Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

Dynamic place to work in
Adjointe administrative à la directrice (Former Employee) –  Ottawa-Gatineau, ON9 June 2017
Dynamic place to work in with good opportunities for networking. I was responsible for my director's agenda and meetings, along with data entry and forwarding documents such as mail, memos, contracts, etc.
Good workplace dynamic with other employees.
Recruitment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ohsweken, ON8 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my work here. This was specific to the 2016 Census, so it was contract work, but I really enjoyed working for this branch of our Fed. Gov't and look forward to being of service again.
Cons
Contract work, no guarantees you'll be rehired or your contract job will be turned into a full time position
environnement de travail très productif
Préposé au traitement du recensement (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC2 June 2017
belle expérience et bonne ambiance de travail; travail d'équipe
Loved travelling and greet new people for this job.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB2 June 2017
It was a fun and exciting job with a highly confidential aspect attached. Needed to make sure Respondents filled in the questionnaires properly and also needed to ensure their privacy was in tacked and respected.
Everyday is different
Census Enumerator/ Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Canada1 June 2017
A typical day at work is to go out and meet people that have been selected for a specific survey. I move from community to community depending on the assignment.
I learned and met new people everyday on the job
Pros
Travels
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Flexible and reliable
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  North York, ON25 May 2017
I enjoyed my employment with statistics Canada because the management was very reasonable, approachable, and available anytime for additional help. The job offered me great communication expertise and comfortable work schedule.Team work was great and the experience was motivating.
Pros
Flexible working hours. For example working from home, morning, afternoons, or after hours.
Cons
A lot of travelling was involved in this job.
Great Company
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 May 2017
Enjoyed working with Census Canada. Every day was different. Meet lots of nice people and would do this again no questions asked. The managing staff were excellent. They cared about you, made contact with you and offered ways to help make your working exp an enjoyable exp
Interesting and fun Job (if short lived)
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 May 2017
Working as an enumerator for Statistics Canada was a fantastic experience. I had the pleasure of meeting all sorts of different people in order to obtain their unsubmitted census forms. I also had the responsibility of managing my own schedule and protecting people's confidential information.
Pros
meeting people around the town
Cons
The job did not last long enough
Results driven but easygoing
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 May 2017
Gained valuable leadership experience handling a team. Workplace environment was results driven with the freedom to complete assignments in your own way within the given protocol.
Professional and friendly colleague, Management is below average
Economist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario15 May 2017
Employees are generally very skilled, friendly and professional.
Upper management however lacks competency and resists to necessary changes.
They tend also to be biased toward promoting white people and keep visible minorities at lower positions.
Was a Decent job with good people
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downtown Winnipeg10 May 2017
I would File paper work, pick up and deliver packages,
I learned a lot about being an assistant.
management was pretty good.
the hardest part of the job was dealing with a few people who were uncooperative, and slightly hostile.
Meeting new people and being outside for most the work was great.
Pros
We had a couple Lunch parties.
Cons
nothing really
Easy going job
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2017
Just have to be personable for this job, it could have been more organized the way tasks were carried out but no real complaints, the online systems were easy to use
Very nice job
Agent recenseur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 May 2017
I loved to work for Statistic Canada even if it was only for three months. The job was really nice and the salary helped me to pay for my tuition. I would work for them again anytime.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
too short
loved them
Census Crew-Leader (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC5 May 2017
Made sure that everything needed was available to complete the process in a timely manner. good Training provided and continued support during the Census period.
Government employment
Nonresponse Followup (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 May 2017
A typical day was doing address specific door to door and asking people to fill out a census form. The biggest thing I learned was that I can only assist people who want to be helped, and if people don't want to do something, they won't do it even if I am willing to help them. Management and the workplace culture were both great. The hardest part of the job was getting reluctant people to fill out a census form. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people in my neighbourhood and spending time outside.
Pros
Government security clearance, and manageable hours
Cons
reluctant people, inclement weather
very boring
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 May 2017
not a great place to work. Treated everyone differently depending on who you knew.
Very unpredictable scheduling and seldom listened to advanced requests for certain days off.
Intense and efficent
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 April 2017
Very good experience. I would apply again if I had another opportunity. Learning new things, making new contacts and taking new responsabilities was a pleasant challenge.
Pros and Cons of Working at Stats Canada
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2017
I would rate my experience at Statistics Canada as being very fulfilling. Every afternoon, I would go out for approximately 4-5 hours and get those whose census had not yet been filled out to complete either the short or long form census. I met and worked with a great variety of interesting and friendly people along the way. Moreover, it was not only a source of exercise, but it also made me feel like I was contributing to the public good, as the data form the census is used in planning a wide variety of public policies.
Pros
Very good hours, met many different people, contributing to public good
Cons
Lots of walking around, sometimes into unfamiliar locations
Repetitive, but Interesting work.
Edits team (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 April 2017
I worked as part of the Canadian Census team, which entailed shift work and a contract. Unfortunately the nature of the job left some questions about whether or not the contract would be completed, but in my experience everyone was able to work their entire term.
Contract, full time summer job
Census Processing (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 April 2017
This was a full time job 7-3pm, Monday to Friday. Typical day at work was opening up census forms and transferring the information on the page into the computer. The best part of the job was the co-workers and management, everyone got along really well and made the day enjoyable. Unfortunately the contract did end early as they over-estimated the amount of forms that would come in.
Pros
full time work for students
Cons
contract ended early

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Statistics Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2