Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Awesome team spirit, customer-centrism, training, coaching, mentoring
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
My impression from the first day to the last day at Sun Life is summed in these words, " if you look around you at 10 a.m and your environment is awesome, your colleagues are simply great, you are supported to be the best in the job you do, and you enjoy your job, then you are very lucky".

My Sun Life experience is nothing short of awesome on daily basis, the training, the mentoring, the coaching, the customer feed back.

I enjoyed every bit of it and I will miss it.
Pros
Team, bonding, training, coaching, growth, etc
Cons
The environment was too positive for me to notice cons, the management is in constant improvement gear.
Productive and Job experience
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2016
Working at Sun life is such a good Job experience. I come in and get set up and start work. then after 2 hours of work, I take a break, chat with other co-workers, and then get back to work. it is such a healthy work environment. What I learned while working at Sun life is the amount of work and effort needed to be put in order to get a successful outcome. The management is good. They are very organized. It is a healthy work friendly environment where everyone gets along. The hardest part of the job is the process. Getting the leads for insurance sales can be tasking. The most enjoyable part is the result. When you finally get a lead and the lead goes successful.
Pros
Friendly environment, vacations
Cons
tasking process for getting leads
Great culture but big company with too many processes
SENIOR SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Depending on your department, mine has a big problem with management. There's no advancement possible in admin. You are treated like if your are the b* of the office, while all your team members get recognized and gets trip all over the world, you will get to stay at the office and do everything without having any recognition. BUT, work hours are pretty flexible and the company overall has a great culture.
Pros
Free lunches, great job culture
Cons
No advancement, low salary, management
Great company and Co-Workers
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton Peel27 November 2016
Sun Life is a rewarding company to be with. Only complaint is the Financial Centre manager in the Brampton Peel office. Not very supportive, negative attitude, self centred to his own objectives. As a female it can be frustrating dealing with him, intimidation is right up his alley. The good thing is that you really own your own business, so as long as you are staying within the compliance rules, you can ignore the manager. Overall rating is a little low due to the manager, but once he leaves or is replaced the office environment will be great.
Pros
Set your own hours for your lifestyle.
Cons
Poor manager, low office moral but is much better in other offices.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 November 2016
Surprisingly progressive and forward-thinking for one of Canada's oldest companies. I always felt welcomed and valued as an employee. The training was comprehensive and my immediate supervisors were always available to take time to ensure that I had what I needed to do my job. Generally a fun and energetic workplace, I was in the call centre for Group Retirement Services. There were strict call handling metrics that you were expected to adhere to on the job.
Excellent work culture and limitless earning potential!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
Sun Life Financial Advisor:

A typical day will involve spending half prospecting and making phone calls, while the other half will be spent reviewing client portfolios and doing administrative duties. Learning to manage time and sales techniques have been a beneficial aspect of the job.

Management and co-workers are friendly with a enjoyable work culture throughout the financial center. The hardest part of the job is being paid on 100% commission. Although this is beneficial for potential earnings, it is difficult for new advisors starting in the industry.

Most enjoyable about the job is the continuing education and experience gained through running your own business and servicing people with their financial needs.
Good place to work.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
I worked for 2 Financial Advisors .
Keeping their schedules up to dates.
Making sure all forms and documents they need were available all the time.
Communicate with them via email, text and phone .
Support them on all their need to make their day went smooth.
Pros
Activities every Friday. Interaction between staff.
Cons
Because the type of job hardly to follow Hours of work.
Strong performing company with a clear direction.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
The company has a set of values and core pillars of growth that drives the business forward. Because business is growing, it is constantly busy. Expect a tremendous amount of work to be completed quickly with accuracy. A high performance culture drives the workforce. Overall a good company with many opportunities.
Highly productive environment
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
My day begins late afternoon.
I've learned how to maintain and surpass my targets.
Management are friendly and helpful
Co-workers are pleasant
Most difficult part of the job, really can't think of anything at this time
The most enjoyable part of the job is the different tasks that I perform
Pros
Flexible breaks
Cons
afternoon shift
Sunlife
Implementation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2017
A typical day a work varies between client supply and demand. There is a high turn over which results in our job description being altered. There is a lack on consistency but in terms of management and company loyalty there is no other place I have been to that has so much respect for their employees.
Energetic place to work
Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
People were good and easy going. There were opportunities for advancement. Fast pace environment and good team work. Was a fast pace office and very busy. There was alot of variety on the job and it could be very challenging sometimes and lots to learn.
Pros
good management
Cons
could not work from hom
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 September 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
Building your own Business
Wealth, Health, and Insurance Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
It is difficult to be a financial advisor with no block of business.
Prospecting - Commision only job.

It is important if you want to be a career agent to know what type of support you will need and to make sure the office you work for has that support.
productive and fun workspace
Technical Project Manager/ Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the two bonuses I received during my four months there; the least being the constant verbal lashings and lack of praise I received from my area vice president over things as trivial as post-its.
Fun filled place to work. Enjoy being a part of the team.
Financial & Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 October 2016
Very diverse culture in this environment. Everyone feels they belong here. One of the best experiences, is attending our regular Pot Lucks which we all look forward to. Non-stop team building initiatives.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Only Commission based
Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Insurance Agent
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 December 2016
Working with Sun Life is a very good experience. I have done a lot of cold calls and contacts from referrals. I love working with people that is one reason I choose insurance. I am very good with customer service also.
Pros
Flexable work hours
Cons
Commission base only
Senior Project Manager
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2016
Responsible for a Bloomberg upgrade for all traders working for Sunlife.
Aided in the upgrade to cloud computing for insurance claims for external clients.
Worked with off shore partners for System integrated and coordinated user acceptance testing.
Implemented a vendor software which allowed for electronic storage of vital documents.
Pros
Good however I could not continue on this contract due to time on the role
Cons
Location was in Waterloo which was a very long commute for me from Whitby.
Learning Experience with good life balance
Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2016
Sunlife is the first step for me to work in the Financial Industry so its a knowledgeable journey for me. With every new day, there is something new to learn. It also helps me to maintain my personal and work balance. The most enjoyable part of this job is I get to meet new people everyday and become a part of their life to discuss their financial situation and to help new families.
Flexible hours but heavy work load.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Flexible hours. Management is supportive. Benefits are good. Workload is heavy due to department being understaffed. Need to do overtime to finish work. Training is not well balanced but in the works and improvements are noted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
heavy workload