Statistics Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Great experience
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 17, 2016
This was a great position and I gained so much valuable experience from this short term 7 month project. The work can be a bit chaotic and management a bit disorganized but it we pulled through it as a team and all came out stronger people from the experience and I gained many life long friends.
Pros
great life experience
Cons
short term work and stressful at times
census
data entry (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 12, 2016
Good place to work and build your resume. Only contract but its government office work. Good way to get your some experience working in the government sector.
Statistics Canada field interviewer work is interesting, and allows for flexibility of scheduling, however it is best suited as secondary income.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  variousJune 10, 2016
Interviewers work at select sites across the country, with supervisors and managers often working from different locations. Good communication systems and training allow interviewers to have confidence to work competently in their local communities. Personal confidentiality is a must.
Tedious Tasking, Programs Were always Failing
Data Collection, Data Capture and Coding (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2016
Their coding software needs to be updated. Early breaks made for long days. There was often a discrepancy on what the supervisors were told and what we were told. Training on coding was negligible. The hardest part was getting to work, it is not located to reliable transit and the shuttle comes really early and is only located downtown. The most Enjoyable part of the job is the people i worked with. Other departments made my job harder.
Pros
Good Hours, Decent Pay.
Cons
Tedious Boring, Repetitve, No Bennefits
I enjoyed the training and field work
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  St. Alban's, NLJune 8, 2016
I enjoyed talking and assisting a variety of people during my field visits in the region. The training sessions were very informative and prepared enumerators with the skill set to perform their duties well.
productive and friendly place to work part time
telephone interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 4, 2016
telephone contacted specific Canadians for pertinent mandatory information related to labor force, farm activity and individual health information
Pros
most Canadians share detailed personal information
Cons
encouraging non-compliant citizens
Excellent experience in learing how the Census is run.
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 19, 2016
I enjoyed learning the behind the scenes functions of preparing for a Census and the processes during it. It was a temporary job but and excellent way to earn some $ and learn about this event crucial to the future development of Canada.
great volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 12, 2016
enjoyable co workers and management

no salary because it was volunteer work

tight work areas

helpful co workers

flexible with my life schedule
Pros
helpful and friendly co workers
Cons
small rooms
Great view but expensive parking
Recruitment Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 9, 2016
If an employee is not full time and you express grievances against a full-time employee, it gets you no-where. Other than that, apart from this bad apple, the rest of the team is an amazing group, unfortunately as a contract worker, it appears that our concerns are at the bottom of the totem pole.
Pros
Continuous challenge to meet goals hence never bored
Cons
No room for advancement as a contract casual worker
A good place to work with
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 2, 2016
Basically, it is a good place to work with. However´╝îthere is less room for the personal development.

A typical day at work is 9-5.
Pros
job security
Cons
less room for personal growth
Challenging, yet rewarding job
Recruitment Clerk for the Aboriginal Sector (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 23, 2016
Was great experience, but a lot of miscommunication among management, as well a unorganized and a lot of last minute pressure because of last minute decision making.

Gained a lot of experience in the aboriginal sector and has given me a lot of knowledge.
Pros
got to travel to northern communities
Cons
language barriers, cultural barriers and miscommunication
fast paced, team and individual work
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 29, 2016
At Statistics Canada I am able to work with the Canadian public, helping to make changes to the Canadian government. I enjoy working with a team to meet service goals.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
no room for growth
Productive workplace,professional, friendly co-workers.
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Very well managed in all departments, from work load to employees, expectations , cases touched and complete. secure and confidential work environment. Statistics Canada is reviewed as a top employer to work for. good benefit plan. Also accommodate family life.An enjoyable part of the job is you are put in training for each project you work on.
Pros
accumulate days off & holidays without loss
Cons
some projects are lengthy
Went to people's homes to give the cost of living survey.
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, NLDecember 2, 2015
I enjoyed working my own hours. My supervisor was living/working approximately 3 hours away. I felt uncomfortable doing this survey as I did not think that the government needed to know a lot of these personal information.
Pros
Worked my own hours.
Cons
Did not like asking such personal questions to people.
Stats Canada
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
My supervisors were very knowledgeable and provided me with the proper tools and training to help me excel above and beyond in my position.
Terrible culture- great pay
Junior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 8, 2015
Work culture is sad at times- many people are so lazy. However, pay is very good and benefits are top of the line. Hours are great and demands are relatively low for the average employee.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, hours
Productive and enjoyable job
Statistician (Former Employee) –  Port Hawkesbury, NSOctober 13, 2015
We had an very extensive training session. Throughout our session we were able to meet new team members who then became friends. We shared lots of laughs during our training, and this helped to ease the stress of the amount of paperwork that was involved in our jobs.

This job helped me to zone in on my organizational skills as I had 3 small children at home waiting to greet me when I walked through the door at night. It made me realize the demographics of the people in our area that I was never exposed to before.

It was great to get out in the public and meet new people of our area.
good experience
census clerk (Former Employee) –  toronto onSeptember 29, 2015
I learned a lot about the whole census process and the information gathering to make it successful.I was working for a great team and enjoyed the job.
Great learning curve
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  East Parry SoundSeptember 21, 2015
In my position I was able to encourage enumerators to do a good job and how to accomplish that task. I was able to get them to work together and cover for others when problems arose. I met a lot of really nice people in the organization. But the hardest part was having to talk to one individual regarding his mode of dress that was unacceptable for someone meeting the public and eventually was required to remove him from the position.
The best part is the friends that were made and continue to this day.
Pros
Opportunity to develop individual skills in time management
Cons
Job didn't last long enough
Amazing, Fast Paced & Fun
Testing & Selection Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Statistics Canada. We were a busy team of five people doing testing and selection of canvassers for the Kelowna, BC area. It was interesting work and challenging as there were always tight deadlines.
The best part about the position was the team was very well matched and we enjoyed our time working together.

4.2