Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,242 reviews matching the search
Decent place to work
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Deep River, ONMay 7, 2016
Decent place to work. Closing sucks. Come home smelling like it at least you dont smell like grease though.
Most enjoyable part of the job was getting free subs.
Fast paced workplace
District General Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 3, 2016
I worked for Subway for 9 years. In that time I started as a junior manager and eventually moved my way up in the company to be the District General Manager.

A typical work day was checking in all 8 locations operations, policies and scheduling. To ensure that every store was set up for success for the day/week. I travelled to all locations, helped train and hire employees.

What did I learn? ALOT! I learned how to hire/train/discipline employees. I learned how to manage my time really well. With having 100 staff and 8 restaurants I had to be on top of every issue that came up. I especially learned how to relate to people. Whether they be my employees or customers, they really became part of my week. Each and everyone one of the mattered to me and the business in a big way.

My co-workers. Being the District General Manager my co-workers were always helpful. I built relationships with others where we helped each other out and knew that there was support around us.

The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7. The feeling of never being able to relax because at any point that phone could ring and you would have to run back into work due to a robbery, or an employee having a health issue or even cars going into my restaurants. You just could never really relax.

The most enjoyable part of the job was all the relationships I built with the employees, owners, customers and head quarters evaluators. I loved seeing the employees succeed and move up in the company. I was so proud of them for being able to achieve higher goals and see them make it there.
Pros
Free food, flexible schedule
Cons
On call 24/7
Busy and fun with excellent management.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 3, 2016
Great people and a very busy and fun atmosphere. I appreciate the free sandwich every shift. There is a lot of variety of tasks. The hours were quite flexible and it is a great job for a university student. The Christmas party was really impressive. The manager is very organized and understanding and created a fun atmosphere.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible hours, great people
Cons
min wage, standing for hours
Hard to maintain interest as the hours were irregular and unpredictable as to when you would be working on a weekly basis
Sandwich maker (Former Employee) –  Radium, BCMay 2, 2016
It was a disorganized operation that relied on family help. The hours were sporadic and unpredictable for the most part. It was a very busy place so the work day passed by quickly. If you were an efficient worked it was okay to work there.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Irregular hours
first job with export house made more challenges in career.
Sandwich Artist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 2, 2016
started as a junior Merchandiser .with in two years got promotion and became Merchandiser(Fashion Coordinator).Learnt costings, communication,fabric trims ordering,negotiations with suppliers,sample submissions,TNA making,getting orders,Meeting production samples.Co-workers were really helpfull,Hardest part of job was late timings.
it was a good beginner job
Customer service reapresentative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 2, 2016
working at subway was a good beginner job .there were no benefits long hours with minimal breaks .best part of my job was getting to interact with the customers and my co -workers .Management was iffy .manager never listened to employees and what hours they could work always did what was beneficial to her and assistant manager.
Pros
great way to get experience, made new friends and learned how to interact with customer from all different walks of life
Cons
long hours not many breaks and no free food
productive and fun work place
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 1, 2016
Good place to work for. Provides great learing opportunity. Helps to develop individual skillset. Lets employees interact to clinets which helps to develop language skills as well.
Pros
Free lunch/dinner.
Very stressful
Sandwhich artist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 30, 2016
The relationship between different co-workers are very bad and management can't really do anything about it. Management can not fire the ones that are making trouble for other employees and overall it's so bad.
Pros
Free sub
Cons
We have no time to rest
Stressful and busy.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Dresden, ONApril 30, 2016
Made sandwiches. Preperation. Cleaning. Cash.
I learned the basics.
Co workers were fun.
Hardest part was the fast pace and expecting to know everything after only doing it one time.
Most enjoyable part was just having something to do.
Pros
free fountain drinks.
Cons
stressful. barely any training.
Taking personal responsibility and being positive in work field is crucial.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2016
Working at a job, of course, does require one to complete the necessary tasks related to one's job, but personally taking responsibility for one's work and have a positive attitude towards the team members not only increases the pleasantness in working environment it also creates a friendly environment guests and customers. One of my memory in working at a fast food restaurant (Subway) is that of my colleague's attitude towards late arrival customers. One evening when we were supposed to close the store at 6:00 P.M, but a customer arrived at 5.45 p.m, I saw the customer (an elderly lady) approaching towards the store and I also noticed that my colleague saw the customer approaching towards us. I was safe-dropping the cash so my colleague had no choice but to serve her. Story short, my colleague did not welcome her properly, in fact my colleague told the customer we were out of bread (which we clearly were not) so the customer ordered a salad instead. As my colleague was making the customer's salad I paid attention that my colleague lacked a positive attitude, instead she was rude to the customer. Finally, the customer reached me (the cashier) but just before that she asked my colleague that she wanted some cookies also to which my colleague said we don't have any cookies (we had cookies. We had everything that a customer wanted). My colleague was not only senior in age to me she was senior in experience also which left me no choice but remaining patient till the customer would have arrived to me to make her payment. When the customer reached me, I looked her in the eye and I  more... told her that I was sorry for the cold welcome she received one of us. I found her the cookies she wanted and I also gave her some discount. I am not sure if I had made the customer happy by telling her that I was sorry and that she deserved a warm welcome, but she had filed a compliant against my colleague the very same evening when she had left the store. The next day my boss asked me about the truth of this event and I objectively described what I had witnessed.  less
Pros
Great boss
Cons
less tidy store
fun to work with employees
Owner and Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
work is always busy but I enjoy that. Lots of management required from the headquarters because no promotions made it harder to sell but my customer service allowed for higher sales.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad pay
productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 27, 2016
I am not sure subway is a big brand and the store i worked was quite decent and i enjoyed working there. good luck to everyone for finding a good job.
Good co-workers, grueling job
Sandwich Artist® (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Tight hours without too much leeway unless a lot of seniority, a lot of things to be done against clock that depends on customers. I was the closer, so a lot of this depends on evening workers, which were nice to work with, but slack off. There are no assistant managers, manager only highers for frontline service position and pay. No benefits. Hard to balance demand of shifts with school due to turnover rate of fellow co-workers,
Pros
Spare time at end during slow days
Cons
Late customers and those that are rude or order for groups
A nice working environment but there is no chance for individuals to be productive.
Food Counter Attendant/ Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Estevan, SKApril 27, 2016
Great company to work for the beginners, Happy to see customers satisfied with what you did. No matter how you work hard for the company there is no compliments and considerations from the owner.
Pros
Paid breaktime and free meal
Cons
No fixed shift
Fun
Excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONApril 27, 2016
I really enjoyed working here, overall it was a great experience, great coworkers, i had a great boss, and all the customers were really friendly and always tipped! i loved it and miss working there
Pros
Fun
Cons
No benefits
Fun Workplace, The Owner and People are good.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 26, 2016
Prepare all the product to be sell for the whole day. Interact and get along with your colleague. Provide the good service and give the customer's delightful experience.
Pros
Free Launches
Subway overall job summary
Sandwich Artist/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONApril 25, 2016
I learned and grew a lot over the year at subway.
I was responsible for opening the store, as well as closing the store on nights (key holder).
I enjoyed having that responsibility, as well as hours.

What I liked about my job was having many, many regulars come in all the time. It gave me a sense of improvement, always.

Learning new skills and helping is my favourite part about any job.
Pros
Gaining Further Employment and skills with the company
Cons
min. wage
fun workspace
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2016
learning about the people and memorizing their orders to get through things faster and the co workers are great, training was great, managers were fun and helpful at times
Pros
free lunch
Cons
couldn't get more shifts
Great experience of multitasking
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 23, 2016
Committed to proving the best food and overall experience to our customers, Subway provided a whole new range of experience for me. A typical day involved preparing food for the day, and cleaning the restaurant and serving food to the customers with a smile, often engaging them in a conversation about the new Star Wars movie or a Jets game. The management was very supportive and there was a constant feedback which helped me improve very quickly. The co-workers were full of friendly advices about everything and often helped me understand things that were new to me. The hardest part of the job was multitasking everything when alone in the restaurant and serve the customers as quickly as possible without seeming to hurry and be fully engaged to serve one person at a time when there was a line. However, I learned to be efficient and composed very quickly, and was appreciated by the regulars who would often continue our conversations whenever they drop by. The most enjoyable park was meeting so many amazing people from different walks of life and talk about things we both love, be it food, hockey, movies or an unusually good weather outside.
Pros
Meeting amazing co-workers and customers, and being able to bring a smile to their faces.
Cons
Not getting as many hours of work as I wanted.
Bad Management, Lack of help
Sub Artist (Former Employee) –  Shediac, NBApril 23, 2016
Working there from the beginning I was left alone, and had to learn everything on my own, the manager and other workers acted like they had other places to be and this was daily, most of the time you were left to wait on customers by yourself and had lack of help from your ''coworkers''. So many people come and go so you see new faces every week to work with.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a free sub and taking a break from doing everything feeling exhausted.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Management, No help, Being left alone for hours, Lack of communication