Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,297 reviews matching the search
fun work place great people
Senior Sandwich Artist/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Portage place mallMarch 1, 2016
When i worked for subway i enjoyed it very much i worked from 12pm or 1pm to 10:30pm closing time some times i would stay and finish things that needed to be done on my own time just so we could keep up the cleaning part of the store i trained new staff made bread cut veggys stocked shelves dated food products rotated stalk counted inventory and supervised night staff went to other subways if we ran out of products after making it ok with management i was lad off from this job though it happens i also liked the Walmart cards every year and pins i did not like the switching of managers 5 times since i was there i all so did not like that i only had a 5 cent raise for working 6 years and was on call 24hrs because there were only 2 openers for that store and i also did shift work and what we called clokens this is when you close the store and then open the store the next day you just learned to work with no sleep they also gave us Walmart cards and year pins.
Pros
The best thing with working at these kind of jobs was the free lunches or suppers
Cons
Shift work was hard but manageable
Challenging work environment.
Foodcounter Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High Level, ALBERTA, CANADAJanuary 10, 2016
Working with SUBWAY in Canada was indeed a challenging role. As Supervisor, working with variety of people was the greatest challenge I've overcome. Despite the differences in cultures and upbringing, it was awesome to know my team mates and it was fun to work with people of various cultures and traditions. It helped me a lot in establishing my managerial and supervising skills.
The management was awesome and my co-workers are fun to work with.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is during busy days when we have to double all our efforts to deliver with the demands of the customers while maintaining excellent customer service and maintain the product quality. It's the hardest but it was also the most enjoyable because that was when we were trained to be more productive and patient in dealing with people and ensuring our business' target.
Pros
free meals, regular appraisals, fast promotions
Cons
long winter days in CANADA.
good information about Subway Sandwiches
Sales Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
I experience very good time working every day, during time that I was working in Subway sandwich's, in lunch line up always 6 people was at front , with lot's of pressure and stress to serve the people in a best way, we should smile and be kind, gradually it got our habit, then job goes faster and easier and we had a more fun. with that attempt , our customer had been raised, and our store manager gave us wadge raise.
Pros
very good friendship
Cons
lot's of food smell in store
Productive and fast paced environment with great team players
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 16, 2016
Working at Subway really gave me the opportunity to grow in the customer service field as well as gain experience working in a fast paced environment. Almost like working on an assembly line, able to stand in one spot for long hours. Most of my shifts at Subway included me working 10 hour days, so it prepared me for jobs with long hours.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
not a long term career choice for me
Enhance my communications skills
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
-Expand my networking
- able to improve my communication skills because English is not my first language
opportunity to work with diverse employees
able to handle time management
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
long hours and sometimes working on holidays
First job. Helped develop customer service and learned more about having a job.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 3, 2016
This experience helped to develop my learning abilities in terms of: customer service, teamwork, organization, interpersonal skills with co-workers and staff, and scheduling. It provided me with an opportunity to take on challenges in a workplace setting, particularly in the area of customer and food servicing. I also developed an attitude to take on responsibilities and plan for my future, as this job helped in saving for university.
Pros
Free Lunches and had a great staff to bond with professionally.
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement
Easy, but stressful place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONMarch 8, 2016
It is an easy job that I believe anyone can do. However, there is no real training provided, only videos and quizzes that you complete on your own time. This job is very much a learn as you go kind of job. They are fatherly considerate when booking time off, but will not notify you when you are not going to get specific time off, nor are you notified always when you are to take a shift. The management is not always considerate of your wellbeing or other things that could be going on in your personal life. Over all, I would not recommend anyone to apply to this Subway.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Selfish manager
Great Job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
- Friendly staff always seeking to help each other go the extra mile in customer service.
- Learned countless amount of knowledge and experience. Gained a ton of Customer Service skills.
- Great management, very understanding and co-operative staff.
- The co-workers were great, everyone is very understanding and accepting.
- The hardest part of the job is that it gets really busy and also it is difficult to gain hours.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is that everyone works together and helps one another.
Pros
12" Sandwich per shift, Friendly staff
Cons
Very Busy, Short Hours.
Good workplace with great learning experiances
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 6, 2016
the usual day of work was fun and taught new things to do with the food industry. management and co-workers were very friendly and willing to help should there have been any questions. the hardest part of the job closer to closing time when there were no costumers and the store had been entirely cleaned as there would be nothing else to do.
Pros
free food, friendly people, accomodating, wonderful management
Cons
counters too low, got boring when there was no customers
Great Food services Company
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 13, 2016
Good teamwork, Great food and fresh things. great management and salary offering. Good time assignment, helpful training, Good course in University of Subway
productive, fun workplace 10/10
Cashier and "Sandwich Artist" (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABApril 2, 2016
a typical day at work was normally busy for the first little while then after the customers were gone repetitive cleaning.
i learned about food safety
management was great, probably best manager ive ever had
coworkers were ok attitude wise
hardest part of the job would be when people dont do what thier supposed to and you end up with more work
free food
Pros
Free footlong for 8 hour shift.
Cons
Repetitive, under staffed, vegetables were not always the freshest
Entry-level job teaches valuable skills but tests patience and effects morale
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Typical day includes preparing meats, and veggies, filling sauce containers, making soup, cookies, and bread, cleaning the store and other rooms (changing rooms, office, etc..), filling the chip rack, filling the fridge, keeping the walk-in cooler organized, putting away the deliveries, etc... And of course, preparing sandwiches and salads for customers, working cash, fixing computer issues, etc..

I typically enjoy my days at work however sometimes it becomes too much to handle, emotionally and mentally. I am NOT given my pay stubs on time, sometimes my pay is incorrect, my employer constantly threatens to take away our wages for stuff we didn't do (which is also illegal), there is no proper procedures to deal with difficult customers and there's no respect for the employees.

What I did learn was how to solve problems on my own, how to work more efficiently as a team, time-management and some paperwork skills.

*As many people wonder, this is a minimum paying job and most employers will only have you work under part-time so they don't have to fulfill full-time benefits.
Pros
Free lunches, helpful team members, and simple formulas to remember
Cons
Some difficult customers, no proper safety training, and "the blame game" played between all staff members.
Great co workers
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  941 Hamilton RdJanuary 25, 2016
I started this job while still in high school, and it was my first job. I have learned many things while working for subway. The most important thing I learned was how to communicate problems within the store or company without complaining. This was a key component to coming up with strategies or solutions to those problems. The management was very open minded and listened a great deal to how the employees were feeling in their work environment. Although it was a workplace, management and co workers were really able to become a tight knit group and have a lot of fun while going about our day to day activities. This was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free food while working
Cons
Weekend shifts
Subway is just awesome
Storefront/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 8, 2016
A typical work day subway included starting off the day by making a fresh pot off coffee and throwing some cookies in the oven followed by starting the daily prep (cucumbers,tomatoes,etc)
The management is phenomenal and seek answers to issues extremely fast. Id Have to say an added bonus was the little competitions to see who could make a sub the fasted. It was an amazing way to get all team members to work together while at the same time improving skills
Pros
Free meal with every Shift
Cons
Cutting onions
Busy, very upbeat store with great customers.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 21, 2015
Good place to work but management could use some improvement. Customers are great and fun to serve, and co-workers are easy to get along and work with. Learned how to close out tills at end of day.Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the big rushes with only one other co-worker. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving my regular customers and seeing how happy they are that I made there sandwich just the way they like it.
Pros
free foot long every shift
Cons
Relaxed Fast paced fun easy job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Iroquois Falls, ONJuly 2, 2016
A typical day was come in a 4:00 and make sure our fridges were stocked. Then I would make subs as they came in while making sure everything was clean and stocked.
I learned how to deal with a Bipolar manager and how to deal with some very stupid people who couldn't even comprehend the concept of a sub.
Co-workers were either teenagers or people ranging to 60. Most of the people who were stupid or unenjoyable to work with usually got fired so all the co-workers were great.
Hardest part of the job was getting people to come in when other idiots would not show up for their shift.
The most enjoyable part was definitely the co-workers but there were times you dealt with fun customers who would talk your ear off.
Pros
Easy work. Easy co-workers. Easy Boss. Easy life.
Cons
dealing with people who are not intelligent or rude.
Subway Sandwich is always fresh and lovely fast food.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Greets and serves guests, prepares food, maintains food safety and sanitation standards, and handles or processes.
Exceptional customer service and deal with customers in a fast, friendly and efficient manner.
Management of staff and training for new employees and directed staff to ensure that food safety, product preparation, and cleanliness standards were maintained.
Employees are hard working and are team work player.
Having communication with customer is enjoyable special when they are happy of your job and giving you good feeling.
food service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, ONMay 30, 2016
• Greet customers, take their order, and process transactions as a cashier using cash, debit, and credit
• The ability to effectively communicate and serve customers in a timely manner
• Reduces food waste through tracking average daily sales of food, drinks and cookies.
• Cleans and maintains all areas of the restaurant to promote a clean image
• Prepares sandwiches neatly accordingly to formula and in quick and timely manner
• Computer skills: MS office, internet and email applications
• Strong customer service skills, with the ability to diffuse difficult situations, Positive, highly disciplined, and hardworking
• Outgoing, friendly and cheerful Subway Sandwich Artist knows that customers make the business, believes in delivering high-quality sandwiches and cookies every time.
Hectic, un-organized, and mis-managed
sandwhich artist (Former Employee) –  Eastern Passage, NSJuly 15, 2016
While working here, i had long hours by myself at night, with next to no security system in the building. Co-workers were nice and helpful, very much team-players, but were all of similar opinions for the work environment. very un-organized and hectic shifts, as often times you would be left by yourself to serve all customers on a busy closing shift, while being expected to clean the store and finish closing jobs by yourself before the end of your shift. management is also very passive aggressive, and lazy to address problems until last possible minute.
Pros
Free food, and flexible hours
Cons
uncaring management, un-steady hours, hectic and unorganized
Great place to gain customer service experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
I appreciated the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment where I could interact with new faces on a daily basis. I learned a lot about customer service skills and how to respond to difficult customers/situations. I also learned how to multi-task.The hardest part of the job was being the only employee in the store at times; it can be challenging to cover the positions of a sandwich maker and cashier when there are multiple customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the familiar faces of regular customers, and knowing exactly how to respond to their order of "the usual".
Pros
Flexible hours, long shifts
Cons
Being the only employee in the store for a couple of hours at night

2.8