Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and cooperative work place with flexible schedules
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Discount employee meals, flexible schedules
Cons: opening
My manager is very flexible and co-operative in scheduling and managing the time of Subway and the employees. I am never forced to take up a shift which is difficult for me to do for example when I have school or any plans. My co-workers are also very helpful and I enjoy working with them as they are very friendly and great to have chat with during break time. There's nothing really hard about the job, it is just multiple tasks but very simple and enjoyable.
Fun workplace with friendly co workers
Cashier/Customer Service/Line Cook (Current Employee), Carman, MBAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, friendly people
Cons: No room for advancement
Everyday while Working at Subway I will bake bread and make sandwiches for customers. I will work with my co workers to get through the lunch rush the happens everyday. The lunch rush is when a lot of customers come during lunch for sandwiches and we make subs for an hour or two.
I have learned that I can be a very social person who can get along with almost anybody.
The management at Subway was great! I got along with them well and even socialized outside of work.
My co workers were very friendly and there wasn't one person that I didn't like. We always had a fun time while working and met up after work as well.
The lunch rush was the hardest part of my job
I had the most fun preparing the meats and vegetables before lunch because i always had a good time with my co workers.
productive and fun workplace
store manager (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONJuly 30, 2015
Pros: free lunch, Christmas bonus excellence gifts
Cons: low salary
I learned a lot at this Job like how to solve customer complaints, managing&motivating employees at busy hours. delivery days are the typical days for me.
Great experience
Commis, caissier (Former Employee), Montréal, QCApril 20, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Very demanding
The only reason I quit that part-time job was because I found a slightly better one. Working there was one of my best experiences so far. The management wasn't great at times since the owner changed and acquired more restaurants during the 2 years I was there. When they set up new rules and really planned to change the way the restaurants were run, the management was great, overall they took care of their employees.
New co-workers were hard to handle sometimes since most had never worked there, but they got the hang of it quickly.
I had fun training new employees in different places for a few months.
I learned to deal with people while I worked at Subway. I learned not to let people get to you when you work personally with customers.
For my second year at Subway I worked mostly alone during the weekend so it was fun having to manage the place alone. I learned to organise myself according to my customers needs and to manage my time when no one is there to watch over you.
Learnt good communication skills
CASHIER (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCNovember 4, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
One day one customer was not happy with my services and on that day I felt really bad because this happened with me first time that someone was so rude to me, I was smiling with her though. But next day she came and apologise to me that she was angry with me because she was irritated from her own job. On that day I realised that sometimes people are not bad the circumstances are bad so we should be always poliet and humble to everyone.
The most enjoyable part was talking to people at work, they taught me really good lessons.
Sandwich artist: includes all the preparations
Team member (Former Employee), Red Lake, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Free sandwhich
Cons: Not enough hours
Subway included a lot of time slicing and preparing all of the veggies, meats, sauces, bread and cookies. I learned to be accountable to all of the food safety measures and to all of the wishes of the costumer, because the meal was prepared in front of the costumer. There was a great team spirit, because all of the tasks were divided into stations and each station had a different employee. The hardest part was not always having the desired ingredients that the costumer wanted. The most enjoyable part was all of our regular costumers and getting to know them.
great work place!
Assistant Manager/Sandwhich Artist (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONOctober 30, 2015
Pros: getting to work around and with people
Cons: poorly trained staff
i have been working here for about a year and a half now. A typical day at subway is once you've signed in and are in full uniform you always make sure your front is stocked up and clean and bread is ready for the arrival of lunch or dinner time. I learned how to better myself around people and how to properly work as a team with the other staff. Management was alright, it could have been better. Some of my co-workers took advantage of how nice management was and made their own rules but other then that they were fantastic people to work with and get to know outside of the work place. The hardest part of my job was when it got busy and you were under staffed always having to apologize to the customers for their wait times and having to make 20-50 subs in an hour without stopping. The most enjoyable part of this job was the outcome of how great working as a team really is.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Brooks, ABMarch 18, 2016
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not enough hours
management gives shifts to people who waste their money on drinking and partying when they should be giving them to people who need the shifts and are using their money for productive things like rent and bills.
working at Subway is a good experience
Sandwich Artist (Teem Member) (Current Employee), Lambeth, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoy working at Subway. its everyday a new experience, meeting new different people and some old people . I always try to do the best towards the customers and in the store related stuff like preparation the food , quantity and quality according to the need.I try to take care all the aspects in the job like focusing on good customer service, cleaning, time management etc.
subway
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Gibbons, ABJune 16, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short hours
the management is really bad i haven't gotten a raise in 3 months the employees are hard to work with but it is allright place the hours were great the food were awsome
clean, and productive work environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Belleville, ONJuly 20, 2015
Pros: full time hours
Cons: no benefits
Subway is filled with dedicated employees, servicing customers and providing them with high quality product based on their requirements.
Poor management at my location
Food Handler (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 19, 2016
My co-workers were very friendly and easy to get along with, and made my time at Subway somewhat enjoyable. The management on the other hand was almost non-existent in the fact that the head manager didn't interfere in inappropriate assistant manager behavior, causing the employees to have to perform extra duties they are not responsible for. Other poor management, the store was well cleaned and well maintained.
I loved working for subway until there was a change in management at my location
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 21, 2016
Pros: Amazing hours great staff decent pay
Cons: Besides my one run in with my manager that forced me to quit i found no cons with working for subway
My experience as a employee for subway was amazing I loved my job and all the people I worked with were amazing until our location had a change in manager..and I left do to not being allowed to tend to a family emergency without a threat of my pay being held and loss of job I would without a second thought take another position as a closed for subway any day
Bad Management, Lack of help
Sub Artist (Former Employee), Shediac, NBApril 23, 2016
Pros: Free food
Cons: Management, No help, Being left alone for hours, Lack of communication
Working there from the beginning I was left alone, and had to learn everything on my own, the manager and other workers acted like they had other places to be and this was daily, most of the time you were left to wait on customers by yourself and had lack of help from your ''coworkers''. So many people come and go so you see new faces every week to work with.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a free sub and taking a break from doing everything feeling exhausted.
A Wonderful and Caring Environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2015
Subway was my first job when I was thirteen, and it helped me not only grow as an individual, but as a dedicated employee as well.
I stayed with Subway for seven years and I do not regret it one bit. It was a very friendly and heart-warming place to be, and I was always happy to be at work. I made some great friends along the way, as well as gained the skills I will need to further me in my future career.
Subway
Closer, Crew trainer, key holder (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 15, 2015
Pros: Family enviroment, Free Food
Cons: no advancement
After a year and a half at working at subway my coworkers have become a family. Together we form a great welcoming environment. I enjoy my job as i am able to do many different things. I can serve customers, handle cash, food prep, clean and much more. Although I enjoy my job there is no opportunity for advancement. Through out my time at Subway I have learnt and developed skills to provide fast and efficient service to not only my customers but myself and my coworkers.
Good co-workers, grueling job
Sandwich Artist® (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: Spare time at end during slow days
Cons: Late customers and those that are rude or order for groups
Tight hours without too much leeway unless a lot of seniority, a lot of things to be done against clock that depends on customers. I was the closer, so a lot of this depends on evening workers, which were nice to work with, but slack off. There are no assistant managers, manager only highers for frontline service position and pay. No benefits. Hard to balance demand of shifts with school due to turnover rate of fellow co-workers,
Productive and fun workplace!
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Barrie, ONDecember 6, 2015
Pros: Got to work with amazing people
Cons: Long hours and alot of busy days
I loved serving the costumers and making them happy. Making lunches for all the school kids was great as well, Catering with Subway is such a great idea and really keeps the kids and parents happy. I had wonderful managers with a great hard working team, i really loved this place and enjoyed the atmosphere.
A productive and enjoyable day
Team Leader (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Reasonable hours
Cons: low staff
Since I work on weekends now, my days are crazy! We are all running and working extremely hard to make sure the job gets done properly. We all work together and in an orderly fashion to make sure nothing gets all messed up and everything is organized. We all know how crazy our days can get and what to expect, so we always work in ways which will make it easier for everything to be done. But, at the end of the day its all worth it, because we al work together and its not like one person is doing everything.
Productive and an open place with amazing people.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Lively, ONApril 12, 2016
Typical day included cleaning, washing vegetables, doing dishes,etc. I was always learning new ways to stock the place and make things better for our customers, our management was great and I loved working for them. Also, all my co-workers where always right there if you needed help and they didn't hesitate to help you, but the hardest part is that at night you would get scared of the people because the place is beside a bar. Other then that, I always loved going to work because of the people.
Headquarters