Stream Global Services Employee Reviews

Good
Inbound Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS26 October 2015
Working at servicom was great but the distance wasn't. I ended up getting a job at stream and going there instead.

I didn't enjoy sitting down for long hours I would rather a fast paced environment
great co-workers
TECH SUPPORT AGENT (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON24 October 2013
it is an ok place to work good pay and benefits and would suggest to friends and family in future
It is what it is
Technical Support Professional II Supported (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC8 March 2014
For a call center environment, it's exactly what you expect.
There are some office politics as with any work place, it doesn't take too long to see them.

Majority of the manager a good friends inside and outside of work.
However with that said I found many of them to be nice and helpful for career advancement. That is not the case with all of the team managers however.

Training was dull, over extended and not exactly organized.
Co-workers were great.

Most enjoyable part was a few good team managers and co-workers
Hardest part - Smiling during training and polices / decisions that make no sense.
Pros
Professional Company - Regular pay cheques
Cons
Low wages, uncertaintity of advancement opportities.
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 September 2015
Stream was an enjoyable work environment!
Staff was friendly and there was always room for improvement with everyone!!
Pros
Room for advancment
Cons
Long hours most days, over time would get to the extreme!
The people are okay, the job not so much
Technical Support Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC3 September 2013
I spent about 10 months at stream. During which I was moved to and retrained for 5 different positions, all of which were pseudo-optional.
If you do decide you want to "wait and see if anything is available," instead of going along with the change being forced on you you will either find yourself out of a job or working at the lowest paying filler contract they have at the location.

The point system in place is set up so that once you reach 8 points they are able to terminate your position, half a point for signing in anything more than 4 minutes late for work and half a point for coming in late from lunch.
A full point is assigned for any unscheduled absence of if you are more than 4 hours late. Absences for medical reasons are excused if it's a series of days, however you will still receive 1 point for the initial absence. If you show up anyways and then have to take a leave of absence this starts over again and it would be an additional point.

As for the pay, it's better than minimum wage and the physical workload is nonexistent, however the job itself gets to be extremely stressful depending on the type of contract you are working on. Usually the companies you will work on contract for have their own in-house customer service and technical support agents, they are paid much higher(starting at 15 an hour+ in some instances) for the same job you're doing for slightly above minimum wage.
Technical support is usually better in regards to customer interaction because these are people whose issues you can usually fix and they will be grateful for it, even if they came
  more... into the call angry. Tech Support also pays better with the cap being 12.25 when I was working there.
Customer service is much worse. You'll end up stuck on call after call dealing with people who want to yell at you because they think you're part of whichever company you're working on a contract for. The cap for this is up to around 11.25, I believe, and some contracts pay lower.
For customer service it ends up with an 8 hour work day of dealing with people who a lot of the time are not seemingly mentally competent. I've had a number of people who basically yelled demands at me the whole time and ignored my rational explanation of why I'm not able to give them money they have no right to. When I suggested the customer went into the retail location they had had the problem with she explained that last time they had called the police on her and will do it again.

These are the type of people you will deal with daily.

The best part about the job there was that the TMs(team managers) are often enough very eager to help you because they've been in your shoes before and know what you're dealing with.

Other than that there isn't really anything pleasant about the company.

Communication between locations is poor at best, if you work on a contract for a company that supports a wide variety of products expect to have people misrouted to you and need to transfer them. Sometimes this goes easily, sometimes you end up having to argue with someone on the other side of the planet who will tell you they cannot help you because they don't want to do their job properly.

If you have aspirations of making it to Team Manager or any other positions it basically relies on whether or not they like you, vs if you can actually do your job. A few agents will get groomed for the position and given a supervisor role, even if they are otherwise incompetent(I've had one who couldn't answer a basic question about the product we were supporting, I was sure I knew the answer but wanted confirmation, he told me I should look it up on my own, and it was a part of my job to know it.) Unless you're a part of this group you will have no chance of being promoted. There are people at the location I worked at who have been phone agents for 5+ years.

Part of being moved between contracts was taking a pay cut as I went from tech support level 2 to customer service. The people who elected not to go when we were told this was going to happen were fired.

You'll be told that they're doing everything they can to accommodate you but as anyone who has worked there before will tell you it's a joke. You'll end up getting screwed over one way or another and lied to by management.

Another facet of working there is shift bid.
Your placement is primarily based off of seniority. I've done a shiftbid where I had higher customer service ratings than quite a few agents(around 80%) and should have been near the top of the list, but because seniority weighs so heavily on these shiftbids anyone who had been there over a year had an unfair advantage, regardless of their numbers being around (50-60%).
Due to the nature of the job you will be required to worked any day of the year, holiday or not, depending on the contract it could be at any time of day(some go 24 hours).

There are usually only a few shifts with weekends off so the vast majority end up with you having days such as Wednesday-Thursday off.

That's really all I have to say about Stream.

If you have no other opportunities it's an okay place, but don't stay for more than you have to. After 3 months you receive a performance evaluation where you will be given a 75 cent raise. This is the only raise you will ever receive as a phone agent, unless you have a change of position and are promoted to a higher position.

The only thing I came away from it with were some skills for dealing with people and that's about it.
Pros
Sit in a desk all day
Cons
Sit in a desk all day, erratic hours, unreliable management aside from TMs, poor wages for the emotional toll of the work being done
Not flexible, solid weekly hours, typical call center job
Customer Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, Nova Scotia20 August 2013
Call center jobs mean dealing with some irate customers, keep this in mind. Call center roles are not for everyone.

Management was friendly and helpful, if not a little black and white with policy.

Decent environment, other then policy not allowing books / paper on the work floor or any sort of electronic.

Customer's could become very angry or hurtful, but management is always willing to help in needed.
Pros
Solid hours, room for advancement, desk job
Cons
Little to no flexability, no work / life balance
Would never recommend working there.
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 May 2013
Long hours. No job security. Management was poorly trained. Co-workers were rude, abrasive and foul. Customers were not understanding at all, wanted things for free.
Pros
No real pros about working here.
Cons
Everything.
Decent employer
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 June 2014
Decent employer, but had many problems. The pay is good for the work, they have nice facility with very nice break rooms and cafeteria, but it's almost impossible to get time off and the management is very poor on average. I actually had to quit since they would not give me time off to study for exams after I had been there for nearly 3 years. Very frustrating. That's no way to treat a loyal employee.
Pros
Good pay, Nice facility, Nice break rooms
Cons
Bad management, Hard to get time off, Very boring work, Very isolating work, Depressing
Call Center
Technical Support Professional II- Senior (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 August 2015
Stream Global Services employs many great people. The chances for advancement are there but can be difficult to access. The company is Global so there is the opportunity to transfer to other locations.
Pros
loads of free parking
Cons
was sold to Convergys
Tech support agent
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC18 May 2012
Unless things have changed since I left, one definite plus is that Stream specializes in tech support which focuses on calls coming in, not on making cold calls. Never did I have to take a list of random phone numbers and starting calling people to try to sell them something (I don't think I would have stayed long if I did).

As a tech support agent, you spend your day answering calls and helping people with their computer issues. Customer service skills are essential for you to be a success - you are taught the technical skills needed for each contract. Your customer service skills will dictate how well you can soothe an irate customer, how well you can listen to what a customer is saying and extract the information you need to quickly resolve their issue, and how happy the customer will be with their interaction with you (regardless of whether you were able to fix their issue or not). Even if you are a highly technical person, working in a tech support call centre will not be the job for you if you do not have any customer service skills. If your customer service skills are great and your tech level is low, there is probably still a contract that you can be trained for - different contracts require different levels of technical ability. In time, the issues you deal with on the phone become largely routine, making the job much easier, but also quite repetitive.

One drawback is that you will likely feel like "just a number", but you will find this in any large company. The sheer volume of employees makes that necessary (at one point there were around 1400 employees in our location
  more... alone). In order to maintain service levels, the time you spend on the phone is highly regulated: break times are very specific (to ensure not too many people go on break at the same time leaving no-one available to answer calls), average call length is monitored, calls waiting in queue is constantly a concern. You are required to document each call in company-specific software for issue tracking and analysis. Calls are randomly screened for quality coaching. Often I felt "leashed" to my desk by the cord from my headset to the phone. Selecting shifts are done by seniority, as is a lot of time off requests. There is a process for everything, which is a blessing and a curse. There is a very specific performance penalty system (points for performance issues such as being late, inappropriate behavior on the phone, etc) which at times feels draconian, but unfortunately the sheer volume of people that have to been tracked necessitates these measures. Expectations are pretty clearly laid out. There is a regular review structure and you typically receive a fair bit of feedback on your performance throughout the year.

Having worked on a few different contracts, I found that whether I enjoyed my job or not depended largely on who my manager was at the time and how they handled their team - good manager, enjoyable workplace - bad manager, miserable workplace. Some of the best managers I have ever worked with were at Stream (and a couple of the worst - fortunately they were the minority). Having a good manager vastly alleviates that "just a number" feeling. Fortunately, there is often availability to move between contracts or to move into new positions within the company. Upward growth from within the ranks is definitely encouraged (keeping in mind that you are still competing with hundreds of fellow employees for these positions).

I found there was a lot of camaraderie and friendly competition between contracts. There are places where people can meet and mingle during breaks. Overall, I have very fond memories of my time spent there and still keep in touch with friends made there.

Some call centres pay more and have better benefits than Stream, but most of those are company-specific call centres. At Stream, there are people working for multiple different companies in one building. The pay structure might not be the very best (although it is not bad), but the perk is that if one department is downsized, employees are often re-trained and moved to a different contract. If there are staff cuts at those company-specific call centres, those people are out of a job. Stream has a pretty decent level of job security compared to many other call centres. I remember being told once that the average lifespan of a call centre is only 3-5 years. Stream Chilliwack is definitely an exception to that rule. As for call centre jobs in general, most of the people who truly hated working in the call centre (in my experience) had no idea what a call centre job would be like. That is actually very understandable when you consider that employees are not encouraged to discuss work due to confidentiality agreements. People generally have some idea about what jobs would be like in a gas station since they are familiar with them and can see what goes on at one. Call centres are more of a mystery to anyone who hasn't been in one or who doesn't know a call centre employee. Like any other job, it has its pros and its cons, but overall I found Stream to be a decent employer.
Pros
if one contract closes, agents are often retrained for a new contract
Cons
headset cord felt like a leash
N/A
making sales (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC30 April 2014
My Review on this job probably is not the best, I don't enjoy management, you don't often get shifts you want or need, you work long days, and training is not well done, it does prepare you for what the job actually is. although you do get OT if you want, which is very good on your pay cheque, you always get your cheque on time, and you get lunches, and breaks.
Productive Work Inviroment
TECHNICAL SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON27 November 2015
Overall ok place to work, stressful at times but gives me the tools I need to work with customers, Find out what they need and equip them with the right product.
A day in the life of Stream
Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville Ontario22 October 2013
Start of your day
- Get in a half an hour early
- Start your systems
- Lock your computer
- Get your coffee
-Start taking calls

Middle of your day
- Customers often passionate
- Customers have puzzles for your to solve
- Feeling tired
- Getting taught by management
- Setting goals

End of the day
- Praying for VTO (Voluntary time off)
- Can't find anyone to help with call flows
- Getting your phone ringed by management 30 seconds of not readying yourself for the next call
- No time to touch up notes on what you just did on a call
Pros
Caferia in the Centre, Lots of puzzles in need of solving, Learning all of the time
Cons
Unrealistic Management, Surreal sense of being miserable, Employees often do drugs and want you to join them, Office romances, Drama, Overly cold atmosphere tempreture wise, Can't trust anyone
Working for Roger's
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON4 August 2014
Typical day at Convergy's working on Roger's contract is ok until you get nasty calls from Customer's screaming at you about their bill being to high and that you are the one responsible for the price increase, and the odd time using foul language towards you. I have learned to be extremely patient more that I already am since I do have children, with talking to very upset customer's. Management is very interactive with sales and offering incentive's. The hardest part of the job is holding your tongue with the customer's because they are yelling at you when your just in billing to explain the bill and add or remove services. The most enjoyable part is when you do activate new services the prizes you have a chance to win, and you do get a lot of customer's that you can joke with.
Pros
Prize insentive's
Cons
Nasty Customer's
Work
Executive Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON13 April 2015
very long hours, and extremely large workloads. enjoyed the environment because of co-workers. The pay was not bad, but as the more work I did it did not seem to justify itself.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Long hours and extremely stressfull
it was a good job
call centre (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS7 October 2013
i liked working at stream poeple were nice i worked alot and the pay was good just not the job for me
Pros
friendly poeple
Professional friendly environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC30 July 2014
Management, supervisors and co-workers were always willing to give information, advise, and moral support. It helped strengthen my commitment to the company, the client, and the customer.
I enjoy talking with customers, calming customers, and working on a PC. I have always enjoyed research and applied that skill to seeking the absolute right answers for customers.

It is hard when a customer is agitated and chooses to insult the person whom is committed to helping them. But I understand and find it a challenge to reach through the emotions and find a professional and satisfactory output.
Pros
mandatory breaks
Cons
glitches in software and it slows your service down
Fun place to start
Customer Service Representative/ Technical Support (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 March 2014
Stream is a great place to start and gain experience in telecommunications, tech support and customer service. They are not however a great place if you are looking for quick advancement. There are many people on the list for promotions that have been there much longer than you will have, when those positions come up, while made available to the whole building, are filled by the most seasoned. If you are looking for a place to meet nice people and be able to talk between calls and great managers who will get to know you and be friends as well as coworkers this is the place.
Pros
swag
Cons
call volume
Enjoyable work environment.
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC14 July 2013
Every day is different when you work for Stream Global Services. You are challenged mentally, sometimes causing you to develope " outsid the box" solutions to difficult problems. The Management is great, and understanding. Typically, the managers are hired from within the company.

The hardest part of the job is watching minimum wage creep up on your wage, knowing that when you started there you wer making 4 dollars more an hour than minimum wage, and now you make 2 dollars more.

They do have a pay for performance payout every quarter. Great way to encourage employees to try harder.
Pros
Challenging Job
Cons
Pay could be better
Always learning new approaches
Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON24 October 2015
Although there was a high turnaround rate, I was able to keep my position for 7yrs. The position that I held was one such as a teaching position which I enjoyed.

Stream Global Services Reviews by Location