Stream Global Services

Stream Global Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
One of the better call centres
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee), Belleville, ONSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: no physical work involved.
Cons: customer expectations are way to high. same with management.
Solve technical problems while being held to high, nearly impossible to reach goals. Stream will hire anyone who can Google search the mayor of Toronto, so co-workers can be almost any Joe off the street.
The hardest part of the job is working up the will to go to work, and saying no to voluntary time off. The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving – more... a pay cheque, and reaching the end of your shift. – less
Strict place, decent hours
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Alright placce to work, but hard managers and very little understanding for life issues.
Stream
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 20, 2013
it is a very stressful job, trying to do the right thing for the customer as a lot of the issues were unrelated to what my job was.
The people are okay, the job not so much
Technical Support Level 2 (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: sit in a desk all day
Cons: sit in a desk all day, erratic hours, unreliable management aside from tms, poor wages for the emotional toll of the work being done
I spent about 10 months at stream. During which I was moved to and retrained for 5 different positions, all of which were pseudo-optional.
If you do decide you want to "wait and see if anything is available," instead of going along with the change being forced on you you will either find yourself out of a job or working at the lowest paying filler contract – more... they have at the location.

The point system in place is set up so that once you reach 8 points they are able to terminate your position, half a point for signing in anything more than 4 minutes late for work and half a point for coming in late from lunch.
A full point is assigned for any unscheduled absence of if you are more than 4 hours late. Absences for medical reasons are excused if it's a series of days, however you will still receive 1 point for the initial absence. If you show up anyways and then have to take a leave of absence this starts over again and it would be an additional point.

As for the pay, it's better than minimum wage and the physical workload is nonexistent, however the job itself gets to be extremely stressful depending on the type of contract you are working on. Usually the companies you will work on contract for have their own in-house customer service and technical support agents, they are paid much higher(starting at 15 an hour+ in some instances) for the same job you're doing for slightly above minimum wage.
Technical support is usually better in regards to customer interaction because these are people whose issues you can usually fix and they will be grateful for it, even if they came into the call angry. Tech Support also pays better with the cap being 12.25 when I was working there.
Customer service is much worse. You'll end up stuck on call after call dealing with people who want to yell at you because they think you're part of whichever company you're working on a contract for. The cap for this is up to around 11.25, I believe, and some contracts pay lower.
For customer service it ends up with an 8 hour work day of dealing with people who a lot of the time are not seemingly mentally competent. I've had a number of people who basically yelled demands at me the whole time and ignored my rational explanation of why I'm not able to give them money they have no right to. When I suggested the customer went into the retail location they had had the problem with she explained that last time they had called the police on her and will do it again.

These are the type of people you will deal with daily.

The best part about the job there was that the TMs(team managers) are often enough very eager to help you because they've been in your shoes before and know what you're dealing with.

Other than that there isn't really anything pleasant about the company.

Communication between locations is poor at best, if you work on a contract for a company that supports a wide variety of products expect to have people misrouted to you and need to transfer them. Sometimes this goes easily, sometimes you end up having to argue with someone on the other side of the planet who will tell you they cannot help you because they don't want to do their job properly.

If you have aspirations of making it to Team Manager or any other positions it basically relies on whether or not they like you, vs if you can actually do your job. A few agents will get groomed for the position and given a supervisor role, even if they are otherwise incompetent(I've had one who couldn't answer a basic question about the product we were supporting, I was sure I knew the answer but wanted confirmation, he told me I should look it up on my own, and it was a part of my job to know it.) Unless you're a part of this group you will have no chance of being promoted. There are people at the location I worked at who have been phone agents for 5+ years.

Part of being moved between contracts was taking a pay cut as I went from tech support level 2 to customer service. The people who elected not to go when we were told this was going to happen were fired.

You'll be told that they're doing everything they can to accommodate you but as anyone who has worked there before will tell you it's a joke. You'll end up getting screwed over one way or another and lied to by management.

Another facet of working there is shift bid.
Your placement is primarily based off of seniority. I've done a shiftbid where I had higher customer service ratings than quite a few agents(around 80%) and should have been near the top of the list, but because seniority weighs so heavily on these shiftbids anyone who had been there over a year had an unfair advantage, regardless of their numbers being around (50-60%).
Due to the nature of the job you will be required to worked any day of the year, holiday or not, depending on the contract it could be at any time of day(some go 24 hours).

There are usually only a few shifts with weekends off so the vast majority end up with you having days such as Wednesday-Thursday off.

That's really all I have to say about Stream.

If you have no other opportunities it's an okay place, but don't stay for more than you have to. After 3 months you receive a performance evaluation where you will be given a 75 cent raise. This is the only raise you will ever receive as a phone agent, unless you have a change of position and are promoted to a higher position.

The only thing I came away from it with were some skills for dealing with people and that's about it. – less
A Typical Day In The Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCAugust 26, 2013
Pros: gained skills that i can use anywhere
Cons: low salary and mandatory overtime
A typical day at work is taking numerous inbound calls from customers using a headset and sitting at a desk for 7 or more hours out of the day staring at a computer screen while typing customer issue and resolution notes. The two coffee breaks and the hour lunch is a great way to take a deep breath and a break away from the phones and take time to yourself. – more... What I learn in a day is how to deflect any customers and how to give customers the pickle. There is always a solution. I learn new product information that assists me in getting my job done in a positive way.
Management is always there for me for any questions I might have pertaining to getting the job done. Co-workers are like family and I tend to get along with everyone and like people to know who I am. I find it extremely sad when a co-worker leaves. The hardest part of the job is that you cannot always please everyone. Also the long hours if there is mandatory overtime in effect can be hard. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers.
After all, customers come first and a lot of times customers can put a smile on your face and really make your day. – less
Not flexible, solid weekly hours, typical call center job
Customer Support Rep (Former Employee), Glace Bay, Nova ScotiaAugust 20, 2013
Pros: solid hours, room for advancement, desk job
Cons: little to no flexability, no work / life balance
Call center jobs mean dealing with some irate customers, keep this in mind. Call center roles are not for everyone.

Management was friendly and helpful, if not a little black and white with policy.

Decent environment, other then policy not allowing books / paper on the work floor or any sort of electronic.

Customer's could become very angry or hurtful, – more... but management is always willing to help in needed. – less
Typical type of a working area there is a game room and a pantry near whenever employees get stressed
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Makati, P00August 6, 2013
Pros: free gift checks every hour you take an overtime
Learned trouble shooting laptops and desktops had knowledge about technical terms and also gained basic technical knowledge about computers.Co-workers are helpful whenever you have difficulties with solution you can ask for a consultation about the issue.Hardest part of the job is when you receive unknown issues doing up selling and hitting metric targets – more... that are impossible to meet.Most enjoyable part is the game room. – less
enjoyed work because it is a day shift job
Customer Support (Back Office/Data Entry) (Former Employee), Quezon City, PhilippinesJuly 29, 2013
It is my first day shift job and I am always excited to go to work. Didn't really learn new things at this company
Easygoing environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCJuly 16, 2013
Pros: great enviroment, flexible hours.
Cons: you're on a headset all day not talking to the customers face to face.
Most days at stream were straight forward but you learn how to handle customers properly form the hard days that come aswel all the employees are very friendly and outgoing. But the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was hearing thank you after helping the customer with the problem.
Enjoyable work environment.
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCJuly 14, 2013
Pros: challenging job
Cons: pay could be better
Every day is different when you work for Stream Global Services. You are challenged mentally, sometimes causing you to develope " outsid the box" solutions to difficult problems. The Management is great, and understanding. Typically, the managers are hired from within the company.

The hardest part of the job is watching minimum wage creep up on your – more... wage, knowing that when you started there you wer making 4 dollars more an hour than minimum wage, and now you make 2 dollars more.

They do have a pay for performance payout every quarter. Great way to encourage employees to try harder. – less
not horible but far from even ok
Tech support level 2 (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 6, 2013
Pros: easy job, you get to sit in semi comfortable chairs all day
Cons: constantly being yelled at, feeling helpless and powerless, being just a cog in the giant machine for min wage
like any work place it expects you to put work first and everything else second, depending on which manager you get the work can range from barable to terrible. alot of it dependson what calls you get. expected to be angrely shouted at about three times an hour by people you are only trying to help. the co workers are good, management only talks about – more... what you have done wrong never recognizing what you have done right. while there i never missed a single metric but they send out phone surveys and if someone decided that you didnt give them what they wanted so they rate you poorly its time for another daily talk with the manager. where you have to set more bs goals every week just to keep them happy.
you will never move from whatever position they start you in, and they lie when they hire you. for example the group was hired as tech support level two, yet we were clearly not.

you pretty much cannot get fired once you are out of the three month hire period. this place slowly drains your soul until you are dead inside and cry every day before starting work.

most people sign up with stream just to do the three week training then quit. avoid it if you can, otherwise they are always hiring.

pretty standard cafiteria, high prices, low quality food, all greasy, only other options are pre packaged salads.... dont eat those.

most people last about eight months. if you make it to a year then you are doing exceptionally well. – less
Boring, stressful
Telephone Operator (Former Employee), British ColumbiaMay 24, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: stressfull
working here was hard to manage while attending full time studies. The people here were great, I loved them, however the job itself was stressful.
stream
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), London,OntMay 7, 2013
I did not enjoy working there, they where not willing to work with my disability and as such I left on permanent medical leave.
Everything there is not consistent. The company might appear strong but the company does not really really take care of their employees.
University Relations Manager - Recruiting (Former Employee), Manila, PhilippinesMay 2, 2013
Pros: survival by learning, adjusting, deciding and adapting fast individually
Cons: no career growth
There is no growth for the employees, what you know when you get in is all you have. They would say that they are for the development of their employees but they hire externally for manager positions most of the time. This may reflect that the employees are not fit for the management posts but this can also reflect that the company is not doing anything – more... to develop their employees.

As Stream is in is a very fast moving industry, people will learn to adjust, decide and adapt fast as well. – less
Fun Workplace with computer room, lounge and pantry
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Makati, PhilippinesApril 19, 2013
Pros: free gift certificates, bonuses, company outing
Cons: work even in holidays
- repetitive task, multitasking,
- become knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, learn to deal with various people,
suppport professional
support professional (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 30, 2013
i would take inbound calls to help customers with their cell phone bills.
Productive and Career Minded Organisation
Associate Trainer (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCMarch 14, 2013
Fast-paced, quick changing work environment. Must be ready to change processes and training with a moments notice.
Overall a great company to work with.
Team Manager (Current Employee), Quezon City, PhilippinesMarch 6, 2013
Pros: career growth
Cons: n/a
I'm very grateful with Stream. Coming from a entry level position the company helped me in developing my skills. The management is outstanding, they have helped in every step of the way.
it was a job
Technical Support (Former Employee), Belleville ONFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: cafeteria on site
Cons: its a call center
gained a lot of knowledge about printers and how they work and how to fix them
Senior Blackberry technical support (Current Employee), Glacebay,nsFebruary 27, 2013
I work in a very friendly and challenging environment, the management team is very helpful and understanding.

My typical day of work is check emails and answer calls resolve the client's issue.

About Stream Global Services

How far do you want to climb the Stream career ladder? With our promote-from-within philosophy and your talent and ambition to – Read more

Stream Global Services Photos