Stewart Title Guaranty Company Employee Reviews

don't work for Stewart
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Nowhere, OKApril 19, 2016
First off Stewart are liars their hr lady walked around firing people and intimidating employees daily. Stewart wanted employees to work on a holiday and no pay overtime the management didn't know a thing about their job one supervisor would take 2-3 hour lunches and got away with it Stewart discriminated against the non white employees. Stewart just laid off 450 people no job security and Stewart forced employees to sign a voluntary resignation form and if you didn't sign it you were fired that same day people that had been with the company 40 plus years only got .10 percent of a severance Stewart is a low down horrible company don't work there
Pros
No pros
Cons
Management pay
Stewart is an old, sinking ship
Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 28, 2016
Stewart has gone from a family run, honest company to a corporate greed infested cesspool. Upper management has no interest in their subordinates. They have frozen the lower income employees' salaries for 7 years. They will work you like a dog so the higher ups can continue to grub money. Layoffs are frequent and unexpected. Do not recommend.
Pros
The people Stewart hire as work horses
Cons
No work life balance, not family friendly, awful
Great Workplace with Mediocre Management
Title Specialist III (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 21, 2015
This was one of my favorite employment opportunities, by far. However; the management was terrible. I was great at what I did, and managed one lender by myself and did quite well with the assistance that I was provided. I was hired to work the shift of 10am-7pm CST, but the training hours were 9am-6pm CST. I was then instructed to continue working the training hours to better satisfy the client. Due to daily traffic and parking issues, as well as system/time clock speed, I was not able to actually clock in to the system until 1-3 minutes after my actual start time. This was happening daily. When first coached about this issue, I had requested to alter my shift from 9am-6pm to 9:30am-6:30pm or 9:30am-6pm (with a shorter lunch), as I was informed that this was an option upon being hired. My supervisor stated that she would look into this and get back to me within the next few days. Several weeks had gone by with the same issues. I was coached again and put on a final warning. When I followed up on my request for a shift change, which was only being requested to ensure that I would be clocked in on time, I was denied this request "due to my current attendance issues". Also, I would constantly stay late to ensure that Closings would take place as scheduled, which would determine the actual loan going through as discussed by the client and the customer. This was then used against me when I was terminated, even though the client was constantly praising and thanking me for doing this to ensure the satisfaction of the customer.
Pros
Great Career Opportunity, Great benefits, Amazing salary
Cons
VERY poor management, poor coaching techniques, minimal time provided for improvement
Productive, but TOO much favoritism, too many cheifs not enough Indians
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2014
Love the company as a whole, but absolutely no room for advancement. Bonuses taken away, reviews are required but no raises since... Management hires mostly family/friends first, where as staff is told there are no openings. Assistant to management associates with staff, not acceptable when it comes to confidentiality. Non workets get away with everything, while actually working ppl get blamed for everything. You have been warned, you DO NOT want to work here
Pros
free lunch at month end, laid back atmosphere
Cons
horrible insurance, only smokers get 15min brakes, told to bring your lunch so you don't have to leave for lunch
Dedicated worker
Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 10, 2015
I am a dedicated worker, love to have challenge for learning new job everyday, quick learner and great team work.
It is a great experience to work with Stewart by great management, big company with straight and clear policy, very secured work place.
Not employee retention focused
Legal Files System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Behind the times on policies. Substandard wages, advance into new position but salary remains the same. Heavy micro managing.
Pros
Cons
everything
Could be a decent company under better goals
Commercial Title Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaliforniaApril 4, 2015
Having worked for Stewart Title in California I found that it was a very self-destructed company. Stewart Title was one company you put on the bottom of your list. Their National work was never followed thru with and generally never closed. Their Corporate People took credit for the larger deals because they got commission. They were constantly changing direction and took a 10 plus year success story and destroyed it. The Manager went to Chicago Title and was able to move most if not all of his resale business with him. Employess were removed in mass without even a thank you.
Pros
Local Management door open all the time
Cons
Corporate Management always looking for the cheep way.
Recruiting Coordiantor
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2015
A typical day at work is greeting employees, calling candidates for positons and setting up interviews, handling any HR inquires. I learned how to source and recruit applicants. My coworkers are nice and outgoing. My manager is awesome! She knows when to work and when we can have some free time.
Pros
hour lunches, no micromanaging, flexibility with hours
Cons
people gossip
Too much favoritism in the workplace and not enough office space to accomodate everyone.
Data Control Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 9, 2012
Everyday was the same protocol regarding of claim retrieval, processing, posting, correspondence and reception duties. Real estate law, title insurance, the entire process of claims from filing to settlements.
Upon being hired, the woman who was my manager up until November 2011 was flexible, open-minded, kind, and understanding as well as very encouraging and supportive when learning new tasks.
Hardest part of the job was that the expectations were almost impossible to reach especially when experiencing a backlog of work and not being able to get caught up for a few days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the entire claim process and what it entailed.
Pros
learning a new kind of law, lunch ordered frequently, flexible schedule
Cons
pay rate, no advancement
Got along with everyone.
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 6, 2014
When working for a company, a learned my job and duties to the best of my ability and required little or no supervision. After being there for a while, I was usually the employee that trained all new employees. No problem getting along with all fellow employees as well as the management. I took a lot of pride in my work and would never let anything leave my desk without reviewing it a second time. I was a very organized employee. I really enjoyed working with numbers and handling cash. Cash drawers always balanced without a problem. If there was anything difficult about my position, I would strive even harder to master the requirements.
Love working in this Stewart Title Guaranty Company
Legal Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Tollway Office, Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2014
Typical day at work was reading emails, setting up claims and looking up the policy information.

I learned how the claim department set up and curative title claims.

Management was the very best I have ever had.
Co-works were absolutely the greatest.

Sitting for 8 hours a day.

I loved everything about this office. I am really sad that the lay off happened, but it was a reorganization of the whole claims department.
Pros
enjoyed coming to work.
Cons
hated leaving as stated above.
Reo
Lenders Services (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2014
Don't even think about it! After a 30 year career in the title industry I don't think I can ever walk into another title company. Management has no clue..it is not okay to beat people down.
Lonely
Administrative Assistant/Claims Counsel Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMarch 20, 2014
I have mixed feelings about working for them. I learned so many things but it was because I had initiative. Long hours every day without compensation.
Great people and great place to work
Legal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Boca Ratin FLMarch 7, 2015
This company offered good medical, dental and 401k benefits. Great vacation and sick day accrual. We had an extremely heavy workload and the work environment was stressful but enjoyable. I learned a great deal about title fraud and claims.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
extremely high workload
Family oriented and friendly
Legal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 3, 2014
We knew what we were supposed to do every day and even though things did not go as planned, the upper management understood and offered to assist when they were able to. Even with all the many changes everyone worked together to tune the machine, so to speak, so everyone was able to get their jobs done in an organized fashion.
Pros
good people, received recognition from management.
Cons
frequent lay offs, that is all i have!!
Enjoyed the employees I worked with. Relaxed atmosphere.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  5901 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd. Atlanta, GA. 30328August 9, 2015
I very much enjoyed my time and work at Stewart Title. However, when the last recession hit and the economy went 'bottoms up', I lost my job. So, of course I did not feel secure by any means.
Pros
Was able to work on my own for the most part.
Cons
No real 'cons'; other than I was let go when the last recession hit.
PLEASE BEWARE OF STEWART AND ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES
IT worker (Current Employee) –  ANYWHERE, USAMarch 22, 2015
Stewart is in the process of OUTSOURCING the entire IT organization to offshore companies. They have already started the layoffs or as the impacted employees call it, forced "voluntarily resignation". Severance packages are half normal industry standards and the stipulations to get it are many. Also, you cannot get unemployment since you are "voluntarily resigning" Eventually about 500 IT people will be out of jobs and possibly thousands more throughout other departments after all the budget cuts are said and done. The CIO was asleep at the wheel and from what i understand this is the second company that has imploded on itself while he was at the helm. The CIO conveniently jumped ship and resigned right at the announcement of the outsourcing. Also, people seem to get promoted to management positions according to how long they have been at the company or by popularity, NOT based on merit and experience. The result is that few of the managers know what they are doing. Walking down the hall, every other door has a VP sign on it. at times it seems like there are more VPs than regular employees. The company would be better off if the people down at the bottom lead the organization. Stewart provides excellent title, escrow and title guarantee services and for the most part the regular employees are good hardworking people but they have a very uncertain future at the moment. Thats too bad for a once great company that has been around since the 1840's
Pros
casual workplace, good people to work with
Cons
blind leading the blind.
An honesty company to work for and to have great managers.
Quality Control/Auditor/Curative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Near the GalleriaOctober 29, 2014
I enjoy going to work and assisting our clients and staff members when they are in need of assistance. I like teaching them the right way when I am tough something new. Sharing the knowledge is a must for a great team.
Stable Company
National Closing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2013
Stewart has a lot of opportunities for growth and appreciates their employees for their hard work and diligence. A laid back and successful company in which I enjoyed working for and would not mind working for again.
The name of Stewart is a great company to work for!
National Relocation Coordinator /Post Closing (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2014
The name of Stewart is a great company to work for!

Productivity use to be well balanced, work was fun. I enjoyed coming to work everyday.

2.9