Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Went to people's homes to give the cost of living survey.
Interviewer (Former Employee), Stephenville, NLDecember 2, 2015
Pros: Worked my own hours.
Cons: Did not like asking such personal questions to people.
I enjoyed working my own hours. My supervisor was living/working approximately 3 hours away. I felt uncomfortable doing this survey as I did not think that the government needed to know a lot of these personal information.
Stats Canada
Poll Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
My supervisors were very knowledgeable and provided me with the proper tools and training to help me excel above and beyond in my position.
Terrible culture- great pay
Junior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 8, 2015
Pros: Pay, Benefits, hours
Cons: Culture
Work culture is sad at times- many people are so lazy. However, pay is very good and benefits are top of the line. Hours are great and demands are relatively low for the average employee.
Productive and enjoyable job
Statistician (Former Employee), Port Hawkesbury, NSOctober 13, 2015
We had an very extensive training session. Throughout our session we were able to meet new team members who then became friends. We shared lots of laughs during our training, and this helped to ease the stress of the amount of paperwork that was involved in our jobs.

This job helped me to zone in on my organizational skills as I had 3 small children at home waiting to greet me when I walked through the door at night. It made me realize the demographics of the people in our area that I was never exposed to before.

It was great to get out in the public and meet new people of our area.
good experience
census clerk (Former Employee), toronto onSeptember 29, 2015
I learned a lot about the whole census process and the information gathering to make it successful.I was working for a great team and enjoyed the job.
Great learning curve
Crew Leader (Former Employee), East Parry SoundSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Opportunity to develop individual skills in time management
Cons: Job didn't last long enough
In my position I was able to encourage enumerators to do a good job and how to accomplish that task. I was able to get them to work together and cover for others when problems arose. I met a lot of really nice people in the organization. But the hardest part was having to talk to one individual regarding his mode of dress that was unacceptable for someone meeting the public and eventually was required to remove him from the position.
The best part is the friends that were made and continue to this day.
Amazing, Fast Paced & Fun
Testing & Selection Clerk (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Statistics Canada. We were a busy team of five people doing testing and selection of canvassers for the Kelowna, BC area. It was interesting work and challenging as there were always tight deadlines.
The best part about the position was the team was very well matched and we enjoyed our time working together.
Good fellow employees, interesting job
Interviewer, Survey of Household Spending (Former Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: Meeting and helping people
Cons: Term or contract position
Meeting people and completing a survey of their income and spending, assisting people in working on a budget and identifying where the spent their money over the past 12 months.
Good work environment
Census Representative and Crew Leader (Former Employee), Prince George, BCSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: Good pay for living out allowances
Cons: Long hours, travel, and some stress
It has a good preparation setup and good well educated people in leadership. the job is good for one who likes to work and to meet new people. Overall the work is good, the pay is good, and there is some stress involved near the end of the work.
Well organized and
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee), Sturgeon Falls, ONAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Unionized, benifits, fair management
Cons: Part-time, high turnover, little room for advancement
As a telephone interviewer it is my job to contact private households as well as businesses to conduct statistical surveys. In a typical day, I can speak to anywhere from 60 to 100+ individuals on issues regarding health, labour relations, time management, business expenditures or any number of other topics. It is my responsibility to solicit their participation and to maintain a respectful dialogue at all times. Although this work is strictly regulated, it is very self-motivating. I am responsible for managing my own time and appointments and am expected to meet general production rates.

Although the management team is very respectful and well trained, the fact that there are such a large number of them leads to discrepancies in the instruction from one supervisor to the next. This furthers the self-motivating aspect of the work in that the interviewers are often left to use their own judgement when dealing with uncertainties or difficult situations.

The most challenging part of my job also happens to be what makes it so simple; it is very repetitive. It can be challenging to maintain the same level of enthusiasm throughout the day when you're simply repeating the same action over for hours at a time. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is, by far, my co-workers. The office supervisors do an excellent job of maintaining a respectful and enjoyable work environment which makes it easier for the employees to develop relationships and work as a team.
No job security and extremely limited opportunities for promotion
Field Interviewer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours
Cons: No job security and limited opportunities for growth
While I liked the flexibility in my work hours, I absolutely couldn't put up with the fact that there was minimal job security, if not at all.

First of all, you're hired on short-term contracts. On top of that, you're, more often than not, hired on a part-time basis. The pay is approximately $15 per hour, which is peanuts depending on the stress you get in the line of your work. (To be fair, there are additional benefits, but they do not do justice to the efforts you put in and risks associated with the job, including assaults, hazards, etc.)

Second, opportunities to get hired on a permanent basis or at least on a full-time contract basis are limited. Even if you perform well on the job, there's no guarantee that you'll be recommended to become a core interviewer.

Third, efficiency is often not rewarded. You can reach your performance target in, say, 10 hours; your colleague works 25 hours to achieve the target. In reviewing your performance -- which is not even discussed with you in detail -- you will be given an extension contract on worse terms, by which I mean the absence of certain benefits.

Fourth, I didn't know how I was performing and where I could improve. In my six months with Statistics Canada, not once did I have a formal performance review with my line manager.

Fifth, interviewers often don't see their role in the big picture. Many interviewers just think about their job, which is data collection. Knowing how important our input is to the success of a survey or project is critical to ensure that interviewers collect high-quality statistical – more... data. – less
good work environment
Interviewer (Former Employee), sherbrooke, QuebecJuly 14, 2015
Pros: boring
Cons: good pay
Call people and interview them about various subjects such as farming ect ...

Time went by very slowly, very repetitive job and tasks.

Never had to work overtime always finished on time.
Excellent working environment and staff
Quality Control Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: environment, staff, location
Cons: none
Hours spent reviewing census forms for completeness and accuracy.

Learned to communicate effectively with people who were unsure of the census and it's laws.

Management were amazing. Allowing us to grow and learn.

Co-workers were a group of the most diverse and wonderful people. All ages, all nationalities. We learned alot from each other about our diverse cultures.

The hardest part of the job were the hours. We worked 10-12 hour days but it was worth it in the end.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. We had fun, laughed, worked hard, helped each other and had amazing potluck lunches every other Friday.

I believe that because we knew this was only a 15 week contract job, we all made the best of it and got along and helped each other.

Glad I had the experience.
Avoid by all means
Operational Staff (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2015
Let's start with the good:
- Good job security
- Typically good government benefits
- Rarely have to work overtime

The bad:
- Poor management and leadership
- Toxic work environment
- Non-professional demeanour and attire (white socks on sandals, cargo pants, and baggy wrinkled t-shirts).
- Employees will escalate trivial issue to senior management on a regular basis

Conclusion: Avoid like the plague.
Different job
Phone interviewer (Former Employee), Sturgeon FallsMay 26, 2015
I didnt like this position nor task. All phone interviewers are put in the front line, by doing so we recived many confrontations and abusives interviews. The governement should annonce the survey, it will help cooperation between those who are being called and the interviewers.
Valued my work experience, and a very productive and pleasant work team
Assistant Statistical Clerk (Former Employee), Gatineau, PQMay 15, 2015
Management was fair, co-workers were brilliant, job was not hard, liked being busy, learned a tremendous amount about the department.
Relaxing, but not motivating
Field Interviewer (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great hours, decent pay, good benefits
Cons: absolutely no chance for promotion or raises
A work day consisted mostly of traveling from one house to another to do surveys with families. You get the door slammed in your face a lot because most people simple do not want to participate in surveys. Changing the minds of people who have refused surveys was the hardest part. The refusals go into your response rate so you don't want to have that many or else it looks really bad.

70% of this job is chasing down respondents

Most enjoyable part of the job was when respondents DID participate in the survey, they're usually really nice and you end up having a really nice talk with them. I met a lot of new people on the job.

Management is quite disorganized as everyone is based at different locations because everyone works from home. The only form of communication was by phone or email.

After that 6 month mark, you do get government benefits so that's a definite up side!
A Great community of hard working, caring individuals with a huge array of interests
Contractual Data Collections/Interviewer (Former Employee), Sturgeon Falls, ONNovember 10, 2014
Early social coffee chat...before Alive telephone conversations with Canadians from coast to coast. Subject matter of conversations my include any number of "need to know" information used by the Federal Government for various reasons, and always under the Privacy Act of Canada.

Each Supervisor or Project manager has themselves worked their way up through the ranks of the system of higher and therefore are knowledgeable, compassionate people who understand the value and trials of live telephone interviewing and data collects and are priceless wells of insight.

This is a continuous learning environment, with mini courses on each subject matter and how calls need to be handled in order to protect the integrity of the calls.These courses include mock calls, that can become the highlight of the course itself as role play takes on a life example of it's own.

This job is a lesson, a challenge and a joy in regard to protecting the privacy of, and listening to opinions and trial of Canadians from every walk of life, and is an eye opening experience for anyone. Definitely a job for communicators without prejudice.
Great company to work for
Enumerator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 8, 2014
Pros: great pay, good experience
Cons: n/a
-Door to door calls

-Over the phone calls

-Completed census forms for given dwellings
Interesting jobs; learned a lot
Assistant to Director / survey clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2014
Pros: very good benefits; understanding management;
Lots of variance in all the jobs I was assigned during my many years.