Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Environment with Great People
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee), PickeringApril 8, 2015
Loved going to work everyday
Enjoyed working with all of the people that were in my office
Team building was a big part of the company which was great
Commissioned Sales opportunity with unlimited income potential
Senior Associate Manager (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 6, 2015
150 year old history
brand name
among top 3 financial companies in Canada
flexible timing
work life balance
holistic agents
Enjoyed training, coaching and joint-field work
fixiable working hours, provide lots of training, can meet with people from different area.
Advisor Calgary, A.B (Current Employee), Calgary,ABApril 5, 2015
Pros: lots of training
Sun Life Financial provide fixable working hours, I can manage working schedule depends on my client's need. By product information and sales skill training, I learned lots of knowledge from insurance and wealth product. And I also have opportunity to meet with different clients from different background. The co-workers in this company is nice, sometimes we work on new prospect and group clients together, and we share selling skill so that we could improve together. The hardest part of this job is to keep finding new prospect, try to find their need by talking to them so that provide product they might interest. Although this is hard, I do learn the communication skill with people.
Another step towards a career goal
Account Executive (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMarch 31, 2015
• Building and maintaining Advisor and Client relationships
• Main Sun Life contact for advisors and clients for all inquiries
• Responsible for the growth and profitability of an assigned block of business.
• Ensuring client and advisor needs are met through strong customer service and value added products and services
• Use of different operating Systems, CRM, and reporting systems
• Sold, Renewed, and negotiated Sun Life Group Benefit products and services
Good organization
Senior Application Analyst (Current Employee), North york, ONMarch 23, 2015
A good organization with secure job. Good technologies to work with a well balanced work-life. Flexible management with lot of employee friendly work options.
Good technology
Senior Systems Analyst/System Designer (Former Employee), North YorkMarch 9, 2015
Pros: stable systems, decent benefits
Good IT technology - very stable.
Able to increase the breath of types of systems, processes and projects that I worked on. Typically, people worked collaboratively, with some exceptions. Most development performed off-shore.
Life is brighter under the sun!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: level salary
Life is brighter under the sun!

You ca be your own boss, work on your own schedule and great when qualified during campaigns and convention.
Exciting and Fun place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: excellent management team
Cons: 100% commissions is stressful
I really enjoyed my employment with Sun Life Financial, not only because of the fact we are helping people find financial security, but the management team made being at the office a very happy place to be. The financial center in Kitchener was just like one big family, everyone was always competitive with each other, but everybody helped each other as well. I always enjoyed sharing tips and tricks on unique sales techniques with my fellow advisors.
Their are definitely highs and lows that come along with a 100% commissions career, but the lows were easy to overcome because of the support system we had.
With Sun Life, your constantly learning new things, and they really made learning a lot of fun.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), WaterlooFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great hours, independence
Provide medical and dental benefit coverage via incoming call center.

Best part was providing great customer service. Worst part was some people would be frustrated when they maxed out their benefit allowance - however, you just had to remain calm, positive tone, be apologetic yet assertive to plan members as it's their employers who make their benefit plans, not Sunlife Financial.
Owning your own Business
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Kitchener ONFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great bonuses
Cons: long hours
Great company
Met with client daily
Developed financial plans
Helping people was the most enjoyable part of my job
The hours were very long
The management did a great job training
Reviewed, examinied, calculated and audited claims investigated by the insurance adjuststers
Claims Administrator - Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 3, 2015
I found that when I did this particular job that I wasn't using my skills that I had acquired. My co-workers were easy to work with.
Same as prior Sun Life Review
Advisor (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 29, 2015
Please see prior Review of Sun Life Financial. Company review is the same, just a different role.
Good culture, but it's still a large company and a process based company
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2015
I love the fact that everyone wants you to learn and improve, the culture really supports development and it's a great company to work for.
A very professional work environment
Advisor (Former Employee), Richmond HillJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: excellent training and support
Cons: very unstable income/commission only/chargebacks.
- Great team attitude for a sales force industry.
- Excellent training systems available to increase knowledge, develop expertise and hone everyday skills and habits.
- Long hours needed to prospect and develop a clientele/block of business.
- Managers always willing to coach and support growth, answer questions, train advisors as needed.
- Learned an incredible amount about financial services and sales.
Productive and Good working Environment
TIBCO Developer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 13, 2015
Its really a good company that encourages the employees and appreciate their hard work
Warm and sincere people.
Market Insights Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: work-life balance, nice people, focused, professional, smart.
Cons: decision making is undertaken in a thoughtful manner and thus takes longer.
I've worked with Sun Life as a vendor and as a contractor covering a mat leave.

The people are genuine, sincere and warm. They are thoughtful in their approach to what they do, thorough, committed to doing the right thing, the right way.

The people I have worked with are fun, smart, hardworking and playful at the same time.

The organization's commitment to wellness has helped me to create a better work-life balance for myself and undertake significant improvements towards a healhty lifestyle.

I really enjoy working with Sun Life.
Financial Planner Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 6, 2015
Deposits and withdrawals, interacting with members, cashing cheques, checking post dated cheques, issuing primary and money order
Not fun
Sales/Customer Service Support (Former Employee), Toronto,OntarioDecember 22, 2014
Was poor in terms of any help required, it's each to it's own really.
Friendly, respectful work place
Backup Real Time Support Specialist (Current Employee), montrealDecember 17, 2014
The workplace is fine in regards to the environment, but for a company that prides itself on career advancement, there are a lot of empty promises to keep people motivated and mixed messages from management.
Lack of staff makes the front line job very taxing on individuals and people.
Amazing career if you put in the time, and have a safety net of money to fall back on.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), London, ONDecember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible hours; own your own business
Cons: finding your own clients; 100% commission
You really need to be dedicated to work this job.
Most people look towards family and friends for meetings and sales - I don't feel comfortable pushing products on the people I know and love. Other ways of getting clients are trade shows, cold calling, or referrals. One thing you NEED to be good at - talking on the phone.
The entire business is based around calling and booking appointments. The best times to call are 530-830 Monday through Thursday, when people are home from work. Be willing to work those times.
Some clients aren't able to meet during the day, so you'll have to book some evening appointments in the office or their home, or maybe even a weekend. Do NOT make a habit of meeting on weekends, otherwise your clients will grow accustomed to it and will expect it.
There are people that will help you in the job, and people who will bring you down (best to stay away from those). If you're a social person, and you want to make friends at work and travel and go to events with them, then you'll have fun here.
You need the drive to get up and go to work every day. Being your own boss and owning your business is a big responsibility. The first 3-5 years of your career at Sun Life, you should be working 50 hours a week, having 10-12 appointments per week, and making a minimum of 2 sales per week, which is harder than it sounds.

My piece of advice?
I came into this role right out of college. It works for some, but I wish that I had gone to a salary position first. When you're just starting out and you have bills and want to save up money, the office expenses and uncertainty of a paycheck will stress you out.
Be willing to become mutual fund licensed, so that you can have a stream of income once you build up your wealth portfolio - which will take a little while.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sun Life Financial

Sun Life is a leading international provider of protection and wealth accumulation products and services to individual and corporate – Read more

Sun Life Financial Photos