Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

review
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON16 February 2017
While the job was very easy to learn and to do on a daily basis. The hours and salary were low. Isolated to your own telephone and no interaction with other co-workers.
Pros
easy job
Cons
repetitive
A good place to work
Census Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2017
Statistics Canada
• Worked on telephone help line to process respondent requests and assist callers in completing their questionnaire
• Sorted and processed the paper questionnaire
• Groomed and transcribed paper questionnaire
• Data processing
One of my Favorite Jobs!!!
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Cache Creek, BC7 February 2017
Great balance of work and home life. The pay rate was fair and management was terrific. This was an independent job with regular communications with management. I liked that management took precautions to ensure we had a safe working environment. I loved everything about this job except that it was temporary.
Pros
Loved my job
Cons
Temporary position
Flexible, rewarding, interesting, social...
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario and home office7 February 2017
Conduct various statistical surveys with different respondents, Learn to effectively communicate and 'sell' surveys for maximum response rates while maintaining lower costs and shorter time per units. Workplace culture varies with different supervisors which sometimes makes it difficult to plan a personal work schedule. Workloads and work locations are variable. The best part of the job is the flexibility in regards to work times, the different surveys we conduct and the variety of respondents we make contact with.
Pros
flexible, interesting, good remuneration and benefits
Cons
unreliable work loads, untrained supervisors
A field job and opportunity to meet residents
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
excellent place to work

meet residents face to face and explain them benefits of completing forms

know your area and neighbourhood

net work with co workers
Pros
flexible hours
Was an interesting job working with First Nations
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Pincher Creek, AB2 February 2017
It was a demanding job at times, which I loved. There was always training involved, hiring, support, quality control and travel. I learned a great deal on dealing with First Nations individual and this is something I would definitely do again.
The best
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2017
It was an amazing experience and can't wait to do it again. I'm currently looking for another position in a government field, there is more to learn and greater advancement opportunities.
Managers are obstructive, they have no control
Field Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2017
Extremely disorganised.
Several conflicting agendas in play.
Unbelievable waste of taxpayers money.
Manager out of control - shouting at employees at meetings.
Pros
nice cubicle
Cons
bad managers
Door-to-door collection of information
Enumerator for Census 2016 (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 January 2017
After a classroom training session, we got assigned to a group leader and an area in our neighbourhood. It was a temporary part time position of 20-25 hours per week which allowed for lots of free time. Because of the availability of most working folks, the rounds were mostly done after 5:00 pm.

I enjoyed meeting new people and there was also some computer data input required after completion of the daily round. There was help available for questions through daily contact with the group leader. It was hot last summer so I found it beneficial to do my rounds on my scooter (instead of walking).

Overall I enjoyed my experience and I would do it again.
Pros
You decide the hours you work each day
Cons
Some encounters with unwilling residents with strong opinions
Excellent opportunity to experience the far North of Canada
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2017
A typical day involved long hours (10 to 12 hours), arctic weather, meeting people in their homes, exposure to the Inuit culture and its people. I learned I have the endurance and people skills to these kind of jobs. The management, although heavily bureaucratic worked well enough. My experience with the team was that we enjoyed good leadership and a team with an excellent attitude. The hardest part of the job was to convince some of the people we visited of the importance of the census. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with most of the Inuit I met.
Pros
Free trip to the Arctic
Cons
Distance from my family
fun. lots of walking. short term
Enumerator/Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB17 January 2017
long walks (door to door basically). you're given a turf. you get to make your own schedule. payment isn't bad. paycheck on time. you wont get enough hours to make EI though.
Flexible work hours and a cafeteria
Methodologist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2017
Well organized, with strong support networks.
Co-workers who are pleasant to work with, effort made by management to encourage social bonds between colleagues.
There are plants in the building and you are allowed to bring your own plants to encourage the healthy and cheerful atmosphere of the workplace.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Working in the city
Good contract job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 January 2017
A typical day I would review my summary of dwellings, pack a bag with necessary items, and head to the location I where I would be working. I would spend a few hours doing follow-up, then go back home and update my attempts into the computer. Sometimes I would have a delivery for my Crew Leader.

I learned how to be diplomatic and to listen carefully to a respondant. I learned how to interview respondants. I learned how to write up a refusal, and notice of visits. I learned how to complete a short form and long form questionnaire.

My Crew Leader was great. She was available anytime, easy to talk to, and very organized. She worked very hard.

I got along with most of my coworkers.

The hardest part of my job was trying to change the mind of a person who refused to complete a questionnaire.

The most enjoyable part was meeting lots of respondants.
Pros
Good pay and mileage
Great way to meet new people and experience different cultures
Travel Team Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 January 2017
Long hours, knowledge of area and able to research definite assets.
Hours were very irregular. No time for personal life. Lots of driving and writing.
Pros
Always different scenarios
Managing the team
Crew Lead - contract (Former Employee) –  Moose Factory, ON8 January 2017
I loved supervising and managing the team of 10 I had during this round of 2016 Census.

I loved the directors the way they handled the work load this round.

Enjoyed my time working for 2016 Census.
Pros
Cons
takes time
Survey Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON6 January 2017
The hours are short but you get a high pay good benifitsn but the hours are not reliable. It can be stressful depending on your survey but its a good job
Pros
GOOD MONEY
Cons
HOURS ARE NOT RELIABLE
Productive and friendly environment with alot of benefits
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
A typical day at work would be getting AR-17's ready for the upcoming day and sorting out the completed lists from the days before and then consult with your team lead, then meet up with your guide and drive out to neighboring reserves.
Good temporary job, would perhaps be a good career.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC2 January 2017
Got to work by myself delivering the 2016 census in my home town and the surrounding area. It was not a set amount of hours that you worked in a day or a week, it was very accommodating to my personal life.
I love to work from home
Intervieweuse Principal (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC31 December 2016
I enjoy managing a team of interviewers and like the challenge this work allows me to have. The hardest part of this work is also the best part of my job. I enjoy working from home but miss going out and working with other people.
Pros
I enjoy the relationship with my team members
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Challenging and fulfilling
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 December 2016
Tasks were assigned and I was required to organize my own schedule to contact residents morning, afternoon and evening in various areas in Greater Victoria. Polite persistence required. Considerable detailed paperwork and computer data input required. Vehicle mileage was monitored and needed to be efficient.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short duration of Census 2016 project.

4.2