Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Not what you think!
Advisor (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Training
Cons: Management
Spent a few years at Sun Life. Initially fun, but after a year, you are just another number and if you aren't part of the click with the manager, then you won't last. Very high advisor turnover! They played off as "by the book" and "fair," not so much! They have their favourites in there and will feed them business and you will be forgotten!! All in all, solid training, but in no way the end all and be all of carriers as they brainwash you to think! The Independent channel is the best option hands down! More money and you can offer you clients so many options you cannot at Sun Life!
Commission based and you better have a lot of leads and sell to family!
Financial Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Make as much as you want.
Cons: Long hours, Very stressful
You are expected to sell to family and friends. It is a commission based job so there are months where you do well and other months where you barely scrape by. There is a lot of pressure from management to sell a lot of products to its very intense and stressful.

They always sweet talk you to get you into the office and start work. After that the sales managers start backing away as they are busy recruiting new members. The turn over is quite high.
A dream place to work at
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Compensation is above average in comparison to the industry
Cons: can get stressful at times due to work load; it requires lots of hours
Working as a Financial Advisor for Sunlife Scarborough has been excellent so far. I started 7 years ago after working from another financial institution and it's been rewarding so far. The management team and fellow advisors are really pleasant to work with. The culture we have in this financial centre is positive & fun and it doesn't feel like work at all. Most of all, it's the way we are able to make a difference to our communities day in and day out that is very rewarding.
Good Company, Good People
Claims Administrator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: Great staff, great manager, great work hours, central location, good pay!
Cons: Work tasks were repetitive, production quotas have to be met!
My typical work day started with sorting, processing and filing the insurance forms according to type and specific codes on the forms.

Everyone does their part within the team and as a team!

My manager was fair, professional and friendly and made sure we were content with our tasks.

I've had the privilege to work with real nice team and am still friends with them to this day!

The hardest thing about my job was that I was the last hired and didn't have the amenities to perform as efficiently as the other employees, which made my position a little tiring, but the manager was reasonably understanding my disposition!
Excellent progressive company
Director, National Marketing and Brand Development (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Focus on innovation and growth
Cons: No work-life balance
Great focus on innovation and growth so ample opportunities for employees to grow and learn. Excellent salary and benefits. Must be comfortable with change and with working with large and diverse group of individuals. Can sometimes be cliquey and political.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons: Not the industry I want to see myself work in
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
workplace environment
QA Test Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2016
Firstly i need to say thank s to this organization where i got a opportunity to explore myself much better ,where i learnt a lot of new things .I also thank to my team where the staff are very deciated towards their work in delivering quality software the endusers.
Good company to work for
Procurement Consultant - Sourcing Services (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 25, 2016
Good company to work for as it is one of the largest and reputable Insurance companies in Canada. Offers a work life balance which is an added bonus. Great company with career growth opportunities. Highly recommend.
Flexible, work life balance
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Pros: Very flexible
Cons: 100% commissions
Very encouraging management team with great coworkers and culture. Need a lot of connections, 100% commissions. Very hard to find new clients if you don't already have a large network.
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee), Markham, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons: Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 16, 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
A great group of people
Advisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: great people, great incentives
Cons: long hours
I was self employed under the SunLife name, it taught me alot about myself and pushing myself to meet goals and exceed them. I worked 24/7 so it was not a good balance for work and homelife.
work culture
.Net developer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: We often have team lunches, and flexible work hours.
Cons: Long
. The very first day of my work, I got bunch of documentation on the current project. It took 3 days time for me, to understand what is going on around.

. I am lucky enough to work under the management, who is more loyal to employees. My management gave me a chance to improve my technical skills in the field of work.

. My co- employees are also kind enough to thought me, the areas of difficulties in the work. They are very social and innovative. I learned lot from my co- workers about, how to be competent.

.Sometimes(project dead lines), I felt little bit difficult to manage the time between personal and professional. But, in the end when we completed the task, the over all time spent on it was worthwhile.
selling is not everything
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 18, 2016
Very questionable business practices with how management looks after their advisors. Even if you are a good seller they are always making you focus on their goals and not yours
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Friendly People
Cons: Long hours of sitting
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
Was a great company to start with however all changed with the selling of the US Annuities
Customer Service (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 29, 2015
Very secretive about Jobs future with selling Annuities, once informed closing Canadian office was strung along with closing date for over a year
Senior Intake & Change Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Great place to work in a senior setting, the supportive management style gives the employee the ability to further develop their skill sets.I would highly recommend SLF.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons: had to work canadian holidays
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Professional Easy going work environment
Application Security Manager (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 1, 2015
Professional, Easy going, laid back and productive! Business environment. Company is an insurance company and a large company, however flex time and hours, lots of work from home opportunities.