Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Great culture but big company with too many processes
SENIOR SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Depending on your department, mine has a big problem with management. There's no advancement possible in admin. You are treated like if your are the b* of the office, while all your team members get recognized and gets trip all over the world, you will get to stay at the office and do everything without having any recognition. BUT, work hours are pretty flexible and the company overall has a great culture.
Pros
Free lunches, great job culture
Cons
No advancement, low salary, management
Excellent work culture and limitless earning potential!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
Sun Life Financial Advisor:

A typical day will involve spending half prospecting and making phone calls, while the other half will be spent reviewing client portfolios and doing administrative duties. Learning to manage time and sales techniques have been a beneficial aspect of the job.

Management and co-workers are friendly with a enjoyable work culture throughout the financial center. The hardest part of the job is being paid on 100% commission. Although this is beneficial for potential earnings, it is difficult for new advisors starting in the industry.

Most enjoyable about the job is the continuing education and experience gained through running your own business and servicing people with their financial needs.
Security with the company
COMPLEX ISSUE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 February 2017
I loved working for Sun Life. The management, job security, pay, benefits and overall experience with Sun Life is fantastic. I left Sun Life because I went back to school, but I would love to find another position like the one I had, especially at Sun Life.
Good place
Investment Consultant/ Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Great place to work for job security and work/life balance. However, compensation levels are lower than industry average.
productive and fun workspace
Technical Project Manager/ Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the two bonuses I received during my four months there; the least being the constant verbal lashings and lack of praise I received from my area vice president over things as trivial as post-its.
Awesome team spirit, customer-centrism, training, coaching, mentoring
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
My impression from the first day to the last day at Sun Life is summed in these words, " if you look around you at 10 a.m and your environment is awesome, your colleagues are simply great, you are supported to be the best in the job you do, and you enjoy your job, then you are very lucky".

My Sun Life experience is nothing short of awesome on daily basis, the training, the mentoring, the coaching, the customer feed back.

I enjoyed every bit of it and I will miss it.
Pros
Team, bonding, training, coaching, growth, etc
Cons
The environment was too positive for me to notice cons, the management is in constant improvement gear.
Productive and Job experience
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2016
Working at Sun life is such a good Job experience. I come in and get set up and start work. then after 2 hours of work, I take a break, chat with other co-workers, and then get back to work. it is such a healthy work environment. What I learned while working at Sun life is the amount of work and effort needed to be put in order to get a successful outcome. The management is good. They are very organized. It is a healthy work friendly environment where everyone gets along. The hardest part of the job is the process. Getting the leads for insurance sales can be tasking. The most enjoyable part is the result. When you finally get a lead and the lead goes successful.
Pros
Friendly environment, vacations
Cons
tasking process for getting leads
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 September 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
Energetic place to work
Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
People were good and easy going. There were opportunities for advancement. Fast pace environment and good team work. Was a fast pace office and very busy. There was alot of variety on the job and it could be very challenging sometimes and lots to learn.
Pros
good management
Cons
could not work from hom
Poor with the exception of Management positions
Client Service Administrator - Corporate Accts (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 January 2017
Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians! Always pressuring staff to come up with better ways to do business and to save money with as little resources as possible. That is a welcoming suggestion and can work but to push it on staff repeatedly when we've already reached our peak is mind numbing! Overtime is expected to keep up... customer service goes down as you cannot keep up with daily expectations. This worked against my work ethic as I truly believe that if you gain business opportunities through your sales force promising great service and then you don't deliver - you lose the client and and the effort of the sales force. Management then expects YOU to do your best to retain that client. It's not fair to the client, sales force or staff. I was glad when I was told my job had moved to Montreal as I didn't know what to say to client's anymore. I couldn't keep up with client expectations and the Sun Life surely didn't want us to tell the client's why... so it started to appear that staff wasn't up to par! Not Fair!
Pros
Staff
Cons

Want to know more about Sun Life Financial?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Marketing Consultant - Special Markets Chinese (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 November 2016
advancement is hard it seems pretty hard to move past lv 6 and the work life balance seems to be non existent above lv 5.
Dont really like the job rank system but the work place is filled with great people
Great working environment for a student with approachable colleagues
Product Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2017
Working as a summer student at Sun Life was an amazing introduction to the working corporate world. I was treated as an equal and trusted by my employer and colleagues. I was given freedom in the work I did and that allowed me to build up my time management and planning skills.
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
Great
Investigative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
I really love sun life . Work culture is good. They are supportive when it comes to work place home life balance . Benefits are available and geared towards to what your family needs
Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Flexible hours but heavy work load.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Flexible hours. Management is supportive. Benefits are good. Workload is heavy due to department being understaffed. Need to do overtime to finish work. Training is not well balanced but in the works and improvements are noted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
heavy workload
Employer who tries hard but limits support for career advancement
Abilities Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
Moving to another role is a long process and is only given to employees that will have the least impact to the budget. They will hire a less qualified person over the best candidate, in order to save money.
Pros
Good work from home & in-office balance
Cons
No room for advancement
Strong performing company with a clear direction.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
The company has a set of values and core pillars of growth that drives the business forward. Because business is growing, it is constantly busy. Expect a tremendous amount of work to be completed quickly with accuracy. A high performance culture drives the workforce. Overall a good company with many opportunities.
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 September 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
Competitive and Rewarding
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 July 2016
Great benefits, wonderful management, terrific room for advancement and personal growth/developement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.

85%