Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Great culture but big company with too many processes
SENIOR SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
Depending on your department, mine has a big problem with management. There's no advancement possible in admin. You are treated like if your are the b* of the office, while all your team members get recognized and gets trip all over the world, you will get to stay at the office and do everything without having any recognition. BUT, work hours are pretty flexible and the company overall has a great culture.
Pros
Free lunches, great job culture
Cons
No advancement, low salary, management
Unlimited earning potential and flexibility
Ontario Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 September 2016
Worked from home, set my appointments according to my schedule
I learned all about Insurance needs and peoples different opinions and values towards Life/Health and wealth.
I communited and met with Management or co-workers at meetings, special events and/or to discuss complex cases.
The hardest part of my job was to maintain a steady average income.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility it provided with the unlimited earning potential.
Pros
Flexibilty work/life balance
Cons
Irregular income pattern
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
Productive, fast paced working environment
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 May 2016
I started out at Sun Life successfully and happy. I exceled in my first role and I was promoted just over 6 months after I was hired. In the Client Services role I worked independently but also relied on my team to continue to learn and keep up with the ever changing role. After a year they closed the office and transitioned everyone to work from home. The management team has removed several good resources from my grasp (can no longer ask peers for help, have to rely on an internal search engine) and due to the fast paced environment of a call center I did not learn as quicky as I used to. Management began to expect more from us without proper training and guidance for all learning types. I learn by watching and doing, and this was no longer available to me.
Pros
Benefits, annual salary, helpful peers
Cons
Unhelpful management, worked from home
Awesome team spirit, customer-centrism, training, coaching, mentoring
Long Term Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
My impression from the first day to the last day at Sun Life is summed in these words, " if you look around you at 10 a.m and your environment is awesome, your colleagues are simply great, you are supported to be the best in the job you do, and you enjoy your job, then you are very lucky".

My Sun Life experience is nothing short of awesome on daily basis, the training, the mentoring, the coaching, the customer feed back.

I enjoyed every bit of it and I will miss it.
Pros
Team, bonding, training, coaching, growth, etc
Cons
The environment was too positive for me to notice cons, the management is in constant improvement gear.
Energetic place to work
Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
People were good and easy going. There were opportunities for advancement. Fast pace environment and good team work. Was a fast pace office and very busy. There was alot of variety on the job and it could be very challenging sometimes and lots to learn.
Pros
good management
Cons
could not work from hom
Great Atmosphere, Great Coworkers, High Stress Environment
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 September 2016
A great company with a long history. They have provided a great atmosphere with opportunity for advancement. Only downfalls are the high stress environment and the sometimes questionable commitment to the fiduciary duty of their clients.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Long hours, little structure
Competitive and Rewarding
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 July 2016
Great benefits, wonderful management, terrific room for advancement and personal growth/developement
Great
Investigative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 September 2016
I really love sun life . Work culture is good. They are supportive when it comes to work place home life balance . Benefits are available and geared towards to what your family needs
Flexible hours but heavy work load.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2016
Flexible hours. Management is supportive. Benefits are good. Workload is heavy due to department being understaffed. Need to do overtime to finish work. Training is not well balanced but in the works and improvements are noted.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
heavy workload
growth opportunities
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
- Good health benefits and retirements products
- Innovation opportunities

- Lack of work/life balance
- High expectations from management
Benefits
Cons
Long work hours
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Fun place to work
Marketing Consultant - Special Markets Chinese (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 November 2016
advancement is hard it seems pretty hard to move past lv 6 and the work life balance seems to be non existent above lv 5.
Dont really like the job rank system but the work place is filled with great people
Great company to work for when you have a family
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 September 2016
The hours are great, the holidays are decent and the wage is decent. All around a great company to work for. My benefits I don't think can be beat and I love working from home
Pros
work from home
Cons
no room for advancement
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 February 2016
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Pros
Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons
can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
due to down sizing I had to leave
Finance/Insurance/Retirement Planning (Former Employee) –  king street17 October 2016
due to down sizing I had to leave. I liked working in Sunlife. Great company with great benefits and good people to work with. many opportunities in the company for growth.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
downsizing
Strong performing company with a clear direction.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 December 2016
The company has a set of values and core pillars of growth that drives the business forward. Because business is growing, it is constantly busy. Expect a tremendous amount of work to be completed quickly with accuracy. A high performance culture drives the workforce. Overall a good company with many opportunities.
I'm glad I made the move!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 June 2016
I have been a Financial Advisor with Sun Life Financial for a little over 2 years now and I can honestly rate the role, most specifically the financial centre where I work, truly outstanding. Since starting 2 years ago I have had the opportunity to assist my friends, family, and anyone who have been referred to me with their financial planning. I asked myself "why not?" Every household needs the solutions Sun Life Financial provides anyway so I'd rather get paid for it instead of the banks. I'm so glad I made the move to pursue the Financial Advisor career as I have always wanted to run my own financial services firm. This role is not for the "employee-minded" individual. You've got to have the entrepreneurial mindset as the main objective to succeed in this role is effective business development. Otherwise, you would end up like the other individuals who have left negative reviews here on Indeed. It is a challenging role as there are some factors you cannot control (eg. cancelled appointments, declined/cancelled plans). However, the positives heavily outweighs the challenges and hence it makes it rewarding. Our branch has multiple Hall of Famers and that is a true testament to the great culture and support that we receive at our financial centre. Training & development programs from Sun Life are certainly industry-best and you won't receive this same treatment from any other independent/brokerage firms. Lastly, the members of our management team were former top performers themselves and so all I do is consistently apply the same effective strategies that my managers and senior  more... financial advisors have been doing.  less
Pros
Outstanding support system; Above average income; residual income
Cons
Revenue fluctuates just like any business
Highly productive environment
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 October 2016
My day begins late afternoon.
I've learned how to maintain and surpass my targets.
Management are friendly and helpful
Co-workers are pleasant
Most difficult part of the job, really can't think of anything at this time
The most enjoyable part of the job is the different tasks that I perform
Pros
Flexible breaks
Cons
afternoon shift
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2016
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Pros
Make as much as you want.
Cons
Long hours, Very stressful