Subway Employee Reviews

Found 1,630 reviews matching the search
fast paced work environment
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC22 March 2017
I was trained to work all positions from bread maker to prep to just front for customer service and a closer.
I learned to work in a fast paced environment. and found ways to work faster and get the job done. prep and bread we are on a time crunch. when I opened I had to do my bread making and also help customers on my own so I had to balance everything out. I sometimes would get a line and it would be just me and I handled the situation well and customers were impressed and happy.
i enjoyed talking with customers and making a great meal for them.
Pros
free lunch 6 inch or a foot long
Cons
we didn't get any raises.
Not the greatest
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON3 March 2017
I worked here for a short period before I decided to quit. They go through a lot of employees. Management was horrible. Worked overtime, a lot. People who worked there for years made minimum wage, no raises. And they like to schedule youth for shifts 7pm to 3am. Sometimes I wouldn't get home til 4:30am-5am. Dealt with a lot of drunk people, cleaned a lot of urine on the floor in the bathrooms. Disgusting.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Long hours, cleaning up urine, horrible management, no raises
great work experience
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2017
Always busy helped with kitchen prep in mornings, then served customers their orders. Mixed drinks. I learned how to multi task more efficiently and quickly. My supervisor was quite accomadating and willing to train me when required. My co-workers were more like family. The hardest part of the job was helping my guests who had had to many drinks find safe ways home. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the different clientele that would come in depending on the season
A Good start
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 February 2017
I believe Subway like Mcdonalds is a establishment that targets its employment towards the youth, I believe that they are excellent in providing the basics of what a job is, it also teaches great lessons like money management and customer service, which is huge in most fields, Subway provides a good foundation for beginners starting in the work force or kids who are attending school, it is not a high stressed job and it allows for employees to develop skills for the future.
Pros
Learning Experience while earning a wage
Cons
Depending on locations Management can be terrible.
busy and interesting
MANAGEMENT/ SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Cobden, ON22 February 2017
A typical day at work would be doing inventory and delivery paperwork.
Making sure all product is made fresh per day and product is stocked in sandwich unit and back up is done.
The most enjoyable part is knowing the customer is happy with their experience.
The management part of my job consisted of making sure all employees were scheduled as requested and all employees followed the proper procedures when prepping food and assisting customers.
Hardest part of the job was having to write a employee up for discipline reasons as this was a small town location.
Pros
free meal
Cons
long hours when people called in sick.
Fun and productive workplace which gives you freedom in your work
Sandwich Artist & Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 March 2017
Overall it was a very good experience at Subway, as it was my first job where I get to know much about how to serve the customers and how to communicate and behave with them and inside a workplace. I learned to manage to finish my work with time and was successful.

As I was new the hardest part at Subway was to close the store during early days but over the time I was able to close on time everyday.

The part where I enjoyed the most was to interact with customers and serve them accordingly. It gives a sense of satisfaction by successfully serving a customer.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Easy to stay busy, good environment
Dallas Kamloops - Food Prep/Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 February 2017
* Had a chore list to follow everyday - must finish every task given
* Daily goals to reach - follow up with manager
* Learned how to keep things organized (chores, food prep, receipts, tips, cash, etc.)
* Learning cash was very important (Lots of responsibility)
* Hardest part of the job was to make sure everything was counted precisely, and organized to the managers standards. (Money)
* ( Dallas subway has a cafe ) Enjoyed making drinks, iced and hot.
Pros
Discount, and reasonably easy tasks
Cons
Not very flexible hours
I never really found true enjoyment
Sandwich artist, Dishwasher, and Janitor (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2017
During the beginning of my time at Subway, it went pretty well, mainly because I had good colleagues to work with, but as time went on, many of those people left the establishment, leaving it with an empty feeling and a lot of boring, unenthusiastic people. I have also had other friends who have worked at Subway, and they expressed they same feelings that I have.
Pros
Free sub every shift
Cons
Bad hours, pay is low, no benifits
I enjoyed every minute of having my own store to run!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2017
Great environment to work in! I had many tasks as a manager! I feel the hardest part of the job was making sure I had the best staff to accommodate what I needed. Strong work ethic and a great mind set always helped. Most enjoyable part was watching my Subway grow into something much bigger than it was when I took over!!
Pros
Being able to run my business and have the confidence to strive and reach my goals
Cons
Moving from my North Bay store to an Ottawa store!
You're always busy, always something to do eg. restocking food, cleaning the area, customers
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 February 2017
Come in with smiling faces, it's usually slow during the morning especially during the winter. Always smells nice since you're surrounded by food. Poor communication with manager, overall working hours are low due to manager calling me whenever she pleases. Learned how to properly make a sandwich, communicate and greet customers. Coworkers are friendly
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short notice to work
Good place
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 March 2017
Used operational tools to achieve operational excellence in the store.
Ensured adherence to Subway corporate’s compliance standards, with particular focus on those standards relating to food safety.
Solicited customer feedback to understand customer needs and the needs of the community.
Stock and label merchandise in an organized manner
Received, stored and distributed goods
Received, unloaded and unpacked merchandise
Decent Entry Job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 February 2017
Its a good place to start working. The tasks are simple enough that it gives you confidence and an understanding of working with others, for others. It's a lot of fun when you have a good team to work with and things go by very quick and smoothly when lunch times hits. I would say that some management could use some tweaking. The hardest part of the job I would say is not having a designated lunch break at all. Best part, working in a team and when regular customers would come in.
Pros
Free 6in Sub
Cons
No lunch breaks, Low wage
Easy job, however; very unprofessional boss.
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Oakland, ON6 February 2017
Decent hours, and great coworkers. But the boss expects you to work the Esso Staion, the Subway and the Pizza Pizza at the same time. My work experience is I was working 13 hours a day and 6 days a week only because I refused to work the 7th day. They asked me to skip high school to come in for shifts, threatened to fire me when i wouldn't and because I am female my boss claimed I didn't deserve a lunch break and I should be lucky to have a job at all. I would never go back.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Very unprofessional employer
Enjoyed the smell of fresh cookies and bread and meeting customers
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 March 2017
Teamwork with other employees to successfully complete the day. Communicate and satisfy regard and new customers. Maintain a clean and safe environment. The employees and the manager are wonderful. I improved my multitasking, communication and food preparation skills. I also learnt how to close the restaurant; cash handling, product counting, cleaning and data entry.
very good
Manager (Current Employee) –  quinte west1 February 2017
I open the store and count the inventory as well as cash. Baking of the bread and cookies are next as well as preperation of meat and vegetables for the daily anticapated sales. I tend to customers needs and all day preparing sandwiches to their liking. The closing at night I clean the entire store and close the days business while depositing the cash for the day. On Tuesday I do an inventory of the entire store, order inwentory for the next weeks business and also have to do the payroll for the week.
Pros
make my own schedule
Cons
very long hours
All in all i am a totally experience person about customer services so i can easily do any job of customer service.
Part time worker and customer services (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON24 February 2017
Subway is a very good place to work but 800$ per month i can not afford i need earn more cz m a student currently. The atmosphere of subway i very cool and nice because the customer who come there are very good nature also they give us tips many times.
Pros
I get free lunches
Cons
They give me more hours as much as i ask.
working at subway is like a usual business
Sandwich Artist and Cashier (Former Employee) –  calgary28 January 2017
theres a lot of regular customers in every morning that will talk and will give you a tiny conversation to them and you will be comfortable to them not because there not only friendly they also understand you. the hardest part or day is just the friday because the management reducing/cutting hours so there is only 2 person specially in lunch time. but the thing you can still enjoy it the way how they treat there co-workers.
Pros
theres a free lunch and the owner pays our break.
Cons
every fridays is usually busy and the owner is cutting hours theres 2 person only
Fun and an educating place to learn and work and is acutally fun to do so.
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2017
My total experience until now is totally fun because I love the people there. My manager and the co-workers are very nice and I get to learn new things everyday. The environment there is very adaptable, means no one will have problem in blending in there. We care about each other. This cheerful environment is also very good for the customers.
Pros
Free meal, nice schedule.
Cons
nothing
Fast Paced, Energetic Environment
Supervisor (Crew Leader) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 February 2017
subway is one of, if not THE leading sandwich franchises in Ontario, a typical day at work was always fast paced, busy, and fun. Most customers just need a smile to make their day. You must be very vigilant about health codes, and sanitation procedures, as you would be in an environment that if this areas are not monitored closely, you could cause someone to get sick. The hardest part of the job at subway , in my experience, (Some Franchise owners may be different) was the lack of full time hours, and the bare minimum wage. I was a supervisor, and still made minimum wage after being promoted, there are no benefits, and we were not allowed to work more then 7 hours a day.
Pros
50% off a 6 inch, (in my franchise), Tips, Meeting People
Cons
minimum wage, repetitive
Easy and good training ground store.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2017
Subway is my first job when I and my family came here in Canada. it is pleasant to meet different people every day, I learned a lot of things with the store, more importantly how to give your best shot in working as a team. I am glad that I worked with people who are good trainers and mentors they taught me every detail how to work and sometimes manage the store when our manager is sick. my co- workers are also nice and cooperative in our tasks, they all become my friends. the hardest part is handling people's rudeness but in most cases tolerable. I enjoyed my work because I am inspired because of my family.
Pros
Free lunch and drinks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8