Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,268 reviews matching the search
Very friendly
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ONNovember 21, 2015
A good place to work. very friendly, long hours and young staff.

Weekends are the most stressful due to its location in north Ontario.
management is weak and carless
great place to work
food counter attendant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 21, 2016
it is a good place to work.but less salary.have been there for more than 2 years and growth opportunities are minimal.though we get free meals and extra time also.
Pros
free meals
Cons
less pay.
A Wonderful and Caring Environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2015
Subway was my first job when I was thirteen, and it helped me not only grow as an individual, but as a dedicated employee as well.
I stayed with Subway for seven years and I do not regret it one bit. It was a very friendly and heart-warming place to be, and I was always happy to be at work. I made some great friends along the way, as well as gained the skills I will need to further me in my future career.
Productive and an open place with amazing people.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Lively, ONApril 12, 2016
Typical day included cleaning, washing vegetables, doing dishes,etc. I was always learning new ways to stock the place and make things better for our customers, our management was great and I loved working for them. Also, all my co-workers where always right there if you needed help and they didn't hesitate to help you, but the hardest part is that at night you would get scared of the people because the place is beside a bar. Other then that, I always loved going to work because of the people.
Good workplace overall with very little room to advance
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJanuary 25, 2016
- Stressful days with grumpy workers constantly. A lot of pressure on nightstaff and unfair rules. A lot of the management and hours depended on favouritism and many employees were afraid to speak up. Very nice and fun co-workers.
Pros
free 6 inch sandwich on break
Cons
management.
Productive and cooperative work place with flexible schedules
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2016
My manager is very flexible and co-operative in scheduling and managing the time of Subway and the employees. I am never forced to take up a shift which is difficult for me to do for example when I have school or any plans. My co-workers are also very helpful and I enjoy working with them as they are very friendly and great to have chat with during break time. There's nothing really hard about the job, it is just multiple tasks but very simple and enjoyable.
Pros
Discount employee meals, flexible schedules
Cons
opening
Amazing workplace
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 12, 2015
I started my career with subway and it has been an amazing one for sure, there were some cons to this work, that i strongly disliked but i was appreciated for my hard work.
Pros
Long Lunches
Cons
Salary
making sandwiches wasn't really hard
Sandwich Maker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hull, QCJanuary 27, 2016
Working at subway was my first job ever. I was about 15 turning 16 years old. i liked working there back in the days but it was hard because they gave me too many hours and with school it was hard.
Pros
free subs
Cons
Working for subway can be a very stressful and unappreciated workplace.
Sandwich Artist/Store Closer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 1, 2016
The job in which you are normally tasked to do involves making sandwiches for customers, which for the most part is without issue. However Subways tends to under staff at crucial times leaving the employees with a steady stream of customers to work with while having their duties to the store prevented.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Minimum wage for work which deserves a slightly higher pay
I loved working for subway until there was a change in management at my location
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 21, 2016
My experience as a employee for subway was amazing I loved my job and all the people I worked with were amazing until our location had a change in manager..and I left do to not being allowed to tend to a family emergency without a threat of my pay being held and loss of job I would without a second thought take another position as a closed for subway any day
Pros
Amazing hours great staff decent pay
Cons
Besides my one run in with my manager that forced me to quit i found no cons with working for subway
Good place to work at, management is excellent.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 5, 2016
Daily prep and serving customers. Cleaning and organizing products. The management is excellent and co-workers are very nice and welcoming.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
there isn't any cons
Great first time job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
Greeted and interacted with customers, prepped for the next day. Management was very lenient and helpful, very helpful for a teenager in his/her first job.
good working environment
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 20, 2016
it is a wonderful experience but shifts are very long so i want to change my job. i am looking for a good job with good salary for an hour.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long shifts
Great business
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXMarch 2, 2016
Great owners and management to work for. Very great people, to work with and around. Enjoyed my time there. They appreciate all of their employee's.
productive work with amazing leadership.
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONApril 8, 2016
Working in Subway was the best experience of my life.Working in subway given me hands-on experience. I have learned the professional communication with the customer which will help me for the future and my co-worker was amazingly talented with their work. For me there wasn't any part was it difficult everything was sooth and easy and my manager she gave us the best training at the work which help me and other my co-workers a lot.
Pros
one sandwich per day
Cons
12hr to 14 hr shifts
Miserable, unfair, underpaying
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONSeptember 5, 2015
Initially It was an easy going job, easy to learn.

I was trained during the day. As it turns out, day staff gets 2-3 employees while the morning, evening and overnight staff were left alone, no matter how busy it got.

If you worked during the day, it was an okay job.

Any other shift, was miserable. customers were rude, workload was too heavy, and we constantly ran out of things. It was not a good time.

The overall place wasn't the cleanest, and 99% of the time, I wouldn't take my free meals for this reason. They were lazy with checking expiration dates, and I'm pretty sure sold expired/ questionable guacamole, breakfast sausage and egg. The dates on all prepared products were constantly changes for inspection one a month... so at the beginning of the month, you know foods were left in the sandwich unit too long unless it was a good seller.

The steak smells and tastes like dog food.
The ham and Turkey makes you want to vomit. Smells rancid.

The cheese is constantly all melted together from being left out too long.... sometimes the day staff would have it on the counter for hours upon hours during the day. Gross.

Some staff, had only 1 raise of a nickel in 2+ years of working there. I failed to receive my promotion, or my 6 month raise.

I don't recommend this as a first job for anyone. Creates bad work habits and is a poor example of proper workplace cleanliness. I worked at 3 locations. None were any different than the others.
Pros
free footlong.
Cons
long hours, underpaid, understaffed, rude customers
We always get the minimum salary and the work is heavy
Sand-witch Artist (Former Employee) –  Downtown, torontoFebruary 24, 2016
No extra benefits
No fixed shift
Hard work
Need to prepare almost everything everyday
Have to work in multiple locations
Good to improve communication skills
Good food
Subway overall job summary
Sandwich Artist/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONApril 25, 2016
I learned and grew a lot over the year at subway.
I was responsible for opening the store, as well as closing the store on nights (key holder).
I enjoyed having that responsibility, as well as hours.

What I liked about my job was having many, many regulars come in all the time. It gave me a sense of improvement, always.

Learning new skills and helping is my favourite part about any job.
Pros
Gaining Further Employment and skills with the company
Cons
min. wage
cooperative co workers
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 22, 2016
Working at subway seems easy job for everyone,though its little hectic when there is a line up in front of your little eyes ;)At subway we gotta be little more fast than average,cause we get only one minute to serve each customer.Our subway was located at busy location in the centre of city.Though with the co-operative staff and management,I enjoyed every moment working there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
work load because of busy hours
Comfortable work environment
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oxford, NSJuly 4, 2016
Over the past 3 years working at subway I have enjoyed all of it. The staff is always great and acts as a small family. We all have developed problem solving skills and increased our customer service skills. The most stressful part is with making sure everything is as it should be even when its busy, but, with the time management skills that we have learned and developed it is never too much to handle.

2.8