Located on Vancouver Island, with offices in Port McNeill, Campbell River and Nanaimo, the Strategic Group is a dynamic consulting firm committed to providing BC with superior resource management consulting. We provide professional services such as Forestry, Biology, GIS, and Wilderness Recreation for clients in forestry, utilities, infrastructure, mining, government agencies, First Nations and municipalities.
Health and Safety Manager
Strategic is seeking to add a Health and Safety Manager to our team of professionals. Our ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, hard-working, dynamic and experienced Health & Safety specialist who will lead us in delivering a World Class safety program across our entire company from either Port McNeill or Campbell River. In addition to having the education and experience to fulfill this role, delivering world class results will require travel throughout our varied and remote work sites to provide “boots on the ground” leadership with our field teams.
The Health& Safety Manager will;
- Provide leadership, guidance, support and expertise in health and safety issues, while working towards eliminating worker injuries and attaining compliance with all applicable laws and regulations,
- Work in a team environment with the OH&S Committee,
- Communicate and coordinate OH&S procedures, policies and systems on daily basis to all company personnel,
- Deliver OH&S training and orientation,
- Investigate incidents and assist with corrective actions,
- Review the proposed work programs and provide safety, health and environment input,
- Track and report all OH&S performance through statistical trend analysis,
- Review, audit and modify Job Safety Breakdowns and Safe Work Practices as required,
- Liaise with all WorkSafeBC representatives where necessary,
- Lead and communicate Strategic’s Incident Investigation program and coordinate efforts in line with Strategic’s Injury Management Program.
Applicants are asked to clearly demonstrate how they meet the following minimum qualifications;
- Minimum two years of technical expertise in occupational health and safety management,
- Comprehensive knowledge of WorkSafe BC’s OH&S regulations and other relevant legislation,
- Experience in WorkSafeBC compensation claims management,
- Certification and experience in Incident/Accident Investigation,
- Experience with advanced first aid training and internal/external safety audit training,
- Minimum one year of management and leadership experience, preferably in a business environment,
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written),
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills and the ability to effectively teach/train workers,
- Possess a professional or recognized designation in occupational safety (or working towards)
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and off road driving experience,
- Background in the natural resource sector.
We pride ourselves on maintaining a safe, respectful and fun work environment that promotes values such as teamwork, professional accountability, and work/life balance. All applicants must be enthusiastic workers and learners who thrive and excel in a team environment. Your dedication to workplace safety and possessing a positive attitude are critical to your role with our team.
We offer competitive compensation with a comprehensive benefits package, company matching RRSP contribution, gear allowance, training and development opportunities and reimbursement of professional dues.
Applications will be accepted until February 28th, 2013. All resumes will be held in confidence.
Please apply in confidence by forwarding your resume and cover letter by e-mail (as an attachment in PDF or MS Word format with “Health and Safety Manager Application” in the e-mail subject line) to the email address provided.
We thank all interested applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants short-listed will be contacted.