Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,631 reviews matching the search
Terrible
Sandwich Artist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2017
I don't wanna recommend this company, terrible rate at 10/hour, no benefits, terrible schedule for the staff like very short noticed.Sorry, but poor management indeed.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Terrible schedule, the lowest rate among food industries.
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB7 June 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
Make sandwiches and interact with people who want to buy food.
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  St.-Lazare, QC26 September 2016
Typical day at work would consist of cleaning the store, preparing food for the days work and making sandwiches for people wanting to buy Subway, Co-workers were high school students like me at the time. the job was engaging, not a lot of downtime and generally fun. management was nice and very sympathetic to personal needs and basic human needs.
Pros
discounted food for employees
Cons
long hours on your feet sometimes
A Good start
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 February 2017
I believe Subway like Mcdonalds is a establishment that targets its employment towards the youth, I believe that they are excellent in providing the basics of what a job is, it also teaches great lessons like money management and customer service, which is huge in most fields, Subway provides a good foundation for beginners starting in the work force or kids who are attending school, it is not a high stressed job and it allows for employees to develop skills for the future.
Pros
Learning Experience while earning a wage
Cons
Depending on locations Management can be terrible.
Working at subway
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
I like working at subway. It has a great work culture. The cleanliness and customer service here in unmatched compared to any other restaurants I have work for. The staff is very helpful and kind and management is also great.
Pros
Free food.
Fun workplace
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
- I open five days a week from Monday to Friday. I usually arrive work at 5:30am and I start preparing everything for lunch, it is usually busy.
- I learned how to establish a good working relationship with customers, communicate with customers, to be responsible during work, and to be organized and on time for everything.
- I work with my manager everyday, it is very fun to work with her, we do everything as a team work.
- The hardest part of working in subway is doing everything by myself, I come in the morning and start cutting vegetables, preparing meat, baking bread, changing all the containers, and cleaning.
- the most enjoyable part of subway is to interact with different customers, making customers happy with my service; that is our restaurant goal.
Pros
Polite manager, fun to work with my coworkers
Cons
No increasing salary, no benifit
Decent Entry Job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 February 2017
Its a good place to start working. The tasks are simple enough that it gives you confidence and an understanding of working with others, for others. It's a lot of fun when you have a good team to work with and things go by very quick and smoothly when lunch times hits. I would say that some management could use some tweaking. The hardest part of the job I would say is not having a designated lunch break at all. Best part, working in a team and when regular customers would come in.
Pros
Free 6in Sub
Cons
No lunch breaks, Low wage
subway
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 February 2017
not a bad place to work. fast paced. friendly managers and co-workers. I would recommend this for a first time job. there is not too much room for pay raise. but it is a stead income.
very good
Manager (Current Employee) –  quinte west1 February 2017
I open the store and count the inventory as well as cash. Baking of the bread and cookies are next as well as preperation of meat and vegetables for the daily anticapated sales. I tend to customers needs and all day preparing sandwiches to their liking. The closing at night I clean the entire store and close the days business while depositing the cash for the day. On Tuesday I do an inventory of the entire store, order inwentory for the next weeks business and also have to do the payroll for the week.
Pros
make my own schedule
Cons
very long hours
Hectic, un-organized, and mis-managed
sandwhich artist (Former Employee) –  Eastern Passage, NS15 July 2016
While working here, i had long hours by myself at night, with next to no security system in the building. Co-workers were nice and helpful, very much team-players, but were all of similar opinions for the work environment. very un-organized and hectic shifts, as often times you would be left by yourself to serve all customers on a busy closing shift, while being expected to clean the store and finish closing jobs by yourself before the end of your shift. management is also very passive aggressive, and lazy to address problems until last possible minute.
Pros
Free food, and flexible hours
Cons
uncaring management, un-steady hours, hectic and unorganized
Productive and good wprkplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 November 2016
Bake breads and cookies throughout the day.
Wash, peel and cut salads and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
Check food temperatures regularly to ensure safety standard requirements are meet.
Ensure customers’ orders are prepare correctly.
Assist customers with menu questions and concerns.
Handle cash, take phone calls and delivery of supplies.
Open and close store when required.
Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces and utensils.
Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
Coordinate with co- workers.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
I never really found true enjoyment
Sandwich artist, Dishwasher, and Janitor (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2017
During the beginning of my time at Subway, it went pretty well, mainly because I had good colleagues to work with, but as time went on, many of those people left the establishment, leaving it with an empty feeling and a lot of boring, unenthusiastic people. I have also had other friends who have worked at Subway, and they expressed they same feelings that I have.
Pros
Free sub every shift
Cons
Bad hours, pay is low, no benifits
productive and fun workplace
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 October 2016
a typical day at work consists of washing dishes, cleaning the oven, sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, taking out garbage and recycling, preparing food, taking customers, cashier, counting inventory and making bread.
i learned time managment while balancing school and working this job. i learned a good work ethic i help out with more than asked for and stay late at work when needed i work hard for the money i get paid. the most enjoyble part of the job is cooking the food and socializing with different customers. my co-workers have taught me team work and sharing the tasks equally.
Pros
flexible
Cons
short shifts
Productive workplace, with occasional fun.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Subway Greenbank19 August 2016
A Subways success is determined by the management team, and how the employees are shaped, trained, and taught to perfect subway standard. i learned to do cleaning, and food preparation tasks, to subway standard in a timely manner. Co-workers are always communicating to get closing procedures done, or shortening long lines.
Pros
50% off all food, free fountain drinks
Cons
managing customer and making sure customers are happy and no complains or customer is dissatisfy
Canada as Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 March 2017
Managing the store inventory, Managing the cash till, Making team understand and encourage to make customer service excellent. looking for required employee, coordinating and conducting interviews. Training team on any new updates as well training the new hired.
Pros
free lunch, flexibility to work
loved to work in a team
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 July 2016
loved working at subway. i learned so many things from here so everything good co workers were nice. i worked full time and part-time there. also had a great time with team and management. I worked the night shifts too so we always were busy but loved the people coming in and the smiling conversations we had. Learning baking and a bit more.
- Free food if you worked 5 hrs or more per shift
- Not as hectic
- Very consistent work per shift
- Lots to do, time goes by fast
Pros
free sandwich when working
Cons
long hours with little breaks
Very fun place
Cashier/over night (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON6 March 2017
Work place was safe and fun,Trained on cash and how to keep the work place safe for everyone. The management was good and very understanding and willing to help when needed. My favorite part about the job was being able to meet new people and be able to put a smile on their faces.
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
non
it was interesting
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, AB14 January 2017
In my opinion working at Subway was great at first because the owner was awesome to work for but after he sold the business my work place was ok but no great. I left for personal reasons. Working at Tim Horton's was a good job as well I left because I was pregnant. And as for the rest of my jobs I did my best in working there.
Pros
free meal staff was fun to work with
Cons
not enough days off and long hours
Consistent working environment with great staff
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 February 2017
I enjoy working at Subway, though because I've worked here for quite a bit of time, I feel it is time to gain more working experience with other companies. The staff are great and very productive and we always complete our tasks together.
Pros
free lunches, is sometimes not busy
Cons
from time to time long hours, many tasks that need to be done
it was a good beginner job
Customer service reapresentative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 May 2016
working at subway was a good beginner job .there were no benefits long hours with minimal breaks .best part of my job was getting to interact with the customers and my co -workers .Management was iffy .manager never listened to employees and what hours they could work always did what was beneficial to her and assistant manager.
Pros
great way to get experience, made new friends and learned how to interact with customer from all different walks of life
Cons
long hours not many breaks and no free food

2.8