Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Pros
Training
Cons
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Pros
Make as much as you want.
Cons
Long hours, Very stressful
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Pros
Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons
can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
Pros
Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons
Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
Productive, fast paced working environment
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2016
I started out at Sun Life successfully and happy. I exceled in my first role and I was promoted just over 6 months after I was hired. In the Client Services role I worked independently but also relied on my team to continue to learn and keep up with the ever changing role. After a year they closed the office and transitioned everyone to work from home. The management team has removed several good resources from my grasp (can no longer ask peers for help, have to rely on an internal search engine) and due to the fast paced environment of a call center I did not learn as quicky as I used to. Management began to expect more from us without proper training and guidance for all learning types. I learn by watching and doing, and this was no longer available to me.
Pros
Benefits, annual salary, helpful peers
Cons
Unhelpful management, worked from home
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Pros
Focus on innovation and growth
Cons
No work-life balance
workplace environment
QA Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2016
Firstly i need to say thank s to this organization where i got a opportunity to explore myself much better ,where i learnt a lot of new things .I also thank to my team where the staff are very deciated towards their work in delivering quality software the endusers.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 30, 2015
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
Pros
Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons
Not the industry I want to see myself work in
Good company to work for
Procurement Consultant - Sourcing Services (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 25, 2016
Good company to work for as it is one of the largest and reputable Insurance companies in Canada. Offers a work life balance which is an added bonus. Great company with career growth opportunities. Highly recommend.
Flexible, work life balance
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Very encouraging management team with great coworkers and culture. Need a lot of connections, 100% commissions. Very hard to find new clients if you don't already have a large network.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
100% commissions
work hard and pay hard job
Rockie Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
two meetings everyweek, need to be attended at 9am for the meetings to learn new products and share store about what you do to the clients. The hartest part is doing the cold-calling. you need to take rejects all the time.
Very structured, easy to get into system and start working
Senior Consultant (Test Lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
Systems, processes are well structured and people are very helpful.
I got chance to learn and work on many technologies.
Pros
structured environment
Cons
i don't know any
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 26, 2015
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Pros
Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons
Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
Pros
great people, great incentives
Cons
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 16, 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
Great opportunities
Sales Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 10, 2016
I learned a lot. The training that they provide is excellent and applicable. Very enjoyable work environment. I would recommend to anyone in a sales role that is looking for more.
Hired overqualified representatives with little room to advance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  WaterlooMay 3, 2016
Very simple but hectic job; phone is always ringing and little time for projects or improving one's self, even for the company.
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 18, 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Best place I've worked so far
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 10, 2016
Very friendly staff. Every client would receive a freshly made novelty coffee. Its like a home away from home. Very welcoming and the Owner/entrepreneur knows how to live life :)
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Long hours of sitting