Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Take a job a Sun Life? Risk being outsourced shortly thereafter
Claims Analyst (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: decent physical space to work in and good ammenities.
Cons: insecurity
Continued outsourcing to foreign countries has made working at Sun Life volatile, pressurized and insecure.

Expectations an quantifying every second of your day has made it impossible to make rational decisions that are qualitative based. If you do you are scrutinized for not accomplishing both. Thinking an issue through with care to both the policy holders and the company requires a balance. Sun Life only cares about the bottom line and the stock prices anymore.

Acting like a true insurance company the odds of statistics are used to determine what is in their best interest financially. Outsourcing has dramatically increased the error rate of a claim but they play the odds. How many people will really notice or complain. So they take the low road with their staff and reduce the Canadian component of the company with ever increasing speed. No loyalty to their people that built them, their country or their policy holders.

Sun Life housed the crown jewels during WWII for pity sake. How Canadian is that?

Bye Bye Canada. Don't believe their advertising, it is a lie.
Great working environment
FINANCIAL SERVICES CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2015
Large call centre team where agents are required to assist terminated or retired member. Agents must upsell to members with additional products.
Was a great company to start with however all changed with the selling of the US Annuities
Customer Service (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 29, 2015
Very secretive about Jobs future with selling Annuities, once informed closing Canadian office was strung along with closing date for over a year
Very helpful
Practicum Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Friendly People
Cons: Long hours of sitting
I did my practicum there for one hundred hours. Friendly people, I felt welcome, and whenever I don't understand something they are always ready to help. They gave me an idea of what to expect when I get a "real job."
Very friendly and supportive working environment. Encourage and support career advancement.
Associate Director, Asia Desk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2015
Management is supportive and care about your career growth. Various trainings are provided for beginner leaders. Co-workers are friendly and are smart.
not fun
Annuity Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: American Holidays off and lunch after the season was done
Cons: had to work canadian holidays
this place was micromanaged. crummy wages but had great benefits as it is an insurance company. movement up is tough b/c there are so many people
Professional Easy going work environment
Application Security Manager (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 1, 2015
Professional, Easy going, laid back and productive! Business environment. Company is an insurance company and a large company, however flex time and hours, lots of work from home opportunities.
Financial Advisor/Assistant for top earning advisor
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Learned how to opperate the phone, learned how to sit in meetings with clients.
Cons: Not the industry I want to see myself work in
Working along side one of the top earning advisors in Canada I learned how to run a book of business. I learned how to handle satisfied clients and how to deal with upset clients. I learned how to make daily calls and achieve daily and weekly goals. We set a very high standard for ourselves and were able to achieve them regularly.
Good Career Starter
Jr. Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
The company is managed properly but could do better. Learning new technologies and working with intelligent yet fun loving people is the best part of the workplace culture.
Great place to work with great development possibilities
On-Site Support Technician (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 16, 2015
Sun Life Financial was a fantastic place to work. During my time there I met a variety of interesting people belonging to multiple different cultures. It was very easy to apply my current knowledge while expanding my knowledge with anything I might need to know in the future.
Typical Insurance Company with multiple projects
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 27, 2015
A very professional company which follows Continuous Maturity Model Integeration level 3 processes. They allow sometimes to work from home, should the circumstances.
Positive environment with great leadership.
Advisor (Current Employee), Markham, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Great campaign prizes, Festive events, Great leader.
Cons: Monthly overhead cost, commission structure.
Work life balance is empeccable and positive support from managment. Ample training provided with great motivation and events provided throughout the year. Fantastic opporturnity to be in a self employed environment but also have support from a reputable large organization.
Admin Assistant position
Advisor (Former Employee), Richmond Hill ONOctober 19, 2015
Learn about the role of advisor as well as the company itself. Good opportunity for students or those looking to get into the business as an advisor at Sun Life. Clerical work as well as contacting clients, making appointments and follow ups.
An amazing company to work for
Business Coordinator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 1, 2015
Sun Life is an amazing company with many perks for being an employee. My coworkers and management are amazing to work with. I love how it feels like a big family.
fun place to work
Advisor (Current Employee), barrie onOctober 1, 2015
Good environment good training from corporate office full commission environment . Need to be willing to learn independently
Great work life balance
Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 1, 2015
Management is supportive on work from home due to life demands. Senior management is very approachable and take the time to get to know you.
work culture
.Net developer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: We often have team lunches, and flexible work hours.
Cons: Long
. The very first day of my work, I got bunch of documentation on the current project. It took 3 days time for me, to understand what is going on around.

. I am lucky enough to work under the management, who is more loyal to employees. My management gave me a chance to improve my technical skills in the field of work.

. My co- employees are also kind enough to thought me, the areas of difficulties in the work. They are very social and innovative. I learned lot from my co- workers about, how to be competent.

.Sometimes(project dead lines), I felt little bit difficult to manage the time between personal and professional. But, in the end when we completed the task, the over all time spent on it was worthwhile.
Difficult to sell, very competative, good working with clients
Advisor (Former Employee), Brantford Ont.September 16, 2015
Pros: working with my clients
Cons: Long hours
Would not get into this again. Too many people are negative towards insurance. Co-workers were good.

Had one senior advisor that became my mentor, and he taught me a lot. I'm grateful to him.
productive work
BUSINESS SYSTEM CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: close to work-out place with great program
Cons: long hours
New skills gained and great team to work with

the most enjoyable part of time with Sunlife is I was very regular to work-out to avoid the morning traffic.
All of my past work experience
Resolution Case Manager (Former Employee), MontrealSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: knowledge, learning, new challenges.
Cons: Not having the right training fore a new position
Working for large corporations or small business, it has been a great experience and eye opener.
Adapted and enjoyed each company I have been employed by. I had different responsibilities and work environment.
Seems I always deal with customers on the phones or face to face.
With Toyota Credit Canada Inc, was involved in customer service, call centre. Helping or answering questions for customers /dealers of their contracts for loans or leases of a vehicle.
At a work force we meet lots of people, co-workers and management. I have made long lasting friends,
As a personnel view, we all need improvement in one way or another. Could be structure of company, politics, way its managed .... to the small person in the front line. We all need to grow !
We do not go by a day, that we do not learn something new !
The hardest or enjoyable part of a job, is satisfaction.
For me, as a customer service agent, its important that I have answered all questions and resolved the issue. At times we get that challenging customer ( as my years of experience), each one person is so different from another. My view at this is just breath and have the customer his/her time to speak out, than take control. Need to have good listening skills, patient and empathy.
The most enjoyable part of my job, was working as a Team....
Learning/helping another co-worker .