Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,320 reviews matching the search
fun work place great people
Senior Sandwich Artist/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Portage place mallMarch 1, 2016
When i worked for subway i enjoyed it very much i worked from 12pm or 1pm to 10:30pm closing time some times i would stay and finish things that needed to be done on my own time just so we could keep up the cleaning part of the store i trained new staff made bread cut veggys stocked shelves dated food products rotated stalk counted inventory and supervised night staff went to other subways if we ran out of products after making it ok with management i was lad off from this job though it happens i also liked the Walmart cards every year and pins i did not like the switching of managers 5 times since i was there i all so did not like that i only had a 5 cent raise for working 6 years and was on call 24hrs because there were only 2 openers for that store and i also did shift work and what we called clokens this is when you close the store and then open the store the next day you just learned to work with no sleep they also gave us Walmart cards and year pins.
Pros
The best thing with working at these kind of jobs was the free lunches or suppers
Cons
Shift work was hard but manageable
good information about Subway Sandwiches
Sales Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
I experience very good time working every day, during time that I was working in Subway sandwich's, in lunch line up always 6 people was at front , with lot's of pressure and stress to serve the people in a best way, we should smile and be kind, gradually it got our habit, then job goes faster and easier and we had a more fun. with that attempt , our customer had been raised, and our store manager gave us wadge raise.
Pros
very good friendship
Cons
lot's of food smell in store
Great Food services Company
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 13, 2016
Good teamwork, Great food and fresh things. great management and salary offering. Good time assignment, helpful training, Good course in University of Subway
great place to work
food counter attendant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 21, 2016
it is a good place to work.but less salary.have been there for more than 2 years and growth opportunities are minimal.though we get free meals and extra time also.
Pros
free meals
Cons
less pay.
Entry-level job teaches valuable skills but tests patience and effects morale
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Typical day includes preparing meats, and veggies, filling sauce containers, making soup, cookies, and bread, cleaning the store and other rooms (changing rooms, office, etc..), filling the chip rack, filling the fridge, keeping the walk-in cooler organized, putting away the deliveries, etc... And of course, preparing sandwiches and salads for customers, working cash, fixing computer issues, etc..

I typically enjoy my days at work however sometimes it becomes too much to handle, emotionally and mentally. I am NOT given my pay stubs on time, sometimes my pay is incorrect, my employer constantly threatens to take away our wages for stuff we didn't do (which is also illegal), there is no proper procedures to deal with difficult customers and there's no respect for the employees.

What I did learn was how to solve problems on my own, how to work more efficiently as a team, time-management and some paperwork skills.

*As many people wonder, this is a minimum paying job and most employers will only have you work under part-time so they don't have to fulfill full-time benefits.
Pros
Free lunches, helpful team members, and simple formulas to remember
Cons
Some difficult customers, no proper safety training, and "the blame game" played between all staff members.
good working environment
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 20, 2016
it is a wonderful experience but shifts are very long so i want to change my job. i am looking for a good job with good salary for an hour.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long shifts
We always get the minimum salary and the work is heavy
Sand-witch Artist (Former Employee) –  Downtown, torontoFebruary 24, 2016
No extra benefits
No fixed shift
Hard work
Need to prepare almost everything everyday
Have to work in multiple locations
Good to improve communication skills
Good food
great enviroment decent salery
Cashier/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONDecember 12, 2015
always different due to different shift times.
learned how to make subs.
more helpful at certain times, less helpful at others.
fun co-workers.
great salary for a sandwich shop
hardest part was working different shift each week.
most enjoyable were the co-workers company and some regular customers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
diffrent shift times, was not able to plan ahead
Productive and fast paced environment with great team players
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 16, 2016
Working at Subway really gave me the opportunity to grow in the customer service field as well as gain experience working in a fast paced environment. Almost like working on an assembly line, able to stand in one spot for long hours. Most of my shifts at Subway included me working 10 hour days, so it prepared me for jobs with long hours.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
not a long term career choice for me
Challenging work environment.
Foodcounter Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High Level, ALBERTA, CANADAJanuary 10, 2016
Working with SUBWAY in Canada was indeed a challenging role. As Supervisor, working with variety of people was the greatest challenge I've overcome. Despite the differences in cultures and upbringing, it was awesome to know my team mates and it was fun to work with people of various cultures and traditions. It helped me a lot in establishing my managerial and supervising skills.
The management was awesome and my co-workers are fun to work with.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is during busy days when we have to double all our efforts to deliver with the demands of the customers while maintaining excellent customer service and maintain the product quality. It's the hardest but it was also the most enjoyable because that was when we were trained to be more productive and patient in dealing with people and ensuring our business' target.
Pros
free meals, regular appraisals, fast promotions
Cons
long winter days in CANADA.
Relaxed Fast paced fun easy job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Iroquois Falls, ONJuly 2, 2016
A typical day was come in a 4:00 and make sure our fridges were stocked. Then I would make subs as they came in while making sure everything was clean and stocked.
I learned how to deal with a Bipolar manager and how to deal with some very stupid people who couldn't even comprehend the concept of a sub.
Co-workers were either teenagers or people ranging to 60. Most of the people who were stupid or unenjoyable to work with usually got fired so all the co-workers were great.
Hardest part of the job was getting people to come in when other idiots would not show up for their shift.
The most enjoyable part was definitely the co-workers but there were times you dealt with fun customers who would talk your ear off.
Pros
Easy work. Easy co-workers. Easy Boss. Easy life.
Cons
dealing with people who are not intelligent or rude.
Time management and build good relation
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 25, 2016
Working in Subway store is great. I learned great skills like time management and build good relation with customer. Winter 2016, it was toughest day for me. Generally in winters store is slow but and i just joined subway before 2 month and that day i saw suddenly i had 9 customer standing in queue. So i speed up and they all knew that i was new there so they encourage me and some of them had big order. But i finished all orders and at the end when i checked the system it was showing that i made 29 sandwiches in one hour by my self only. At that time i realize that if you truly believe in your self that everything is possible. So always work hard.
Pros
Free Cookies
Hectic, un-organized, and mis-managed
sandwhich artist (Former Employee) –  Eastern Passage, NSJuly 15, 2016
While working here, i had long hours by myself at night, with next to no security system in the building. Co-workers were nice and helpful, very much team-players, but were all of similar opinions for the work environment. very un-organized and hectic shifts, as often times you would be left by yourself to serve all customers on a busy closing shift, while being expected to clean the store and finish closing jobs by yourself before the end of your shift. management is also very passive aggressive, and lazy to address problems until last possible minute.
Pros
Free food, and flexible hours
Cons
uncaring management, un-steady hours, hectic and unorganized
My Experience
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 31, 2016
The work days were nice and fun. Meet lots of clientele and try to serve them to the best of your ability. You learn how to prep the meats and vegetables along with how to cut the bread properly, placements of the meats and cheese to toasting it just right. The management was fairly good DEPENDING on who's your manager. I personally didn't feel welcome and felt set up to fail most of the time. There was NO warning nor confrontation as to what I was doing wrong. They kept cutting my shifts until I was working only 6 hours a week and had me ask as to why they were getting cut so short. Only then they would give a warning and expect me to fix within two days and this was my second month of working there. I would say the hardest part of the job was to remain calm when there's a lot of people and not over think too much if you are prone to stress.
Pros
Free fountain drinks on shift, free 6 inch or 12 in sub (depends on your shift) discounts on chips, bottled drinks and cookies, tips
Cons
Slow days, the odd rude coworker, rude clientele, standing for long periods of time
Occasionally fun place to work, but poor pay, no benefits or promotions, no job security
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  VancouverAugust 18, 2015
Very demanding work place, especially working on a university campus during the school year.
Immense amount of work to do during all shifts.
Worked for three years, received absolutely no raise or benefits.
The job interfered greatly with my schooling and I was let go in the end for not being able to continue with strenuous schedule.
Pros
free food and drinks, meeting awesome people, amazing coworkers (for the most part)
Cons
extremely stressful, low pay for hard work, no pay raise, little to no job security
food service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, ONMay 30, 2016
• Greet customers, take their order, and process transactions as a cashier using cash, debit, and credit
• The ability to effectively communicate and serve customers in a timely manner
• Reduces food waste through tracking average daily sales of food, drinks and cookies.
• Cleans and maintains all areas of the restaurant to promote a clean image
• Prepares sandwiches neatly accordingly to formula and in quick and timely manner
• Computer skills: MS office, internet and email applications
• Strong customer service skills, with the ability to diffuse difficult situations, Positive, highly disciplined, and hardworking
• Outgoing, friendly and cheerful Subway Sandwich Artist knows that customers make the business, believes in delivering high-quality sandwiches and cookies every time.
First job. Helped develop customer service and learned more about having a job.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 3, 2016
This experience helped to develop my learning abilities in terms of: customer service, teamwork, organization, interpersonal skills with co-workers and staff, and scheduling. It provided me with an opportunity to take on challenges in a workplace setting, particularly in the area of customer and food servicing. I also developed an attitude to take on responsibilities and plan for my future, as this job helped in saving for university.
Pros
Free Lunches and had a great staff to bond with professionally.
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement
Enhance my communications skills
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
-Expand my networking
- able to improve my communication skills because English is not my first language
opportunity to work with diverse employees
able to handle time management
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
long hours and sometimes working on holidays
Enjoyable, fast paced environment
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSJune 17, 2016
Duties at this job is the same as other fast food place expectations. Worked in fast paced enviorment, clean utilities Greeted and assisted customers creating a welcoming/friendly environment.
Received customers orders,prepared food/beverages according to specifications. Operated cash register; accepted/processed payments via cash and debit/credit transactions.Disinfected and sanitized kitchen work stations, public areas and washrooms
Ensured all food products were fresh and ready to serve and Prepared serving stations and replenished product. I am a team player, and am able to complete task with coworkers or independently.
Great place to gain customer service experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
I appreciated the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment where I could interact with new faces on a daily basis. I learned a lot about customer service skills and how to respond to difficult customers/situations. I also learned how to multi-task.The hardest part of the job was being the only employee in the store at times; it can be challenging to cover the positions of a sandwich maker and cashier when there are multiple customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the familiar faces of regular customers, and knowing exactly how to respond to their order of "the usual".
Pros
Flexible hours, long shifts
Cons
Being the only employee in the store for a couple of hours at night

2.8