Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons: can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Focus on innovation and growth
Cons: No work-life balance
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Dynamic work environment with great coworkers, good benefits, good pay, and good work hours.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Work hours, salary, annual bonuses and raises, work culture.
Cons: Being tied to the phones, unable to give out personal extention to provice better customer service.
I loved this job. The constant monitoring of all metrics sometimes got tiring but it made for achievable goals which was rewarding. The culture and my coworkers made what could have sometimes been a tedious job enjoyable. Honestly, had my division not been sold, I would still be there.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons: had to work canadian holidays
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Make as much as you want.
Cons: Long hours, Very stressful
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons: Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Training
Cons: Management
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: great people, great incentives
Cons: long hours
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
work culture
.Net developer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: We often have team lunches, and flexible work hours.
Cons: Long
. The very first day of my work, I got bunch of documentation on the current project. It took 3 days time for me, to understand what is going on around.

. I am lucky enough to work under the management, who is more loyal to employees. My management gave me a chance to improve my technical skills in the field of work.

. My co- employees are also kind enough to thought me, the areas of difficulties in the work. They are very social and innovative. I learned lot from my co- workers about, how to be competent.

.Sometimes(project dead lines), I felt little bit difficult to manage the time between personal and professional. But, in the end when we completed the task, the over all time spent on it was worthwhile.
Sun LIfe
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 1, 2016
Pros: Work Life Balance
Cons: Commision only
Good place to work, but commission only, Hove to prospect for your own clients. and be prepared for 2 years to build up your business
Excellent team, management needs to improve
Technical Specialist (Former Employee), MontrealMay 4, 2015
Pros: great people, great benefits
Cons: bad management, high turnover
If you get friendly with management, you will have more chance for advancement than your work will ever do. Just to give you an idea.
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee), Markham, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons: Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons: insecurity
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Easy going culture and very productive environment
Infrastructure Team (Current Employee), TorontoNovember 13, 2014
Pros: free food, friendly environment, flexible work hours
Cons: salary, job advancement, commute, full benefit coverage, long work hours with little pay
Working at SunLife during these couple months isn't bad and the work can be sometimes slow as a turtle or fast as a rocket. The management is okay, depends on the people you are under and their style of leadership. The big bosses are very knowledgeable, willing to listen from the grunts when opportunities are given.

Very flexible work hours, understanding managers when it comes to family issues or any time of injuries. As long as you are productive in your job and most people won't mind what you are doing.

However if you are looking for promotions, then it would be a different story and most opportunity to be manager or higher are very limited. Most people has been here as seniors for the longest period of their careers.
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Friendly People
Cons: Long hours of sitting
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 18, 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Senior Intake & Change Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Great place to work in a senior setting, the supportive management style gives the employee the ability to further develop their skill sets.I would highly recommend SLF.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons: Not the industry I want to see myself work in
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 16, 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.