Subway Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,271 reviews matching the search
loved to work in a team
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 13, 2016
loved working at subway. i learned so many things from here so everything good co workers were nice. i worked full time and part-time there. also had a great time with team and management. I worked the night shifts too so we always were busy but loved the people coming in and the smiling conversations we had. Learning baking and a bit more.
- Free food if you worked 5 hrs or more per shift
- Not as hectic
- Very consistent work per shift
- Lots to do, time goes by fast
Pros
free sandwich when working
Cons
long hours with little breaks
Great Work Experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 3, 2016
working at subway I deal with a lot of customers and that requires a lot of communication and patients, I have learned how to interact with customers, how to keep them happy so they return to our store, and how to handle difficult situations. I am very energetic and enthusiastic, always smiling no matter how the person on the other side of the counter is. The hardest part would be to deal with unhappy customers but even that can be overcome. what I enjoy most about working at subway is that all of my coworkers are friendly and I am great at what I do.
loved the staff
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 7, 2016
i loved the staff i worked with, it was always a fun environment but was very fast paced and were under staffed slightly.
a day would be very busy sometime with only one person working, i learned to work very fast but it was very stressful, the manager was okay but would not always scheduled people in the times they were available. the on thing i loved about this job was the people i got to work with, they were friendly and caring
Pros
free lunch with every shift
Cons
long hours with little breaks
High productivity establishment with a fun workplace environment
Food service and cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONJuly 9, 2016
This subway location was located in a town of 20 000 people (barely any) yet with our team we managed to maintain the position of being rated in the top three subway locations in Ontario for a duration of time, as I no longer live there I am unsure as to its current success rates. Subway offered some of the best training in the fast food industry teaching each employee to handle any task such as cashier baker or food service employee, this was done with the intent to ensure a fully functioning operation with little chance for error.
Pros
free lunch each shift
Hectic, un-organized, and mis-managed
sandwhich artist (Former Employee) –  Eastern Passage, NSJuly 15, 2016
While working here, i had long hours by myself at night, with next to no security system in the building. Co-workers were nice and helpful, very much team-players, but were all of similar opinions for the work environment. very un-organized and hectic shifts, as often times you would be left by yourself to serve all customers on a busy closing shift, while being expected to clean the store and finish closing jobs by yourself before the end of your shift. management is also very passive aggressive, and lazy to address problems until last possible minute.
Pros
Free food, and flexible hours
Cons
uncaring management, un-steady hours, hectic and unorganized
Working for subway can be a very stressful and unappreciated workplace.
Sandwich Artist/Store Closer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 1, 2016
The job in which you are normally tasked to do involves making sandwiches for customers, which for the most part is without issue. However Subways tends to under staff at crucial times leaving the employees with a steady stream of customers to work with while having their duties to the store prevented.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Minimum wage for work which deserves a slightly higher pay
Enjoyable, fast paced environment
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSJune 17, 2016
Duties at this job is the same as other fast food place expectations. Worked in fast paced enviorment, clean utilities Greeted and assisted customers creating a welcoming/friendly environment.
Received customers orders,prepared food/beverages according to specifications. Operated cash register; accepted/processed payments via cash and debit/credit transactions.Disinfected and sanitized kitchen work stations, public areas and washrooms
Ensured all food products were fresh and ready to serve and Prepared serving stations and replenished product. I am a team player, and am able to complete task with coworkers or independently.
Fun place to work with but salary is not competitive
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 7, 2016
Subway First Avenue store is a fun place to work and we have a lot of regular customers that keeps coming back because they said they like our excellent service. One of the things I learned at Subway is that how we manage and lead the store. I can say that the management are working hand in hand to lead and guide their staff. My co workers are amazing and they have a team work especially when we get busy during lunch time. Hardest part of the job maybe if there is a call sick person and nobody can replace her/ his shift. Every single day of my job in Subway was enjoyable.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Not competitive salary
Comfortable work environment
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oxford, NSJuly 4, 2016
Over the past 3 years working at subway I have enjoyed all of it. The staff is always great and acts as a small family. We all have developed problem solving skills and increased our customer service skills. The most stressful part is with making sure everything is as it should be even when its busy, but, with the time management skills that we have learned and developed it is never too much to handle.
Unrewarding
Sandwich Artist (supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, ABJune 3, 2016
- Hard company to work for.
- Never recognized as a valued employee.
- My coworkers were great for the most part. As with every job there were hard days.
- Hardest part of the job was being told I was never doing good enough. Never getting a raise after the years I was there. I worked there for many years on and off.
- I loved talking with the customers and coworkers that I worked with. Developing the relationship I had with everyone was amazing.
Pros
coworkers, customers
Cons
no raises, certain coworkers getting special treatment
Great place to gain customer service experience
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
I appreciated the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment where I could interact with new faces on a daily basis. I learned a lot about customer service skills and how to respond to difficult customers/situations. I also learned how to multi-task.The hardest part of the job was being the only employee in the store at times; it can be challenging to cover the positions of a sandwich maker and cashier when there are multiple customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the familiar faces of regular customers, and knowing exactly how to respond to their order of "the usual".
Pros
Flexible hours, long shifts
Cons
Being the only employee in the store for a couple of hours at night
Productive and beneficial workplace,
Employee (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 20, 2016
I worked at subway for almost 2 years.It was great experience for me to deal with different type of customer.when i first started i loved this job, it was a good learning experience for people skills and customer service, i got along great with my managers i was one of the top shift leads beside my two managers, i always worked with a good crew, and the part i liked the most about working here was just getting to know all different kinds of people.
Pros
Great training, faced-paced, and energetic environment.
Cons
Always depends on the franchise, short breaks, no overtime
cooperative co workers
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 22, 2016
Working at subway seems easy job for everyone,though its little hectic when there is a line up in front of your little eyes ;)At subway we gotta be little more fast than average,cause we get only one minute to serve each customer.Our subway was located at busy location in the centre of city.Though with the co-operative staff and management,I enjoyed every moment working there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
work load because of busy hours
productive and a nice place to work
Food counter attendant (Current Employee) –  Hinton, ABMay 13, 2016
though its always busy every one managed to smile ,greeting customers and give the best to serve them,every body is cooperative and willing to help each other.in this job i enhance my flexibility,good customer service and supervisory skills.its really enjoyable working here especially when it gets really busy and things are done because everybody cooperate.i also learned how to prepare foods and baking bread,worked in a fast paced environment and my communication skills enhanced too.
fast past, fun to work, great team
Sandwich artist (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ONMay 11, 2016
Typical day, go in and get ready with team members for diner rush, clean organize,
i have learned how to work as a team to make serving customers easy and as efficient as possible.
management is good, easy to work with and talk to
hardest part is working alone when its busy, after a certain time i am the only person working and when its busy it can get overwhelming. But i have been able to handle it and found ways to make it easier.
Most enjoyable part is knowing that i made a good meal for the customers and they are happy with the service i and the team gave them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
working alone can be stressful
Subway
Sandwich Artist & Store Opener/ Closer (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ONJune 23, 2016
• Preparing the store by opening the facility, created and balancing cash float, prepared food based on sale volumes
• Obtained a strong knowledge of store policy and procedures
• Provided to customer service by responding to client inquiries and complaints
• Ensured timely submission of time sheet of personal time sheets and that of team
• Secured facility at end of shift
Made lot of corporate clients, Independent and Challenging
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 20, 2016
Things What I Learned

Time Management is one man element at work. Being Punctual at work will not only looks professional also gain respects from Team and managers.

Multi -tasking is very important thing that i have learned one hand think about the business, other hand receive customer and understand theirs needs, ready to involve any work beyond if it is needed. Focusing on primary job which am doing and side by side plan and organize things which is yet to finish.

Learned about debit and credit cards processing various other cards which are related to finance , and cash receipts. ability to handle cash and cheques and other office work related to paying bills and receiving income
Pros
Responsible in dealing CASH
Cons
perfection
food service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, ONMay 30, 2016
• Greet customers, take their order, and process transactions as a cashier using cash, debit, and credit
• The ability to effectively communicate and serve customers in a timely manner
• Reduces food waste through tracking average daily sales of food, drinks and cookies.
• Cleans and maintains all areas of the restaurant to promote a clean image
• Prepares sandwiches neatly accordingly to formula and in quick and timely manner
• Computer skills: MS office, internet and email applications
• Strong customer service skills, with the ability to diffuse difficult situations, Positive, highly disciplined, and hardworking
• Outgoing, friendly and cheerful Subway Sandwich Artist knows that customers make the business, believes in delivering high-quality sandwiches and cookies every time.
enjoyable work environment,learnt customer service skills, flexible work schedule,
FOOD SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 18, 2016
i have gained my customer service skills as well as communication skills. I also learnt how to handle difficult situations with calm mind such as an angry customer or work load.My experience with co-workers and management was great . All co-workers were very helpful and always there to help each other out in tough timeThe hardest part of the job was to order supplies according to the demand but it is hard to estimate demand of food because the number changes every week.the most enjoyable part was interacting with people from different backgrounds and learning and speaking new languages with people.
Pros
free lunch, free movie and game tickets, free transportation passes
Cons
long schedule hours
it was a good beginner job
Customer service reapresentative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 2, 2016
working at subway was a good beginner job .there were no benefits long hours with minimal breaks .best part of my job was getting to interact with the customers and my co -workers .Management was iffy .manager never listened to employees and what hours they could work always did what was beneficial to her and assistant manager.
Pros
great way to get experience, made new friends and learned how to interact with customer from all different walks of life
Cons
long hours not many breaks and no free food

2.8