Steris Employee Reviews

Productive work environment
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 5, 2016
A typical day at work could be described as busy. I learned that working together as one can get the job completed faster and more professional. My co workers and I arrive, get all the materials needed for the day and start working as a team to get all tasks done. I would say the hardest thing about my job are the twelve hour shifts and my most enjoyable thing about my job is the pay and management.
Over time
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 12, 2016
I loved my job at Steris. I worked over time every day I was there. I would pick up my orders, go to the warehouse and fill the order. I would return to my area and re-check that I had all my parts. I would package, label and ship my order. I would load and unload trucks. During my time at Steris I did not have much contact with management . My co workers were great, most were temps, and when they got to almost 6 months they were let go (as was I) The hardest part of my job was working non stop overtime to try and prove what a dedicated worker I was, how badly I wanted to work, and be taught new things. When I received the safety award over workers that had been their for years,
Pros
Learning new jobs, great team, wage, Over Time
Cons
finding out after being told by temp agency that I would be hired, and finding out they don't hire the temps, just job fillers.
Good culture with advancement opportunities.
Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 1, 2016
I had a great 17 years at STERIS and enjoyed a lot of success. FDA issues prompted re-organization and cut backs. STERIS has a great culture and great people.
Pros
Culture, advancement, compensation.
Cons
FDA issues, quality issues.
Still grasping at new technologies!
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHMarch 2, 2016
Steris definitely provides one with a sense of job security, but other companies are leaving them in the dust when it comes to the use of new technologies in the workplace (tablets and Notebooks vs desktops). They are also slow to meet candidates halfway on the 'work-from-home' option.

Another area that requires improvement is management. Too often, seasoned personnel are promoted, rather than retrained for a position more suitable to their strengths. The result is poor or mismanaged staff and resources.

In order to attract and keep new talent, they'll have to embrace new leadership and technological approaches.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Technologically lacking, mismanagement of employees and resources
Clinical Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2016
Great work relationship with all staff members open door policy welcoming all comments and suggestions. If I did not have aging parent to take care of I would still be there
Patient focused company
Clinical Operations Manager, IMS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
Making patients safer is the model of Steris Corp. Company that is focused to provide excellent patient care while focusing on costumer's support to do so.
dont come work here
material Handler (Former Employee) –  Grand prairie TexasMay 18, 2015
Worked hard for 7yrs then corporate comes to town an runs everyone off leaveing very few material handlers to pick up the process an when u cant an get burned out workin 12hr shifts they want to terminate you no employment opportunities management buddy system thy never paid me my last check took all my unused vac an left me in the dirt thats what i get for breakin my back for 7yrs my back is all messed up from all the yrs use in there junky forklifts thanks steris isomedix i gave u my back an u guys gave me nothing Cosmed should have never sold u guys there company now i know why u guys went through so many general managers
Pros
Cons
buddy system
The list is too long for words
Prefer not to answer (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 19, 2015
Management is horrible and they need to learn to listen to employees. Management intimidates employees and there is too much favoritism visibly displayed for some employees. The work load is unfair between employees within the department and top performers are often overlooked. Difficult projects and tasks become more difficult because management is clueless. Meetings are held just to have a meeting with little to no accomplishment with an end result being to schedule the next meeting. Overall, there is management overload with only a few worker bees.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
poor management, no advancement, expected long hours without comp time
A typical day at work
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Mogi das Cruzes, SP, BrazilAugust 1, 2015
Fun and hard work place with supportive management.
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected a big company
Upper management horrible
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MentorJune 12, 2014
It could be a great place to work. It once was. The upper management is so egotistical that they stunt the company. They let their egos get in the way of doing the right thing. This company will not be around in 10 years. Anyone who was good in management either left years ago or were forced out by the current regime.

They let the main product line that built the entire company die because egos would not play nice with the FDA. That line accounted for 50% of all company profit from one building.
Pros
used to be good
Cons
current upper management
Ego driven company and low pay
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  MentorJuly 18, 2014
This company should be a multi-billion dollar company but just can't get over the hump. The upper management is so ego driven it has blinded them from making good decisions. The salary is a far cry from being competitive with other companies in the area. This company could be considered the minor leagues, "Single A", division of professional work places. Go here to get experience and learn how managers blinded by their own egoes use individuals as rungs on their ladders to success. If you can keep your head down, mouth shut, and do your job, you will be worth a minimum of $15,000-$20,000 more at your next job. STERIS is a great learning tool but should not be considered as a long term career.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
cheapskates and ego driven decisions
Long hours empty promises
QSRC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 2, 2014
Too many 12 hour shifts (when 8 hours is scheduled)...HR and management was aware and did nothing to stop the hostile environment. Verbal promises were made and never kept, in fact, instead of promise being up held, was instructed to train person in position I was promised and then terminated. No concern of employees , it's what management wants and how they operate.
Cons
weak management
worst company ever
TIG Welder (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHMarch 9, 2014
This has got to be the worst company I ever work for. I've never bin cheated or lied to at any other company I've worked for like I did at steris. I quit a really good job to work here because of everything they promised me in all my interviews. And a lot of the things that were promised are in the hand book. But when it came time to deliver they act like they don't know what your talking about. Management and the supervisors are a joke they are unqualified and have no idea on how to run a company. They are hurting for workers so bad but they are firing people all the time for no reason at all. So don't work here unless you want to get low pay and treated like bad.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no leadership
Results Driven Sales Professional
Consumable Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Field Sales - Buffalo/RochesterFebruary 23, 2014
Sales Professional that is proven results driven! Committed to company and customer focus. A typical work day consists of 3 - 4 Acute Care facilites with multiple call points; business hours spent in the field and office work in the evening. Excellent and lifelong relationships with co-workers and customers. I enjoy face to face customer interaction and providing new and innovative solutions to meet their needs.
Pros
customers and sucess!
Worst company ever worked for
Nunnya (Former Employee) –  USJanuary 14, 2014
This is by far the worst company i have ever worked for. Pay is the worst in the industry! Trust me i found out the hard way! Please do research before you work here. They like to tell you positive things to get you to work because the turn around of employees is very high! I should have known when things seem to good to be true. Granted there arent a lot of jobs out there but working for burger king or mc donalds or wendys would be a better carrer then working for Steris or any other company they have purschased. Management is very unworthy , liars , ignorant , childish, dont care about you , and need more training.
Cons
all of the above
Low Pay, long hours
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 14, 2013
As a Field Service Rep you will work on equipment constantly that you have not been trained on. Once you get done with the initial "basic" training you will not receive any more formal training on any new products or existing products that you must support. The benefits are standard for the industry, the pay is low for the industry. Steris expects a certain amount of work to be performed during a day and if it takes 10 hours to get it done you only get paid for 8. The turnover of Field Service Techs is very high even during this great recession due to burnout and low pay and Steris does not seem concerned.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
low pay, lack of training, burnout.
long hours no life balance
Field Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Orange county califApril 12, 2013
Company states Life Balance but when you are on the road 5-6 hours and expected to work also an eight hour day on top , it sounds a little empty. Was bait and switch with job offer , after 3 weeks was told i would be working in different area than hired for.
Most of the field techs were burned out with there job and very angry with the company , no customer service , lots of promises about it getting better. Most senior techs dropping out so no help in the field.
Thats why the job opening. Ask lots of questions before starting with this company.
Pros
van
Cons
time to travel, low pay, promises not fullfilled
Productive and a decent job to have and work for.
Welder, Packer, Cup Plugger, Cartoner, Spider (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHDecember 15, 2014
A typical day at work was always a decent day. Busy but I and my co-workers always had a good time at work. Not because we enjoyed the work so much but because we always enjoyed each others personalities as well. I truly have a lot of respect and love for my past co-workers, I still communicate with some of them to this day. I learned how to weld, pack, make cups, carton. I also learned a lot about acid and powder. The management there was okay but they were kind of lousy some of them also played favoritism and racism. The hardest part of my job is when productivity and the line is moving at well pace but one of the machines would go down and us employees would have to switch up the pace and tolerate the machine until maintenance figured out the problem. Most enjoyable part of the day were my co-workers and their good attitudes and friendship.
Pros
good people
Cons
short breaks
great place to work with many benefits
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 16, 2013
a typical day at work was fun; i learned many different things from running machines to assemblying. management was awsome and also fair, i liked my co-workers they were all good people, to me there was no hard part to the job, because i really enjoyed working there and the most enjoyable part of the job was walking in the morning and start working
It is a job
Chemical Packer (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 9, 2015
If you want a stable work place. Coworkers are wonderful. Clean factory but they can hinder you from working overtime. The hours are great but pay could be better.
Pros
the hours are great
Cons
the line leaders could be better

2.9