Summitt Energy

Summitt Energy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Call Center Supervisor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2015
Pros: You can come in late every day as long as you are doing your job
Cons: no room to improve yourself
Typical work day is log into the phone and take inbound calls.
I have learned that you need to be dishonest to customers to keep your job.
Management - Did my research on the call center supervisor and director and none of them have an education background. If you try to complaint on something that is not right you will get fired.
Co-workers are smarter than the management
Hardest part of the job is learning to turn a blind eye to all the unethical behaviour from management
Best part of my job is there is no discipline in this environment.
High energy dynamics
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: traveling, personal development, incentive programs, commission based salary, job advancements
Cons: extremely long hours, 6-7 day weeks, commission based salary, can procure dangerous environments
the day starts at the office at 11am for a team meeting to set goals review yesterday's results, prep talk from the boss, and sometimes news articles on energy costs/forecasts will be passed around,
fill up your binder with contracts with terms and conditions, disclosure statements, price comparison forms, receive a map of your territory for the day. go over tactics, strategy, objection handling, etc.. have lunch and depart for your territory. Once you've been dropped in your territory start knocking until 9pm.

management is dedicated to helping you develop interpersonal skills, as the job requires you to solicit business door to door.

The pitch is broken down into a few steps

Introduction: name, company, reason for being here
Get the Bill
Explain/Expand: where they are, where they're heading, where there going to be
Ask for signatures: go over disclosure and price comparison
Close:
Hand a filled out business card, copy of contract with terms and conditions, disclosure, price comparison, once signed.
call HQ to input order request,

Though a lot of people throw this business structure in the scammers category, it most certainly helps develop sales experience for any position. salary is strictly commission based, traveling is a lot of fun, however, it comes out of your own pockets.

Payout:
Hydro= 75$
Gas= 90$
Carbon offset= 40$
HVAC rentals: 125-200$

incentive program:
you have the potential to receive a paid weeks vacation
Eg; Bahamas, Amsterdam, Egypt, Spain etc,

each product procures a certain amount of points
eg: hydro =110pts
HVAC= 200-300pts
to qualify for the excursion, you must accumulate 100'000 pts
Working at Summitt Energy
Retention Administrator (Current Employee), MississaugaJanuary 7, 2015
Great place to work and meet fantastic people. Summitt Energy gives you the best training for the job if you are not familiar with, easy job if you love people and fun work place. They were great people to work with and great management. Very grateful of the opportunity I had to work there.
Great work environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Love that i can never expect what is going to happen in a day of work, it is different every time. Meet and help different people everyday. Learned to be able to reach customers from a different approach by going to the confort of their own home. There is a very close work relationship with the group and we are able to help each other when its needed. Hardest part is going door to door at a -40 weather, but u learn to dress warm and be able to still have a good day. Love how fast paced and different my job is everyday.
co-workers are helpful but have to out in long work hours
Business Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 26, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: long hours
A nice place to start your career with, a lot of new things to learn about the energy industry on the whole. Co-workers are excellent and are always willing to help.
Fun work environment with the benefit of multiple age groups
Customer Service Representative/CSR Trainer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2014
P.L.A.S.P. embodies the High/Scope curriculum and allowed me to engage with preschool children as well as kindergarteners. Informative as well as fun and a great example of how childcare benefits both educators and children.
Contractual Position
Reention (Former Employee), Hurontario and BritanniaApril 1, 2014
Pros: not micro managed
Cons: contract
On a typical day at Summitt Energy I would come in review my spreadsheets and work on the accounts that have yet to be completed. The type of accounts that would come to my desk would be expiring accounts that either need updating or renewal.

Management and employees were very co-operative and engaged and on a scale of 1 - 10 I would definitely give them a 7.5.

Nothing about the job was too difficult but I would say one of the more tedious parts of the position was trying to locate customers who have numbers that were outdated and have moved from there addresses that we had on file.

Working at Summitt was definitely fun because of the other employees and incentives they would sometimes have available.
Avoid this place at all costs
Team Lead - Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 21, 2014
Pros: seriously, nothing.
Cons: if i typed out all the cons my fingers would literally fall off
Summitt Energy is without a doubt the absolute worst place I have ever worked. Summitt is an energy re-seller, which means they buy gas and electricity from the utility companies at a bulk discount rate, then offer it to their customers at a fixed rate. They also offer some other services which I will provide more details on a little further along.

What makes this company terrible to work at? A number of things, but I'll delve into some of the more pressing issues. First of all, the company has a terrible business model. You must hear from time to time about people getting scammed at the door by sales reps who fraudulently misrepresent themselves as utility workers, and sweet talk their way into getting unsuspecting homeowners to sign water heater rental and fixed rate energy contracts. Not only are these sales tactics morally and ethically wrong, the sales reps are instructed to do this by head office. The contracts have outrageous cancellation fees, and working there day in day out hearing about case after case of poor seniors, immigrants, and housewives being swindled out of their hard earned money was truly heartbreaking.

My job there was taking re-affirmation calls. This means that when a sales agent has "secured" a sale, they will call in to the call center to have us go through a script of questions to affirm that the customer is fully aware of what they're signing up for and what the stipulations of the contract are. This way is a dispute ever arises, the company can produce a sound file of the recorded call and stand behind the fact that the customer agreed to everything. – more... Problem is, most of the so called customers were either immigrants or elderly people who didn't understand what was happening and were instructed by the rep to just answer yes to our questions.

Now lets talk about the job itself. The call center was located in a professional office building in Mississauga (I even bumped into Robert Herjavec from Dragon's Den in the elevator once). The dress code was semi-professional and the work environment a pretty typical call center setting with rows of cubicles. The people there (with a few exceptions) were fairly nice and decent to get along with. By the end the group of people i directly worked with our department were practically family. The job paid $14/hr with absolutely no benefits.

What I didn't really like about this place was the culture of fear they cultivate. They constantly have you worried about losing your job so as to scare you into doing your job correctly. They unnecessarily scrutinize little details to find fault so they can berate you. Summitt masquerades as a professional place to do business but really its a laughably unprofessional and amateur operation. They have multiple departments run by unqualified people simply because they happened to be there when the company was small and stuck around until it got larger. For example HR and Payroll is one lady, who has no real background in this field or any post secondary education. Same with management, and this lack of professional courtesy and corporate etiquette became blatantly obvious. Imagine a corporate office run by high school students that are grown adults and you'll get the idea of what its like.

I could spend an eternity blasting this company but at the end it wouldn't do any good. All I can do is hope that someone will read this, and not apply to this company. I know you are unemployed, I know you need money. Trust me I've been there. EI running out, rent to pay, but trust me its not worth selling your soul. 2 weeks in and you'll be regretting the worst decision you've ever made. There is so much better out there. Don't apply to Summitt Energy, the worst company ever. – less
A Great Place to Work
Compliance Specialist (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: contineous learning, positive environment
Fun, energetic environment. Management has employees best interest at heart. Management has strong product and industry knowledge. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
Marketing job is one of the hardest job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: travelling allowance
Cons: long hours
Each day is little hard because of door to door service. I learned how to deal with customers and make them to buy our marketing products. Management gives good support as well as improve my confidences. Co-workers are so friendly. Hardest part of the job is to convince customers make them to buy the product. The most enjoyable part of the job is travelling to new place in each day with co-workers.
Highly recomended
Technical Support (Current Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 20, 2013
This is the best place to learn a lot of new wok. Very good environment to work
I had the best experience here
Technical Support (Current Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 18, 2013
These guys are focused on team work. I had the best experience here and going to continue in the future as well.
Highly recommend
Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 16, 2013
I had great experience working with these guys. Their CEO was so impressed me that. whenever i bring food the MD share my tiff-in with his. Highly recommend anon to work here.
Excellent Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), ONJune 17, 2013
From day one, I knew Summitt Energy was where I wanted to be. I was very impressed with the people I met during the interview process, and my respect for the Summitt Energy team has increased over time. The opportunity to make a difference each day and contribute to the overall success of the company is deeply rewarding. The people I get to work with are the most enjoyable part of my position. We have a diverse team with a wealth of experience and subject matter experience. My position affords me every opportunity to learn and grow professionally while working. It's truly the best company I've had the opportunity to be a part of, and I look forward to many years at Summitt Energy.
Learning Division
Customer Service (Former Employee), Canada, ONJune 10, 2013
It’s been an incredible journey of 2 years in the organization, where each day is new and challenging. Summitt Energy has always provided me the support and guidance to grow as a professional. Probably the most open work culture in the industry, which allows you to share your ideas to contribute in the growth of the organization. It’s a great feeling to be part of Summitt Energy.
No structure at all.
Retention Specialist (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 1, 2013
Pros: okay wage
Cons: everything else
No defined values or morals, no structure at all. Procedures change on the fly with all the blame coming down on you as an Entry level person.
Dishonest manager
Part-time independent sales agent (Former Employee), vancouverMarch 5, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: bad pay
bad manager, it doesnt have a good system for employees, very low rate of close deals
Friendly environment
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 13, 2012
Pros: free transportation
Travelling
Saving Energy- bringing back Solar panels
Respectful and Friendly co-workers
The hardest and part of the job is door to door knocking.
The most enjoyable part of the job is travelling and meeting new people everyday.