Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada

Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive place to work with good benefits
Assistant Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Portsmouth, NHApril 16, 2012
Pros: good benefits, 401k matching contributions, sick pay, holiday pay, and generous vacation time, flexibility to telecommute
Cons: short breaks, unavailable management
Working for Sun Life Financial for the last 5+ years has been an adventure. Each day, while performing the same activities, I always learn something new. I see different diagnoses day in and day out and have learned many things about health care, how the body reacts to certain diseases, and what it means to truly help someone.

Each day, I endure many – more... tasks including claims processing which entails comparing the acts of a medical condition to the wording within a specified group contract. I place many phone calls each day to claimants, physicians, and claimants employers to obtain additional medical documentation, employment responsibilities, wage information, accident details, etc to help in making the fairest decision possible for each claim received. I manage complex tasks such as researching medical conditions that may be considered work related as well as reading state laws in comparison to a claimants accident details to ensure that their claim does not fall within the contracts exclusions and limitations. Should a claim fall within these categories, I am responsible for writing and communicating each denial to the appropriate parties. Additional tasks include answering emails, participating in conference calls with claimants, employers, physicians, and coworkers. As well, certain additional tasks may be assigned each day, such as creating training modules for new hires, assisting coworkers with system issues, etc.

Our management dept within Short Term Disability has been changed frequently over the last 3 years and even today is still with transitions. Due to this, there is a lack of availability from management to assist with questions. Coworkers are a very tight knit family and we do our best to assist each other with overflow of work and simple questions. It is our decision to ask coworkers for assistance prior to going to a manager.

The hardest part of the job is finding a manager that is available to provide guidance on more complex claim situations.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and receiving favorable feedback from each person. On many occasions, I have received phone calls around the holidays from those individuals whom I have really helped and receiving holiday cards from them as well. – less