Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good learning environment
Testing Specialist (Former Employee), waterloo, onApril 10, 2014
sunlife financial was a good place to work, team members were very helpful , got chance to work on so many different softwares and learnt many things there
Great place to work. Great culture, never boring and lots of challenges.
Compliance Coordinator - Fraud, Compliance (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 7, 2014
Pros: the gym in the basement.
Cons: contract position only.
Started work at 8 am and lunch at 12 to 12.30 ended day at 4 pm.

Very satisfying work.

Very interesting work.

Great people to work with and enjoyed working with them.

Hardest part was having to leave at the end of the contract.
Good Professional Environment
Facilities Management Co-op Student (Former Employee), 150 King Toronto OntarioMarch 2, 2014
Pros: unsupervised
Cons: politics
Typical day would range from meeting with management teams, Vp's and directors, answering emails and phone calls. report making and assessment
Financial Security Advisor
Financial Security Advisor (Current Employee), Pointe CLaireFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: make my own hours
Cons: hard work for little payout
I will gladly tell you more in english or in french depending on your preference!
Great place to work,
Claims Administrator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
I learned how to time manage myself, People that I worked with were always willing to help.
Lots of learning and upward movements.
Account Manager, Group Retirement Services (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: supportive, callenging, a learning platform
Cons: some long hours.
Lots of opporuntity to learn and grow. Assisted in implementation of platform change and found very good experience.
Laser department
Laser operator (Former Employee), Montreal QcFebruary 15, 2014
Worked at Sun Life for 24 1/2 years. Then joined RR Donnelley was employed with them from September 2001 to September 2013. Departure was due to company merge and no position was available.
Great place to work if you just want to come in, do your work and go home.
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: very structured environment so is a good place to learn.
Cons: top-down management and low pay.
Sun Life has great mature IT processes but the management is strictly top down to employees.

There is little opportunity for advancement unless you know someone already higher and the pay is low.

You are at the bottom of the ladder and the business and developers are allowed to run all over you and be outright abusive.
workplace where learning and growth is supported
Portfolio Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 11, 2014
In ES Finance I learned that we need to constantly improve and learn and grow.
Productive Workplace
FACILITY MANAGER (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: flexible resumption hours
Cons: heavy relaince on contract employments
Very good workplace. Some old work traditions here and there, but overall, a very good place to work. Very accommodating people
Productive and challenge work place.
Financial Adviser Assistant (Current Employee), North YorkFebruary 4, 2014
As a financial assistant, you need to be very careful in all aspect. It is a tough job, but learn a lot and it helps people to have a strong financial.
Very Dynamic and lots of learning opportunities
System Analyst UNIX (Former Employee), Waterloo, OntarioFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: good company, excellent team to work with
Cons: long commuting and too many afterhours and week end activities
Typical day at work:
Taking care of day to day client requests, preparation and arranging for on hand projects which included patching OS, P2V and looking after hard ware and software maintenance cases.

What I learned:
I gained a great amount of knowledge about Different Solaris hardware and software products. All models of Oracle and AIX devices.

Management;
Needed – more... more time to get used to the new management style

My co-workers:
Got along really well with all members of my team, had no issues working with any of them.

Hardest part of the job:
Commuting to Waterloo every day from Mississauga

Most enjoyable part:
Dealing with my co-workers and handling new challenges every day – less
Good Company. Great Risk & Reward. So Do Your Homework!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), CanadaJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: flexibility, great office environment
Cons: straight commission, build your own block (no leads)
Initially you'll be asked for a list of 100 names you can prospect and sell to. Make sure you have a game plan after your warm market runs dry besides cold calling or going door to door. For most people that's when you'll promptly exit the business.

For those seeking Sun Life Financial as their first financial planning gig here's my advice:

Don't – more... do it. Start with 4-5 years in a bank where you will get leads and appointments booked for you while earning a CFP designation. If you want to go independent or 'captive' at an insurance company for $$$ and autonomy only make the switch when you have a reliable network of 500 people you know will do business with you. Don't take the career if you just want to help people, become an exceptional Financial Planner and own your own business. Take the job only if you can sacrifice your evenings and weekends for the next 5 years and you enjoy sales and prospecting 24/7 'cause that's all you'll be doing!

Bottom line: Being an advisor at Sun Life Financial is a great opportunity for the right person. It's a disaster for anyone else. – less
Atmosphere and management was great
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: self employed
Cons: too many expenses
Overall working with Sun Life has been a great success and helped me with my time management, sales and communication skills.
Flexible working hours with nice working environment
Testing Specialist (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 20, 2014
I was taking in charge of all different kinds of administrative works during my co-op term. It was a good place to learn new things and salary was good too.

A small kitchen provided on each level for employees to reheat their meals and they can have their lunch at desk.

Flexible working hours, and you can working from home.
Summary
Information Technology (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2014
Sun Life is a good organization. It is large, profitable, and well managed.
Abilities Case Manager/Disability Specialist
Disability Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 19, 2013
Responsible for the active case management of short and long-term disability claims.
Challenging but Exciteful Projects with Knowledgeable Managers
Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: responsible and well-behaved colleagues, highly developed culture, knowledgable managers
Cons: long hours
In Sun Life Financial every day there are exposures to new and challenging problems which demands brand-new ideas and state of the art models to implement them. This provides opportunity to develop new approaches to resolve the problem, while having access to knowledgeable managers which leads to maturing those ideas.

With the comprehensive knowledge – more... in mathematical finance and financial markets we gained in the Financial Mathematics program in McMaster University, having exposure to the real life applications and the associated challenges due to lack of enough useful data, non normalized data, etc. learning how to overcome these challenges was exciting and instructive.

Responsible and well-behaved colleagues provide a progressive atmosphere which leads to meeting goals based on the pre-determined schedule.

Probably for me as an intern, who needed to accomplish both jobs assigned by Sun Life Financial and Mitacs Accelerated Program, satisfying both duties simultaneously based on the tight time schedule was the hardest part of the job. – less
good company
Business / Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no free coffee
Monday,
learned a lot
good management
late hours
lunchtime
Positive Work Life Balance
Trade Show Coordinator (Former Employee), Durham Region, ONNovember 12, 2013
Pros: team spirit, involved with various charities
I have had various roles with the company working underneath several financial advisors.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the challenges that were thrown my way.
All of my colleagues were a pleasurable delight to converse with in and out of the office.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sun Life Financial

Sun Life is a leading international provider of protection and wealth accumulation products and services to individual and corporate – Read more

Sun Life Financial Photos