Stream Global Services

Stream Global Services Employee Reviews

Productive and Friendly
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCAugust 28, 2015
I enjoyed working as a Red Box Customer Service Agent while with Stream Global Services. Pay was great, staff of friendly and the job was simple and rewarding.
Pros
Incentives, Advancment, Understanding Managment
Cons
Unreliable Hours.
One of the better call centres
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONSeptember 28, 2013
Solve technical problems while being held to high, nearly impossible to reach goals. Stream will hire anyone who can Google search the mayor of Toronto, so co-workers can be almost any Joe off the street.
The hardest part of the job is working up the will to go to work, and saying no to voluntary time off. The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving a pay cheque, and reaching the end of your shift.
Pros
no physical work involved.
Cons
customer expectations are way to high. same with management.
Easy going work atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSMarch 3, 2014
good place to work as a part/full time career with good employees and good management
Not for everyone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONAugust 29, 2015
Stream is a call centre, where you more or less have to learn on your own, despite the training that was provided. There wasn't much support
Pros
Had a cafeteria
Cons
Not enough Team Leaders
EVERYONE SEEMED TO LIKE IT EVEN ON A BAD DAY
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCJune 5, 2014
GOOD CALLS BAD CALLS ITS JUST A CALL YOUD GET OVER IT
I LEARNED NEVER TO TAKE THINGS PERSONAL
MANAGEMENT WAS NICE
COWORKS EVERYONE WAS ALWAYS BUSY BUT WHEN THERE WAS A BREAK IT WAS ALWAYS NICE TO CHAT WITH A NEW PERSON
TRYING NOT TO TAKE A ANGRY CALL PERSONAL
THE BEST PART WAS JUST KNOWING YOU HELPED SOMEBODY AND MADE THERE DAY BETTER MIGHT NOT BE ALL OF THE CALLS BUT THE ONES THAT CARE ARE ALWAYS NICE
Pros
good money
Cons
weird hours
no chance of advancement
CSR (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSMarch 17, 2015
after working hard, no recognition, everything is negative. at times I felt bad for the managers because they were being handed the negativity from upper management to force it on the people who answer phones.
Pros
decent food in the cafeteria
Cons
mandatory overtime
A great place to work, friendly work environment
desktop computer support tekniton (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 26, 2015
Working for Stream was very rewarding for me. I learned many things (ex). communication skills, problem solving,and I inproved my customer service skills working at Stream International inc.was fun and exciting fastpaced a friendly enviroment to work in.over all a great place to work.
Pros
It was a fun place to work
Cons
Power line magneitic radiation out side
The people are okay, the job not so much
Technical Support Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCSeptember 3, 2013
I spent about 10 months at stream. During which I was moved to and retrained for 5 different positions, all of which were pseudo-optional.
If you do decide you want to "wait and see if anything is available," instead of going along with the change being forced on you you will either find yourself out of a job or working at the lowest paying filler contract they have at the location.

The point system in place is set up so that once you reach 8 points they are able to terminate your position, half a point for signing in anything more than 4 minutes late for work and half a point for coming in late from lunch.
A full point is assigned for any unscheduled absence of if you are more than 4 hours late. Absences for medical reasons are excused if it's a series of days, however you will still receive 1 point for the initial absence. If you show up anyways and then have to take a leave of absence this starts over again and it would be an additional point.

As for the pay, it's better than minimum wage and the physical workload is nonexistent, however the job itself gets to be extremely stressful depending on the type of contract you are working on. Usually the companies you will work on contract for have their own in-house customer service and technical support agents, they are paid much higher(starting at 15 an hour+ in some instances) for the same job you're doing for slightly above minimum wage.
Technical support is usually better in regards to customer interaction because these are people whose issues you can usually fix and they will be grateful for it, even if they came into the
  more... call angry. Tech Support also pays better with the cap being 12.25 when I was working there.
Customer service is much worse. You'll end up stuck on call after call dealing with people who want to yell at you because they think you're part of whichever company you're working on a contract for. The cap for this is up to around 11.25, I believe, and some contracts pay lower.
For customer service it ends up with an 8 hour work day of dealing with people who a lot of the time are not seemingly mentally competent. I've had a number of people who basically yelled demands at me the whole time and ignored my rational explanation of why I'm not able to give them money they have no right to. When I suggested the customer went into the retail location they had had the problem with she explained that last time they had called the police on her and will do it again.

These are the type of people you will deal with daily.

The best part about the job there was that the TMs(team managers) are often enough very eager to help you because they've been in your shoes before and know what you're dealing with.

Other than that there isn't really anything pleasant about the company.

Communication between locations is poor at best, if you work on a contract for a company that supports a wide variety of products expect to have people misrouted to you and need to transfer them. Sometimes this goes easily, sometimes you end up having to argue with someone on the other side of the planet who will tell you they cannot help you because they don't want to do their job properly.

If you have aspirations of making it to Team Manager or any other positions it basically relies on whether or not they like you, vs if you can actually do your job. A few agents will get groomed for the position and given a supervisor role, even if they are otherwise incompetent(I've had one who couldn't answer a basic question about the product we were supporting, I was sure I knew the answer but wanted confirmation, he told me I should look it up on my own, and it was a part of my job to know it.) Unless you're a part of this group you will have no chance of being promoted. There are people at the location I worked at who have been phone agents for 5+ years.

Part of being moved between contracts was taking a pay cut as I went from tech support level 2 to customer service. The people who elected not to go when we were told this was going to happen were fired.

You'll be told that they're doing everything they can to accommodate you but as anyone who has worked there before will tell you it's a joke. You'll end up getting screwed over one way or another and lied to by management.

Another facet of working there is shift bid.
Your placement is primarily based off of seniority. I've done a shiftbid where I had higher customer service ratings than quite a few agents(around 80%) and should have been near the top of the list, but because seniority weighs so heavily on these shiftbids anyone who had been there over a year had an unfair advantage, regardless of their numbers being around (50-60%).
Due to the nature of the job you will be required to worked any day of the year, holiday or not, depending on the contract it could be at any time of day(some go 24 hours).

There are usually only a few shifts with weekends off so the vast majority end up with you having days such as Wednesday-Thursday off.

That's really all I have to say about Stream.

If you have no other opportunities it's an okay place, but don't stay for more than you have to. After 3 months you receive a performance evaluation where you will be given a 75 cent raise. This is the only raise you will ever receive as a phone agent, unless you have a change of position and are promoted to a higher position.

The only thing I came away from it with were some skills for dealing with people and that's about it.
Pros
sit in a desk all day
Cons
sit in a desk all day, erratic hours, unreliable management aside from tms, poor wages for the emotional toll of the work being done
Technical support for HP/Compaq desktop computer
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  LDONON ONTARIOAugust 30, 2015
TAKING CALLS
RETURNING CALLS
FXING COMPUTERS
SELLING HP/COMPAQ COMPUTERS
TROUBELSHOOTING AND LOGING EVERTING ON A DATA BASE
Pros
enjoyed working there
Cons
NIGHT SHIFHTS
N/A
making sales (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCApril 30, 2014
My Review on this job probably is not the best, I don't enjoy management, you don't often get shifts you want or need, you work long days, and training is not well done, it does prepare you for what the job actually is. although you do get OT if you want, which is very good on your pay cheque, you always get your cheque on time, and you get lunches, and breaks.
not horible but far from even ok
Tech support level 2 (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 6, 2013
like any work place it expects you to put work first and everything else second, depending on which manager you get the work can range from barable to terrible. alot of it dependson what calls you get. expected to be angrely shouted at about three times an hour by people you are only trying to help. the co workers are good, management only talks about what you have done wrong never recognizing what you have done right. while there i never missed a single metric but they send out phone surveys and if someone decided that you didnt give them what they wanted so they rate you poorly its time for another daily talk with the manager. where you have to set more bs goals every week just to keep them happy.
you will never move from whatever position they start you in, and they lie when they hire you. for example the group was hired as tech support level two, yet we were clearly not.

you pretty much cannot get fired once you are out of the three month hire period. this place slowly drains your soul until you are dead inside and cry every day before starting work.

most people sign up with stream just to do the three week training then quit. avoid it if you can, otherwise they are always hiring.

pretty standard cafiteria, high prices, low quality food, all greasy, only other options are pre packaged salads.... dont eat those.

most people last about eight months. if you make it to a year then you are doing exceptionally well.
Pros
easy job, you get to sit in semi comfortable chairs all day
Cons
constantly being yelled at, feeling helpless and powerless, being just a cog in the giant machine for min wage
slave drivers
Call Representative (Former Employee) –  glace Bay, NSApril 18, 2015
The work load is far too great for people to properly handle, poor, unhelpful management, and no support or negotiating
Support center
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NSSeptember 28, 2012
Answer phones, help customers with issues related to whichever account you are in. Management was ok, just customer support agents who exceeded with their jobs, so they had the experience and know how. Co-workers were easier to get along with since seating was random. Hardest part of job was aggravated customers. Best was resolving their issues.
Pros
mingling with co-workers
Cons
shifts changed every couple weeks
Worked with great people
Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 7, 2015
Full time hours but different hours everyday (8-6 one day 10-8 the next). Some shifts are 10 hours some are 6, it would be much easier if they gave you consistent 8 hours that were the same week to week. With the amount of staff they have this would be easily done but for some reason they like to have it change constantly.
Pros
Sometimes theres BBQ's
Cons
Get yelled at a lot by customers for stuff you have no control over
Great place, but lower pay & a call centre
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONNovember 10, 2012
It is a call centre with good people the client may change.
But Stream remains a critical employer in Quinte as the non discrimination and disabled assistive policies give all people a chance.

Their training program is excellent

However, call centre rules apply
Pros
good people structured advancement
Cons
shift bid
Low wages due to low employment opportunities in region.
Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville,ONOctober 18, 2014
Worked with a lot of great people, but felt like just another number from Head Office perspective. Company was a very large international organization.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
low advancement opportunities.
Loved working here shouldnt of quit!
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJune 25, 2015
Great work environment loved the job great place
learned a lot of interesting thing
loved meeting new people
hardest part is getting the first weeks down then everything gets a lot easier should of had more train on careforce
fun call center
Bilingual Technical support analyst (Former Employee) –  londonApril 24, 2015
 Answer incoming customer calls in an effective and efficient manner
 Diagnose and fix various computer issues following company policies and procedures.
 Meet company Stat guidelines
 Redirect customer when necessary
 Escalate complaints when necessary following guidelines
 Provide customers with an exceptional customer service experience
 Complete assignments to help managers when requested
Not Good
telephone representaive (Former Employee) –  glace bay nova scotiaNovember 10, 2014
This job was too stress full for me. long hours mandatory over time, and the Boss's were very hard on all of the workers here.
Cons
long hours, difficult to work for this company
co workers are fun to be around
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 20, 2014
I would managed complaints from head office. The hardest part of the job is telling someone that I am unable to do what they are asking for. I learned how to defuse the situation and make an angry customer happy. The management seemed to be very poor. The would treat you like a number and would not listen to what you would have to say.

Stream Global Services Reviews by Location