Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,408 reviews matching the search
The people are great the pay isn't
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
Subway was a great place to learn how to be an employee it teaches you time management skills and forces you to work as a team on the assembly line. The people are very nice and the managers are very forgiving at least where i worked. However the pay is absolutely terrible and very little room for pay raises at least with the owner of my store. the only way to break $20,000 was to become a manager and that was maybe an extra 200 a week for 4 times the responsibility. The best part of the job was becoming good enough that most of the work became a cakewalk whereas the hardest part would definitely be disciplining newer workers.
Pros
employee meals
Cons
Not much room for raises and advancement
Fun workplace
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
- I open five days a week from Monday to Friday. I usually arrive work at 5:30am and I start preparing everything for lunch, it is usually busy.
- I learned how to establish a good working relationship with customers, communicate with customers, to be responsible during work, and to be organized and on time for everything.
- I work with my manager everyday, it is very fun to work with her, we do everything as a team work.
- The hardest part of working in subway is doing everything by myself, I come in the morning and start cutting vegetables, preparing meat, baking bread, changing all the containers, and cleaning.
- the most enjoyable part of subway is to interact with different customers, making customers happy with my service; that is our restaurant goal.
Pros
Polite manager, fun to work with my coworkers
Cons
No increasing salary, no benifit
Productive...fast paced...fun
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, AB1 December 2016
It was my second job I had when I was the right age to start working back in the day. Management was good i enjoyed it. I was always opening the store and i would come to work and work with other employers that called and said the other worker was hiding in the back not helping and just eating. I would go and tell the lazy worker to go home and help out whoch i got a raise for doing and was looked at to be a manager at the time.
Pros
U get a free sub to take home at the end of shift
Cons
Lazy workers
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB7 June 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
Unrewarding
Sandwich Artist (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, AB3 June 2016
- Hard company to work for.
- Never recognized as a valued employee.
- My coworkers were great for the most part. As with every job there were hard days.
- Hardest part of the job was being told I was never doing good enough. Never getting a raise after the years I was there. I worked there for many years on and off.
- I loved talking with the customers and coworkers that I worked with. Developing the relationship I had with everyone was amazing.
Pros
coworkers, customers
Cons
no raises, certain coworkers getting special treatment
it was a good beginner job
Customer service reapresentative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 May 2016
working at subway was a good beginner job .there were no benefits long hours with minimal breaks .best part of my job was getting to interact with the customers and my co -workers .Management was iffy .manager never listened to employees and what hours they could work always did what was beneficial to her and assistant manager.
Pros
great way to get experience, made new friends and learned how to interact with customer from all different walks of life
Cons
long hours not many breaks and no free food
No satisfaction
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2016
I like to do job where people work according to rules . There should be proper code of conduct. I have been working a place where no one appreciate your work does not matter how good you work. I like to work in a fast paced environment. I am good in a customer service.
Pros
free food
Cons
no appreciation, no increment in salary, poor team work
Job Security
Shift Manager & Senior Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 October 2016
if your student subway is best place for part time work, life Balance and Job Security is best. however salary and benefits are that that great due to minimum wage.
Okay Job, its a relaxing job.
Night Supervisor, Closed store at night (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 September 2016
If you want permanent or work that you can rise in and go further then subway is not for you. you can only go so high and the pay stays pretty much the same and you don`t get benefits until your manager..
Pros
Free Subs
Cons
No benefits or not a lot of chances to go further
Strict working environment with low wages
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON25 October 2016
Everything was done by the books wages were low and no benefits. Good food was often wasted the manager was the opposite of understanding. Staff were treated like children.
Pros
20% discount once a day
Cons
Full price for beverages
Priductive
Lethbridge - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 September 2016
Multitasking work culture, friendly staff and work culture. Challenging job with high work pressure. Hardest part was travelling.
Pros
Financial benefits
Cons
Lots of travelling
fun work enviroment
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
good starter job, not much benefits other than a discount on food. good hours and management is nice, some coworkers can be annoying
Pros
fun enviroment
Cons
minimun wage. too much responsbilities for not enough pay.
Easy but no benefits
Cashier and Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2016
It is a quite simple job which involves lots of team and customer communication but the only negative thing is that they offer no benefits at all
Good co-workers, grueling job
Sandwich Artist® (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2016
Tight hours without too much leeway unless a lot of seniority, a lot of things to be done against clock that depends on customers. I was the closer, so a lot of this depends on evening workers, which were nice to work with, but slack off. There are no assistant managers, manager only highers for frontline service position and pay. No benefits. Hard to balance demand of shifts with school due to turnover rate of fellow co-workers,
Pros
Spare time at end during slow days
Cons
Late customers and those that are rude or order for groups
Time management and build good relation
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 September 2016
Working in Subway store is great. I learned great skills like time management and build good relation with customer. Winter 2016, it was toughest day for me. Generally in winters store is slow but and i just joined subway before 2 month and that day i saw suddenly i had 9 customer standing in queue. So i speed up and they all knew that i was new there so they encourage me and some of them had big order. But i finished all orders and at the end when i checked the system it was showing that i made 29 sandwiches in one hour by my self only. At that time i realize that if you truly believe in your self that everything is possible. So always work hard.
Pros
Free Cookies
fun work place great people
Senior Sandwich Artist/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Portage place mall1 March 2016
When i worked for subway i enjoyed it very much i worked from 12pm or 1pm to 10:30pm closing time some times i would stay and finish things that needed to be done on my own time just so we could keep up the cleaning part of the store i trained new staff made bread cut veggys stocked shelves dated food products rotated stalk counted inventory and supervised night staff went to other subways if we ran out of products after making it ok with management i was lad off from this job though it happens i also liked the Walmart cards every year and pins i did not like the switching of managers 5 times since i was there i all so did not like that i only had a 5 cent raise for working 6 years and was on call 24hrs because there were only 2 openers for that store and i also did shift work and what we called clokens this is when you close the store and then open the store the next day you just learned to work with no sleep they also gave us Walmart cards and year pins.
Pros
The best thing with working at these kind of jobs was the free lunches or suppers
Cons
Shift work was hard but manageable
with customers time goes very fast and i like the busy hours of store to enjoy
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 June 2016
it is a great experience for me to work in subway. in here we get only basic amount $11.25 ,no benifits which is not a huge amount to complete all the desires.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no doubt long hours
good information about Subway Sandwiches
Sales Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2016
I experience very good time working every day, during time that I was working in Subway sandwich's, in lunch line up always 6 people was at front , with lot's of pressure and stress to serve the people in a best way, we should smile and be kind, gradually it got our habit, then job goes faster and easier and we had a more fun. with that attempt , our customer had been raised, and our store manager gave us wadge raise.
Pros
very good friendship
Cons
lot's of food smell in store
Hectic, un-organized, and mis-managed
sandwhich artist (Former Employee) –  Eastern Passage, NS15 July 2016
While working here, i had long hours by myself at night, with next to no security system in the building. Co-workers were nice and helpful, very much team-players, but were all of similar opinions for the work environment. very un-organized and hectic shifts, as often times you would be left by yourself to serve all customers on a busy closing shift, while being expected to clean the store and finish closing jobs by yourself before the end of your shift. management is also very passive aggressive, and lazy to address problems until last possible minute.
Pros
Free food, and flexible hours
Cons
uncaring management, un-steady hours, hectic and unorganized
Make sandwiches and interact with people who want to buy food.
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  St.-Lazare, QC26 September 2016
Typical day at work would consist of cleaning the store, preparing food for the days work and making sandwiches for people wanting to buy Subway, Co-workers were high school students like me at the time. the job was engaging, not a lot of downtime and generally fun. management was nice and very sympathetic to personal needs and basic human needs.
Pros
discounted food for employees
Cons
long hours on your feet sometimes

2.8