Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,628 reviews matching the search
The people are great the pay isn't
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
Subway was a great place to learn how to be an employee it teaches you time management skills and forces you to work as a team on the assembly line. The people are very nice and the managers are very forgiving at least where i worked. However the pay is absolutely terrible and very little room for pay raises at least with the owner of my store. the only way to break $20,000 was to become a manager and that was maybe an extra 200 a week for 4 times the responsibility. The best part of the job was becoming good enough that most of the work became a cakewalk whereas the hardest part would definitely be disciplining newer workers.
Pros
employee meals
Cons
Not much room for raises and advancement
fast paced work environment
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC22 March 2017
I was trained to work all positions from bread maker to prep to just front for customer service and a closer.
I learned to work in a fast paced environment. and found ways to work faster and get the job done. prep and bread we are on a time crunch. when I opened I had to do my bread making and also help customers on my own so I had to balance everything out. I sometimes would get a line and it would be just me and I handled the situation well and customers were impressed and happy.
i enjoyed talking with customers and making a great meal for them.
Pros
free lunch 6 inch or a foot long
Cons
we didn't get any raises.
Fast Paced, Energetic Environment
Supervisor (Crew Leader) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 February 2017
subway is one of, if not THE leading sandwich franchises in Ontario, a typical day at work was always fast paced, busy, and fun. Most customers just need a smile to make their day. You must be very vigilant about health codes, and sanitation procedures, as you would be in an environment that if this areas are not monitored closely, you could cause someone to get sick. The hardest part of the job at subway , in my experience, (Some Franchise owners may be different) was the lack of full time hours, and the bare minimum wage. I was a supervisor, and still made minimum wage after being promoted, there are no benefits, and we were not allowed to work more then 7 hours a day.
Pros
50% off a 6 inch, (in my franchise), Tips, Meeting People
Cons
minimum wage, repetitive
Not the greatest
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON3 March 2017
I worked here for a short period before I decided to quit. They go through a lot of employees. Management was horrible. Worked overtime, a lot. People who worked there for years made minimum wage, no raises. And they like to schedule youth for shifts 7pm to 3am. Sometimes I wouldn't get home til 4:30am-5am. Dealt with a lot of drunk people, cleaned a lot of urine on the floor in the bathrooms. Disgusting.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Long hours, cleaning up urine, horrible management, no raises
Fun workplace
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
- I open five days a week from Monday to Friday. I usually arrive work at 5:30am and I start preparing everything for lunch, it is usually busy.
- I learned how to establish a good working relationship with customers, communicate with customers, to be responsible during work, and to be organized and on time for everything.
- I work with my manager everyday, it is very fun to work with her, we do everything as a team work.
- The hardest part of working in subway is doing everything by myself, I come in the morning and start cutting vegetables, preparing meat, baking bread, changing all the containers, and cleaning.
- the most enjoyable part of subway is to interact with different customers, making customers happy with my service; that is our restaurant goal.
Pros
Polite manager, fun to work with my coworkers
Cons
No increasing salary, no benifit
Productive...fast paced...fun
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, AB1 December 2016
It was my second job I had when I was the right age to start working back in the day. Management was good i enjoyed it. I was always opening the store and i would come to work and work with other employers that called and said the other worker was hiding in the back not helping and just eating. I would go and tell the lazy worker to go home and help out whoch i got a raise for doing and was looked at to be a manager at the time.
Pros
U get a free sub to take home at the end of shift
Cons
Lazy workers
Need to be highly energenic as it is fast passed environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  South Porcupine, ON2 February 2017
good place to get basics of work ethics, but they need benefits and better salary for the work they ask to be done. They should offer discounts to employees as they are already a high profit organization and competitive wages . at least $14.00 an hour would be a good wage and make the staff reliable and consistent.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
did not receive discount and rude customers
I never really found true enjoyment
Sandwich artist, Dishwasher, and Janitor (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2017
During the beginning of my time at Subway, it went pretty well, mainly because I had good colleagues to work with, but as time went on, many of those people left the establishment, leaving it with an empty feeling and a lot of boring, unenthusiastic people. I have also had other friends who have worked at Subway, and they expressed they same feelings that I have.
Pros
Free sub every shift
Cons
Bad hours, pay is low, no benifits
didn't agree with
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Devon, AB9 March 2017
Love the people I work with its a fun environment. Whenever I was up for a raise they always gave my manager and I the same answer "you make to much". Worked there for 6yrs with 2 yrs of maternaty leave and only recieved 2 raises. The second raise we only because of minimum wage going up.
Pros
the manager is amazing to work for
Cons
they dont give raises
I liked working with healthy food and customers.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC6 December 2016
I started out as a sandwich maker. I learned the ropes of the business and then advanced to supervisor. Being that I was there for 2.5 years I was given full benefits with dental insurance. Excellent training was provided which instilled confidence in me to proceed to the next level of supervisor.
Pros
training and advancement
Cons
losing good workers to other job placements

Want to know more about Subway?

Ask a question
Great first time job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Palmerston, ON3 December 2016
Very busy and fast paced environment. When a good team is hired on things can be really fun and restaurant can run top notch. Working as a student I received full time during the summer and was able to work in other Subways under same owner. Lots of room for advancement and manager type rolls.
Pros
Good discounts when working, room for advancement
Cons
Salary, no benefits
Clean and relaxing work environment
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 March 2017
Subway provided active work days with sufficient hours and fair pay. A welcoming environment, professional and respectful management, and efficient and simple training.
Pros
Flexible hours, free beverages
Cons
No medical benefits
Terrible
Sandwich Artist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2017
I don't wanna recommend this company, terrible rate at 10/hour, no benefits, terrible schedule for the staff like very short noticed.Sorry, but poor management indeed.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Terrible schedule, the lowest rate among food industries.
productive
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
no employee benefits
co-workers are so helpful
management is so stressful
nice atmosphere to work
I've learned to how to tackle with bad situation in a good way
how to provide good customer service
over all
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 January 2017
i enjoyed all jobs i worked at great staff good management
great work environment. loved location.
sometime working alone was hard but overall a good exsperience
Pros
benefits..... free food when working..at subway
Cons
working alone.....
subway
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 February 2017
not a bad place to work. fast paced. friendly managers and co-workers. I would recommend this for a first time job. there is not too much room for pay raise. but it is a stead income.
fun but a lot of work
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2017
It was a fun job and good co-workers but the salary wasn't worth the job that has to be done to satisfy the manger. The schedule for every week wasn't making sense with the shift leaving and coming in.
Decent
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 March 2017
Fun at starts, gets boring after awhile. Nothing new ever happens same thing day in and day out. No good benefits, very friendly staff welcoming
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
repetitive
busy and interesting
MANAGEMENT/ SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Cobden, ON22 February 2017
A typical day at work would be doing inventory and delivery paperwork.
Making sure all product is made fresh per day and product is stocked in sandwich unit and back up is done.
The most enjoyable part is knowing the customer is happy with their experience.
The management part of my job consisted of making sure all employees were scheduled as requested and all employees followed the proper procedures when prepping food and assisting customers.
Hardest part of the job was having to write a employee up for discipline reasons as this was a small town location.
Pros
free meal
Cons
long hours when people called in sick.
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB7 June 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8