Stream Global Services

Stream Global Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great culture
Employee (Current Employee), UndisclosedJanuary 22, 2014
Stream has a culture where employees are proud of themselves and the company they work in. It is performance-based and rewards ingenuity.
Dynamic
Sales Executive (Former Employee), CairoDecember 14, 2013
Excellent place to start your career and enter the hospitality industry
Well Structured And Enjoyable
Inbound Consultant (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 27, 2013
Pros: good pay, structured environment
Cons: inflexible and difficult hours
Stream was a good work place, they went out of their way to make it seem like a good job. It was difficult but Canadian customers on inbound calls are reasonable. I handle billing and some technical related concerns which results in upset people. I have financial discretion which I use to resolve customer issues.

My co-workers are good people but we – more... are rarely working together; a call centre environment is always individual work.

The job itself is fairly easy, you do your best to resolve the issue and show empathy through the process. For the most part I have learned to be more empathetic and have a more powerful speaking voice.

In all honesty, my favourite part of the job is the cafeteria. Excellent soup. – less
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Belleville, ONNovember 25, 2013
i loved working here. would love to opportunity to go back. lots of people to talk to and work well in the teams.
It's a job
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Belleville, OntarioNovember 18, 2013
I did not have a very good exit experience with this company.
great co-workers
TECH SUPPORT AGENT (Former Employee), Belleville, ONOctober 24, 2013
it is an ok place to work good pay and benefits and would suggest to friends and family in future
A day in the life of Stream
Care Representative (Former Employee), Belleville OntarioOctober 22, 2013
Pros: caferia in the centre, lots of puzzles in need of solving, learning all of the time
Cons: unrealistic management, surreal sense of being miserable, employees often do drugs and want you to join them, office romances, drama, overly cold atmosphere tempreture wise, can't trust anyone
Start of your day
- Get in a half an hour early
- Start your systems
- Lock your computer
- Get your coffee
-Start taking calls

Middle of your day
- Customers often passionate
- Customers have puzzles for your to solve
- Feeling tired
- Getting taught by management
- Setting goals

End of the day
- Praying for VTO (Voluntary time off)
- Can't find – more... anyone to help with call flows
- Getting your phone ringed by management 30 seconds of not readying yourself for the next call
- No time to touch up notes on what you just did on a call – less
A good, rewarding job for the area.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCOctober 11, 2013
Pros: decent wage and benefits, fun and friendly environment.
Cons: training lacking, low-pay grade compared to similar jobs in vancouver
While a little on the low-side wage-wise for technical support positions, Stream was a fun and fulfilling place to work. The Team Leaders and management were friendly and helpful and the environment was good. A decent benefits package combined with an above-average wage for the location meant it felt like a worthwhile place to work.

My only complaint – more... is that other technical support positions in the Vancouver area pay nearly $4/hour more than I was making on the contract I was working. – less
One of the worst place to work at
Technical Support (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 30, 2013
Cons: stress, pressure
Stream Global Services is like a prison, no human feelings inside of this Company, just a perment sentiment of panic and stress among people working there. A very bad management, every day rules are changing, creating chaos, confusion and making the goal of meeting the expectation of the company almost imposible to be reached...Poor salary,etc...
One of the better call centres
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee), Belleville, ONSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: no physical work involved.
Cons: customer expectations are way to high. same with management.
Solve technical problems while being held to high, nearly impossible to reach goals. Stream will hire anyone who can Google search the mayor of Toronto, so co-workers can be almost any Joe off the street.
The hardest part of the job is working up the will to go to work, and saying no to voluntary time off. The most enjoyable part of the job is receiving – more... a pay cheque, and reaching the end of your shift. – less
Strict place, decent hours
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee), London, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Alright placce to work, but hard managers and very little understanding for life issues.
Stream
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 20, 2013
it is a very stressful job, trying to do the right thing for the customer as a lot of the issues were unrelated to what my job was.
The people are okay, the job not so much
Technical Support Level 2 (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: sit in a desk all day
Cons: sit in a desk all day, erratic hours, unreliable management aside from tms, poor wages for the emotional toll of the work being done
I spent about 10 months at stream. During which I was moved to and retrained for 5 different positions, all of which were pseudo-optional.
If you do decide you want to "wait and see if anything is available," instead of going along with the change being forced on you you will either find yourself out of a job or working at the lowest paying filler contract – more... they have at the location.

The point system in place is set up so that once you reach 8 points they are able to terminate your position, half a point for signing in anything more than 4 minutes late for work and half a point for coming in late from lunch.
A full point is assigned for any unscheduled absence of if you are more than 4 hours late. Absences for medical reasons are excused if it's a series of days, however you will still receive 1 point for the initial absence. If you show up anyways and then have to take a leave of absence this starts over again and it would be an additional point.

As for the pay, it's better than minimum wage and the physical workload is nonexistent, however the job itself gets to be extremely stressful depending on the type of contract you are working on. Usually the companies you will work on contract for have their own in-house customer service and technical support agents, they are paid much higher(starting at 15 an hour+ in some instances) for the same job you're doing for slightly above minimum wage.
Technical support is usually better in regards to customer interaction because these are people whose issues you can usually fix and they will be grateful for it, even if they came into the call angry. Tech Support also pays better with the cap being 12.25 when I was working there.
Customer service is much worse. You'll end up stuck on call after call dealing with people who want to yell at you because they think you're part of whichever company you're working on a contract for. The cap for this is up to around 11.25, I believe, and some contracts pay lower.
For customer service it ends up with an 8 hour work day of dealing with people who a lot of the time are not seemingly mentally competent. I've had a number of people who basically yelled demands at me the whole time and ignored my rational explanation of why I'm not able to give them money they have no right to. When I suggested the customer went into the retail location they had had the problem with she explained that last time they had called the police on her and will do it again.

These are the type of people you will deal with daily.

The best part about the job there was that the TMs(team managers) are often enough very eager to help you because they've been in your shoes before and know what you're dealing with.

Other than that there isn't really anything pleasant about the company.

Communication between locations is poor at best, if you work on a contract for a company that supports a wide variety of products expect to have people misrouted to you and need to transfer them. Sometimes this goes easily, sometimes you end up having to argue with someone on the other side of the planet who will tell you they cannot help you because they don't want to do their job properly.

If you have aspirations of making it to Team Manager or any other positions it basically relies on whether or not they like you, vs if you can actually do your job. A few agents will get groomed for the position and given a supervisor role, even if they are otherwise incompetent(I've had one who couldn't answer a basic question about the product we were supporting, I was sure I knew the answer but wanted confirmation, he told me I should look it up on my own, and it was a part of my job to know it.) Unless you're a part of this group you will have no chance of being promoted. There are people at the location I worked at who have been phone agents for 5+ years.

Part of being moved between contracts was taking a pay cut as I went from tech support level 2 to customer service. The people who elected not to go when we were told this was going to happen were fired.

You'll be told that they're doing everything they can to accommodate you but as anyone who has worked there before will tell you it's a joke. You'll end up getting screwed over one way or another and lied to by management.

Another facet of working there is shift bid.
Your placement is primarily based off of seniority. I've done a shiftbid where I had higher customer service ratings than quite a few agents(around 80%) and should have been near the top of the list, but because seniority weighs so heavily on these shiftbids anyone who had been there over a year had an unfair advantage, regardless of their numbers being around (50-60%).
Due to the nature of the job you will be required to worked any day of the year, holiday or not, depending on the contract it could be at any time of day(some go 24 hours).

There are usually only a few shifts with weekends off so the vast majority end up with you having days such as Wednesday-Thursday off.

That's really all I have to say about Stream.

If you have no other opportunities it's an okay place, but don't stay for more than you have to. After 3 months you receive a performance evaluation where you will be given a 75 cent raise. This is the only raise you will ever receive as a phone agent, unless you have a change of position and are promoted to a higher position.

The only thing I came away from it with were some skills for dealing with people and that's about it. – less
A Typical Day In The Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCAugust 26, 2013
Pros: gained skills that i can use anywhere
Cons: low salary and mandatory overtime
A typical day at work is taking numerous inbound calls from customers using a headset and sitting at a desk for 7 or more hours out of the day staring at a computer screen while typing customer issue and resolution notes. The two coffee breaks and the hour lunch is a great way to take a deep breath and a break away from the phones and take time to yourself. – more... What I learn in a day is how to deflect any customers and how to give customers the pickle. There is always a solution. I learn new product information that assists me in getting my job done in a positive way.
Management is always there for me for any questions I might have pertaining to getting the job done. Co-workers are like family and I tend to get along with everyone and like people to know who I am. I find it extremely sad when a co-worker leaves. The hardest part of the job is that you cannot always please everyone. Also the long hours if there is mandatory overtime in effect can be hard. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers.
After all, customers come first and a lot of times customers can put a smile on your face and really make your day. – less
Not flexible, solid weekly hours, typical call center job
Customer Support Rep (Former Employee), Glace Bay, Nova ScotiaAugust 20, 2013
Pros: solid hours, room for advancement, desk job
Cons: little to no flexability, no work / life balance
Call center jobs mean dealing with some irate customers, keep this in mind. Call center roles are not for everyone.

Management was friendly and helpful, if not a little black and white with policy.

Decent environment, other then policy not allowing books / paper on the work floor or any sort of electronic.

Customer's could become very angry or hurtful, – more... but management is always willing to help in needed. – less
Easygoing environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCJuly 16, 2013
Pros: great enviroment, flexible hours.
Cons: you're on a headset all day not talking to the customers face to face.
Most days at stream were straight forward but you learn how to handle customers properly form the hard days that come aswel all the employees are very friendly and outgoing. But the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was hearing thank you after helping the customer with the problem.
Enjoyable work environment.
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCJuly 14, 2013
Pros: challenging job
Cons: pay could be better
Every day is different when you work for Stream Global Services. You are challenged mentally, sometimes causing you to develope " outsid the box" solutions to difficult problems. The Management is great, and understanding. Typically, the managers are hired from within the company.

The hardest part of the job is watching minimum wage creep up on your – more... wage, knowing that when you started there you wer making 4 dollars more an hour than minimum wage, and now you make 2 dollars more.

They do have a pay for performance payout every quarter. Great way to encourage employees to try harder. – less
not horible but far from even ok
Tech support level 2 (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 6, 2013
Pros: easy job, you get to sit in semi comfortable chairs all day
Cons: constantly being yelled at, feeling helpless and powerless, being just a cog in the giant machine for min wage
like any work place it expects you to put work first and everything else second, depending on which manager you get the work can range from barable to terrible. alot of it dependson what calls you get. expected to be angrely shouted at about three times an hour by people you are only trying to help. the co workers are good, management only talks about – more... what you have done wrong never recognizing what you have done right. while there i never missed a single metric but they send out phone surveys and if someone decided that you didnt give them what they wanted so they rate you poorly its time for another daily talk with the manager. where you have to set more bs goals every week just to keep them happy.
you will never move from whatever position they start you in, and they lie when they hire you. for example the group was hired as tech support level two, yet we were clearly not.

you pretty much cannot get fired once you are out of the three month hire period. this place slowly drains your soul until you are dead inside and cry every day before starting work.

most people sign up with stream just to do the three week training then quit. avoid it if you can, otherwise they are always hiring.

pretty standard cafiteria, high prices, low quality food, all greasy, only other options are pre packaged salads.... dont eat those.

most people last about eight months. if you make it to a year then you are doing exceptionally well. – less
Boring, stressful
Telephone Operator (Former Employee), British ColumbiaMay 24, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: stressfull
working here was hard to manage while attending full time studies. The people here were great, I loved them, however the job itself was stressful.
stream
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), London,OntMay 7, 2013
I did not enjoy working there, they where not willing to work with my disability and as such I left on permanent medical leave.

About Stream Global Services

How far do you want to climb the Stream career ladder? With our promote-from-within philosophy and your talent and ambition to – Read more

Stream Global Services Photos