Summitt Energy Employee Reviews

All Work, No Pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
All Work, No Pay.

Commission based with the key part out of your hands.
Sketchy business practice employed.

Save yourself the trouble of working here for free and find a job that actually pays.
Pros
Restaurants close by
Cons
All Work, No Pay
productive and fun place to work
Sales representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 September 2016
it is a fun and productive place to work. Great for people who need experience and communication skills. Stressful day. I go door to door to persuade people to use summit energy as their local utility supplier
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2016
If you're self-motivated, you can do something at that company. Can make many friends across the organization. Continuous improvement.
Pros
fun, friendly, informative
Cons
night shifts
Standard Work Environment
Portfolio Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 December 2015
A growing company that is oriented around traditional business practices. Generally good co-workers with positive attitudes.
Pros
Good Co-workers
Cons
Inflexible work hours
Direct marketing
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2015
Summitt Energy is a company which subcontracts its employees through various marketing firms. They prefer a direct marketing approach, ie, door to door sales. I'm sure you can understand the strain placed on employees in such an environment and, the morals and business approach taken by the company leading to my low rating of them. I did enjoy working for them and had many great managers and influences; however, the overall attitude of the company was not parallel to my own and, therefore did not work out. I do not begrudge my former employees, nor do I harbor a grudge. It was just simply not to be.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
It was door to door sales
this company was shady
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2015
This company didnt value their employees. There was a lot of drama. The management had very limited knowledge of our work
Best Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 May 2015
Typical day is coming in the evening logging in and making phone calls to the US customers.
I have learned that being honest in this company can get your fired. Because a few of my co-workers are always late for work and slack off by using their phones while working and a couple of people went to report this and a few months later they were fired for trying to report people.
The management is really under skilled. people are leaving because the place is not being managed properly.
the hardest part of my job is knowing that I am smarter than the management and learning to keep my mouth shut when they are providing a poor and unrealistic way of doing things.
the best part of my job is i get to enjoy the benefits of coming in late and taking longer lunch period. the evening supervisor leaves before his shift and we don't complain on his therefore he doesn't mind us breaking the rules either.
Pros
you can arrive late for work
Cons
there is no training
Call Center Supervisor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 May 2015
Typical work day is log into the phone and take inbound calls.
I have learned that you need to be dishonest to customers to keep your job.
Management - Did my research on the call center supervisor and director and none of them have an education background. If you try to complaint on something that is not right you will get fired.
Co-workers are smarter than the management
Hardest part of the job is learning to turn a blind eye to all the unethical behaviour from management
Best part of my job is there is no discipline in this environment.
Pros
You can come in late every day as long as you are doing your job
Cons
no room to improve yourself
High energy dynamics
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 February 2015
the day starts at the office at 11am for a team meeting to set goals review yesterday's results, prep talk from the boss, and sometimes news articles on energy costs/forecasts will be passed around,
fill up your binder with contracts with terms and conditions, disclosure statements, price comparison forms, receive a map of your territory for the day. go over tactics, strategy, objection handling, etc.. have lunch and depart for your territory. Once you've been dropped in your territory start knocking until 9pm.

management is dedicated to helping you develop interpersonal skills, as the job requires you to solicit business door to door.

The pitch is broken down into a few steps

Introduction: name, company, reason for being here
Get the Bill
Explain/Expand: where they are, where they're heading, where there going to be
Ask for signatures: go over disclosure and price comparison
Close:
Hand a filled out business card, copy of contract with terms and conditions, disclosure, price comparison, once signed.
call HQ to input order request,

Though a lot of people throw this business structure in the scammers category, it most certainly helps develop sales experience for any position. salary is strictly commission based, traveling is a lot of fun, however, it comes out of your own pockets.

Payout:
Hydro= 75$
Gas= 90$
Carbon offset= 40$
HVAC rentals: 125-200$

incentive program:
you have the potential to receive a paid weeks vacation
Eg; Bahamas, Amsterdam, Egypt, Spain etc,

each product procures a certain amount of points
eg: hydro =110pts
HVAC=
  more... 200-300pts
to qualify for the excursion, you must accumulate 100'000 pts
Pros
traveling, personal development, incentive programs, commission based salary, job advancements
Cons
extremely long hours, 6-7 day weeks, commission based salary, can procure dangerous environments
Working at Summitt Energy
Retention Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga7 January 2015
Great place to work and meet fantastic people. Summitt Energy gives you the best training for the job if you are not familiar with, easy job if you love people and fun work place. They were great people to work with and great management. Very grateful of the opportunity I had to work there.
Great work environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 January 2015
Love that i can never expect what is going to happen in a day of work, it is different every time. Meet and help different people everyday. Learned to be able to reach customers from a different approach by going to the confort of their own home. There is a very close work relationship with the group and we are able to help each other when its needed. Hardest part is going door to door at a -40 weather, but u learn to dress warm and be able to still have a good day. Love how fast paced and different my job is everyday.
co-workers are helpful but have to out in long work hours
Business Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 October 2014
A nice place to start your career with, a lot of new things to learn about the energy industry on the whole. Co-workers are excellent and are always willing to help.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Fun work environment with the benefit of multiple age groups
Customer Service Representative/CSR Trainer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 August 2014
P.L.A.S.P. embodies the High/Scope curriculum and allowed me to engage with preschool children as well as kindergarteners. Informative as well as fun and a great example of how childcare benefits both educators and children.
Contractual Position
Reention (Former Employee) –  Hurontario and Britannia1 April 2014
On a typical day at Summitt Energy I would come in review my spreadsheets and work on the accounts that have yet to be completed. The type of accounts that would come to my desk would be expiring accounts that either need updating or renewal.

Management and employees were very co-operative and engaged and on a scale of 1 - 10 I would definitely give them a 7.5.

Nothing about the job was too difficult but I would say one of the more tedious parts of the position was trying to locate customers who have numbers that were outdated and have moved from there addresses that we had on file.

Working at Summitt was definitely fun because of the other employees and incentives they would sometimes have available.
Pros
Not Micro managed
Cons
Contract
Avoid this place at all costs
Team Lead - Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 March 2014
Summitt Energy is without a doubt the absolute worst place I have ever worked. Summitt is an energy re-seller, which means they buy gas and electricity from the utility companies at a bulk discount rate, then offer it to their customers at a fixed rate. They also offer some other services which I will provide more details on a little further along.

What makes this company terrible to work at? A number of things, but I'll delve into some of the more pressing issues. First of all, the company has a terrible business model. You must hear from time to time about people getting scammed at the door by sales reps who fraudulently misrepresent themselves as utility workers, and sweet talk their way into getting unsuspecting homeowners to sign water heater rental and fixed rate energy contracts. Not only are these sales tactics morally and ethically wrong, the sales reps are instructed to do this by head office. The contracts have outrageous cancellation fees, and working there day in day out hearing about case after case of poor seniors, immigrants, and housewives being swindled out of their hard earned money was truly heartbreaking.

My job there was taking re-affirmation calls. This means that when a sales agent has "secured" a sale, they will call in to the call center to have us go through a script of questions to affirm that the customer is fully aware of what they're signing up for and what the stipulations of the contract are. This way is a dispute ever arises, the company can produce a sound file of the recorded call and stand behind the fact that the customer agreed to
  more... everything. Problem is, most of the so called customers were either immigrants or elderly people who didn't understand what was happening and were instructed by the rep to just answer yes to our questions.

Now lets talk about the job itself. The call center was located in a professional office building in Mississauga (I even bumped into Robert Herjavec from Dragon's Den in the elevator once). The dress code was semi-professional and the work environment a pretty typical call center setting with rows of cubicles. The people there (with a few exceptions) were fairly nice and decent to get along with. By the end the group of people i directly worked with our department were practically family. The job paid $14/hr with absolutely no benefits.

What I didn't really like about this place was the culture of fear they cultivate. They constantly have you worried about losing your job so as to scare you into doing your job correctly. They unnecessarily scrutinize little details to find fault so they can berate you. Summitt masquerades as a professional place to do business but really its a laughably unprofessional and amateur operation. They have multiple departments run by unqualified people simply because they happened to be there when the company was small and stuck around until it got larger. For example HR and Payroll is one lady, who has no real background in this field or any post secondary education. Same with management, and this lack of professional courtesy and corporate etiquette became blatantly obvious. Imagine a corporate office run by high school students that are grown adults and you'll get the idea of what its like.

I could spend an eternity blasting this company but at the end it wouldn't do any good. All I can do is hope that someone will read this, and not apply to this company. I know you are unemployed, I know you need money. Trust me I've been there. EI running out, rent to pay, but trust me its not worth selling your soul. 2 weeks in and you'll be regretting the worst decision you've ever made. There is so much better out there. Don't apply to Summitt Energy, the worst company ever.
Pros
Seriously, nothing.
Cons
If I typed out all the cons my fingers would literally fall off
A Great Place to Work
Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2014
Fun, energetic environment. Management has employees best interest at heart. Management has strong product and industry knowledge. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Contineous Learning, Positive Environment
Marketing job is one of the hardest job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 January 2014
Each day is little hard because of door to door service. I learned how to deal with customers and make them to buy our marketing products. Management gives good support as well as improve my confidences. Co-workers are so friendly. Hardest part of the job is to convince customers make them to buy the product. The most enjoyable part of the job is travelling to new place in each day with co-workers.
Pros
travelling allowance
Highly recomended
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 November 2013
This is the best place to learn a lot of new wok. Very good environment to work
I had the best experience here
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 November 2013
These guys are focused on team work. I had the best experience here and going to continue in the future as well.
Highly recommend
Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2013
I had great experience working with these guys. Their CEO was so impressed me that. whenever i bring food the MD share my tiff-in with his. Highly recommend anon to work here.

4.2