Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,411 reviews matching the search
The people are great the pay isn't
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
Subway was a great place to learn how to be an employee it teaches you time management skills and forces you to work as a team on the assembly line. The people are very nice and the managers are very forgiving at least where i worked. However the pay is absolutely terrible and very little room for pay raises at least with the owner of my store. the only way to break $20,000 was to become a manager and that was maybe an extra 200 a week for 4 times the responsibility. The best part of the job was becoming good enough that most of the work became a cakewalk whereas the hardest part would definitely be disciplining newer workers.
Pros
employee meals
Cons
Not much room for raises and advancement
Productive...fast paced...fun
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, AB1 December 2016
It was my second job I had when I was the right age to start working back in the day. Management was good i enjoyed it. I was always opening the store and i would come to work and work with other employers that called and said the other worker was hiding in the back not helping and just eating. I would go and tell the lazy worker to go home and help out whoch i got a raise for doing and was looked at to be a manager at the time.
Pros
U get a free sub to take home at the end of shift
Cons
Lazy workers
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB7 June 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
Time management and build good relation
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 September 2016
Working in Subway store is great. I learned great skills like time management and build good relation with customer. Winter 2016, it was toughest day for me. Generally in winters store is slow but and i just joined subway before 2 month and that day i saw suddenly i had 9 customer standing in queue. So i speed up and they all knew that i was new there so they encourage me and some of them had big order. But i finished all orders and at the end when i checked the system it was showing that i made 29 sandwiches in one hour by my self only. At that time i realize that if you truly believe in your self that everything is possible. So always work hard.
Pros
Free Cookies
Hectic, un-organized, and mis-managed
sandwhich artist (Former Employee) –  Eastern Passage, NS15 July 2016
While working here, i had long hours by myself at night, with next to no security system in the building. Co-workers were nice and helpful, very much team-players, but were all of similar opinions for the work environment. very un-organized and hectic shifts, as often times you would be left by yourself to serve all customers on a busy closing shift, while being expected to clean the store and finish closing jobs by yourself before the end of your shift. management is also very passive aggressive, and lazy to address problems until last possible minute.
Pros
Free food, and flexible hours
Cons
uncaring management, un-steady hours, hectic and unorganized
productive
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
no employee benefits
co-workers are so helpful
management is so stressful
nice atmosphere to work
I've learned to how to tackle with bad situation in a good way
how to provide good customer service
Make sandwiches and interact with people who want to buy food.
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  St.-Lazare, QC26 September 2016
Typical day at work would consist of cleaning the store, preparing food for the days work and making sandwiches for people wanting to buy Subway, Co-workers were high school students like me at the time. the job was engaging, not a lot of downtime and generally fun. management was nice and very sympathetic to personal needs and basic human needs.
Pros
discounted food for employees
Cons
long hours on your feet sometimes
it was a good beginner job
Customer service reapresentative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 May 2016
working at subway was a good beginner job .there were no benefits long hours with minimal breaks .best part of my job was getting to interact with the customers and my co -workers .Management was iffy .manager never listened to employees and what hours they could work always did what was beneficial to her and assistant manager.
Pros
great way to get experience, made new friends and learned how to interact with customer from all different walks of life
Cons
long hours not many breaks and no free food
Fun, Enjoy
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON5 November 2016
Very Joyful, Chances to talk with new people, Chance to get fast and furious, Amazing Co workers, Superb Management.Craziest to learn about different cultures of different people. Great feeling doing serving to customers.In this way, I came to know about what is good or bad for health, Cleanliness and most common is the way of talking while serving Customers.
Pros
Free sanwiches
Cons
Far away
Great first time job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Palmerston, ON3 December 2016
Very busy and fast paced environment. When a good team is hired on things can be really fun and restaurant can run top notch. Working as a student I received full time during the summer and was able to work in other Subways under same owner. Lots of room for advancement and manager type rolls.
Pros
Good discounts when working, room for advancement
Cons
Salary, no benefits
loved to work in a team
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 July 2016
loved working at subway. i learned so many things from here so everything good co workers were nice. i worked full time and part-time there. also had a great time with team and management. I worked the night shifts too so we always were busy but loved the people coming in and the smiling conversations we had. Learning baking and a bit more.
- Free food if you worked 5 hrs or more per shift
- Not as hectic
- Very consistent work per shift
- Lots to do, time goes by fast
Pros
free sandwich when working
Cons
long hours with little breaks
Productive workplace, with occasional fun.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Subway Greenbank19 August 2016
A Subways success is determined by the management team, and how the employees are shaped, trained, and taught to perfect subway standard. i learned to do cleaning, and food preparation tasks, to subway standard in a timely manner. Co-workers are always communicating to get closing procedures done, or shortening long lines.
Pros
50% off all food, free fountain drinks
Unrewarding
Sandwich Artist (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, AB3 June 2016
- Hard company to work for.
- Never recognized as a valued employee.
- My coworkers were great for the most part. As with every job there were hard days.
- Hardest part of the job was being told I was never doing good enough. Never getting a raise after the years I was there. I worked there for many years on and off.
- I loved talking with the customers and coworkers that I worked with. Developing the relationship I had with everyone was amazing.
Pros
coworkers, customers
Cons
no raises, certain coworkers getting special treatment
Fun workplace
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
- I open five days a week from Monday to Friday. I usually arrive work at 5:30am and I start preparing everything for lunch, it is usually busy.
- I learned how to establish a good working relationship with customers, communicate with customers, to be responsible during work, and to be organized and on time for everything.
- I work with my manager everyday, it is very fun to work with her, we do everything as a team work.
- The hardest part of working in subway is doing everything by myself, I come in the morning and start cutting vegetables, preparing meat, baking bread, changing all the containers, and cleaning.
- the most enjoyable part of subway is to interact with different customers, making customers happy with my service; that is our restaurant goal.
Pros
Polite manager, fun to work with my coworkers
Cons
No increasing salary, no benifit
productive and fun workplace
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 October 2016
a typical day at work consists of washing dishes, cleaning the oven, sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, taking out garbage and recycling, preparing food, taking customers, cashier, counting inventory and making bread.
i learned time managment while balancing school and working this job. i learned a good work ethic i help out with more than asked for and stay late at work when needed i work hard for the money i get paid. the most enjoyble part of the job is cooking the food and socializing with different customers. my co-workers have taught me team work and sharing the tasks equally.
Pros
flexible
Cons
short shifts
fun work place great people
Senior Sandwich Artist/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Portage place mall1 March 2016
When i worked for subway i enjoyed it very much i worked from 12pm or 1pm to 10:30pm closing time some times i would stay and finish things that needed to be done on my own time just so we could keep up the cleaning part of the store i trained new staff made bread cut veggys stocked shelves dated food products rotated stalk counted inventory and supervised night staff went to other subways if we ran out of products after making it ok with management i was lad off from this job though it happens i also liked the Walmart cards every year and pins i did not like the switching of managers 5 times since i was there i all so did not like that i only had a 5 cent raise for working 6 years and was on call 24hrs because there were only 2 openers for that store and i also did shift work and what we called clokens this is when you close the store and then open the store the next day you just learned to work with no sleep they also gave us Walmart cards and year pins.
Pros
The best thing with working at these kind of jobs was the free lunches or suppers
Cons
Shift work was hard but manageable
Productive and good wprkplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 November 2016
Bake breads and cookies throughout the day.
Wash, peel and cut salads and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
Check food temperatures regularly to ensure safety standard requirements are meet.
Ensure customers’ orders are prepare correctly.
Assist customers with menu questions and concerns.
Handle cash, take phone calls and delivery of supplies.
Open and close store when required.
Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces and utensils.
Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
Coordinate with co- workers.
Pros
Free Lunch
Productive Workplace
TTC Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2016
Very busy day specially the weekends. I have learned the customer experience. My management and co-workers were very nice. Hardest part was to keep standing for long hours.
Job Security
Shift Manager & Senior Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 October 2016
if your student subway is best place for part time work, life Balance and Job Security is best. however salary and benefits are that that great due to minimum wage.
happy and hustle environment
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 April 2016
In my 2 working years at Subway made me a better employee and I learned new things especially in management.

I found the best co-employees anyone you could wish for. We are not only co-workers but we also treat each other as best friends and siblings.

The hardest part of the job, and i can say challenging,is surviving the most busy days and hours with only a very few staff. When i say few it means 2 or 3 person only.

The most enjoyable part is when the management noticed your hardwork and gave you the unexpected compliment.
Pros
free meal
Cons
slow moving up of career

2.8