Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun work place
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2016
Pros: Free lunch/dinner.
Good place to work for. Provides great learing opportunity. Helps to develop individual skillset. Lets employees interact to clinets which helps to develop language skills as well.
Very stressful
Sandwhich artist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 30, 2016
Pros: Free sub
Cons: We have no time to rest
The relationship between different co-workers are very bad and management can't really do anything about it. Management can not fire the ones that are making trouble for other employees and overall it's so bad.
Stressful and busy.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Dresden, ONApril 30, 2016
Pros: free fountain drinks.
Cons: stressful. barely any training.
Made sandwiches. Preperation. Cleaning. Cash.
I learned the basics.
Co workers were fun.
Hardest part was the fast pace and expecting to know everything after only doing it one time.
Most enjoyable part was just having something to do.
Taking personal responsibility and being positive in work field is crucial.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2016
Pros: Great boss
Cons: less tidy store
Working at a job, of course, does require one to complete the necessary tasks related to one's job, but personally taking responsibility for one's work and have a positive attitude towards the team members not only increases the pleasantness in working environment it also creates a friendly environment guests and customers. One of my memory in working at a fast food restaurant (Subway) is that of my colleague's attitude towards late arrival customers. One evening when we were supposed to close the store at 6:00 P.M, but a customer arrived at 5.45 p.m, I saw the customer (an elderly lady) approaching towards the store and I also noticed that my colleague saw the customer approaching towards us. I was safe-dropping the cash so my colleague had no choice but to serve her. Story short, my colleague did not welcome her properly, in fact my colleague told the customer we were out of bread (which we clearly were not) so the customer ordered a salad instead. As my colleague was making the customer's salad I paid attention that my colleague lacked a positive attitude, instead she was rude to the customer. Finally, the customer reached me (the cashier) but just before that she asked my colleague that she wanted some cookies also to which my colleague said we don't have any cookies (we had cookies. We had everything that a customer wanted). My colleague was not only senior in age to me she was senior in experience also which left me no choice but remaining patient till the customer would have arrived to me to make her payment. When the customer reached me, I looked her in the eye and I – more... told her that I was sorry for the cold welcome she received one of us. I found her the cookies she wanted and I also gave her some discount. I am not sure if I had made the customer happy by telling her that I was sorry and that she deserved a warm welcome, but she had filed a compliant against my colleague the very same evening when she had left the store. The next day my boss asked me about the truth of this event and I objectively described what I had witnessed. – less
fun to work with employees
Owner and Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: bad pay
work is always busy but I enjoy that. Lots of management required from the headquarters because no promotions made it harder to sell but my customer service allowed for higher sales.
productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 27, 2016
I am not sure subway is a big brand and the store i worked was quite decent and i enjoyed working there. good luck to everyone for finding a good job.
Good co-workers, grueling job
Sandwich Artist® (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: Spare time at end during slow days
Cons: Late customers and those that are rude or order for groups
Tight hours without too much leeway unless a lot of seniority, a lot of things to be done against clock that depends on customers. I was the closer, so a lot of this depends on evening workers, which were nice to work with, but slack off. There are no assistant managers, manager only highers for frontline service position and pay. No benefits. Hard to balance demand of shifts with school due to turnover rate of fellow co-workers,
A nice working environment but there is no chance for individuals to be productive.
Food Counter Attendant/ Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Estevan, SKApril 27, 2016
Pros: Paid breaktime and free meal
Cons: No fixed shift
Great company to work for the beginners, Happy to see customers satisfied with what you did. No matter how you work hard for the company there is no compliments and considerations from the owner.
Fun
Excellent customer service (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: Fun
Cons: No benefits
I really enjoyed working here, overall it was a great experience, great coworkers, i had a great boss, and all the customers were really friendly and always tipped! i loved it and miss working there
Fun Workplace, The Owner and People are good.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Lloydminster, ABApril 26, 2016
Pros: Free Launches
Prepare all the product to be sell for the whole day. Interact and get along with your colleague. Provide the good service and give the customer's delightful experience.
Subway overall job summary
Sandwich Artist/ Key Holder (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONApril 25, 2016
Pros: Gaining Further Employment and skills with the company
Cons: min. wage
I learned and grew a lot over the year at subway.
I was responsible for opening the store, as well as closing the store on nights (key holder).
I enjoyed having that responsibility, as well as hours.

What I liked about my job was having many, many regulars come in all the time. It gave me a sense of improvement, always.

Learning new skills and helping is my favourite part about any job.
fun workspace
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2016
Pros: free lunch
Cons: couldn't get more shifts
learning about the people and memorizing their orders to get through things faster and the co workers are great, training was great, managers were fun and helpful at times
Great experience of multitasking
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 23, 2016
Pros: Meeting amazing co-workers and customers, and being able to bring a smile to their faces.
Cons: Not getting as many hours of work as I wanted.
Committed to proving the best food and overall experience to our customers, Subway provided a whole new range of experience for me. A typical day involved preparing food for the day, and cleaning the restaurant and serving food to the customers with a smile, often engaging them in a conversation about the new Star Wars movie or a Jets game. The management was very supportive and there was a constant feedback which helped me improve very quickly. The co-workers were full of friendly advices about everything and often helped me understand things that were new to me. The hardest part of the job was multitasking everything when alone in the restaurant and serve the customers as quickly as possible without seeming to hurry and be fully engaged to serve one person at a time when there was a line. However, I learned to be efficient and composed very quickly, and was appreciated by the regulars who would often continue our conversations whenever they drop by. The most enjoyable park was meeting so many amazing people from different walks of life and talk about things we both love, be it food, hockey, movies or an unusually good weather outside.
Bad Management, Lack of help
Sub Artist (Former Employee), Shediac, NBApril 23, 2016
Pros: Free food
Cons: Management, No help, Being left alone for hours, Lack of communication
Working there from the beginning I was left alone, and had to learn everything on my own, the manager and other workers acted like they had other places to be and this was daily, most of the time you were left to wait on customers by yourself and had lack of help from your ''coworkers''. So many people come and go so you see new faces every week to work with.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a free sub and taking a break from doing everything feeling exhausted.
fun and efficient workplace with awesome staff and management
Team Lead/ Crew Chief (Former Employee), Kirkland, QCApril 22, 2016
After opening the store and performing all opening preparations. The food for the day needs to be prepped and ready before noon. Lunch rush came afterwards where all employees work together as a team to perform their duties as efficiently as possible to give the customer a greater satisfaction for ordering their and the possibility of him/her returning to order again. After the rush and food preparations needed for the evening were completed and the store cleaned for the next group of employees coming in for the evening shift. working at this store teaches discipline and a good level of organization for multi tasking and being efficient as possible. The management was very supportive and fun to work with but firm and made sure that duties were being done properly and efficiently. The most difficult part of the job is performing the tasks of food preparation and cleaning of the store as well as serving customers and not falling behind and doing a very poor job. The most enjoyable part of working at this establishment was the comradery one attained with the other employees and the management of the store which made working and the sometimes very long rushes that much easier because one knew they could count on the others if help was needed.
I turly hated working at that subway
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Grand Bend, ONApril 21, 2016
Pros: half off on subs
Cons: location, Customers
what made it so bad was the location, Grand Bend is busy summer time, we had lines up going out the door and down side-walk. The customers made it worse at times with their unbelievable orders
Fast food Job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 21, 2016
Working for subway is like any other fast food job. Minimum wage, no benefits and everyone is dispensable. All depends on the owner of the specific location.
Great experience
Commis, caissier (Former Employee), Montréal, QCApril 20, 2016
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Very demanding
The only reason I quit that part-time job was because I found a slightly better one. Working there was one of my best experiences so far. The management wasn't great at times since the owner changed and acquired more restaurants during the 2 years I was there. When they set up new rules and really planned to change the way the restaurants were run, the management was great, overall they took care of their employees.
New co-workers were hard to handle sometimes since most had never worked there, but they got the hang of it quickly.
I had fun training new employees in different places for a few months.
I learned to deal with people while I worked at Subway. I learned not to let people get to you when you work personally with customers.
For my second year at Subway I worked mostly alone during the weekend so it was fun having to manage the place alone. I learned to organise myself according to my customers needs and to manage my time when no one is there to watch over you.
cashier/customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: free lunch
In the food industry quality and taste really maters if you have to satisfy your customer you have to provide best service to them.
Sandwich Maker/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Brockville, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: Free Lunches
Typical day includes customer service, food preparation and cash detail. I learned to develop customer service skills, management skills as well as food safety for the customers. I made life long friends with my co-workers and management team. Best part of the job is meeting new people and providing them a quick friendly service.
Headquarters