Student Works Painting Employee Reviews

As an Owner Operator this is the best job I've ever had.
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Ontario17 May 2017
To start, you should not consider this position if you are not willing to take on the toughest job of your life so far. At first the initial training is overwhelming and there isn't a chance you'll remember everything. The hours needed to be truly successful are long and it isn't always easy work. However, the entire time you have a mentor who coaches you and continues to push you past the limits of what you thought you could do. They reinforce your training and overtime can become a close friend. The company culture is amazing with a huge group of incredibly hard working students who are all going through the same types of challenges as you. This makes the experience easier as you realize you are not going through this tremendously difficult journey alone. Finally, the reward at the end of your summer with Student Works is amazing. If you've worked hard, you'll make more money than all your other friends at their summer jobs. You can even earn a trip to the Caribbean at the end of the summer with all the other high performers. This opportunity is for hopeful entrepreneurs who want a look at what running your own successful business really looks like. At the end of the whole thing this was the most personally rewarding experience I've ever had in my entire life. In the short amount of time I've worked with Student Works I feel as though I've learned more than I did in my entire career at school. The only way I could see someone saying something negative about Student Works is if they were not truly willing to put in the work.
Pros
Amazingly rewarding.
Cons
A lot of hard work.
Owner and Operator
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 May 2017
Expensive to start, to be honest. As much as they keep emphasizing that it is much less inexpensive compared to other franchises out there. It is not true because SWP is not a legal franchise, it simply operates like one. They have a really poor management, meaning the coaches or so called DM are not able to help you in any way besides emphasizing that you must hit your target goal. Also, they are really bad at assigning territories for their operators (Trust me you know what I mean or You'll know what I mean eventually). The company does not Pay for the events that they organize all must come out of your pocket... As for the training, they bombard you with massive information for 2 days and expect you to implement it ASAP ... sadly it does not work that way. As for the painting training... Seriously ... They can even provide a proper paint training ...
Pros
Business experience
Cons
Pay, long hours, unrealistic goals, training
fun
Sales Representative/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2017
OMG so much fun I love it. Indeed makes me write this review though so it is kind of unfair to force me to write a review. Like so not fair. anyway. whatever.
It all depends on your manager
Painter (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON10 May 2017
My manager was very lenient on safety procedures. Although we all went through all of the safety training, when it come to implementing them on a job site, he rarely made sure that we were as safe as we could be. He didn't keep track of hours and so this created a lot of confusion at the end of the work period.
Productive and fun to work with others
Painter (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB6 May 2017
The work was labor intensive requiring a lot of time spent on hands and knees or looking up and stretching while painting, but overall was fun work, especially with everyone else in the team creating a very positive work environment.
Great first job for students
Marketing Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 April 2017
This company offers great experience for students in need of a first job. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement in both the marketing and painting fields, and you will be working with a team of like-minded students who are happy to help.
A great opportunity to run your own business, but it has its flaws
Franchisee/ Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
The royalties are too high for the amount of effort put in by the franchisee. Despite the large pay cut, the money is still good and the friends you make are a great benefit. In the end, it looks great on a resume and opens many doors.
Pros
Great staff
Fun and stimulating work environment focused on quality of work
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
Student Works is a great company providing students with secure summer job opportunities while they are out of school. The workplace was always accepting and encouraged employees to teach each other and learn to be the best painters they could be. The employees and managers were always respectful and communicative, and every job was completed on time or sooner, and always met the clients expectation of quality. The pay rate was dictated by the speed of work completion. You are paid per job, not by the hour, so the harder and faster you work, the more you will make. However, every completed project is inspected by every painter, the site manager, and the client before being approved as being completed.
Pros
Fun work environment and the ability to dictate how much you make by how hard you work
Cons
Weather dependent (i.e. cannot work in the rain, therefore cannot finish work for pay)
manual labour, previous painting ability is an asset
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Magog, QC27 February 2017
Billingualism is a must.
Must be in good shape.
Most enjoyable is working outside and getting some fresh air.
opportunity to earn more if one works hard enough
Previous painting skills and experience/training is key.
Robbed
Painter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2017
Was assured that even in piece work I would at the very minimum be paid for my hours. By the end of the summer I had worked over 500 hours that I was not paid for.
Not impressed with management, but decent wage
Painter (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 February 2017
Management was terrible; from a 5th year BCOM student I expected better:
- training was not sufficient
- they were not specific on instructions
- dangerous jobs were expected to be completed(involving painting around a live electrical wire while on a 12 ft ladder)
Pros
Wage
Cons
Worst management I have ever experienced
Exhilerating way to improve your qualities and develope new ones
Operator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
SWP offers students the opportunity to be young entrepreneurs and gives them the training, coaching and backup to do so. The work is hard but the payoff is huge. The environment is amazing and the social events are a blast. The people who are saying that it is a scam are people who werent willing to put in the amount of work that they were clearly warned about in the selection process
Pros
Money, connections, self improvement
Cons
Hard work
Learning experience of a lifetime
Senior Franchise Operator (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC19 January 2017
Working as a franchisee with SWP is an incredibly challenging, but rewarding experience. It is one that will teach you many things about life, business, and maybe even yourself. It is highly demanding and requires a lot of time, but the rewards, both personal and financial, are well worth the effort.

My manager was a great help in my 3 year journey running my own small business, he and the other managers are always available to answer questions and troubleshoot, give advice, and just generally help out.

The culture at Student Works is fun and energetic, on all levels including the management.
assisted in alleviating my social anxiety and helped improve my teamwork skills
Marketer/painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2016
spent most of the time in marketing going door to door, worked mostly on my own but soon got a chance to work with a team, unfortunately i was unable to continue due to medial issues at the time, but it wasn't to bad of a job
Pros
social interaction, biweekly pay, tools of the trade provided.
Cons
long hours, depending on where you live travel can be a hassle, some negative customers
Fun job - horrible management.
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
I worked for Student Works in Red Deer and was not treated fairly, nor did I get equal treatment to other employees. The "manager" was not vocal about his concerns/expectations and would often not respond to questions. Went about everything in a very unprofessional matter. I worked for about a month then decided to move on.
They also over charge customers - even for their own mistakes/bad job. Not good quality painting. And the whole "piece work" idea... Don't waste your time if your a student. This company screws people out of their time and money.
Pros
Good working hours, nice lunch break, friendly co-workers
Cons
disrespectful and unprofessional management
Fun job to have for those wanting to make money over the summer.
Door to Door Salesman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2016
I didn't mind this job because it allowed me to gain experience as a door to door marketer, encouraging me to build on my social skills and confidence with speaking. Allowed me to take control of a situation and deal with it according to me.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Inconvenience for those without a car
Poorly Managed and Unprofessional
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 July 2016
It's piece work so if they job is supposed to take 10 hours, regardless of if it takes 6 hours or 15 hours to complete, you're paid for 10. This would not be an issue if the person who estimated the hours did so accurately. On only 2 days of the 45 that I worked there did we finish when the estimator said we should have. My team and I worked quickly and tried our best to finish on time everyday, but as I said above, it was nearly impossible to finish when the estimator said we should. The person in charge of my team was too busy to answer our calls, and rarely came to help us paint, which often left us with unclear instructions on what to paint. This left some costumers very unhappy with the mistakes that were made that could have been avoided with a better, more organized manager. They had me and the other painters on very high ladders unsupervised for hours at a time. You don't get paid for the 20 hours of training either which consisted of painting one of the manager's houses for him for free. Overall, not a good place to work.
Cons
Don't get paid for all the work you do, poorly managed
Huge Benefits IF you work hard
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON28 April 2016
Working as an operator was an incredible, full-throttle immersion in all aspects of a business. Results are incredible in a short span of time and can produce a very lucrative summer. Leaving the job you feel as though you are truly capable of anything because of everything you learned and experienced. This job is not for the faint of heart as it requires 100+ hour weeks and little forgiveness for blunders along the way. A lot of stress can come from this job if you are prone to it. The management is a hands-off group that let's you do as you please with some guidance along the way but the operator is mostly independent all summer. If business is your interest and you are prepared to devote your time to your business then this job is spectacular. Be prepared for plenty of curve-balls though.
Pros
Build your own schedules
Cons
You're on your own mostly
Unprofessional
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 April 2016
Working 60 hours a week with a 2 week pay check, I would come back home with 350 $. I couldn't afford anything. Work was good and messy, however the salary at the end of the day was disappointing.
Fun Workplace
Painter (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK14 April 2016
It is fun and the boss is cool. Also, the people that I work with are nice and the clients and very appreciative of the work we do.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
cold calls

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works Painting. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval