Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
fun work place great people
Senior Sandwich Artist/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MB Portage place mallMarch 1, 2016
Pros: The best thing with working at these kind of jobs was the free lunches or suppers
Cons: Shift work was hard but manageable
When i worked for subway i enjoyed it very much i worked from 12pm or 1pm to 10:30pm closing time some times i would stay and finish things that needed to be done on my own time just so we could keep up the cleaning part of the store i trained new staff made bread cut veggys stocked shelves dated food products rotated stalk counted inventory and supervised night staff went to other subways if we ran out of products after making it ok with management i was lad off from this job though it happens i also liked the Walmart cards every year and pins i did not like the switching of managers 5 times since i was there i all so did not like that i only had a 5 cent raise for working 6 years and was on call 24hrs because there were only 2 openers for that store and i also did shift work and what we called clokens this is when you close the store and then open the store the next day you just learned to work with no sleep they also gave us Walmart cards and year pins.
good information about Subway Sandwiches
Sales Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Pros: very good friendship
Cons: lot's of food smell in store
I experience very good time working every day, during time that I was working in Subway sandwich's, in lunch line up always 6 people was at front , with lot's of pressure and stress to serve the people in a best way, we should smile and be kind, gradually it got our habit, then job goes faster and easier and we had a more fun. with that attempt , our customer had been raised, and our store manager gave us wadge raise.
Entry-level job teaches valuable skills but tests patience and effects morale
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee), North York, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Pros: Free lunches, helpful team members, and simple formulas to remember
Cons: Some difficult customers, no proper safety training, and "the blame game" played between all staff members.
Typical day includes preparing meats, and veggies, filling sauce containers, making soup, cookies, and bread, cleaning the store and other rooms (changing rooms, office, etc..), filling the chip rack, filling the fridge, keeping the walk-in cooler organized, putting away the deliveries, etc... And of course, preparing sandwiches and salads for customers, working cash, fixing computer issues, etc..

I typically enjoy my days at work however sometimes it becomes too much to handle, emotionally and mentally. I am NOT given my pay stubs on time, sometimes my pay is incorrect, my employer constantly threatens to take away our wages for stuff we didn't do (which is also illegal), there is no proper procedures to deal with difficult customers and there's no respect for the employees.

What I did learn was how to solve problems on my own, how to work more efficiently as a team, time-management and some paperwork skills.

*As many people wonder, this is a minimum paying job and most employers will only have you work under part-time so they don't have to fulfill full-time benefits.
Great Food services Company
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 13, 2016
Good teamwork, Great food and fresh things. great management and salary offering. Good time assignment, helpful training, Good course in University of Subway
great enviroment decent salery
Cashier/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONDecember 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: diffrent shift times, was not able to plan ahead
always different due to different shift times.
learned how to make subs.
more helpful at certain times, less helpful at others.
fun co-workers.
great salary for a sandwich shop
hardest part was working different shift each week.
most enjoyable were the co-workers company and some regular customers.
We always get the minimum salary and the work is heavy
Sand-witch Artist (Former Employee), Downtown, torontoFebruary 24, 2016
No extra benefits
No fixed shift
Hard work
Need to prepare almost everything everyday
Have to work in multiple locations
Good to improve communication skills
Good food
great place to work
food counter attendant (Current Employee), Regina, SKMarch 21, 2016
Pros: free meals
Cons: less pay.
it is a good place to work.but less salary.have been there for more than 2 years and growth opportunities are minimal.though we get free meals and extra time also.
good working environment
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCMarch 20, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long shifts
it is a wonderful experience but shifts are very long so i want to change my job. i am looking for a good job with good salary for an hour.
Challenging work environment.
Foodcounter Supervisor (Former Employee), High Level, ALBERTA, CANADAJanuary 10, 2016
Pros: free meals, regular appraisals, fast promotions
Cons: long winter days in CANADA.
Working with SUBWAY in Canada was indeed a challenging role. As Supervisor, working with variety of people was the greatest challenge I've overcome. Despite the differences in cultures and upbringing, it was awesome to know my team mates and it was fun to work with people of various cultures and traditions. It helped me a lot in establishing my managerial and supervising skills.
The management was awesome and my co-workers are fun to work with.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is during busy days when we have to double all our efforts to deliver with the demands of the customers while maintaining excellent customer service and maintain the product quality. It's the hardest but it was also the most enjoyable because that was when we were trained to be more productive and patient in dealing with people and ensuring our business' target.
Occasionally fun place to work, but poor pay, no benefits or promotions, no job security
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), VancouverAugust 18, 2015
Pros: free food and drinks, meeting awesome people, amazing coworkers (for the most part)
Cons: extremely stressful, low pay for hard work, no pay raise, little to no job security
Very demanding work place, especially working on a university campus during the school year.
Immense amount of work to do during all shifts.
Worked for three years, received absolutely no raise or benefits.
The job interfered greatly with my schooling and I was let go in the end for not being able to continue with strenuous schedule.
It is good working because we came across many new people which helps us to understand the current thinking of people.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 2, 2015
It is really a fun working in Subway but it get tough when we have to deal with some weird customers but with the help of co workers that problem is solved. Though the salary is not too good but it is fine.
Amazing workplace
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Long Lunches
Cons: Salary
I started my career with subway and it has been an amazing one for sure, there were some cons to this work, that i strongly disliked but i was appreciated for my hard work.
Good place to work at
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 23, 2015
Pros: 15min breaks are paid.
Cons: standing a lot, Benefits are so minimal
There are different pros and cons of working at this place.
Too much standing, tasks become too repetitive. Co-workers are not to great but some are really good. The supervisor knows her stuff. I really like the way she handles things.
Productive and good management
Part Time Food Service Key Holder (Current Employee), Lloydminster, SKAugust 20, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: short hours
I've been working for this company for over 7 years now. I like the working atmosphere and the teamwork. I have a big family that's why I looked for a full-time job that would give me an opportunity to raise and support my children's needs. When I got laid off from my full time job it became too difficult for me to survive with the short hours I worked for Subway.
Productive and fast paced environment with great team players
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: 50% discount
Cons: not a long term career choice for me
Working at Subway really gave me the opportunity to grow in the customer service field as well as gain experience working in a fast paced environment. Almost like working on an assembly line, able to stand in one spot for long hours. Most of my shifts at Subway included me working 10 hour days, so it prepared me for jobs with long hours.
Enhance my communications skills
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: long hours and sometimes working on holidays
-Expand my networking
- able to improve my communication skills because English is not my first language
opportunity to work with diverse employees
able to handle time management
no good
sandwich artist (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 15, 2015
work load is too much, no overtime pay, no salary raise, no benefits. all you have to do is work work and work. worst job of my life
Miserable, unfair, underpaying
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Ottawa West, ONSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: free footlong.
Cons: long hours, underpaid, understaffed, rude customers
Initially It was an easy going job, easy to learn.

I was trained during the day. As it turns out, day staff gets 2-3 employees while the morning, evening and overnight staff were left alone, no matter how busy it got.

If you worked during the day, it was an okay job.

Any other shift, was miserable. customers were rude, workload was too heavy, and we constantly ran out of things. It was not a good time.

The overall place wasn't the cleanest, and 99% of the time, I wouldn't take my free meals for this reason. They were lazy with checking expiration dates, and I'm pretty sure sold expired/ questionable guacamole, breakfast sausage and egg. The dates on all prepared products were constantly changes for inspection one a month... so at the beginning of the month, you know foods were left in the sandwich unit too long unless it was a good seller.

The steak smells and tastes like dog food.
The ham and Turkey makes you want to vomit. Smells rancid.

The cheese is constantly all melted together from being left out too long.... sometimes the day staff would have it on the counter for hours upon hours during the day. Gross.

Some staff, had only 1 raise of a nickel in 2+ years of working there. I failed to receive my promotion, or my 6 month raise.

I don't recommend this as a first job for anyone. Creates bad work habits and is a poor example of proper workplace cleanliness. I worked at 3 locations. None were any different than the others.
First job. Helped develop customer service and learned more about having a job.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 3, 2016
Pros: Free Lunches and had a great staff to bond with professionally.
Cons: Limited opportunities for advancement
This experience helped to develop my learning abilities in terms of: customer service, teamwork, organization, interpersonal skills with co-workers and staff, and scheduling. It provided me with an opportunity to take on challenges in a workplace setting, particularly in the area of customer and food servicing. I also developed an attitude to take on responsibilities and plan for my future, as this job helped in saving for university.
Busy, very upbeat store with great customers.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Saint John, NBNovember 21, 2015
Pros: free foot long every shift
Cons: long hours
Good place to work but management could use some improvement. Customers are great and fun to serve, and co-workers are easy to get along and work with. Learned how to close out tills at end of day.Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the big rushes with only one other co-worker. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving my regular customers and seeing how happy they are that I made there sandwich just the way they like it.
Headquarters