Subway

11.2K reviews

Subway Employee Reviews

good to work there but not that good.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 26, 2013
Its good to work over there as a team member like dealing with new faces everyday.What i like the most when i work alone over there and there are number of customers over there.Its kind of challenge to give each and everyone the sub what they want keeping in mind the value of their time.
My time management has really improved after working over there.Moreover you get chance to interact with different persons so its good for increasing my confidene though.
I have very good tuning with my team members. Ouir every work is divided and we have to do our assigned jobs.What is hate most is that there is no security in this job as no chances of increments.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short hours
Love working on a small team, easier to get to know your coworkers.
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QCJune 15, 2015
A typical day at Subway for me involved baking breads, and cookies, heating soups, preparing meats and veggies.
Making sandwiches according to formulas and working the cash.
When peak hours were over, cleaning up, dishes, filling the unit, etc.

I learned to deal with unsatisfied customers, how the menus worked, prices, combos, etc. Learned to manage my time with the tasks I had to accomplish.

I got along with all my co-workers.

There wasn't really a hard part of the job that i can remember.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making friends with coworkers and interacting with the regular customers.
Pros
Free 6 inch every 5 hours.
Enjoyable workplace!
Food Prep/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stayner, ONJune 19, 2012
Working at this Subway Restaurant opened me up to a lot of different things. I learned how to deal with tough and stressful situations, for example, a busy restaurant. I also learned how to work faster than I ever had before. My math skills improved as I was constantly handling money, and so did my customer service skills. The most enjoyable part of this job was actually the customers. It was fun to interact with them to make their meals.
Pros
the customers, and all of the hours i was given.
Cons
the hours were good in a way, however, i found them clashing with school work. i am currently finished school for the summer, and am gladly seeking to get back into the workplace.
sometimes productive but very little communication
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2016
i learned to never rely on other people to do the work. Doing it yourself saves you from a lot of stress even though it wasn't your work to do. management was great at first until my pay checks were weeks late and i would constantly have to ask when it was coming in , My co-workers were fine sometimes we had language barriers but that didn't stop them from working. The hardest part of the job was closing the store every Saturday, trying to keep everything clean like it was never used. the most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships i had with regular customers that would come in often.
Pros
Free Sandwiches
Cons
you dont get paid on time
subway
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2013
A typical day at work would be a busy lunch service and prep before hands to make sure you keep the line moving and no room for mistakes. What i have learned that working at fast paste is not hard when you know exactly what you are doing. The management at the time was good and work was given out evenly. Co- workers were great to work with and really helpful to new people. I do not think i find any part of this job hard it was quiet simple the harder you work the easier it was. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you make friends and new relationships in the time period. like a family atmosphere where we all work together.
Pros
free lunche
Cons
security, long hours, work pressure
Enjoyable and safe workplace.
Cashier and Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 12, 2012
A typical day at work for me would begin with starting during the lunch hours and closing. The lunch hours(10:30AM - 2:30 PM) were most enjoyable part of the day, but also the most difficult part of the day because it was very challenging due to the high volume of customers, however, I love challenges since they keep things interesting. My Managers, Supervisors, and co-workers were all very friendly, treat me as equal, and do not take advantage of their power. I had very good work experiences at Subway as I was able to build on my customer service skills and confidence.
Pros
very flexible with shifts.
Cons
amount of janitorial work, closing procedures.
Work on a daily basis
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONOctober 13, 2012
A typical day at work I would be serving customers, filling the pop fridge and chip racks, making prep and cleaning the restaurant. I learned how to multitask and get tasks done within a certain time limit. My co-workers are easy to work with and get along with. Even though most times some co-workers complain about their co-workers, I've learned to ignore it and get past it and not get involved with drama at work. I let criticism make me and not break me. The hardest part of the job would probably be trying to keep up with everything, because Subway usually has only 2 people working a shift. The most enjoyable part is serving customers and interacting with them.
Great people, fast paced work enviroment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJuly 20, 2012
My typical day at work involved cutting produce, and making sandwiches the way customers requested. I also would interview possible new employees, handle large sums of money, and supervised up to 8 people daily. Working for subway was a great opportunity. You meet so many great people, and learn new things daily. The hardest part of the job is when you have one person not working as hard as they should be, and slows down the team. In this case you have to work harder, but in the long run everything turns out to work out great.
Pros
meet hundreds of new people, meet new friends, great co-workers, and management, supportive.
Cons
cutting yourself with knives
Keep up the wonderful smile
Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONJuly 30, 2015
Starting the day managing and preparing the equipment for opening the store. Preparing the schedule were the staff member would be work. Processed customer orders and payments. Handing cash and closing end off the sale.
I learned that handing cash can be big task when its a big amount of money. When you are full focused into your work, it can be seem easy to handle. If you are understandable and cooperated then it is easy to get along with co-workers.
I hardest part of work was when the store ran out of food supply, and we would suggest the customer something else to try.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in team and helping each other out.
Productive and fun place to work in, clean environment, great culture and easy going place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Subway was a very nice and easy place to work in with amazing co-workers and also great customers. As an employee at subway, i learned to be much more patient and also fast and more productive. There was really no hard part of this job but it would get hard to deal with customers sometimes if they were rude and not patient but i had to deal with it in a very polite and easy going manner. Being nice to the customer is very important as the customer is always right. Every day of this job was enjoyable for me because I learned a lot of new things.
Pros
great environment
Cons
school and work life not very balanced
Not a good place to work there is little freedom that is offered.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 29, 2013
It's a place where dreams come to die. Everyone there is overworked and under paid. They want your maximum efforts for eight hours a day with a shortened break. It seemed to me like working in a sweat shop where management was always breathing down your neck and being penalized was hard to avoid. Even people who have been working there for twenty years were still yelled at. Management also made false promises to my co-workers saying that they would increase their pay, but would never follow through.
Pros
they paid you the right amount of money
Cons
bad management, poor work space, depressing atmosphere, lack of freedom
Very fast paced environment with many different duties that had to be accomplished in each shift.
Team Leader/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 30, 2012
This was a great work experience. I worked closely with customers as every orders is custom and service was our top priority. You learn a wide variety of job tasks from baking bread, food prep, customer, service, food safety and cleaning. It was great to work with people my age the hardest part of the job was completing all the daily tasks prior to the next shift starting. You couldn't predict how busy you were going to be, so that was a little challenging. I like being the one that closed the store at night.
Pros
free food
Cons
when other workers would not show up for their shifts
Productive day working with employees and satisfying customers.
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJanuary 31, 2015
Overall, i enjoy my position at Subway. The employees are respectful as well as myself. I learn responsibilities, ways of handing money,learned how to work at a fast paste. The hardest part of the job was when i first started working there, and found it difficult too remember all the different kinds of meat, however, i quickly learned after working for a few weeks. The most enjoyable part of this job, was meeting new people, both employee and customer. I like to satisfy my customer, and have a good relationship with my employee to present a friendly work environment.
Pros
discount on lunches
Cons
supper rush
managing time and speed
Team Member (Current Employee) –  1833 Grant Ave. Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 31, 2014
I opened the store on Sunday for very first time and thought that this was not going to be busy but suddenly it got got busy. We were only two new employees on the store. We were getting out of breads.Then i called my manager and he and another employee came in and helped us. I learned that time management and speed are very important at work place.
The hardest part of the job on that day was that i had to do two employee's work at the same time that is making the sandwich for employees and doing the transactions.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making sandwiches.
Pros
free meal and 50% off on certain items.
Cons
working for hours with no specific timing of break.
Day at Subway
Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONOctober 20, 2014
Duties consist of receiving and handling cash payments. Serving customers with the highest quality of customer service and food quality. Was promoted to supervisor where duties consist of running a shift and crew, assigning tasks, and allowing the store to function to its full capabilities. Also was appointed the Health and Safety Representative for the store. These duties consist of doing monthly health and safety reports allowing for a safe work place for the employees. Also trained for Assistant manager. Duties consist of calculating labour cost, food cost, weekly files and paper work, calculating Pay roll, Inventory etc.
Educational and interesting
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Riverside Drive and Lauzon Windsor, ONApril 21, 2013
I found working at Subway to be a great learning experience for me. I enjoyed serving the customers that came in and became regulars, They were very interesting after you got to know them.
When I first applied at Subway I thought it would be difficult but I was welcomed by nice staff members which made my time there pleasant. One day a member from head office came in and it was an educational introduction,I learned a lot about the company from her which made me want to continue working for Subway. I would happily suggest that people apply at this franchise.
Pros
free lunches, great learning experience.
Cons
dealing with long lines of people.
productive, fast paced workplace.
sandwich artist, customer service and cashier (Former Employee) –  burnaby, bcSeptember 2, 2013
a typical day at work usually consists of cleaning and sanitizing all equipments and work areas, then baking the bread and prepping the meats and vegetables ready for use. Most importantly, tending to customers. I have learned a lot about food safe and how to handle food products, time management because everything has to be completed on time. there is no hard part of the job once you are properly trained and are informed on what to do. the most enjoyable part of the job is tending to my customers, having a short but sweet conversation with them as i prepare their sandwiches.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low pay
day at work
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  winnipeg,mbOctober 6, 2014
you come in you do your basic cash in and get your hair net on and hat and apron and check around and see what needs to be done. usually by this time a customer is there and I will tend to the customer and be friendly as possible. Then I usually help prep the food so we don't have to make customer wait because we always want to ensure that customer get fast service and leave with a smile and we make sure that they want to come back again. When there are no customers then we clean everything that needs to be clean till customer arrive. When the shift is over we do a count and cash out and punch it all in the computer and that's a normal shift.
Pros
free food when on shift
Sandwich Artist
sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 6, 2012
I had a great experience working in subway I developed so much customer service qualities. My shift would start everyday at 8:30 am where I had to open the store , after I had to turn on machines and start baking bread and cookies , during that time I had to also serve breakfast to customers . After 12pm I start to heat up other meats and serve for customers and when I had nothing to do I always cleaned up took food tempertures and preped fresh vegtables . At 3:30 pm I would start counting money and making deposites to close my shift.
Pros
i meet new people everyday, learned how to cope with all types of customers, and learned how to deal with rush hours
Productive and fun workplace with very kind employees
General Helper (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 30, 2013
A typical day at work at Subway consists of me opening up the restaurant at 7:00am. I am the manager of the restaurant so my management is very kind to me, as well as my co-workers. I have grown to become very good friends with the staff at Subway. The hardest part of the job is doing the inventory every Wednesday, its not necessarily hard but it is the busiest day because I have to take in the delivery and then send in the report to the headquarters. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to interact with customers who tend to be super nice.
Pros
interacting with customers
Cons
lack of security at night time