Student Works Painting Employee Reviews

Fun job - horrible management.
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
I worked for Student Works in Red Deer and was not treated fairly, nor did I get equal treatment to other employees. The "manager" was not vocal about his concerns/expectations and would often not respond to questions. Went about everything in a very unprofessional matter. I worked for about a month then decided to move on.
They also over charge customers - even for their own mistakes/bad job. Not good quality painting. And the whole "piece work" idea... Don't waste your time if your a student. This company screws people out of their time and money.
Pros
Good working hours, nice lunch break, friendly co-workers
Cons
disrespectful and unprofessional management
Huge Benefits IF you work hard
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON28 April 2016
Working as an operator was an incredible, full-throttle immersion in all aspects of a business. Results are incredible in a short span of time and can produce a very lucrative summer. Leaving the job you feel as though you are truly capable of anything because of everything you learned and experienced. This job is not for the faint of heart as it requires 100+ hour weeks and little forgiveness for blunders along the way. A lot of stress can come from this job if you are prone to it. The management is a hands-off group that let's you do as you please with some guidance along the way but the operator is mostly independent all summer. If business is your interest and you are prepared to devote your time to your business then this job is spectacular. Be prepared for plenty of curve-balls though.
Pros
Build your own schedules
Cons
You're on your own mostly
Poorly Managed and Unprofessional
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 July 2016
It's piece work so if they job is supposed to take 10 hours, regardless of if it takes 6 hours or 15 hours to complete, you're paid for 10. This would not be an issue if the person who estimated the hours did so accurately. On only 2 days of the 45 that I worked there did we finish when the estimator said we should have. My team and I worked quickly and tried our best to finish on time everyday, but as I said above, it was nearly impossible to finish when the estimator said we should. The person in charge of my team was too busy to answer our calls, and rarely came to help us paint, which often left us with unclear instructions on what to paint. This left some costumers very unhappy with the mistakes that were made that could have been avoided with a better, more organized manager. They had me and the other painters on very high ladders unsupervised for hours at a time. You don't get paid for the 20 hours of training either which consisted of painting one of the manager's houses for him for free. Overall, not a good place to work.
Cons
Don't get paid for all the work you do, poorly managed
Fun job to have for those wanting to make money over the summer.
Door to Door Salesman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2016
I didn't mind this job because it allowed me to gain experience as a door to door marketer, encouraging me to build on my social skills and confidence with speaking. Allowed me to take control of a situation and deal with it according to me.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Inconvenience for those without a car
Unprofessional
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 April 2016
Working 60 hours a week with a 2 week pay check, I would come back home with 350 $. I couldn't afford anything. Work was good and messy, however the salary at the end of the day was disappointing.
Made me become a better worker
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB1 February 2016
A typical work day included marketing, estimating or producing work or all three. I learned how to hire, fire and make employee's the best workers they could be. The hardest part of the job was running producing smoothly whole still trying to book work. The most enjoyable was seeing clients so happy when we finished the job and their house was freshly painted.
Pros
Good profit
Fun Workplace
Painter (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK14 April 2016
It is fun and the boss is cool. Also, the people that I work with are nice and the clients and very appreciative of the work we do.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
cold calls
Fun place to work and be active.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 March 2016
As someone who enjoys manual labour in my youth, working with people my age in a company that recognized hard work with financial recognition was a great experience.
Reliable work and good pay
Crew Chief / Exterior Painter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 April 2015
Each day consists of arriving at the job site, discussing work strategy, and then painting all day. Door to door marketing is a minimal component of the job. The job can be monotonous at times, but overall is rewarding. No experience is required, managers will train you on the job and therefore this company is a great way for students not trained formally in a trade to find reliable summer work. Must be willing to work long hours and at heights.
Pros
Constant work at decent pay
Cons
Employees must work at heights on ladders, Job has potential for injury even though saftey training is provided
It was fun to work, very productive, didn't feel like a job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 January 2015
Usually I would paint, caulk and just fix up garages, patios,hotels etc. I learned how to caulk, paint, and fix anything that needs fixing. My co-workers were very friendly and I had a good time working with them. The hardest part of the job was being in the sun for more than 10 hours. The job was very enjoyable, it didn't really feel like a job. I enjoyed meeting new people.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Run very much like a pyramid scheme
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC22 July 2014
Disorganized, extremely unsafe and all around exploitation of workers and clients. Based on experience this was not an isolated case with one manager, but multiple and even higher management. I can say this because i was an experienced painter going into it and the students were not aware of how much they were getting ripped off.
Pros
chance for students to get some manager and painting experience
Cons
unsafe work, underpaid, and shoddy management
Not enough work
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 September 2015
When I was hired to work for Student Works Painting, I was promised much more work than I received. I was also promised an increase in pay over the summer which I also never received. However, it did give me the skills to be able to take on painting jobs on my own.
Pros
Good skill building experience
Cons
Not enough work
taught me some skills
door to door sales (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON10 July 2012
my work experience with them was OK i would go door to door and just ask people if they wanted anything painted like their house and what not. I learned how to interact with people and get some people skills. management was OK i only met them a couple times. I didnt really meat any of my co-workers. The hardest part was getting people to say yes they wanted something painted because then that meant you got paid.
Student Works Painting
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Belle River, ON1 May 2015
It was an okay job. Good for just starting out. The manager was alright, wasn't too organized. We only got paid by the number of people we signed up. Sometimes we had to go door to door for four hours or more. If you didn't sign anyone up, then you didn't get paid for that day. The only time we would get paid hourly was when we actually started painting, which we haven't yet. My co-workers were a lot of fun. It was never boring when working with them and time flew by. Overall, it's probably a better job for a high school student and not a university student.
Pros
Get to work whenever you want.
Cons
Not getting paid hourly.
Franchisee/Operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 July 2015
I was gifted with the opportunity to run my own business at 18. Naturally this provided a huge opportunity for growth. WIth the stamp of a recognized company, I was given a practical crash business course in marketing, sales etc. As with any business the return on investment takes time to see. I only had the opportunity to run my company for one year.
Not as great as it sounded.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON16 December 2013
Manager was generally late to the job sites. The manager would sometimes disappear for a lunch break and then not return for another hour after the lunch break was over. The manager did challenge us to do our best and better. I had good co-workers, but we all agreed that the pay wasn't what we expected. We only got paid for ow long a job was supposed to take us and not how much work we put into it. So if the manager incorrectly quoted a job to take much less time than it should then we get paid less while doing wore work. The manager once quoted a job for 6 hours and then the job ended up taking 5 days that the manager then blamed us for. What I did enjoy about the job was that we had 45 minutes to an hour for a lunch break. A typical day at work, when we did work, was that we would arrive on site and set up for whatever the job entailed and worked until it was late afternoon or until done. If we didn't finish we were back the next morning. The hardest part was when the manager had me working at a site that had cats when the manager knew I was allergic to cats. I became short of breath and light-headed and yet the manager still demanded that I work on ladders and at the same pace as my completely healthy co-worker. This was a summer job and I didn't have work for over a month while employed here.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Long hours, Unreasonable manager, Inconsistent work
Life of Painting
Painter (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC3 May 2014
Vigorous, hot, and demanding on time. Promoted efficiency and a strong attention to detail. Work was basically scrape, sand, prime, and paint wood sidings, stucco, and houses. Management was on time. Co-workers were all hard working. Hardest part was the time constraints and difficulty of unpredictable weather.
good opportunity
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2014
great chance for students to run their own business.
long days, 8-10
strong management
predominantly worked with a manager and with your own team.
producing was the hardest part of the job
Sales were the most enjoyable part
Poor Managemant
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 June 2014
Worked for a week until I was unexpectedly laid off. Was confused as I believed my work was getting better and although I had little experience I felt getting better but my owner/operator believed otherwise. At the job site my operator even told me many times how well I was doing and I didn't disrespect him or the client or my coworkers at any time. When I was laid off he also didn't give me any examples of where he saw I wouldn't be good in the job and even said to try other painting companies. The whole thing seemed fishy and now myself and my family and friends will never use student works ever and as I was disrespected and definitely treated unfairly.
Pros
Painting was fun
Cons
The Owner/Operator
Great Entry Level Franchise Management Position
Owner-operator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 September 2014
Great work environment, challenging competitive work nature. Overall enjoyable, however your skills will be tested greatly.

Student Works Painting Reviews by Location