Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,565 reviews matching the search
I never really found true enjoyment
Sandwich artist, Dishwasher, and Janitor (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2017
During the beginning of my time at Subway, it went pretty well, mainly because I had good colleagues to work with, but as time went on, many of those people left the establishment, leaving it with an empty feeling and a lot of boring, unenthusiastic people. I have also had other friends who have worked at Subway, and they expressed they same feelings that I have.
Pros
Free sub every shift
Cons
Bad hours, pay is low, no benifits
Decent Entry Job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 February 2017
Its a good place to start working. The tasks are simple enough that it gives you confidence and an understanding of working with others, for others. It's a lot of fun when you have a good team to work with and things go by very quick and smoothly when lunch times hits. I would say that some management could use some tweaking. The hardest part of the job I would say is not having a designated lunch break at all. Best part, working in a team and when regular customers would come in.
Pros
Free 6in Sub
Cons
No lunch breaks, Low wage
A Good start
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 February 2017
I believe Subway like Mcdonalds is a establishment that targets its employment towards the youth, I believe that they are excellent in providing the basics of what a job is, it also teaches great lessons like money management and customer service, which is huge in most fields, Subway provides a good foundation for beginners starting in the work force or kids who are attending school, it is not a high stressed job and it allows for employees to develop skills for the future.
Pros
Learning Experience while earning a wage
Cons
Depending on locations Management can be terrible.
working at subway is like a usual business
Sandwich Artist and Cashier (Former Employee) –  calgary28 January 2017
theres a lot of regular customers in every morning that will talk and will give you a tiny conversation to them and you will be comfortable to them not because there not only friendly they also understand you. the hardest part or day is just the friday because the management reducing/cutting hours so there is only 2 person specially in lunch time. but the thing you can still enjoy it the way how they treat there co-workers.
Pros
theres a free lunch and the owner pays our break.
Cons
every fridays is usually busy and the owner is cutting hours theres 2 person only
Easy to stay busy, good environment
Dallas Kamloops - Food Prep/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 February 2017
* Had a chore list to follow everyday - must finish every task given
* Daily goals to reach - follow up with manager
* Learned how to keep things organized (chores, food prep, receipts, tips, cash, etc.)
* Learning cash was very important (Lots of responsibility)
* Hardest part of the job was to make sure everything was counted precisely, and organized to the managers standards. (Money)
* ( Dallas subway has a cafe ) Enjoyed making drinks, iced and hot.
Pros
Discount, and reasonably easy tasks
Cons
Not very flexible hours
very good
Manager (Current Employee) –  quinte west1 February 2017
I open the store and count the inventory as well as cash. Baking of the bread and cookies are next as well as preperation of meat and vegetables for the daily anticapated sales. I tend to customers needs and all day preparing sandwiches to their liking. The closing at night I clean the entire store and close the days business while depositing the cash for the day. On Tuesday I do an inventory of the entire store, order inwentory for the next weeks business and also have to do the payroll for the week.
Pros
make my own schedule
Cons
very long hours
Easy job, however; very unprofessional boss.
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Oakland, ON6 February 2017
Decent hours, and great coworkers. But the boss expects you to work the Esso Staion, the Subway and the Pizza Pizza at the same time. My work experience is I was working 13 hours a day and 6 days a week only because I refused to work the 7th day. They asked me to skip high school to come in for shifts, threatened to fire me when i wouldn't and because I am female my boss claimed I didn't deserve a lunch break and I should be lucky to have a job at all. I would never go back.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Very unprofessional employer
You're always busy, always something to do eg. restocking food, cleaning the area, customers
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 February 2017
Come in with smiling faces, it's usually slow during the morning especially during the winter. Always smells nice since you're surrounded by food. Poor communication with manager, overall working hours are low due to manager calling me whenever she pleases. Learned how to properly make a sandwich, communicate and greet customers. Coworkers are friendly
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short notice to work
I enjoyed every minute of having my own store to run!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Great environment to work in! I had many tasks as a manager! I feel the hardest part of the job was making sure I had the best staff to accommodate what I needed. Strong work ethic and a great mind set always helped. Most enjoyable part was watching my Subway grow into something much bigger than it was when I took over!!
Pros
Being able to run my business and have the confidence to strive and reach my goals
Cons
Moving from my North Bay store to an Ottawa store!
busy and interesting
MANAGEMENT/ SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Cobden, ON22 February 2017
A typical day at work would be doing inventory and delivery paperwork.
Making sure all product is made fresh per day and product is stocked in sandwich unit and back up is done.
The most enjoyable part is knowing the customer is happy with their experience.
The management part of my job consisted of making sure all employees were scheduled as requested and all employees followed the proper procedures when prepping food and assisting customers.
Hardest part of the job was having to write a employee up for discipline reasons as this was a small town location.
Pros
free meal
Cons
long hours when people called in sick.
Easy and good training ground store.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2017
Subway is my first job when I and my family came here in Canada. it is pleasant to meet different people every day, I learned a lot of things with the store, more importantly how to give your best shot in working as a team. I am glad that I worked with people who are good trainers and mentors they taught me every detail how to work and sometimes manage the store when our manager is sick. my co- workers are also nice and cooperative in our tasks, they all become my friends. the hardest part is handling people's rudeness but in most cases tolerable. I enjoyed my work because I am inspired because of my family.
Pros
Free lunch and drinks
Positive and fun work enviroment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Wiarton, ON17 January 2017
A typical day working at subway would be making subs and preparing vegetables for the day, lots of baking and keeping the store clean. The management was very good kept everything organized. Co-workers were very positive and very fun too work with made the day better, best part of the day was working them. Ive never had a bad day working there other than some customers and one co-worker.
Pros
co-workers, positive, always something to do
Cons
Fun and an educating place to learn and work and is acutally fun to do so.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2017
My total experience until now is totally fun because I love the people there. My manager and the co-workers are very nice and I get to learn new things everyday. The environment there is very adaptable, means no one will have problem in blending in there. We care about each other. This cheerful environment is also very good for the customers.
Pros
Free meal, nice schedule.
Cons
nothing
Fast Paced, Energetic Environment
Supervisor (Crew Leader) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 February 2017
subway is one of, if not THE leading sandwich franchises in Ontario, a typical day at work was always fast paced, busy, and fun. Most customers just need a smile to make their day. You must be very vigilant about health codes, and sanitation procedures, as you would be in an environment that if this areas are not monitored closely, you could cause someone to get sick. The hardest part of the job at subway , in my experience, (Some Franchise owners may be different) was the lack of full time hours, and the bare minimum wage. I was a supervisor, and still made minimum wage after being promoted, there are no benefits, and we were not allowed to work more then 7 hours a day.
Pros
50% off a 6 inch, (in my franchise), Tips, Meeting People
Cons
minimum wage, repetitive
customer related and productive work place
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
prepping food, cleaning the store, putting away order 2 times a week, serve customers, food safety, washed and sanitized dishes, made food orders and smoothies for customers. the co-workers were very easy to get a long with and most worked as a team. the hardest part of the job was pleasing the customers. the most enjoyable part of the job was when you did please the customers.
Pros
free julius drinks
Cons
complaints
What an average work place should be like
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NB28 December 2016
I have nothing bad to say.
While I worked for this company everything was relatively fair. The only reason I am not rating higher is because the stress level increases with the increase of customers. And some of the customers are unable to understand staff limitations with formulas.

Beyond the customer issues (which obviously varies)
I never had a problem.
Pros
Fair and can be fun
Cons
The occasional over demanding customer
Good food
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON3 January 2017
I worked straight nights preparing all meat and veggies, cleaning equipment, floors and any other surfaces/dishes. I learned to make a good sandwich is to make it exactly to customer specifications. I didn't work with anyone but co-workers seemed friendly. Before company underwent new management it was great, after change went downhill as productivity slowed down. Hardest part was to make sure veggies were prepared, meats were properly weighed and stored, cleaning of all (floors, surfaces, dishes, equipment). I really enjoyed the connection you make with customers after you make them a perfect sandwich and get acknowledged for doing a great job.
Pros
free sub after work, building great relationship with customers.
Cons
only one there during nights.
Need to be highly energenic as it is fast passed environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  South Porcupine, ON2 February 2017
good place to get basics of work ethics, but they need benefits and better salary for the work they ask to be done. They should offer discounts to employees as they are already a high profit organization and competitive wages . at least $14.00 an hour would be a good wage and make the staff reliable and consistent.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
did not receive discount and rude customers
it was interesting
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, AB14 January 2017
In my opinion working at Subway was great at first because the owner was awesome to work for but after he sold the business my work place was ok but no great. I left for personal reasons. Working at Tim Horton's was a good job as well I left because I was pregnant. And as for the rest of my jobs I did my best in working there.
Pros
free meal staff was fun to work with
Cons
not enough days off and long hours
Former Subway Employee
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 January 2017
I enjoyed working at subway. I progressed really fast into a manager. It was a great experience . The environment Is fun and it was for the most part a drama free work environment. There really are a lot of behind the scenes things that you can learn. It is also very fresh, very clean, and very regulated by inspectors. Overall a good work place.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Inconsistent schedules

2.8