Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

productive and fun place to work
QA Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 13, 2016
productive and fun place to work.Positive and enthusiasm working environment. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads. Ideas are considered and everyone's perspective is valuable.
Commission and bonus structure not as explained and communicated during the recruitment process
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 8, 2016
You need to be passionate about what you do, you need to be very focused and self-accountable, self-motivated. The potential to earn a high income is there but there are several drawbacks to the actual commission payouts. You are 100% commission based and you will at times have to repay commissions when policies are lapsed, cancelled, terminated or declined.
Most are productive, enjoyable and encourage creativity.
Senior Client Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 31, 2016
Majority of the time your day goes by quickly with managing a block of business and being a direct contact for employers.

What I love about my job is working one on one with employers, helping resolve any issues or concerns that they may have with their investments for the employees. It is very satisfying.

In this role you never stop learning as legislation is always changing, processes are always changing as there is always process improvements.
Excellent benefits and positive work environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 26, 2016
Managers are very supportive and are more than willing to help you with any situation; they will even come with you to meet clients.
work hard and pay hard job
Rockie Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
two meetings everyweek, need to be attended at 9am for the meetings to learn new products and share store about what you do to the clients. The hartest part is doing the cold-calling. you need to take rejects all the time.
Best place I've worked so far
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 10, 2016
Very friendly staff. Every client would receive a freshly made novelty coffee. Its like a home away from home. Very welcoming and the Owner/entrepreneur knows how to live life :)
Great opportunities
Sales Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 10, 2016
I learned a lot. The training that they provide is excellent and applicable. Very enjoyable work environment. I would recommend to anyone in a sales role that is looking for more.
Very structured, easy to get into system and start working
Senior Consultant (Test Lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
Systems, processes are well structured and people are very helpful.
I got chance to learn and work on many technologies.
Pros
structured environment
Cons
i don't know any
Productive, fast paced working environment
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 6, 2016
I started out at Sun Life successfully and happy. I exceled in my first role and I was promoted just over 6 months after I was hired. In the Client Services role I worked independently but also relied on my team to continue to learn and keep up with the ever changing role. After a year they closed the office and transitioned everyone to work from home. The management team has removed several good resources from my grasp (can no longer ask peers for help, have to rely on an internal search engine) and due to the fast paced environment of a call center I did not learn as quicky as I used to. Management began to expect more from us without proper training and guidance for all learning types. I learn by watching and doing, and this was no longer available to me.
Pros
Benefits, annual salary, helpful peers
Cons
Unhelpful management, worked from home
Hired overqualified representatives with little room to advance
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  WaterlooMay 3, 2016
Very simple but hectic job; phone is always ringing and little time for projects or improving one's self, even for the company.
Good company to work for
Procurement Consultant - Sourcing Services (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 25, 2016
Good company to work for as it is one of the largest and reputable Insurance companies in Canada. Offers a work life balance which is an added bonus. Great company with career growth opportunities. Highly recommend.
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Pros
Training
workplace environment
QA Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2016
Firstly i need to say thank s to this organization where i got a opportunity to explore myself much better ,where i learnt a lot of new things .I also thank to my team where the staff are very deciated towards their work in delivering quality software the endusers.
Flexible, work life balance
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Very encouraging management team with great coworkers and culture. Need a lot of connections, 100% commissions. Very hard to find new clients if you don't already have a large network.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
100% commissions
Sun LIfe
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 1, 2016
Good place to work, but commission only, Hove to prospect for your own clients. and be prepared for 2 years to build up your business
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Commision only
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 18, 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Productive workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 11, 2016
This office was very welcoming and I enjoyed my time working there. I learned a lot about customer service and improved my communication skills.
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Pros
Make as much as you want.
Cons
Long hours, Very stressful
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Pros
Focus on innovation and growth
Cons
No work-life balance
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Pros
Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons
can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours