Student Works Painting Employee Reviews

unreliable hours and let go with a month of summer left due to poor franchisee
Labourer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 August 2017
I worked nights for over a month and did not receive the same pay as my male employees. I was laid off with a month left of summer with no notice to find other employment or valid reason for loosing my job. The hours were unreliable and a group of guys hired much later in the summer were given the last few weeks of work over my crew mate and I who had stuck it out for months before. Overall a negative experience and would hate to see another young student get robbed of a reliable summer income.
Best Job Experience
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 August 2017
Student Works is the most amazing experience in a job I have ever had. The other operators and the District Managers are super supportive and helpful. I have enhanced my skills in business, personal life, communication skills, organization, sales/marketing skills and managing employees. You make tons of money and great friendships.
Pros
Experience, Friendships, Support and Pay/Wage/Salary
Cons
lots of working hours but WORTH IT
Trampoline into your future success
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
Student Works Painting will teach you both how to work hard and be successful and who you are in the world. The position puts immense stress on you and it will challenge you. When you come out the other side you will be a changed person. You will be able to tackle your biggest challenges and be who you want to be. Work with student works if you are committed to yourself.
Lots of hard work
Painter (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 July 2017
In doing this job, you have to be motivated, and be able to work well with people. It is a lot of hard work, and really tiring. It is an asset to have a car and not rely on public transportation.

You will need to being lots of water everyday, and be prepared to work at heights. Make sure to bring lots of sunblock, and a good lunch.

The worst part of the job is that you will being working long hours and you have to go door to door to try and make sales.
Pros
Tips, working outside, work with good people
Cons
Long hours, heat, laborious, door to door
Disorganized
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
Managers are very positive and supportive students but inexperienced. Results in a chaotic and disorganized work environment . The wage is definitely not worth it.
Prepare for lost wages and a giant headache
Painter (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove9 June 2017
The first red flag was being told we would not get paid for the training we attended. I was promised one project a week and I did not hear from my boss until two weeks after training. No email or text responses. My online schedule revealed I was given 3 projects for the next month.

Student works pays a piece rate. This means that a project is expected to get completed in a set amount of hours. If you finish early or take longer than expected, the pay remains the same. This was not a problem for me because I am an experienced painter. After my first project I asked my boss how much I would be paid for it. I also took pictures of the documents he provided us, outlining the project. If you decide to work for student works document all that you can! This saved my butt.

After my first shift, our pay day was changed multiple times. Excuses included "I am going away for the long weekend, so I will pay you Monday" and "I forgot to submit the hours to head office". Finally, I contacted the labour board who encouraged me to file a report. As required, I notified my boss of this process.

After this, a second shift was cancelled with no notice. My boss did not email or contact me. I just never heard back from him even though his texts registered as read. Two days after his most recent "expected pay date", he told me I could pick up my paycheque and sent me to an address with nobody home. Then he continued to ignore emails and texts for two days.

Finally, I wrote an angry google review and heard from head office. My boss immediately met me and dropped off my paycheque which
  more... was short. Turns out, I had been paid out for the exact number of hours I had worked. I soon got a call from someone higher up in the company to follow up. When I explained my hours, I was told that I misunderstood piece work. By revealing my documents and explaining that I had submitted them to the labor board I was finally paid out for the whole project, my training, and the cancelled shifts.

Head office is very unprofessional and sleazy for lack of a better word. Many excuses were made for my boss during the phone calls with management. The response to the review online mentioned that "There is no need to resort to social media at the expense of Student Works and especially all the other student business owners close to you". Head office repeatedly exploits students by using them as a ethical token when at the end of the day, they can make less than 10% of a very expensive project.

Student works asked me more than once to removed my online review which I did not. I asked that they instead follow up with my coworkers and compensate for their loss wages. As of today, this has still not happened.

This is my experience. I am sure you could be lucky enough to get a good boss who pays you well. Remember to take a picture of all project documentation or you have no way to prove what they promised to pay you.
Pros
work with cool people
Cons
unprofessional, labour board disputes, inconsistent hours, bad head office
Fun Job- Unprofessional Management
Painter (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 May 2017
Getting hired as a painter at student works was a job unlike any I ever had.

I made awesome friendships with my crew, had a lot of fun meeting different families and people, enjoyed doing the jobs I was assigned, however the company itself focuses only on benefiting management.

I learned some valuable skills that I can use for hand-work jobs possibly, but if I could do it over again I would have picked a more professional company that benefits their labourers better.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Bad Pay
As an Owner Operator this is the best job I've ever had.
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Ontario17 May 2017
To start, you should not consider this position if you are not willing to take on the toughest job of your life so far. At first the initial training is overwhelming and there isn't a chance you'll remember everything. The hours needed to be truly successful are long and it isn't always easy work. However, the entire time you have a mentor who coaches you and continues to push you past the limits of what you thought you could do. They reinforce your training and overtime can become a close friend. The company culture is amazing with a huge group of incredibly hard working students who are all going through the same types of challenges as you. This makes the experience easier as you realize you are not going through this tremendously difficult journey alone. Finally, the reward at the end of your summer with Student Works is amazing. If you've worked hard, you'll make more money than all your other friends at their summer jobs. You can even earn a trip to the Caribbean at the end of the summer with all the other high performers. This opportunity is for hopeful entrepreneurs who want a look at what running your own successful business really looks like. At the end of the whole thing this was the most personally rewarding experience I've ever had in my entire life. In the short amount of time I've worked with Student Works I feel as though I've learned more than I did in my entire career at school. The only way I could see someone saying something negative about Student Works is if they were not truly willing to put in the work.
Pros
Amazingly rewarding.
Cons
A lot of hard work.
Owner and Operator
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 May 2017
Expensive to start, to be honest. As much as they keep emphasizing that it is much less inexpensive compared to other franchises out there. It is not true because SWP is not a legal franchise, it simply operates like one. They have a really poor management, meaning the coaches or so called DM are not able to help you in any way besides emphasizing that you must hit your target goal. Also, they are really bad at assigning territories for their operators (Trust me you know what I mean or You'll know what I mean eventually). The company does not Pay for the events that they organize all must come out of your pocket... As for the training, they bombard you with massive information for 2 days and expect you to implement it ASAP ... sadly it does not work that way. As for the painting training... Seriously ... They can even provide a proper paint training ...
Pros
Business experience
Cons
Pay, long hours, unrealistic goals, training
fun
Sales Representative/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2017
OMG so much fun I love it. Indeed makes me write this review though so it is kind of unfair to force me to write a review. Like so not fair. anyway. whatever.

Want to know more about Student Works Painting?

Ask a question
Fun job with great people. Lacks managment.
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 May 2017
The work was great and the people who i worked with were amazing. I loved the work and the clients. Was not given what i was promised. Poor management. Management cared more about the money than the quality.
Pros
Great people. Great work.
Cons
Managment did not care about product only the money.
It all depends on your manager
Painter (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON10 May 2017
My manager was very lenient on safety procedures. Although we all went through all of the safety training, when it come to implementing them on a job site, he rarely made sure that we were as safe as we could be. He didn't keep track of hours and so this created a lot of confusion at the end of the work period.
Productive and fun to work with others
Painter (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB6 May 2017
The work was labor intensive requiring a lot of time spent on hands and knees or looking up and stretching while painting, but overall was fun work, especially with everyone else in the team creating a very positive work environment.
Great first job for students
Marketing Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 April 2017
This company offers great experience for students in need of a first job. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement in both the marketing and painting fields, and you will be working with a team of like-minded students who are happy to help.
A great opportunity to run your own business, but it has its flaws
Franchisee/ Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
The royalties are too high for the amount of effort put in by the franchisee. Despite the large pay cut, the money is still good and the friends you make are a great benefit. In the end, it looks great on a resume and opens many doors.
Pros
Great staff
Fun and stimulating work environment focused on quality of work
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
Student Works is a great company providing students with secure summer job opportunities while they are out of school. The workplace was always accepting and encouraged employees to teach each other and learn to be the best painters they could be. The employees and managers were always respectful and communicative, and every job was completed on time or sooner, and always met the clients expectation of quality. The pay rate was dictated by the speed of work completion. You are paid per job, not by the hour, so the harder and faster you work, the more you will make. However, every completed project is inspected by every painter, the site manager, and the client before being approved as being completed.
Pros
Fun work environment and the ability to dictate how much you make by how hard you work
Cons
Weather dependent (i.e. cannot work in the rain, therefore cannot finish work for pay)
manual labour, previous painting ability is an asset
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Magog, QC27 February 2017
Billingualism is a must.
Must be in good shape.
Most enjoyable is working outside and getting some fresh air.
opportunity to earn more if one works hard enough
Previous painting skills and experience/training is key.
Robbed
Painter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2017
Was assured that even in piece work I would at the very minimum be paid for my hours. By the end of the summer I had worked over 500 hours that I was not paid for.
Not impressed with management, but decent wage
Painter (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 February 2017
Management was terrible; from a 5th year BCOM student I expected better:
- training was not sufficient
- they were not specific on instructions
- dangerous jobs were expected to be completed(involving painting around a live electrical wire while on a 12 ft ladder)
Pros
Wage
Cons
Worst management I have ever experienced
Exhilerating way to improve your qualities and develope new ones
Operator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
SWP offers students the opportunity to be young entrepreneurs and gives them the training, coaching and backup to do so. The work is hard but the payoff is huge. The environment is amazing and the social events are a blast. The people who are saying that it is a scam are people who werent willing to put in the amount of work that they were clearly warned about in the selection process
Pros
Money, connections, self improvement
Cons
Hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works Painting. Our community is ready to answer.

Student Works Painting Reviews by Location