Stream Global Services

Stream Global Services Employee Reviews

Okay
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS6 September 2015
Solid employment for area.

Could provide better compensation

Provided flexible scheduling while attending post secondary school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Working in a fast paced environment to provide an exceptional customer experience.
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS29 May 2016
A typical workday consisted in taking inbound calls from clients , Working with other professionals in a team environment as well as performing multiple tasks on an individual level.
Stressful work enviroment
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC4 December 2012
Very stressful work environment for someone who doesn't enjoy people yelling at you all day long. Hard to get time off for family events, point system is horrible.
benefits
Cons
long hours, low wage, yelling people, 8 points your out
It was a call center.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS16 May 2016
It was pretty good actually, the managers and coworkers were friendly, the hours were fair and they you got help if you needed it but at the same time call centers are not for everyone and that people should be wary about that.
Great People to work with
Work Management (Former Employee) –  London Ont.25 August 2014
In the 11 years I worked foe Stream I have held many different positions. The last position i had was with inter-day. That is dealing with scheduling. The managers I worked with were all good people and they were all kept well informed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Do not keep up on cost of living
good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 March 2016
I learned lots working here about products I knew barely a thing about before working there. Staff were helpful and friendly
Cafteria was good with flexible hours
Pros
good cafeteria
Cons
long shifts
Productive and very fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS12 May 2014
This is good job while you are a student, will gain more communication experience.
Pros
Flexible time, more medical benifits, good for immigrant
Cons
More calls, and littel bit pressure
Fast paced enviroment
CSR (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS16 February 2016
Worked as a tier 2 technical agent to help agents and customers resolve technical issues.
Learned how to be flexible and caring.
Co-workers for the most part were an awesome group to work with.
The hardest part was all the office politics.
The best part was resolving issues people could not resolve themselves.
Pros
Medical
Cons
No flexability in work hrs.
don't walk, run away!
support/sales (Former Employee) –  Belleville, Ontario12 May 2012
Well, it is an absolutely awful place to work. They advertise "competitive pay"=Lie. They advertise "lots of chance to move up"= Lie. "great environment"=LIE. While I worked there, I lived about 50 minutes outside of town, one night I came in, went to my "supervisor" and told him about the large snowstorm we were supposed to get (my shift was 6pm-3am...not sure how that worked), and said "If it gets heavy, Im leaving before the roads get absolutely ugly" Well the storm slammed into the area(it lasted for 36 hours), I went up and said "Im leaving"...he told me that I couldn't, and would not let me leave(literally blocking the door). I was being held there against my will, so I threatened to call the police, and he threatened my job if I did that. Secondly, they tell you in training that your first shift selection quality is based on your average test score...well mine ended up being 3rd highest in my training group, #1 took Thursday--Monday 10-6pm, #2 took tuesday-sat-12-8 30pm, Then I chose Mon-Friday 10-6pm...and wound up getting stuck on a crazy graveyard shift.

Supervisors there are only in those positions because they literally tripped and fell right into them because of who they "know" and drink with, then they think they can intimidate people and try to bully people because they are in a position of authority. The only time someone ever gets promoted, is if someone else leaves. Raises don't exist, equality doesn't exist. Upper management is a complete joke, no idea how to treat employees. The pay is terrible, they claim to pay you commission on things you sell, but you
  more... never see it. All in all, it is quite possibly the worst place on the planet to work.  less
Pros
need a pay check
Cons
they fire the great people and keep the awful ones
Fun, Outgoing Workplace. Great workers and team players.
Customer Service Representative, Saves Department (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS3 October 2013
Work was easy for the most part. Everyday you would buzz yourself in go up to your floor by elevator and sign yourself into your computer. As soon as you did so you were on call. Some calls were rough and tough to take care of but others were easy going. The work with computers was easy to do once i was taught by my wonderful team managers, it wouldn't have been as easy without them. You got 3 breaks a day including your half hour lunch. There were alot of opportunities to make money including your 'saves' pay. I was in the cancellation department and the more people i saved the better the pay and more benefits. When you sold items for the company you had the chance to win prizes. Such as; an hour of VTO (voluntary time off), bars, shirts etc. The pay was pretty good i made 10.50 an hour then plus your saves pay at the end of the month. Working 5 days a week 9 hours a day every 2 weeks i would bring in around 7-800 and at the end of every month your saves could rack you up to a 1200 pay. Overall working for the company was pretty good all the workers, team managers and managers were very flexible and easy to get along with, they made the day go by faster and the job easier to do. The only thing that i found was to difficult to handle (reason why i quit) the customers who called that were nasty and mean ,sometimes it was just too much to handle. But like I said the job for the most part was great.
Pros
Amazing people to work around
Cons
Bad calls from mean, nasty customers
What I learned
CSR (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS22 April 2016
What I learned at Stream was alot , from the different contracts that we worked on. I have learned alot of communication skills, computer skills, team building efforts
wouldn't work for them again
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC3 April 2014
the company is most of the time always in small cities so they can get the people for a low salary
Great place to work.
CSR/Supervisor/1Up (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2016
A great call center to work at. I really love that it is a inbound call center. Great lunch/break area. Shift bid system is interesting. Customer service, technical support and billing.
great co-workers
TECH SUPPORT AGENT (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON24 October 2013
it is an ok place to work good pay and benefits and would suggest to friends and family in future
Suitable for students and secondary family income
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 August 2015
The people that work at Stream are great however the companies policies make it very hard to have fun or enjoy your work. The managers are in their positions based on tenure rather then skill set and this creates issues with the end product or service Stream is supposed to be providing. Overall I would say it's a positive experience for young workers to get some relevant experience in the CSR industry but it's not a great place to build a career as you're basically a full time temp.
Pros
relevant customer service experience for young workers
Cons
Company policies and practices make it difficult to enjoy the work
The people are okay, the job not so much
Technical Support Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC3 September 2013
I spent about 10 months at stream. During which I was moved to and retrained for 5 different positions, all of which were pseudo-optional.
If you do decide you want to "wait and see if anything is available," instead of going along with the change being forced on you you will either find yourself out of a job or working at the lowest paying filler contract they have at the location.

The point system in place is set up so that once you reach 8 points they are able to terminate your position, half a point for signing in anything more than 4 minutes late for work and half a point for coming in late from lunch.
A full point is assigned for any unscheduled absence of if you are more than 4 hours late. Absences for medical reasons are excused if it's a series of days, however you will still receive 1 point for the initial absence. If you show up anyways and then have to take a leave of absence this starts over again and it would be an additional point.

As for the pay, it's better than minimum wage and the physical workload is nonexistent, however the job itself gets to be extremely stressful depending on the type of contract you are working on. Usually the companies you will work on contract for have their own in-house customer service and technical support agents, they are paid much higher(starting at 15 an hour+ in some instances) for the same job you're doing for slightly above minimum wage.
Technical support is usually better in regards to customer interaction because these are people whose issues you can usually fix and they will be grateful for it, even if they came
  more... into the call angry. Tech Support also pays better with the cap being 12.25 when I was working there.
Customer service is much worse. You'll end up stuck on call after call dealing with people who want to yell at you because they think you're part of whichever company you're working on a contract for. The cap for this is up to around 11.25, I believe, and some contracts pay lower.
For customer service it ends up with an 8 hour work day of dealing with people who a lot of the time are not seemingly mentally competent. I've had a number of people who basically yelled demands at me the whole time and ignored my rational explanation of why I'm not able to give them money they have no right to. When I suggested the customer went into the retail location they had had the problem with she explained that last time they had called the police on her and will do it again.

These are the type of people you will deal with daily.

The best part about the job there was that the TMs(team managers) are often enough very eager to help you because they've been in your shoes before and know what you're dealing with.

Other than that there isn't really anything pleasant about the company.

Communication between locations is poor at best, if you work on a contract for a company that supports a wide variety of products expect to have people misrouted to you and need to transfer them. Sometimes this goes easily, sometimes you end up having to argue with someone on the other side of the planet who will tell you they cannot help you because they don't want to do their job properly.

If you have aspirations of making it to Team Manager or any other positions it basically relies on whether or not they like you, vs if you can actually do your job. A few agents will get groomed for the position and given a supervisor role, even if they are otherwise incompetent(I've had one who couldn't answer a basic question about the product we were supporting, I was sure I knew the answer but wanted confirmation, he told me I should look it up on my own, and it was a part of my job to know it.) Unless you're a part of this group you will have no chance of being promoted. There are people at the location I worked at who have been phone agents for 5+ years.

Part of being moved between contracts was taking a pay cut as I went from tech support level 2 to customer service. The people who elected not to go when we were told this was going to happen were fired.

You'll be told that they're doing everything they can to accommodate you but as anyone who has worked there before will tell you it's a joke. You'll end up getting screwed over one way or another and lied to by management.

Another facet of working there is shift bid.
Your placement is primarily based off of seniority. I've done a shiftbid where I had higher customer service ratings than quite a few agents(around 80%) and should have been near the top of the list, but because seniority weighs so heavily on these shiftbids anyone who had been there over a year had an unfair advantage, regardless of their numbers being around (50-60%).
Due to the nature of the job you will be required to worked any day of the year, holiday or not, depending on the contract it could be at any time of day(some go 24 hours).

There are usually only a few shifts with weekends off so the vast majority end up with you having days such as Wednesday-Thursday off.

That's really all I have to say about Stream.

If you have no other opportunities it's an okay place, but don't stay for more than you have to. After 3 months you receive a performance evaluation where you will be given a 75 cent raise. This is the only raise you will ever receive as a phone agent, unless you have a change of position and are promoted to a higher position.

The only thing I came away from it with were some skills for dealing with people and that's about it.
Pros
Sit in a desk all day
Cons
Sit in a desk all day, erratic hours, unreliable management aside from TMs, poor wages for the emotional toll of the work being done
Decent employer
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 June 2014
Decent employer, but had many problems. The pay is good for the work, they have nice facility with very nice break rooms and cafeteria, but it's almost impossible to get time off and the management is very poor on average. I actually had to quit since they would not give me time off to study for exams after I had been there for nearly 3 years. Very frustrating. That's no way to treat a loyal employee.
Pros
Good pay, Nice facility, Nice break rooms
Cons
Bad management, Hard to get time off, Very boring work, Very isolating work, Depressing
Not flexible, solid weekly hours, typical call center job
Customer Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, Nova Scotia20 August 2013
Call center jobs mean dealing with some irate customers, keep this in mind. Call center roles are not for everyone.

Management was friendly and helpful, if not a little black and white with policy.

Decent environment, other then policy not allowing books / paper on the work floor or any sort of electronic.

Customer's could become very angry or hurtful, but management is always willing to help in needed.
Pros
Solid hours, room for advancement, desk job
Cons
Little to no flexability, no work / life balance
Tech support agent
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC18 May 2012
Unless things have changed since I left, one definite plus is that Stream specializes in tech support which focuses on calls coming in, not on making cold calls. Never did I have to take a list of random phone numbers and starting calling people to try to sell them something (I don't think I would have stayed long if I did).

As a tech support agent, you spend your day answering calls and helping people with their computer issues. Customer service skills are essential for you to be a success - you are taught the technical skills needed for each contract. Your customer service skills will dictate how well you can soothe an irate customer, how well you can listen to what a customer is saying and extract the information you need to quickly resolve their issue, and how happy the customer will be with their interaction with you (regardless of whether you were able to fix their issue or not). Even if you are a highly technical person, working in a tech support call centre will not be the job for you if you do not have any customer service skills. If your customer service skills are great and your tech level is low, there is probably still a contract that you can be trained for - different contracts require different levels of technical ability. In time, the issues you deal with on the phone become largely routine, making the job much easier, but also quite repetitive.

One drawback is that you will likely feel like "just a number", but you will find this in any large company. The sheer volume of employees makes that necessary (at one point there were around 1400 employees in our location
  more... alone). In order to maintain service levels, the time you spend on the phone is highly regulated: break times are very specific (to ensure not too many people go on break at the same time leaving no-one available to answer calls), average call length is monitored, calls waiting in queue is constantly a concern. You are required to document each call in company-specific software for issue tracking and analysis. Calls are randomly screened for quality coaching. Often I felt "leashed" to my desk by the cord from my headset to the phone. Selecting shifts are done by seniority, as is a lot of time off requests. There is a process for everything, which is a blessing and a curse. There is a very specific performance penalty system (points for performance issues such as being late, inappropriate behavior on the phone, etc) which at times feels draconian, but unfortunately the sheer volume of people that have to been tracked necessitates these measures. Expectations are pretty clearly laid out. There is a regular review structure and you typically receive a fair bit of feedback on your performance throughout the year.

Having worked on a few different contracts, I found that whether I enjoyed my job or not depended largely on who my manager was at the time and how they handled their team - good manager, enjoyable workplace - bad manager, miserable workplace. Some of the best managers I have ever worked with were at Stream (and a couple of the worst - fortunately they were the minority). Having a good manager vastly alleviates that "just a number" feeling. Fortunately, there is often availability to move between contracts or to move into new positions within the company. Upward growth from within the ranks is definitely encouraged (keeping in mind that you are still competing with hundreds of fellow employees for these positions).

I found there was a lot of camaraderie and friendly competition between contracts. There are places where people can meet and mingle during breaks. Overall, I have very fond memories of my time spent there and still keep in touch with friends made there.

Some call centres pay more and have better benefits than Stream, but most of those are company-specific call centres. At Stream, there are people working for multiple different companies in one building. The pay structure might not be the very best (although it is not bad), but the perk is that if one department is downsized, employees are often re-trained and moved to a different contract. If there are staff cuts at those company-specific call centres, those people are out of a job. Stream has a pretty decent level of job security compared to many other call centres. I remember being told once that the average lifespan of a call centre is only 3-5 years. Stream Chilliwack is definitely an exception to that rule. As for call centre jobs in general, most of the people who truly hated working in the call centre (in my experience) had no idea what a call centre job would be like. That is actually very understandable when you consider that employees are not encouraged to discuss work due to confidentiality agreements. People generally have some idea about what jobs would be like in a gas station since they are familiar with them and can see what goes on at one. Call centres are more of a mystery to anyone who hasn't been in one or who doesn't know a call centre employee. Like any other job, it has its pros and its cons, but overall I found Stream to be a decent employer.
Pros
if one contract closes, agents are often retrained for a new contract
Cons
headset cord felt like a leash
Enjoyed working with people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 February 2016
I enjoyed working for Stream. They helped me alot when I became ill.
But they has no tolerance for people that are ill or grieving
Pros
People are fabulous
Cons
Not enough hours for part time

Stream Global Services Reviews by Location