Steris Employee Reviews

Good culture with advancement opportunities.
Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH1 June 2016
I had a great 17 years at STERIS and enjoyed a lot of success. FDA issues prompted re-organization and cut backs. STERIS has a great culture and great people.
Pros
Culture, advancement, compensation.
Cons
FDA issues, quality issues.
Still grasping at new technologies!
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH2 March 2016
Steris definitely provides one with a sense of job security, but other companies are leaving them in the dust when it comes to the use of new technologies in the workplace (tablets and Notebooks vs desktops). They are also slow to meet candidates halfway on the 'work-from-home' option.

Another area that requires improvement is management. Too often, seasoned personnel are promoted, rather than retrained for a position more suitable to their strengths. The result is poor or mismanaged staff and resources.

In order to attract and keep new talent, they'll have to embrace new leadership and technological approaches.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Technologically lacking, mismanagement of employees and resources
We have free Tea/Coffee with two 20 minutes paid break time
Cath Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MN14 November 2016
A typical day at work. After clocking in, I gown into clean-room attire. On the floor I Calibrate and set all catheters testing equipment and depending on what is ready on the floor, I work on the priority jobs. I learned how to work independently making sure the work is right before it leaves your area to the next staging area. I have very supportive co-workers and we all work as a team. The hardest part is when I have to sacrifice family time to meet production demand. The most enjoyable part is when you I get compliments from the supervisor for job well-done and meeting customer expectations.
Pros
You own your job quality
Cons
Congested work area
Over time
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH12 April 2016
I loved my job at Steris. I worked over time every day I was there. I would pick up my orders, go to the warehouse and fill the order. I would return to my area and re-check that I had all my parts. I would package, label and ship my order. I would load and unload trucks. During my time at Steris I did not have much contact with management . My co workers were great, most were temps, and when they got to almost 6 months they were let go (as was I) The hardest part of my job was working non stop overtime to try and prove what a dedicated worker I was, how badly I wanted to work, and be taught new things. When I received the safety award over workers that had been their for years,
Pros
Learning new jobs, great team, wage, Over Time
Cons
finding out after being told by temp agency that I would be hired, and finding out they don't hire the temps, just job fillers.
Productive work environment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TX5 April 2016
A typical day at work could be described as busy. I learned that working together as one can get the job completed faster and more professional. My co workers and I arrive, get all the materials needed for the day and start working as a team to get all tasks done. I would say the hardest thing about my job are the twelve hour shifts and my most enjoyable thing about my job is the pay and management.
Sterilization Company
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJ17 October 2016
A sterilization Company located close to garden state parkway and NJ turnpike. Two 12 hour shift operation. I enjoyed my job and performed it to well increasing accuracy and decreasing errors, .
Ego driven company and low pay
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mentor18 July 2014
This company should be a multi-billion dollar company but just can't get over the hump. The upper management is so ego driven it has blinded them from making good decisions. The salary is a far cry from being competitive with other companies in the area. This company could be considered the minor leagues, "Single A", division of professional work places. Go here to get experience and learn how managers blinded by their own egoes use individuals as rungs on their ladders to success. If you can keep your head down, mouth shut, and do your job, you will be worth a minimum of $15,000-$20,000 more at your next job. STERIS is a great learning tool but should not be considered as a long term career.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Cheapskates and ego driven decisions
Clean workplace
Bio Production (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OH14 March 2016
The company is very strong on safety and cleanliness.We are required to fill out documentation for all work lots compliant with FDA regulations for medical products.
I Learned production skills through Procedures how to work efficiently to customer needs.
Benefits
Cons
Needs better organization
The list is too long for words
Prefer not to answer (Current Employee) –  United States19 February 2015
Management is horrible and they need to learn to listen to employees. Management intimidates employees and there is too much favoritism visibly displayed for some employees. The work load is unfair between employees within the department and top performers are often overlooked. Difficult projects and tasks become more difficult because management is clueless. Meetings are held just to have a meeting with little to no accomplishment with an end result being to schedule the next meeting. Overall, there is management overload with only a few worker bees.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Poor management, no advancement, expected long hours without comp time
A typical day at work
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Mogi das Cruzes, SP, Brazil1 August 2015
Fun and hard work place with supportive management.
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected a big company
Decent depending on the position
Surgical Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA13 February 2016
Having been recently hired with the company that had acquired several other companies in the past, everything here is kind of a cluster. The systems, administration and training is still being decided on as people bicker which method is the best.

Training is 4 weeks for the Clinical Repair Consultants and Surgical Repair Technicians which isn't a lot in the industry. Scissors as of Jan. 2016 is not part of the Surgical Repair Technician training program yet they expect you to serve the hospitals (note: the quickest way to get kicked from the hospital is to screw up the scissors).

The administration for the mobile (trucks) gets hectic at times when you got to track expenses for the truck, supplies, tools, conduct repairs, charging for repairs, track trays and maintenance. You also fill out DOT logs for the trucks, do expense reports, end of the day reports for each hospital that day, keeping random records of the truck, dealing with hospital staff, etc. You will be doing all of this as a Clinical Repair Consultant and some of this stuff as a Surgical Repair Tech depending on the territory. For me, they have me as a tech but doing more Clinical Repair Consultant responsibilities.

Some days are easy and others are not. Generally there is no way to tell. Clinical Repair Consultants are salaried and get 1% commission. The Surgical Repair Techs are hourly and starting pay isn't great. There are also constant phone conferences which adds to the work you already have.

Being able to constantly move and multi-task are key to both positions. If you have basic mechanical skills,
  more... organization skill, and can drive a large vehicle (if you are assigned to the truck) you are set. In one day you may have to travel over a hundred miles just to service an account. Sometimes when the customer is late giving you trays it sets everything back and ruins your job.  less
Pros
Benefits like health and 401k are decent, my team is good so far, opportunity for overtime for hourly guys
Cons
Things keep changing, it's sometimes hard to know what is expected, accounts aren't geographically ideal at times, shortage of people, training can be more organized for new hires.
dont come work here
material Handler (Former Employee) –  Grand prairie Texas18 May 2015
Worked hard for 7yrs then corporate comes to town an runs everyone off leaveing very few material handlers to pick up the process an when u cant an get burned out workin 12hr shifts they want to terminate you no employment opportunities management buddy system thy never paid me my last check took all my unused vac an left me in the dirt thats what i get for breakin my back for 7yrs my back is all messed up from all the yrs use in there junky forklifts thanks steris isomedix i gave u my back an u guys gave me nothing Cosmed should have never sold u guys there company now i know why u guys went through so many general managers
Pros
Cons
buddy system
Clinical Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO29 January 2016
Great work relationship with all staff members open door policy welcoming all comments and suggestions. If I did not have aging parent to take care of I would still be there
Patient focused company
Clinical Operations Manager, IMS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL29 January 2016
Making patients safer is the model of Steris Corp. Company that is focused to provide excellent patient care while focusing on costumer's support to do so.
Productive and a decent job to have and work for.
Welder, Packer, Cup Plugger, Cartoner, Spider (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH15 December 2014
A typical day at work was always a decent day. Busy but I and my co-workers always had a good time at work. Not because we enjoyed the work so much but because we always enjoyed each others personalities as well. I truly have a lot of respect and love for my past co-workers, I still communicate with some of them to this day. I learned how to weld, pack, make cups, carton. I also learned a lot about acid and powder. The management there was okay but they were kind of lousy some of them also played favoritism and racism. The hardest part of my job is when productivity and the line is moving at well pace but one of the machines would go down and us employees would have to switch up the pace and tolerate the machine until maintenance figured out the problem. Most enjoyable part of the day were my co-workers and their good attitudes and friendship.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Short breaks
Good teamwork, great customers, great industry
Customer Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke Hampshire25 July 2012
Although my job role is mainly the contracts administrator I am also lucky enough to be able to have the opportunity to help out my work colleagues when I have quiet periods. Processing orders, quotes and scheduling engineers. This being due to having a boss and team mates who kindly agreed to teach me their job roles and the computer systems they are using. I have a great relationship with our engineers and their managers and enjoy it when I get the chance to work with them. The part about my job that I most appreciate and enjoy is the good rapport that I have built with our customers over the few years I have worked at Steris. I am also proud to have previously worked and now work within the pharmaceutical industry.
Pros
great colleagues, great customers and happy atmosphere
Cons
lack of job security - many redundancies made already (worldwide)
worst company ever
TIG Welder (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH9 March 2014
This has got to be the worst company I ever work for. I've never bin cheated or lied to at any other company I've worked for like I did at steris. I quit a really good job to work here because of everything they promised me in all my interviews. And a lot of the things that were promised are in the hand book. But when it came time to deliver they act like they don't know what your talking about. Management and the supervisors are a joke they are unqualified and have no idea on how to run a company. They are hurting for workers so bad but they are firing people all the time for no reason at all. So don't work here unless you want to get low pay and treated like bad.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no leadership
Low Pay, long hours
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  California14 September 2013
As a Field Service Rep you will work on equipment constantly that you have not been trained on. Once you get done with the initial "basic" training you will not receive any more formal training on any new products or existing products that you must support. The benefits are standard for the industry, the pay is low for the industry. Steris expects a certain amount of work to be performed during a day and if it takes 10 hours to get it done you only get paid for 8. The turnover of Field Service Techs is very high even during this great recession due to burnout and low pay and Steris does not seem concerned.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low pay, lack of training, burnout.
Worst company ever worked for
Nunnya (Former Employee) –  US14 January 2014
This is by far the worst company i have ever worked for. Pay is the worst in the industry! Trust me i found out the hard way! Please do research before you work here. They like to tell you positive things to get you to work because the turn around of employees is very high! I should have known when things seem to good to be true. Granted there arent a lot of jobs out there but working for burger king or mc donalds or wendys would be a better carrer then working for Steris or any other company they have purschased. Management is very unworthy , liars , ignorant , childish, dont care about you , and need more training.
Pros
Cons
All of the above
Run Dont walk from Here
Shipping, CSR (Former Employee) –  Stow Ohio13 December 2013
Very unprofessional, and low paying company with a constant turn over and people that are barely qualified to be your boss.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Pay, No advancement, Politics

2.9