons
had to work canadian holidays
Productive, fast paced working environment
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2016
I started out at Sun Life successfully and happy. I exceled in my first role and I was promoted just over 6 months after I was hired. In the Client Services role I worked independently but also relied on my team to continue to learn and keep up with the ever changing role. After a year they closed the office and transitioned everyone to work from home. The management team has removed several good resources from my grasp (can no longer ask peers for help, have to rely on an internal search engine) and due to the fast paced environment of a call center I did not learn as quicky as I used to. Management began to expect more from us without proper training and guidance for all learning types. I learn by watching and doing, and this was no longer available to me.
Pros
Benefits, annual salary, helpful peers
Cons
Unhelpful management, worked from home
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 30, 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
Senior Project Manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2016
Responsible for a Bloomberg upgrade for all traders working for Sunlife.
Aided in the upgrade to cloud computing for insurance claims for external clients.
Worked with off shore partners for System integrated and coordinated user acceptance testing.
Implemented a vendor software which allowed for electronic storage of vital documents.
Pros
Good however I could not continue on this contract due to time on the role
Cons
Location was in Waterloo which was a very long commute for me from Whitby.
Most are productive, enjoyable and encourage creativity.
Senior Client Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 31, 2016
Majority of the time your day goes by quickly with managing a block of business and being a direct contact for employers.

What I love about my job is working one on one with employers, helping resolve any issues or concerns that they may have with their investments for the employees. It is very satisfying.

In this role you never stop learning as legislation is always changing, processes are always changing as there is always process improvements.
Learning Experience with good life balance
Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 31, 2016
Sunlife is the first step for me to work in the Financial Industry so its a knowledgeable journey for me. With every new day, there is something new to learn. It also helps me to maintain my personal and work balance. The most enjoyable part of this job is I get to meet new people everyday and become a part of their life to discuss their financial situation and to help new families.
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Pros
Training
Cons
Commission and bonus structure not as explained and communicated during the recruitment process
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 8, 2016
You need to be passionate about what you do, you need to be very focused and self-accountable, self-motivated. The potential to earn a high income is there but there are several drawbacks to the actual commission payouts. You are 100% commission based and you will at times have to repay commissions when policies are lapsed, cancelled, terminated or declined.
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Fun & Relax Environment
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Island, QCJuly 11, 2016
Great Location.
Wonderful coworkers from all cultures.
Basic reception secretarial duties.

Best parts of the job were taking on special event coordination like award ceremonies and charity events.

Most challenging but rewarding part of the job was learning and working with multiple software systems catered to Sunlife.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Parking
Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 12, 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
Pros
Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons
Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABSeptember 8, 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
Too Many Sacrifices.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 22, 2016
It is a good place to work if you are single without a family and really like money. If you can invest the better part of your time into the career, you will be successful and make a lot, but you'll be making a lot of sacrifices for the first 3-5 years.
Easy going culture and very productive environment
Infrastructure Team (Current Employee) –  TorontoNovember 13, 2014
Working at SunLife during these couple months isn't bad and the work can be sometimes slow as a turtle or fast as a rocket. The management is okay, depends on the people you are under and their style of leadership. The big bosses are very knowledgeable, willing to listen from the grunts when opportunities are given.

Very flexible work hours, understanding managers when it comes to family issues or any time of injuries. As long as you are productive in your job and most people won't mind what you are doing.

However if you are looking for promotions, then it would be a different story and most opportunity to be manager or higher are very limited. Most people has been here as seniors for the longest period of their careers.
Pros
free food, friendly environment, flexible work hours
Cons
salary, job advancement, commute, full benefit coverage, long work hours with little pay