Stewart Title Guaranty Company Employee Reviews

Poorly managed, runs like a pyramid scheme with those at the top well taken care of
Escrow Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX8 October 2016
I read and overlooked these prior reviews when accepting a position at Stewart Title. I was a two year employee and my comments are similar to the other posts here. Being that I am a fair individual I will share both the pros and cons as objectively as possible. Based on the severity of the cons, if you are considering employment and have another offer elsewhere or the possibility of an offer elsewhere then pass on Stewart. This company is poorly managed and lacks appreciation for the core of their company, those who earn the least but responsible for most of the work.
Pros
Great insurance benefits and the overall benefit package is competitive, managers are highly compensated, upper management commission structure is good
Cons
Management style is tyranny and over compensated as lower employees do all the work, management hires family and friends prior to ever posting a position, HR covers up these practices because they are involved in it, no merit raises, most employees have negative attitudes likely due to poorly managed and unethical business culture, no real chain of command.
Great Company
Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO27 December 2016
I worked her as a Temp to get my foot in the door with Real estate. I loved it and it helped me get the experience I needed in order to move up to a full time position.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
No Benefits
Petty adults and no management
Appraisal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE20 January 2017
The work was easy, if you are trained properly which is typically not the case. People you shadow to train with all tell you different things and then you get report cards against you for doing what you were trained do. Management is terrible, you go to them with concerns and they make you feel like you are an idiot but the minions all see the same problems. Everyone talks about each other behind everyones backs, management and supervisors included. Extremely unprofessional workplace. Save yourself time and do not take a job at this location, it is a revolving door and once business slows down they will just get rid of you.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management, poor training
Nothing long term
Appraiser Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE11 January 2017
Your typical day at work has a set routine and very boring. Co-workers always complained and talk about each other behind their back. No structured training. Management is very disengaged and poor communication. By far worst company I've worked for. The only enjoyable thing was an hour lunch. Long story short i quit.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
Stewart is an old, sinking ship
Worker (Former Employee) –  United States28 June 2016
Stewart has gone from a family run, honest company to a corporate greed infested cesspool. Upper management has no interest in their subordinates. They have frozen the lower income employees' salaries for 7 years. They will work you like a dog so the higher ups can continue to grub money. Layoffs are frequent and unexpected. Do not recommend.
Pros
The people Stewart hire as work horses
Cons
No work life balance, not family friendly, awful
don't work for Stewart
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Nowhere, OK19 April 2016
First off Stewart are liars their hr lady walked around firing people and intimidating employees daily. Stewart wanted employees to work on a holiday and no pay overtime the management didn't know a thing about their job one supervisor would take 2-3 hour lunches and got away with it Stewart discriminated against the non white employees. Stewart just laid off 450 people no job security and Stewart forced employees to sign a voluntary resignation form and if you didn't sign it you were fired that same day people that had been with the company 40 plus years only got .10 percent of a severance Stewart is a low down horrible company don't work there
Pros
No pros
Cons
Management pay
interactive learning environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA3 January 2017
getting to go to many luncheons multiple times a week interacting with big names in the business. learning paperwork such as deeds of trusts and invoicing. huge learning opportunity within a short 6 weeks.
Pros
free luncheons, speakers, learning everything you can about the business
What I learned
Escrow Assistant/funder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX16 July 2016
I worked as an escrow assistant/funder for a few years at Stewart Title in Houston. I had worked for them before at a different location but left that for a better location. When I applied the second time, even though I was going through an employment agency, I was given an undeserved bad comment from the past supervisor. I had no idea why as when I worked with her she seemed to like my work very much and I left on good terms with proper notice. However the new manager wisely overlooked her emotional comments and hired me where I once again did a very good job in my new position. I left to go to school full time. While I was there I enjoyed the work, had a lot to do and they were good at letting you learn new things. The pay was average and they managed the staff and work schedules fairly well. The office manager at the time was given a bad rep by many of the females there however I found him to be very reasonable and sensible and also mindful of getting the job done and done right. Maybe that was what they didn't like.
Pros
Lots of work, good opportunities, good pay
Cons
Very hectic at times
Productive, but TOO much favoritism, too many cheifs not enough Indians
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX22 June 2014
Love the company as a whole, but absolutely no room for advancement. Bonuses taken away, reviews are required but no raises since... Management hires mostly family/friends first, where as staff is told there are no openings. Assistant to management associates with staff, not acceptable when it comes to confidentiality. Non workets get away with everything, while actually working ppl get blamed for everything. You have been warned, you DO NOT want to work here
Pros
Free lunch at month end, laid back atmosphere
Cons
horrible insurance, only smokers get 15min brakes, told to bring your lunch so you don't have to leave for lunch
Not employee retention focused
Legal Files System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX13 October 2015
Behind the times on policies. Substandard wages, advance into new position but salary remains the same. Heavy micro managing.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great Workplace with Mediocre Management
Title Specialist III (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO21 October 2015
This was one of my favorite employment opportunities, by far. However; the management was terrible. I was great at what I did, and managed one lender by myself and did quite well with the assistance that I was provided. I was hired to work the shift of 10am-7pm CST, but the training hours were 9am-6pm CST. I was then instructed to continue working the training hours to better satisfy the client. Due to daily traffic and parking issues, as well as system/time clock speed, I was not able to actually clock in to the system until 1-3 minutes after my actual start time. This was happening daily. When first coached about this issue, I had requested to alter my shift from 9am-6pm to 9:30am-6:30pm or 9:30am-6pm (with a shorter lunch), as I was informed that this was an option upon being hired. My supervisor stated that she would look into this and get back to me within the next few days. Several weeks had gone by with the same issues. I was coached again and put on a final warning. When I followed up on my request for a shift change, which was only being requested to ensure that I would be clocked in on time, I was denied this request "due to my current attendance issues". Also, I would constantly stay late to ensure that Closings would take place as scheduled, which would determine the actual loan going through as discussed by the client and the customer. This was then used against me when I was terminated, even though the client was constantly praising and thanking me for doing this to ensure the satisfaction of the customer.
Pros
Great Career Opportunity, Great benefits, Amazing salary
Cons
VERY poor management, poor coaching techniques, minimal time provided for improvement
Great people and great place to work
Legal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Boca Ratin FL7 March 2015
This company offered good medical, dental and 401k benefits. Great vacation and sick day accrual. We had an extremely heavy workload and the work environment was stressful but enjoyable. I learned a great deal about title fraud and claims.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Extremely high workload
Lonely
Administrative Assistant/Claims Counsel Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PR20 March 2014
I have mixed feelings about working for them. I learned so many things but it was because I had initiative. Long hours every day without compensation.
Could be a decent company under better goals
Commercial Title Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, California4 April 2015
Having worked for Stewart Title in California I found that it was a very self-destructed company. Stewart Title was one company you put on the bottom of your list. Their National work was never followed thru with and generally never closed. Their Corporate People took credit for the larger deals because they got commission. They were constantly changing direction and took a 10 plus year success story and destroyed it. The Manager went to Chicago Title and was able to move most if not all of his resale business with him. Employess were removed in mass without even a thank you.
Pros
Local Management door open all the time
Cons
Corporate Management always looking for the cheep way.
Too much favoritism in the workplace and not enough office space to accomodate everyone.
Data Control Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA9 April 2012
Everyday was the same protocol regarding of claim retrieval, processing, posting, correspondence and reception duties. Real estate law, title insurance, the entire process of claims from filing to settlements.
Upon being hired, the woman who was my manager up until November 2011 was flexible, open-minded, kind, and understanding as well as very encouraging and supportive when learning new tasks.
Hardest part of the job was that the expectations were almost impossible to reach especially when experiencing a backlog of work and not being able to get caught up for a few days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the entire claim process and what it entailed.
Pros
learning a new kind of law, lunch ordered frequently, flexible schedule
Cons
pay rate, no advancement
Dedicated worker
Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TX10 November 2015
I am a dedicated worker, love to have challenge for learning new job everyday, quick learner and great team work.
It is a great experience to work with Stewart by great management, big company with straight and clear policy, very secured work place.
Got along with everyone.
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FL6 May 2014
When working for a company, a learned my job and duties to the best of my ability and required little or no supervision. After being there for a while, I was usually the employee that trained all new employees. No problem getting along with all fellow employees as well as the management. I took a lot of pride in my work and would never let anything leave my desk without reviewing it a second time. I was a very organized employee. I really enjoyed working with numbers and handling cash. Cash drawers always balanced without a problem. If there was anything difficult about my position, I would strive even harder to master the requirements.
Recruiting Coordiantor
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX3 November 2015
A typical day at work is greeting employees, calling candidates for positons and setting up interviews, handling any HR inquires. I learned how to source and recruit applicants. My coworkers are nice and outgoing. My manager is awesome! She knows when to work and when we can have some free time.
Pros
hour lunches, no micromanaging, flexibility with hours
Cons
people gossip
Love working in this Stewart Title Guaranty Company
Legal Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Tollway Office, Dallas, TX10 November 2014
Typical day at work was reading emails, setting up claims and looking up the policy information.

I learned how the claim department set up and curative title claims.

Management was the very best I have ever had.
Co-works were absolutely the greatest.

Sitting for 8 hours a day.

I loved everything about this office. I am really sad that the lay off happened, but it was a reorganization of the whole claims department.
Pros
Enjoyed coming to work.
Cons
Hated leaving as stated above.
Family oriented and friendly
Legal Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO3 December 2014
We knew what we were supposed to do every day and even though things did not go as planned, the upper management understood and offered to assist when they were able to. Even with all the many changes everyone worked together to tune the machine, so to speak, so everyone was able to get their jobs done in an organized fashion.
Pros
Good people, received recognition from management.
Cons
Frequent lay offs, that is all I have!!

2.7