Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,563 reviews matching the search
The people are great the pay isn't
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
Subway was a great place to learn how to be an employee it teaches you time management skills and forces you to work as a team on the assembly line. The people are very nice and the managers are very forgiving at least where i worked. However the pay is absolutely terrible and very little room for pay raises at least with the owner of my store. the only way to break $20,000 was to become a manager and that was maybe an extra 200 a week for 4 times the responsibility. The best part of the job was becoming good enough that most of the work became a cakewalk whereas the hardest part would definitely be disciplining newer workers.
Pros
employee meals
Cons
Not much room for raises and advancement
Fast Paced, Energetic Environment
Supervisor (Crew Leader) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 February 2017
subway is one of, if not THE leading sandwich franchises in Ontario, a typical day at work was always fast paced, busy, and fun. Most customers just need a smile to make their day. You must be very vigilant about health codes, and sanitation procedures, as you would be in an environment that if this areas are not monitored closely, you could cause someone to get sick. The hardest part of the job at subway , in my experience, (Some Franchise owners may be different) was the lack of full time hours, and the bare minimum wage. I was a supervisor, and still made minimum wage after being promoted, there are no benefits, and we were not allowed to work more then 7 hours a day.
Pros
50% off a 6 inch, (in my franchise), Tips, Meeting People
Cons
minimum wage, repetitive
Fun workplace
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
- I open five days a week from Monday to Friday. I usually arrive work at 5:30am and I start preparing everything for lunch, it is usually busy.
- I learned how to establish a good working relationship with customers, communicate with customers, to be responsible during work, and to be organized and on time for everything.
- I work with my manager everyday, it is very fun to work with her, we do everything as a team work.
- The hardest part of working in subway is doing everything by myself, I come in the morning and start cutting vegetables, preparing meat, baking bread, changing all the containers, and cleaning.
- the most enjoyable part of subway is to interact with different customers, making customers happy with my service; that is our restaurant goal.
Pros
Polite manager, fun to work with my coworkers
Cons
No increasing salary, no benifit
Productive...fast paced...fun
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, AB1 December 2016
It was my second job I had when I was the right age to start working back in the day. Management was good i enjoyed it. I was always opening the store and i would come to work and work with other employers that called and said the other worker was hiding in the back not helping and just eating. I would go and tell the lazy worker to go home and help out whoch i got a raise for doing and was looked at to be a manager at the time.
Pros
U get a free sub to take home at the end of shift
Cons
Lazy workers
Need to be highly energenic as it is fast passed environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  South Porcupine, ON2 February 2017
good place to get basics of work ethics, but they need benefits and better salary for the work they ask to be done. They should offer discounts to employees as they are already a high profit organization and competitive wages . at least $14.00 an hour would be a good wage and make the staff reliable and consistent.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
did not receive discount and rude customers
I liked working with healthy food and customers.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC6 December 2016
I started out as a sandwich maker. I learned the ropes of the business and then advanced to supervisor. Being that I was there for 2.5 years I was given full benefits with dental insurance. Excellent training was provided which instilled confidence in me to proceed to the next level of supervisor.
Pros
training and advancement
Cons
losing good workers to other job placements
I never really found true enjoyment
Sandwich artist, Dishwasher, and Janitor (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2017
During the beginning of my time at Subway, it went pretty well, mainly because I had good colleagues to work with, but as time went on, many of those people left the establishment, leaving it with an empty feeling and a lot of boring, unenthusiastic people. I have also had other friends who have worked at Subway, and they expressed they same feelings that I have.
Pros
Free sub every shift
Cons
Bad hours, pay is low, no benifits
Great first time job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Palmerston, ON3 December 2016
Very busy and fast paced environment. When a good team is hired on things can be really fun and restaurant can run top notch. Working as a student I received full time during the summer and was able to work in other Subways under same owner. Lots of room for advancement and manager type rolls.
Pros
Good discounts when working, room for advancement
Cons
Salary, no benefits
productive
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
no employee benefits
co-workers are so helpful
management is so stressful
nice atmosphere to work
I've learned to how to tackle with bad situation in a good way
how to provide good customer service
Terrible
Sandwich Artist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2017
I don't wanna recommend this company, terrible rate at 10/hour, no benefits, terrible schedule for the staff like very short noticed.Sorry, but poor management indeed.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Terrible schedule, the lowest rate among food industries.
over all
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 January 2017
i enjoyed all jobs i worked at great staff good management
great work environment. loved location.
sometime working alone was hard but overall a good exsperience
Pros
benefits..... free food when working..at subway
Cons
working alone.....
subway
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 February 2017
not a bad place to work. fast paced. friendly managers and co-workers. I would recommend this for a first time job. there is not too much room for pay raise. but it is a stead income.
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB7 June 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
Job Security
Shift Manager & Senior Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 October 2016
if your student subway is best place for part time work, life Balance and Job Security is best. however salary and benefits are that that great due to minimum wage.
Strict working environment with low wages
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON25 October 2016
Everything was done by the books wages were low and no benefits. Good food was often wasted the manager was the opposite of understanding. Staff were treated like children.
Pros
20% discount once a day
Cons
Full price for beverages
Easy but no benefits
Cashier and Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2016
It is a quite simple job which involves lots of team and customer communication but the only negative thing is that they offer no benefits at all
No satisfaction
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2016
I like to do job where people work according to rules . There should be proper code of conduct. I have been working a place where no one appreciate your work does not matter how good you work. I like to work in a fast paced environment. I am good in a customer service.
Pros
free food
Cons
no appreciation, no increment in salary, poor team work
Okay Job, its a relaxing job.
Night Supervisor, Closed store at night (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 September 2016
If you want permanent or work that you can rise in and go further then subway is not for you. you can only go so high and the pay stays pretty much the same and you don`t get benefits until your manager..
Pros
Free Subs
Cons
No benefits or not a lot of chances to go further
Unrewarding
Sandwich Artist (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, AB3 June 2016
- Hard company to work for.
- Never recognized as a valued employee.
- My coworkers were great for the most part. As with every job there were hard days.
- Hardest part of the job was being told I was never doing good enough. Never getting a raise after the years I was there. I worked there for many years on and off.
- I loved talking with the customers and coworkers that I worked with. Developing the relationship I had with everyone was amazing.
Pros
coworkers, customers
Cons
no raises, certain coworkers getting special treatment
it was a good beginner job
Customer service reapresentative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 May 2016
working at subway was a good beginner job .there were no benefits long hours with minimal breaks .best part of my job was getting to interact with the customers and my co -workers .Management was iffy .manager never listened to employees and what hours they could work always did what was beneficial to her and assistant manager.
Pros
great way to get experience, made new friends and learned how to interact with customer from all different walks of life
Cons
long hours not many breaks and no free food

2.8