STEP Energy Services Employee Reviews

You won't regret the switch.
Chemvan Professional (Current Employee) –  Redcliff, AB21 November 2017
Just like you, I seen all the ads, and wanted to find out a little more about this company, but never made the time. Until friends started telling me so many great things about STEP.

From day 1, you are treated like a family member, and looked at as a professional. Everyone is happy to come to work, and shows a positive attitude.

I'm new to STEP, and I love the culture set fourth. Benefits are some of the best in the industry, and the grass so far is the greenest yet!
Pros
Top notch benefits, lots of support staff, maintained equipment
Excellent
Sand operator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 October 2017
Step energy is an excellent company to work for. The training they provide for both new and experienced professionals is second to none. I have never had a company where the company leaders personally talk about their experiences with new employees and answer any question new recruits may have. Even with their explosive growth they managed to out weather the downturn and are now continuing their expansion. The possibilities for career advancement seem endless as well and they are willing to get you to where you want to go. I would definitely recommend Step whether new or experienced.
Pros
Pay, benefits, the people
Cons
So far none
Welcoming environment with forward thinking
Jr. Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 September 2017
I've been employed with STEP now for just over two weeks and I have to say it's been an exceptional experience thus far. The level of training that they put into their professionals far exceed's any other employer I've worked for in the past. Do we have areas where we can improve? Absolutely, but leadership is more than open to hearing possible solutions to any issues you bring forward which is a refreshing change.
Pros
Leaders are actually interested in getting to know their workers
Cons
Due to an increase in the number of employees the building is getting a little squishy.
Like most Service company's they where an Excellent company to work for In the Beaning. But Management in my View Change all that.
Coil Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB5 July 2017
This was your Typical Service Company.
workplace Culture was all about Office Staff...
Rig Managers where for the most part Awesome, Office 'op' Management , left much to be desired...
the hardest part of the job was Being away from your Loved ones.
Pros
well Keeped equipment
Cons
Not being Payed Field rate for driving on public roads.
There is nothing at step energy that is noy to dislike
Frac/sand operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 May 2017
They are very welcoming they will answer any questions wether your expérienced or not there training is excellent best ive seen and they treat employees as professionnals not just workers i recommend coming to step.
Great learning experience
Summer Student -Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC10 April 2017
Found the company very welcoming and helpful. Had a culture that made you want to work hard and often felt great about communication within the company.
Amazing company that actually cares for its employees and clients
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alberta17 March 2017
STEP Energy Services truly sticks to their core values, Safety, Trust, Execution, and Possibilities. It is refreshing to work for a company that actually looks after their employees and listens to their clients needs and this is why they are excelling in their field and winning numerous awards.

I am fairly new to STEP, but all the people in the office and technical center have welcomed me and helped me out. They are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and I never feel intimidated to ask fellow professionals for help.

The executives are great people, all are down to earth and are focused on growing the company. They still find time to regularly visit the field and to the other service centers and it really makes you feel like they genuinely care about their employees and the company. There is a strong sense of community in STEP and it feels like everyone supports one another, even across divisions.

This company is headed in the right direction and I could not be more excited to start a career with them and to be a part of the STEP family.
Pros
Excellent culture, down to earth and focused professionals, company that has quality core values and adheres to them
Cons
N/a
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
Great atmosphere to excel at your career, management team was very involved with all employees and communicated very well. Both individual expectations and management expectations were clear and concise, empowered and gave all employees the tools to succeed and advance in their individual careers.
Human Resource Advisor / Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 December 2016
I was hired at STEP after they bought out Gasfrac Energy. My bosses were amazing and taught me so much. The management of the company are strong leaders and great individuals to lead the company.

I enjoyed meeting the new team and learning from the management how to run a successful company. My coworkers were great people who all got along and spoke straight forward.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
n/a
Poor place to be if you dont want to get ahead
Nitrogen operator (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB21 November 2016
Communication between management and staff is full of hidden agendas. You have to be good friends on a personal basis to get along and keep your job. If you show drive, initiatives and ideas they quickly shut you down cause anyone higher than you will be in fear that you are better than them and the back stabbing begins. There is to many unsafe acts within supervisors like excessive drinking after the shift and it made me fearful they were gonna be ready for the next day.
Pros
Equipment and salery
Cons
Have to be buddy buddy with managment
High Performance Culture, Awesome Safety Record, Works for Top Clients
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2016
STEP Energy Services is experienced explosive growth even through this generational downturn. . The High Performance Culture creates accountability, which raises the bar on execution/safety. If you like working for top tiered clients, high utilization, not a lot of shop days, then this is the company
Pros
A sense of ownership for the employees that take the time to celebrate milestones
Excellent Culture
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB7 November 2016
For a company that is getting larger, the family oriented culture remains and safety is of the highest priority. Safety and Execution is talked about daily.

If you want a career where you are expected to be a professional and are also treated like one, this is a great place to be.

I can't say enough good things about STEP employees - Site Managers, Field Professionals, Office Professionals - everyone is respectful of each other in my experience and it makes for a collaborative environment.

The hardest thing for me personally is the rapid growth, but with growth comes expanding opportunities.

STEP also does alot of fun things like BBQ's and sometimes surprise little gifts.
Pros
Professional but fun atmosphere
Cons
Not really any
Great up and coming company to get in on the ground floor
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 July 2016
As the activity level begins to increase, the workload was kept at a comfortable level. High safety standards and quality equipment. Lots of experienced people in the field.
Pros
New equipment
Cons
Lacking leadership in some areas
Excellent Work Culture
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 May 2016
STEP adheres to outstanding safety practices, and I have been instrumental in helping the company attain COR scores of 92% and better consistently.
Pros
Great people
Cons
None to think of
Used to be good
Coil Lead operator (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB25 April 2016
STEP used to be the best company to work for. Now they are to big and don't seem to care about the "STEP" family anymore. The operations manager needs to be more willing to provide the EEE.
Lead hand operator mass (Former Employee) –  BLACKFLADS AB13 January 2016
Based 15 and 7 work shift.
Management was great to work with.
Great safety culture
For the most part co-works were good, a team effort by most
Hardest part of the job would be rig ins at the age 56 its a younger man job if your not in management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the amount you are able to learn, and they are there to help you learn every step of the way
Ok
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC6 December 2015
Alot of lying and bull from office. Backstabbing galore. Managements relatives in the feild level get away with murder. They hire people with no experience and move them up quick because they become drinking buddys. Ly to clients. Dont let the rig manager know your smarter than him or he lets you go
Pros
Money
Away from home a lot!
Pump Operator II (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 September 2015
Great pay and company benefits, in fact the best benefit play I've had the opportunity to be a part of. I would have to say as being a fluid operator, a wonderful environment to be a part of. Job security was the issue as I was the last group of fluid operators to be laid off.
benefits
Cons
security
Positive and fun workplace
Assistant Parts (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB11 June 2015
Great company to work for, very fun and proffesional staff. Lots of opportunity if you are willing to put in the work. Some of the best equipment around and crews to back it up.
Pros
great safety culture
Cons
job availability depends on oil price
Good work, good pay
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 April 2015
Good company to work for, excellent pay. Very safety oriented. Room to learn and grow. Unfortunately due to price of oil, mass lay offs.
Pros
$$$, training, culture.
Cons
Lay offs due to price of oil

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STEP Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.