Stz’uminus Education Department is seeking a
English Language Arts Teacher
Grades 4-8 - 1.0 Appointment
The Teachers duties are to provide instruction, supervision and educational services as assigned, and to also provide extra-curricular services. Candidates must have formal training and teaching experience at the Primary level. Teacher will be responsible for planning and implementing a program to teach young children and to ensure the development and safety of all students in accordance with relevant legislation and policies.
Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Working knowledge of the British Columbia Curriculum.
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
- Able to plan, organize and maintain student records effectively.
- Able to lead, motivate, encourage and empower students.
- Be computer literate with special knowledge of educational applications and functions.
- Experience in working with First Nations Students and communities
- Ability and commitment to work co-operatively and effectively with other educators in a collegial team setting.
- Current knowledge and recent successful experience in planning and teaching a strong primary programs.
- Demonstrated ability and experience to plan, teach, differentiate and assess an educational program building on the goals and outcomes of ministry curricula.
- Proven ability to teach emergent literacy skills through “best practice” strategies.
- Competency in digital literacy including the ability to integrate technology into curriculum;
- A willingness to develop in collaboration with colleagues an inquiry-based approach to learning.
- Strong classroom management skills given the students’ social and emotional needs as well as the anticipated dynamic of these classes;
- Familiarity with programs such ‘Guided Reading’ and other resources and practices to support our school goals of enhancing student learning;
- Knowledge of Hulquminum and willing to learn and teach Hulquminum.
- Bachelor degree in education required
- Member in good standing with the British Columbia College of Teachers & Ministry of Education.
- Minimum three years experience with this age group is preferred.
Application: Submit a resume, cover letter and the names of three (3) references to:
Michel Woolner, Human Resources Advisor
Stz’uminus First Nation
12611 A Trans Canada Highway
Ladysmith, BC V9G 1M5
Applicants are asked to apply based on the options above, phone calls will not be accepted.
Appointment commences: August 26th, 2013
Closing date for Applications: August 9th, 2013 by 4 pm.
This position is open to all qualified applicants & only those shortlisted will be notified.
MUST be available for an interview on the following dates: August 14th & 21st, 2013.