Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,270 reviews matching the search
Excellent franchise
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONJune 8, 2016
I operated Subway franchise for over 20 years, it is rewarding to own your business, I manage and work with wonderful people. I interact with other franchisee, attended seminar with head office, and earned experience in business operation and management that I will carry with me forever
Pros
nice to be your own boss
Cons
you are always on call
cooperative and friendly
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 8, 2016
i am a hardworking person.
has a good grasping ability.
love to make friends with co-workers.
i love working at pressure
Pros
friendly
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 7, 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
So fun and a nice place to work
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NSJune 6, 2016
In a typical day I was constantly making subs and interacting with customers, restocking supplies, and doing the required cleaning. There wasn't a lot of time for a break. Management was wonderful to me and my co-workers were like family. The hardest part of the job was dealing with my tendinitis, but I enjoyed working there every day.
Pros
Free subs
Cons
Lobster season
Fun workplace but the lack of organization within the management made the workplace unpleasant at times.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Alfred, ON and then Gloucester, ONJune 4, 2016
Every day was pretty much the same thing. When an employee comes in, he or she has to make sure everything is filled up and clean and check what needs to be done in terms of food preparation and cleaning. After the employee has made sure that they had enough food, they would start cleaning the store in between serving the customers.
With these types of jobs, one learns to deal with the public effectively and with a pleasant attitude. For example, you cannot serve the customer with a bad attitude, even if something is troubling you. The customer has nothing to do with your personal life, and he deserves to be treated as a customer, and not an emotional punching bag, so to speak.
The family spirit is usually quite present with these types of environments. Constantly working as a team makes one value the help of his peers. Since Subway is a sandwich shop, the customers, like with any other store that is in the food industry, can be easily irritated and/or difficult at times. Of course, it doesn't happen often but sometimes it can get irritating to get treated poorly just because that customer has a lot on his mind. It's nothing an employee can't deal with, but it is always nice to serve people that have big smiles and appreciate your work. With that being said, I would say helping people that have a good attitude and are grateful for your work is the best part of this job. I enjoy helping people and have no problem dealing with picky customers. When those customers warn you before that they are going to be difficult and express their appreciation after you've helped them, that
  more... gives me a sens a gratification. I enjoy helping people and I had the opportunity to do so everyday with this job.  less
Pros
Helping people and the social aspect of work.
Cons
Dealing with angry customers, especially when there's nothing I can do about their complaint.(for example, the price of a sandwich)
Unrewarding
Sandwich Artist (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, ABJune 3, 2016
- Hard company to work for.
- Never recognized as a valued employee.
- My coworkers were great for the most part. As with every job there were hard days.
- Hardest part of the job was being told I was never doing good enough. Never getting a raise after the years I was there. I worked there for many years on and off.
- I loved talking with the customers and coworkers that I worked with. Developing the relationship I had with everyone was amazing.
Pros
coworkers, customers
Cons
no raises, certain coworkers getting special treatment
Fun and friendly environment
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 2, 2016
I learned that its not easy to earn money. I also learned that customer satisfactions is the key part for a successful business. It feels like a group of individual working together to meet the goals of the business. The enjoyable part is when u get a tip from someone even though there was no tip box.
Pros
Free sub
Cons
late shift
Great place to gain customer service experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
I appreciated the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment where I could interact with new faces on a daily basis. I learned a lot about customer service skills and how to respond to difficult customers/situations. I also learned how to multi-task.The hardest part of the job was being the only employee in the store at times; it can be challenging to cover the positions of a sandwich maker and cashier when there are multiple customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the familiar faces of regular customers, and knowing exactly how to respond to their order of "the usual".
Pros
Flexible hours, long shifts
Cons
Being the only employee in the store for a couple of hours at night
Great Place To Work
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLJune 1, 2016
Fun job social and productive work place. I like giving good customer service. Fun and energetic environment. Got to work with great co-workers
Fun workplace with great location.
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 31, 2016
Turns out to be good opportunity to learn and build skills like team spirit, leadership and customer service. Cooperating co-workers and supervisors.
Sandwich artist
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
Excellent customer service
Maintain open lines of communication with team members
Complete sales transactions
Managed a recruitment/selection process for employees
Key holder
Busy place
Sandwich artist and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Finch ave EMay 31, 2016
Subway is easy place to work but very busy at same time. Less food preparation and very fast paced. Interaction is quite less but frequent. Its tricky to minimize and handle errors due to high volume of customers.
Pros
tips
Cons
too tiring in lunch hours
good place to work i'd say but no growth seen
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
i worked at the airport subway mostly night shifts so not that hard but i mostly pilots and cabin crew coming for a sandwich so was all right the staff was good but the hardest part was the commissary early morning and i'd say the break part was fun
Good fast paced work environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Killam, ABMay 30, 2016
Typical day:
- Arrive at work, sign onto shift, inspect uniform
-Food preparation
-Stock fridge unit
-prep sandwiches
-Stock chip rack
-Daily cleaning list
-Clean floors, tables, and bathrooms.

My coworkers were super supportive.
Pros
Free 6" Sub
Cons
Long periods of sandwich prep without breaks.
food service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, ONMay 30, 2016
• Greet customers, take their order, and process transactions as a cashier using cash, debit, and credit
• The ability to effectively communicate and serve customers in a timely manner
• Reduces food waste through tracking average daily sales of food, drinks and cookies.
• Cleans and maintains all areas of the restaurant to promote a clean image
• Prepares sandwiches neatly accordingly to formula and in quick and timely manner
• Computer skills: MS office, internet and email applications
• Strong customer service skills, with the ability to diffuse difficult situations, Positive, highly disciplined, and hardworking
• Outgoing, friendly and cheerful Subway Sandwich Artist knows that customers make the business, believes in delivering high-quality sandwiches and cookies every time.
Awful
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 27, 2016
Awful place to work for. Expected to close after only 2 training shifts by myself, illegally since I was only 17. Management was very unprofessional, I called to tell her that I was not comfortable closing alone since it was against the Canada/Manitoba labor laws & she hung up on me & never answered any of my calls again.
Pros
Free subs, cookies, soup, & drinks
Cons
Awful management
Fun Place to Work
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 25, 2016
It's always a joy to go to work! The owners are great and the work is super easy to follow! Took me less than a few weeks to get a flow of things, now I'm extremely confident in my work!
Pros
free lunch, flexible hours
subway provide healthy food .
team member (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 25, 2016
it was my first work experience in Canada and i have learned a lot through this job about how to get interact with different kind of people .overall , it was a great experience.
good job
Sadwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCMay 24, 2016
easy job always something to do, customer's are friendly, management was awesome with schedules and time off and decent hours. always had the right supplies for the job.
Pros
free lunch
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hull, QCMay 23, 2016
I worked there for 6 years , fun workplace , co workers became family , i sometimes miss it!
Being assistant manager gave me a lot of responsibilities , i really enjoyed it.

2.8