Stream Global Services

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCJune 5, 2014
GOOD CALLS BAD CALLS ITS JUST A CALL YOUD GET OVER IT
I LEARNED NEVER TO TAKE THINGS PERSONAL
MANAGEMENT WAS NICE
COWORKS EVERYONE WAS ALWAYS BUSY BUT WHEN THERE WAS A BREAK IT WAS ALWAYS NICE TO CHAT WITH A NEW PERSON
TRYING NOT TO TAKE A ANGRY CALL PERSONAL
THE BEST PART WAS JUST KNOWING YOU HELPED SOMEBODY AND MADE THERE DAY BETTER MIGHT NOT BE ALL OF THE CALLS BUT THE ONES THAT CARE ARE ALWAYS NICE
Pros
good money
Cons
weird hours
fun call center
Bilingual Technical support analyst (Former Employee) –  londonApril 24, 2015
 Answer incoming customer calls in an effective and efficient manner
 Diagnose and fix various computer issues following company policies and procedures.
 Meet company Stat guidelines
 Redirect customer when necessary
 Escalate complaints when necessary following guidelines
 Provide customers with an exceptional customer service experience
 Complete assignments to help managers when requested
The people are okay, the job not so much
Technical Support Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCSeptember 3, 2013
I spent about 10 months at stream. During which I was moved to and retrained for 5 different positions, all of which were pseudo-optional.
If you do decide you want to "wait and see if anything is available," instead of going along with the change being forced on you you will either find yourself out of a job or working at the lowest paying filler contract they have at the location.

The point system in place is set up so that once you reach 8 points they are able to terminate your position, half a point for signing in anything more than 4 minutes late for work and half a point for coming in late from lunch.
A full point is assigned for any unscheduled absence of if you are more than 4 hours late. Absences for medical reasons are excused if it's a series of days, however you will still receive 1 point for the initial absence. If you show up anyways and then have to take a leave of absence this starts over again and it would be an additional point.

As for the pay, it's better than minimum wage and the physical workload is nonexistent, however the job itself gets to be extremely stressful depending on the type of contract you are working on. Usually the companies you will work on contract for have their own in-house customer service and technical support agents, they are paid much higher(starting at 15 an hour+ in some instances) for the same job you're doing for slightly above minimum wage.
Technical support is usually better in regards to customer interaction because these are people whose issues you can usually fix and they will be grateful for it, even if they came into the
  more... call angry. Tech Support also pays better with the cap being 12.25 when I was working there.
Customer service is much worse. You'll end up stuck on call after call dealing with people who want to yell at you because they think you're part of whichever company you're working on a contract for. The cap for this is up to around 11.25, I believe, and some contracts pay lower.
For customer service it ends up with an 8 hour work day of dealing with people who a lot of the time are not seemingly mentally competent. I've had a number of people who basically yelled demands at me the whole time and ignored my rational explanation of why I'm not able to give them money they have no right to. When I suggested the customer went into the retail location they had had the problem with she explained that last time they had called the police on her and will do it again.

These are the type of people you will deal with daily.

The best part about the job there was that the TMs(team managers) are often enough very eager to help you because they've been in your shoes before and know what you're dealing with.

Other than that there isn't really anything pleasant about the company.

Communication between locations is poor at best, if you work on a contract for a company that supports a wide variety of products expect to have people misrouted to you and need to transfer them. Sometimes this goes easily, sometimes you end up having to argue with someone on the other side of the planet who will tell you they cannot help you because they don't want to do their job properly.

If you have aspirations of making it to Team Manager or any other positions it basically relies on whether or not they like you, vs if you can actually do your job. A few agents will get groomed for the position and given a supervisor role, even if they are otherwise incompetent(I've had one who couldn't answer a basic question about the product we were supporting, I was sure I knew the answer but wanted confirmation, he told me I should look it up on my own, and it was a part of my job to know it.) Unless you're a part of this group you will have no chance of being promoted. There are people at the location I worked at who have been phone agents for 5+ years.

Part of being moved between contracts was taking a pay cut as I went from tech support level 2 to customer service. The people who elected not to go when we were told this was going to happen were fired.

You'll be told that they're doing everything they can to accommodate you but as anyone who has worked there before will tell you it's a joke. You'll end up getting screwed over one way or another and lied to by management.

Another facet of working there is shift bid.
Your placement is primarily based off of seniority. I've done a shiftbid where I had higher customer service ratings than quite a few agents(around 80%) and should have been near the top of the list, but because seniority weighs so heavily on these shiftbids anyone who had been there over a year had an unfair advantage, regardless of their numbers being around (50-60%).
Due to the nature of the job you will be required to worked any day of the year, holiday or not, depending on the contract it could be at any time of day(some go 24 hours).

There are usually only a few shifts with weekends off so the vast majority end up with you having days such as Wednesday-Thursday off.

That's really all I have to say about Stream.

If you have no other opportunities it's an okay place, but don't stay for more than you have to. After 3 months you receive a performance evaluation where you will be given a 75 cent raise. This is the only raise you will ever receive as a phone agent, unless you have a change of position and are promoted to a higher position.

The only thing I came away from it with were some skills for dealing with people and that's about it.
Pros
sit in a desk all day
Cons
sit in a desk all day, erratic hours, unreliable management aside from tms, poor wages for the emotional toll of the work being done
N/A
making sales (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCApril 30, 2014
My Review on this job probably is not the best, I don't enjoy management, you don't often get shifts you want or need, you work long days, and training is not well done, it does prepare you for what the job actually is. although you do get OT if you want, which is very good on your pay cheque, you always get your cheque on time, and you get lunches, and breaks.
not horible but far from even ok
Tech support level 2 (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 6, 2013
like any work place it expects you to put work first and everything else second, depending on which manager you get the work can range from barable to terrible. alot of it dependson what calls you get. expected to be angrely shouted at about three times an hour by people you are only trying to help. the co workers are good, management only talks about what you have done wrong never recognizing what you have done right. while there i never missed a single metric but they send out phone surveys and if someone decided that you didnt give them what they wanted so they rate you poorly its time for another daily talk with the manager. where you have to set more bs goals every week just to keep them happy.
you will never move from whatever position they start you in, and they lie when they hire you. for example the group was hired as tech support level two, yet we were clearly not.

you pretty much cannot get fired once you are out of the three month hire period. this place slowly drains your soul until you are dead inside and cry every day before starting work.

most people sign up with stream just to do the three week training then quit. avoid it if you can, otherwise they are always hiring.

pretty standard cafiteria, high prices, low quality food, all greasy, only other options are pre packaged salads.... dont eat those.

most people last about eight months. if you make it to a year then you are doing exceptionally well.
Pros
easy job, you get to sit in semi comfortable chairs all day
Cons
constantly being yelled at, feeling helpless and powerless, being just a cog in the giant machine for min wage
Support center
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSSeptember 28, 2012
Answer phones, help customers with issues related to whichever account you are in. Management was ok, just customer support agents who exceeded with their jobs, so they had the experience and know how. Co-workers were easier to get along with since seating was random. Hardest part of job was aggravated customers. Best was resolving their issues.
Pros
mingling with co-workers
Cons
shifts changed every couple weeks
Low wages due to low employment opportunities in region.
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville,ONOctober 18, 2014
Worked with a lot of great people, but felt like just another number from Head Office perspective. Company was a very large international organization.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
low advancement opportunities.
Not Good
telephone representaive (Former Employee) –  glace bay nova scotiaNovember 10, 2014
This job was too stress full for me. long hours mandatory over time, and the Boss's were very hard on all of the workers here.
Cons
long hours, difficult to work for this company
Great place, but lower pay & a call centre
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONNovember 10, 2012
It is a call centre with good people the client may change.
But Stream remains a critical employer in Quinte as the non discrimination and disabled assistive policies give all people a chance.

Their training program is excellent

However, call centre rules apply
Pros
good people structured advancement
Cons
shift bid
Great People to work with
Work Management (Former Employee) –  London Ont.August 25, 2014
In the 11 years I worked foe Stream I have held many different positions. The last position i had was with inter-day. That is dealing with scheduling. The managers I worked with were all good people and they were all kept well informed.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
do not keep up on cost of living
Generic Call Center
Account Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 31, 2015
Stream felt like most call centers, very warm welcome environment where you can find at least one person to become your lifelong best friend due to the sheer versatility of the people. That said, it is not a fulfilling job, and for that reason, I'm looking for employment elsewhere.
co workers are fun to be around
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 20, 2014
I would managed complaints from head office. The hardest part of the job is telling someone that I am unable to do what they are asking for. I learned how to defuse the situation and make an angry customer happy. The management seemed to be very poor. The would treat you like a number and would not listen to what you would have to say.
Productive , fun , eduactionl
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  cape bretonOctober 30, 2014
Learned allot about computer hardware and software , telephone technical support agent , management was always friendly , co-workers are great , and love the feeling of accomplishment .
Pros
wages
Working at Stream
Customer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  London OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
I learned how to sell products while troubleshooting issues. It was difficult working with irate customers, so this was a good experience to learn to handle the situation properly.
Pros
used my tech skills
Cons
management is not well organized
Changing
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSJune 15, 2013
This company has a negative reputation regarding their work environment. One of the common complaints is that, your day starts off with consistent equipment failures, and unsanitary surrounding. As well, majority of the supervisors are extremely over worked, and required to micromanage the employees with negative feedback, as opposed to positive reinforcement. However, this company has become aware of the working environment that has been described in a negative fashion by majority of the employees, and is actively trying to change the environment. One of the positive steps that the company has taken is to meet with the employees and to discuss their regrets in the way they have treated the staff. Additionally, they are providing information on how they are going to change the mindset of the staff. I believe that the company is genuine in their position for change and will follow through with their projected outcomes.
Stream
Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 29, 2015
o Managing the French department of the call center.
o Supervising the activities and motivation of 30 employees.
o Training and coaching.
o Weekly performance reviews.
o Quality checks and monitoring calls.
o Payroll and database entry.
o Employee evaluations.
o Customer support, answering and resolving complaints.
o Light supervision of other departments.
o Frequent training and refreshing of skills and techniques.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
chaos
Superficial concern for employee wellbeing
Technical Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC CanadaFebruary 27, 2012
They will provide you with minimum training required by the company you will be performing outsource duties for. This is often not enough training to be able to meet the performance standards you will be graded on.

The pay is VERY poor. Stream Global Services has played the "poor economy" card as much as it can with regards to pay. If you are a phone agent there are NO PAY INCREASES! This is a company policy for phone agents. You can if you are lucky add to your pay through the bonus plan call "Pay for Performance" but that is not a long term solution.

They have an attendance system the penalizes you for being ill.

Stream Global Services is a reasonable place to work if you need a mindless job or want to regroup before finding something better
Pros
most of your time is spent working independently.
Cons
poor pay compared to the rest of the industry.
Good With the Bad
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSApril 23, 2015
Had hard calls but the work environment made the bad calls not so bad, Always had help when needed, awesome co-workers.
At the time i worked on the Dell tech support for companies, i can't say anything about the other accounts that were/are at Stream.
Good exercise program instituted so the clerical staff got some time away from their desks
Customer service representative for HP computers (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCApril 29, 2014
In a typical day I answered phones and directed inquiries or assisted customers in dealing with their computer problems.

I learned to multitask more efficiently, as well as diagnose hardware problems in HP computers (laptops and desktop units)

The hardest part of the job was getting up at 3am to be at work for 4am during the morning shifts.

The part of the job I enjoyed most was having the opportunity to know what the best computers on the market would be before the units hit the shelves for the general public.
Pros
delicious food in the cafeteria
Cons
i had five different supervisors at once... it was like the movie, office space
Would not recomend
Technical Support Profesional (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONMay 30, 2012
When I applied for the position at stream nowhere did it say in the advert that you had to sell stuff. Where I worked we had to sell or else we would be fired. Very stressful I wouldnt recomend to anyone.

Stream Global Services Reviews by Location