Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Hired overqualified representatives with little room to advance
Financial Representative (Current Employee), WaterlooMay 3, 2016
Very simple but hectic job; phone is always ringing and little time for projects or improving one's self, even for the company.
Good company to work for
Procurement Consultant - Sourcing Services (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 25, 2016
Good company to work for as it is one of the largest and reputable Insurance companies in Canada. Offers a work life balance which is an added bonus. Great company with career growth opportunities. Highly recommend.
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Training
Cons: Management
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
workplace environment
QA Test Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2016
Firstly i need to say thank s to this organization where i got a opportunity to explore myself much better ,where i learnt a lot of new things .I also thank to my team where the staff are very deciated towards their work in delivering quality software the endusers.
Flexible, work life balance
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Pros: Very flexible
Cons: 100% commissions
Very encouraging management team with great coworkers and culture. Need a lot of connections, 100% commissions. Very hard to find new clients if you don't already have a large network.
Sun LIfe
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 1, 2016
Pros: Work Life Balance
Cons: Commision only
Good place to work, but commission only, Hove to prospect for your own clients. and be prepared for 2 years to build up your business
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 18, 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Productive workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 11, 2016
This office was very welcoming and I enjoyed my time working there. I learned a lot about customer service and improved my communication skills.
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Make as much as you want.
Cons: Long hours, Very stressful
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Focus on innovation and growth
Cons: No work-life balance
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons: can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons: Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: great people, great incentives
Cons: long hours
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
Senior Intake & Change Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Great place to work in a senior setting, the supportive management style gives the employee the ability to further develop their skill sets.I would highly recommend SLF.
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons: insecurity
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Great working environment
FINANCIAL SERVICES CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2015
Large call centre team where agents are required to assist terminated or retired member. Agents must upsell to members with additional products.
Was a great company to start with however all changed with the selling of the US Annuities
Customer Service (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 29, 2015
Very secretive about Jobs future with selling Annuities, once informed closing Canadian office was strung along with closing date for over a year
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Friendly People
Cons: Long hours of sitting
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons: had to work canadian holidays
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people