Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Good
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 25, 2016
Excellent company but need to recruit more young people to continue the success of the company.
Implant new technology and hire new management in Montreal who understand the market.
Pros
high comission
Cons
management
Competitive and Rewarding
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 25, 2016
Great benefits, wonderful management, terrific room for advancement and personal growth/developement
Friendly working environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 24, 2016
Great co-workers make job fun and interesting. They understand when family issues come up, and give priority to taking care of family.
Fast-paced environment
Bilingual Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2016
Great place to work under the right management. Great values.

There is room for advancement, but no clear direction from higher management as to how to get there. Do your homework, as there is little support.

Unfortunately, the company decided to invest further into micromanagement, which is overwhelming their employees.
Pros
Values and people
Cons
Micromanagement
Good people, good culture
Business Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 21, 2016
My team in particular is a really great team to work in, my manager and my colleagues supported me and it's generally a warm atmosphere in my team.
Great people!
Financial Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 16, 2016
Commission based work is tough, but the managers are very supportive and actively help advisors develop their own business.
Large Corporation with good benefits
Illegibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 14, 2016
It is a good company to work for, but does not suit what I am looking for in a job environment. Flexible working hours provide an easy way to have a positive home/work balance
Fun & Relax Environment
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Island, QCJuly 11, 2016
Great Location.
Wonderful coworkers from all cultures.
Basic reception secretarial duties.

Best parts of the job were taking on special event coordination like award ceremonies and charity events.

Most challenging but rewarding part of the job was learning and working with multiple software systems catered to Sunlife.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Parking
growth opportunities
Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2016
- Good health benefits and retirements products
- Innovation opportunities

- Lack of work/life balance
- High expectations from management
Benefits
Cons
Long work hours
Change your life with Sun Life
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 30, 2016
When i first entered this career with Sun Life, I came from a very successful career.

The initial fear of leaving a safe, well paid job was quicky overcome when I realised how flexible my schedule could be, the income potential I had and the positive impact on my community I could have.

For me making a career change was a big decision and Sun Life and their management team has made this a very enlightening experience.
Pros
Great Income potential, great support, great work environment.
Cons
Requires you to have above average skills and abilities.
I'm glad I made the move!
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 29, 2016
I have been a Financial Advisor with Sun Life Financial for a little over 2 years now and I can honestly rate the role, most specifically the financial centre where I work, truly outstanding. Since starting 2 years ago I have had the opportunity to assist my friends, family, and anyone who have been referred to me with their financial planning. I asked myself "why not?" Every household needs the solutions Sun Life Financial provides anyway so I'd rather get paid for it instead of the banks. I'm so glad I made the move to pursue the Financial Advisor career as I have always wanted to run my own financial services firm. This role is not for the "employee-minded" individual. You've got to have the entrepreneurial mindset as the main objective to succeed in this role is effective business development. Otherwise, you would end up like the other individuals who have left negative reviews here on Indeed. It is a challenging role as there are some factors you cannot control (eg. cancelled appointments, declined/cancelled plans). However, the positives heavily outweighs the challenges and hence it makes it rewarding. Our branch has multiple Hall of Famers and that is a true testament to the great culture and support that we receive at our financial centre. Training & development programs from Sun Life are certainly industry-best and you won't receive this same treatment from any other independent/brokerage firms. Lastly, the members of our management team were former top performers themselves and so all I do is consistently apply the same effective strategies that my managers and senior  more... financial advisors have been doing.  less
Pros
Outstanding support system; Above average income; residual income
Cons
Revenue fluctuates just like any business
great place to learn
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 27, 2016
Fun and relaxing environment, Management team always willing and able to assist in closing sale. Sent to various different learning schools to get a better understanding of company and products
productive and fun place to work
QA Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 13, 2016
productive and fun place to work.Positive and enthusiasm working environment. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads. Ideas are considered and everyone's perspective is valuable.
Commission and bonus structure not as explained and communicated during the recruitment process
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 8, 2016
You need to be passionate about what you do, you need to be very focused and self-accountable, self-motivated. The potential to earn a high income is there but there are several drawbacks to the actual commission payouts. You are 100% commission based and you will at times have to repay commissions when policies are lapsed, cancelled, terminated or declined.
Most are productive, enjoyable and encourage creativity.
Senior Client Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 31, 2016
Majority of the time your day goes by quickly with managing a block of business and being a direct contact for employers.

What I love about my job is working one on one with employers, helping resolve any issues or concerns that they may have with their investments for the employees. It is very satisfying.

In this role you never stop learning as legislation is always changing, processes are always changing as there is always process improvements.
Excellent benefits and positive work environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 26, 2016
Managers are very supportive and are more than willing to help you with any situation; they will even come with you to meet clients.
work hard and pay hard job
Rockie Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
two meetings everyweek, need to be attended at 9am for the meetings to learn new products and share store about what you do to the clients. The hartest part is doing the cold-calling. you need to take rejects all the time.
Best place I've worked so far
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 10, 2016
Very friendly staff. Every client would receive a freshly made novelty coffee. Its like a home away from home. Very welcoming and the Owner/entrepreneur knows how to live life :)
Great opportunities
Sales Associate Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 10, 2016
I learned a lot. The training that they provide is excellent and applicable. Very enjoyable work environment. I would recommend to anyone in a sales role that is looking for more.
Very structured, easy to get into system and start working
Senior Consultant (Test Lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
Systems, processes are well structured and people are very helpful.
I got chance to learn and work on many technologies.
Pros
structured environment
Cons
i don't know any