Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,296 reviews matching the search
Great place to gain customer service experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
I appreciated the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment where I could interact with new faces on a daily basis. I learned a lot about customer service skills and how to respond to difficult customers/situations. I also learned how to multi-task.The hardest part of the job was being the only employee in the store at times; it can be challenging to cover the positions of a sandwich maker and cashier when there are multiple customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the familiar faces of regular customers, and knowing exactly how to respond to their order of "the usual".
Pros
Flexible hours, long shifts
Cons
Being the only employee in the store for a couple of hours at night
Made lot of corporate clients, Independent and Challenging
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
Things What I Learned

Time Management is one man element at work. Being Punctual at work will not only looks professional also gain respects from Team and managers.

Multi -tasking is very important thing that i have learned one hand think about the business, other hand receive customer and understand theirs needs, ready to involve any work beyond if it is needed. Focusing on primary job which am doing and side by side plan and organize things which is yet to finish.

Learned about debit and credit cards processing various other cards which are related to finance , and cash receipts. ability to handle cash and cheques and other office work related to paying bills and receiving income
Pros
Responsible in dealing CASH
Cons
perfection
enjoyable work environment,learnt customer service skills, flexible work schedule,
FOOD SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 18, 2016
i have gained my customer service skills as well as communication skills. I also learnt how to handle difficult situations with calm mind such as an angry customer or work load.My experience with co-workers and management was great . All co-workers were very helpful and always there to help each other out in tough timeThe hardest part of the job was to order supplies according to the demand but it is hard to estimate demand of food because the number changes every week.the most enjoyable part was interacting with people from different backgrounds and learning and speaking new languages with people.
Pros
free lunch, free movie and game tickets, free transportation passes
Cons
long schedule hours
Enjoyable, fast paced environment
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSJune 17, 2016
Duties at this job is the same as other fast food place expectations. Worked in fast paced enviorment, clean utilities Greeted and assisted customers creating a welcoming/friendly environment.
Received customers orders,prepared food/beverages according to specifications. Operated cash register; accepted/processed payments via cash and debit/credit transactions.Disinfected and sanitized kitchen work stations, public areas and washrooms
Ensured all food products were fresh and ready to serve and Prepared serving stations and replenished product. I am a team player, and am able to complete task with coworkers or independently.
Hectic environment, difficult first job, but taught me what work is like.
Recruit (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
Basically I'd ride the train early morning (around 7), get off and get some breakfast, then wait until my shift came. I'd work from late mornings doing mostly cleaning and food prep until the lunch where I was on dishwashing duty. I learned how to adapt to a busy environment and the appropriate behavior to adopt for customer satisfaction. The management was nice, but informal while the co-workers were very nice and taught me basically everything with lots of patience. The hardest part of the job was having to clean the bathrooms because I found it gross, but I still went through with it nonetheless. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people, whether fellow employees or customers, and interacting with them and making them happy.
Pros
Nice employees, free sandwiches
Cons
Hard work (chemicals in dishwater), cleaning filthy environment.
High productivity establishment with a fun workplace environment
Food service and cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONJuly 9, 2016
This subway location was located in a town of 20 000 people (barely any) yet with our team we managed to maintain the position of being rated in the top three subway locations in Ontario for a duration of time, as I no longer live there I am unsure as to its current success rates. Subway offered some of the best training in the fast food industry teaching each employee to handle any task such as cashier baker or food service employee, this was done with the intent to ensure a fully functioning operation with little chance for error.
Pros
free lunch each shift
sometimes productive but very little communication
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2016
i learned to never rely on other people to do the work. Doing it yourself saves you from a lot of stress even though it wasn't your work to do. management was great at first until my pay checks were weeks late and i would constantly have to ask when it was coming in , My co-workers were fine sometimes we had language barriers but that didn't stop them from working. The hardest part of the job was closing the store every Saturday, trying to keep everything clean like it was never used. the most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships i had with regular customers that would come in often.
Pros
Free Sandwiches
Cons
you dont get paid on time
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 7, 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
was fun to work for the company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 20, 2016
I worked all shifts . Nights you had to do all the prep for the next day you also had to bake bread ,cookies ,put the delivery away. Days you had to bake bread ,cookies make sure the line is full and have enough prep till the next shift comes in, clean the dining room. afternoon. make sure that the inventory is done and the orders are done for the delivery as well as sever customers .

the hardest part of the job was you were working by yourself so if u had to go to the bathroom u had to lock the door or take the chance in between customers
Pros
free food
Cons
working by yourself
working at Subway is a good experience
Sandwich Artist (Teem Member) (Current Employee) –  Lambeth, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoy working at Subway. its everyday a new experience, meeting new different people and some old people . I always try to do the best towards the customers and in the store related stuff like preparation the food , quantity and quality according to the need.I try to take care all the aspects in the job like focusing on good customer service, cleaning, time management etc.
Subway
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 11, 2016
A day of work at subway typically consisted of preparing the food (veggies, meats, sauces, bread, etc.) throughout the day for consumption. Also cleaning the restaurant including bathrooms, lobby, seating area, staff areas.
This was my first job, therefore I learnt the skills and persona which was needed of a person in a social workplace environment.
The management at this location was good, and I would not have any complaints. My co-workers were all very unique characters with their own set of skills being brought to the workplace.
The hardest part of this job would be the low number of hours I received due to school, sports, and hour cuts from the bosses.
I very much enjoyed the social part of this job. I love being able to communicate one on one with customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unpleasant customers
Great Work Experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 3, 2016
working at subway I deal with a lot of customers and that requires a lot of communication and patients, I have learned how to interact with customers, how to keep them happy so they return to our store, and how to handle difficult situations. I am very energetic and enthusiastic, always smiling no matter how the person on the other side of the counter is. The hardest part would be to deal with unhappy customers but even that can be overcome. what I enjoy most about working at subway is that all of my coworkers are friendly and I am great at what I do.
Great Employer!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONMarch 29, 2016
A great store, the staff I have had are all talented, dedicated people and though I am ready for a new challenge, I will miss each of them.
Pros
The team is amazing!
Cons
Not enough hours available to support the franchisee's management decisions
fast past, fun to work, great team
Sandwich artist (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ONMay 11, 2016
Typical day, go in and get ready with team members for diner rush, clean organize,
i have learned how to work as a team to make serving customers easy and as efficient as possible.
management is good, easy to work with and talk to
hardest part is working alone when its busy, after a certain time i am the only person working and when its busy it can get overwhelming. But i have been able to handle it and found ways to make it easier.
Most enjoyable part is knowing that i made a good meal for the customers and they are happy with the service i and the team gave them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
working alone can be stressful
Easy and productive place to work in.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 15, 2016
I have learned many things while working in subway. I learned about hygiene, good customer service, management control, store self-control, light paper works, sandwich making, cash control.
my co-workers were all good. My owner was nice as well. The most enjoyable part of working in subway is working with fellow members. There is no any hardest job that i found in this job but when it got extremely busy and i worked alone, it was terrible feeling but manageable like at the time of PNE.
Pros
free sandwich
Cons
working alone
Fun workplace with friendly co workers
Cashier/Customer Service/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Carman, MBAugust 24, 2015
Everyday while Working at Subway I will bake bread and make sandwiches for customers. I will work with my co workers to get through the lunch rush the happens everyday. The lunch rush is when a lot of customers come during lunch for sandwiches and we make subs for an hour or two.
I have learned that I can be a very social person who can get along with almost anybody.
The management at Subway was great! I got along with them well and even socialized outside of work.
My co workers were very friendly and there wasn't one person that I didn't like. We always had a fun time while working and met up after work as well.
The lunch rush was the hardest part of my job
I had the most fun preparing the meats and vegetables before lunch because i always had a good time with my co workers.
Pros
Free lunch, friendly people
Cons
No room for advancement
Allowed me to expand my skills while enjoying the workplace.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 13, 2016
On a daily basis, I do all the prep work that is required. I prepare sandwiches for customers. Also, I make schedules, put out the delivery order, send reports to Head Office. I ensure the store is running smoothly and nothing is lacking. I often deal with complaints and solve any issue using interpersonal skills. I train all new workers and maintain positive relationships with my coworkers. Working for Subway for all these years allowed me to manage my time well, be responsible and patient.
Subway was one of the easiest going jobs
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls, NBJanuary 9, 2016
I will begin with the easiest part of the job which was the clean-up. I work best in my own personal environment therefore during the clean-up I was mostly on my own which I liked a lot. It was fast paced and time would pass quickly. I learned how to work a cash register, how to work well with others and how fun it can be to work with the public. Management at Subway was awesome and every employee was treated fairly and equally
My typical day at work was fast paced and productive. I always made sure I went above and beyond to have a job that was well done . The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiling faces of children who were so excited to be eating out with their parents. While the hardest part of the job was in my personal opinion the fill-ups because often times the workers who had finished before me failed to do so and I would often run out of ingredients so eventually I learned to be able to evaluate my stock before hand. Though otherwise my co-workers were overall great and I really enjoyed working with all of them
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Never knowing an actual finishing hour
Great experience
Commis, caissier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 20, 2016
The only reason I quit that part-time job was because I found a slightly better one. Working there was one of my best experiences so far. The management wasn't great at times since the owner changed and acquired more restaurants during the 2 years I was there. When they set up new rules and really planned to change the way the restaurants were run, the management was great, overall they took care of their employees.
New co-workers were hard to handle sometimes since most had never worked there, but they got the hang of it quickly.
I had fun training new employees in different places for a few months.
I learned to deal with people while I worked at Subway. I learned not to let people get to you when you work personally with customers.
For my second year at Subway I worked mostly alone during the weekend so it was fun having to manage the place alone. I learned to organise myself according to my customers needs and to manage my time when no one is there to watch over you.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Very demanding
Productive and beneficial workplace,
Employee (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 20, 2016
I worked at subway for almost 2 years.It was great experience for me to deal with different type of customer.when i first started i loved this job, it was a good learning experience for people skills and customer service, i got along great with my managers i was one of the top shift leads beside my two managers, i always worked with a good crew, and the part i liked the most about working here was just getting to know all different kinds of people.
Pros
Great training, faced-paced, and energetic environment.
Cons
Always depends on the franchise, short breaks, no overtime

2.8