- Accountable for hiring decisions, performance management process, compensation recommendations and developmental plans for department staff members;
- Manage department staff aiming for consistent improvement in their ability to successfully service customers, gain efficiencies and meet department goals;
- Develop department goals to align with Corporate priorities;
- Direct the completion of all programs outlined in the annual department business plan and report outcomes to the General Manager, and where appropriate, the Agricultural Service Board;
- Develop, monitor and report department service levels utilizing appropriate systems;
- Recommend new programs or program improvements, prepare applicable policies and procedures, and submit to the General Manager of Municipal Services for approval;
- Serve as an appointed inspector under the Agricultural Service Board Act, Weed Control Act, Agricultural Pests Act and Soil Conservation Act;
- Ensure that department activities are adequately resourced by preparing, monitoring and controlling the annual department budget; propose service enhancements when required;
- Represent the interests of Sturgeon County in the ‘Highway Two Conservation Partnership’ by serving on the Board of Directors;
- Work with the Agriculture Services Board to develop strategies, initiatives and programs aimed at achieving the Boards’ mandate. Attend meetings and implement initiatives and complete requests, as requested by the Board;
- Respond to public inquiries and complaints, while maintaining good public relations;
- Develop, coordinate and monitor the solid waste programs in Sturgeon County;
- Provide advice and guidance to other Sturgeon County departments regarding agricultural matters;
- Ensure that the Agriculture Services department meets all of its legislated obligations under the Explosives Act, the Wildlife Act, the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, the Pest Control Products Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any other federal and provincial legislation that regulates activities performed by the Agriculture Services Department;
- Ensure that the Agriculture Service department adequately manages records, electronic documents and information according to the Sturgeon County Records and Information Management System;
- Follow the Sturgeon County Health & Safety Management System guidelines and adhere to the Managers’ Responsibilities and Accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Safety Management System; and
- Perform other duties as required.
- This position requires a diploma or bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or related discipline from a post-secondary education institution with five years’ supervisory experience.
- Five years or more experience in the Municipal Government Agricultures Field.
- Certification as an Agricultural Fieldmen through the Alberta Association of Agricultural Fieldmen
(or the ability to obtain).
- Pesticide Applicator License - Industrial, Agriculture and Landscape classes.
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract and a criminal records check will be required before commencement of employment.
- Knowledge of budgeting practices.
Competition Number: # 63-2013
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Rate of Pay: $98,232 - $129,267
Hours of Work: May to Oct: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 40 hrs/week, Monday to Friday Nov to April: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30., 35 hrs/week, Monday to Friday
Competition Closing Date: August 30, 2013 at 4 p.m.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in Sturgeon County; however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For more information please visit www.sturgeoncounty.ca
Sturgeon County is a diverse, active community that pioneers opportunities and promotes
initiative while embracing rural lifestyles....