Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good technology
Senior Systems Analyst/System Designer (Former Employee), North YorkMarch 9, 2015
Pros: stable systems, decent benefits
Good IT technology - very stable.
Able to increase the breath of types of systems, processes and projects that I worked on. Typically, people worked collaboratively, with some exceptions. Most development performed off-shore.
Life is brighter under the sun!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: level salary
Life is brighter under the sun!

You ca be your own boss, work on your own schedule and great when qualified during campaigns and convention.
Exciting and Fun place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: excellent management team
Cons: 100% commissions is stressful
I really enjoyed my employment with Sun Life Financial, not only because of the fact we are helping people find financial security, but the management team made being at the office a very happy place to be. The financial center in Kitchener was just like one big family, everyone was always competitive with each other, but everybody helped each other as well. I always enjoyed sharing tips and tricks on unique sales techniques with my fellow advisors.
Their are definitely highs and lows that come along with a 100% commissions career, but the lows were easy to overcome because of the support system we had.
With Sun Life, your constantly learning new things, and they really made learning a lot of fun.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), WaterlooFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great hours, independence
Provide medical and dental benefit coverage via incoming call center.

Best part was providing great customer service. Worst part was some people would be frustrated when they maxed out their benefit allowance - however, you just had to remain calm, positive tone, be apologetic yet assertive to plan members as it's their employers who make their benefit plans, not Sunlife Financial.
Owning your own Business
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Kitchener ONFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great bonuses
Cons: long hours
Great company
Met with client daily
Developed financial plans
Helping people was the most enjoyable part of my job
The hours were very long
The management did a great job training
Reviewed, examinied, calculated and audited claims investigated by the insurance adjuststers
Claims Administrator - Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 3, 2015
I found that when I did this particular job that I wasn't using my skills that I had acquired. My co-workers were easy to work with.
Same as prior Sun Life Review
Advisor (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 29, 2015
Please see prior Review of Sun Life Financial. Company review is the same, just a different role.
Good culture, but it's still a large company and a process based company
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2015
I love the fact that everyone wants you to learn and improve, the culture really supports development and it's a great company to work for.
A very professional work environment
Advisor (Former Employee), Richmond HillJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: excellent training and support
Cons: very unstable income/commission only/chargebacks.
- Great team attitude for a sales force industry.
- Excellent training systems available to increase knowledge, develop expertise and hone everyday skills and habits.
- Long hours needed to prospect and develop a clientele/block of business.
- Managers always willing to coach and support growth, answer questions, train advisors as needed.
- Learned an incredible amount about financial services and sales.
Productive and Good working Environment
TIBCO Developer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 13, 2015
Its really a good company that encourages the employees and appreciate their hard work
Warm and sincere people.
Market Insights Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: work-life balance, nice people, focused, professional, smart.
Cons: decision making is undertaken in a thoughtful manner and thus takes longer.
I've worked with Sun Life as a vendor and as a contractor covering a mat leave.

The people are genuine, sincere and warm. They are thoughtful in their approach to what they do, thorough, committed to doing the right thing, the right way.

The people I have worked with are fun, smart, hardworking and playful at the same time.

The organization's commitment to wellness has helped me to create a better work-life balance for myself and undertake significant improvements towards a healhty lifestyle.

I really enjoy working with Sun Life.
Financial Planner Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 6, 2015
Deposits and withdrawals, interacting with members, cashing cheques, checking post dated cheques, issuing primary and money order
Not fun
Sales/Customer Service Support (Former Employee), Toronto,OntarioDecember 22, 2014
Was poor in terms of any help required, it's each to it's own really.
Friendly, respectful work place
Backup Real Time Support Specialist (Current Employee), montrealDecember 17, 2014
The workplace is fine in regards to the environment, but for a company that prides itself on career advancement, there are a lot of empty promises to keep people motivated and mixed messages from management.
Lack of staff makes the front line job very taxing on individuals and people.
Amazing career if you put in the time, and have a safety net of money to fall back on.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), London, ONDecember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible hours; own your own business
Cons: finding your own clients; 100% commission
You really need to be dedicated to work this job.
Most people look towards family and friends for meetings and sales - I don't feel comfortable pushing products on the people I know and love. Other ways of getting clients are trade shows, cold calling, or referrals. One thing you NEED to be good at - talking on the phone.
The entire business is based around calling and booking appointments. The best times to call are 530-830 Monday through Thursday, when people are home from work. Be willing to work those times.
Some clients aren't able to meet during the day, so you'll have to book some evening appointments in the office or their home, or maybe even a weekend. Do NOT make a habit of meeting on weekends, otherwise your clients will grow accustomed to it and will expect it.
There are people that will help you in the job, and people who will bring you down (best to stay away from those). If you're a social person, and you want to make friends at work and travel and go to events with them, then you'll have fun here.
You need the drive to get up and go to work every day. Being your own boss and owning your business is a big responsibility. The first 3-5 years of your career at Sun Life, you should be working 50 hours a week, having 10-12 appointments per week, and making a minimum of 2 sales per week, which is harder than it sounds.

My piece of advice?
I came into this role right out of college. It works for some, but I wish that I had gone to a salary position first. When you're just starting out and you have bills and want to save up money, the office expenses and uncertainty of a paycheck will stress you out.
Be willing to become mutual fund licensed, so that you can have a stream of income once you build up your wealth portfolio - which will take a little while.
Productive and modern work enviroment
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 25, 2014
Cons: highly sedentary
Sun Life has a very modern and results oriented environment. Most positions I’ve held have been fast paced and require a dynamic approach to resolution.
Extremely fun place to work with extensive training and development
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Grande PrairieNovember 18, 2014
Pros: extensive training, meeting new people, selling top notch products in the industry, backed by a supportive management team.
Cons: none.
Prospecting began everyday to build one's own client base. Managed existing clients with follow ups and reviews, talking about products and services they may not have yet. My co-workers were great people and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was the prospecting, which also is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job as well.
Easy going culture and very productive environment
Infrastructure Team (Current Employee), TorontoNovember 13, 2014
Pros: free food, friendly environment, flexible work hours
Cons: salary, job advancement, commute, full benefit coverage, long work hours with little pay
Working at SunLife during these couple months isn't bad and the work can be sometimes slow as a turtle or fast as a rocket. The management is okay, depends on the people you are under and their style of leadership. The big bosses are very knowledgeable, willing to listen from the grunts when opportunities are given.

Very flexible work hours, understanding managers when it comes to family issues or any time of injuries. As long as you are productive in your job and most people won't mind what you are doing.

However if you are looking for promotions, then it would be a different story and most opportunity to be manager or higher are very limited. Most people has been here as seniors for the longest period of their careers.
overall good environment
Risk Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2014
typical work environment for risk management, relatively small risk teams compared to banks
Dedicated Company to their Advisors and Clients
Group Benefits SunAdvantage Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2014
Pros: able to work independently, job task gives you a sense of accomplishment
Working in the Group Benefits Sales area is fast pace, motivating and self driven.
Knowledge in group benefits in all area is of utmost importance and you learn something new everyday. Every task gives you a sense of accomplishment.
You are required to work independently, and if needed your co-workers and manager are there to discuss and resolve any issues.
The most challenging and enjoyable part of the job is meeting the turnaround times. We do rely on other sources for information, and in the sales area timing of responses are crucial. It is challenging for me as I strive in providing great customer services by being able to respond right away. When I am not able to, it is important to inform the waiting recipient right and provide a timeline for expectation.
I take pride in my job and in building relationships. This only results in excellent service!

1 2 3 4 5

About Sun Life Financial

Sun Life is a leading international provider of protection and wealth accumulation products and services to individual and corporate – Read more

Sun Life Financial Photos