Statistics Canada

Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great company to work for
Enumerator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 8, 2014
Pros: great pay, good experience
Cons: n/a
-Door to door calls

-Over the phone calls

-Completed census forms for given dwellings
Interesting jobs; learned a lot
Assistant to Director / survey clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2014
Pros: very good benefits; understanding management;
Lots of variance in all the jobs I was assigned during my many years.
great place to work
LAN Administrator Census (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2014
I worked there over 10 years ago. As i recall it was a great place to work with good people.
Productive Work Environment, Good Management
Commodity Specialist / Statistical Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving for 7 am, opening up my email and checking voice mail. I make a plan of attack based on my work load, and set a goal for the day in terms of number of calls I needed to make.

Management is supportive, but at time gives too much work to staff. We work with strict deadlines, so having 5 projects that need to be – more... completed by the end of the week, is at times very stressful and consuming. – less
Productive work place - Team oriented
Senior Statistical Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: long lunches, celebrations, activities, flexible hours
Cons: meeting tight deadlines
My typical day would start at 6:00 am and would finish at 2:00 pm. During this period of time, my work would involve sitting for along period of time in front of a computer.

During this time, I learned how to use a database by doing data entry and then setting up Excel spreadsheets with data from the database depending on the clients requests.

I excellent – more... communication with my co-workers and management was always there to help us in any way possible. Every month, we would participate in luncheons and group meetings. We would celebrate employees birthdays by having a pizza lunch or simply cake in the afternoon break. We would also organize picnics and Christmas parties.

The most stressful part of my job was meeting tight deadlines but we always managed to achieve them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that I had flexible hours and all my co-workers were all great to work with. – less
Good Department
Economist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Very nice colleagues

Helpful government officials

Computer skills training
office work
Cati Interviewer (Current Employee), EdmontonAugust 25, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: respondent may be difficult
talking to respondents, gathering data for the federal government. i get along with people really easy, nice working environment.
focused and policy oriented
ENUMERATOR / ADMIN SUPPORT (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 11, 2014
Collect statistical information door to door and worked closed with diverse population. Worked independently.
Overall great place to work
Special Projects / Web Publication Specialist (Current Employee), Ottawa, ON.July 28, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours at most times
Cons: location, nothing really much around.
As a Contractor, great opportunities to advance my skill sets, and developing new ones.

Great work life balance, along with social committee activities.
Interesting and varied job tasks.
Interviewer / Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 7, 2014
Pros: we were told exactly how to do our work correctly and professionnally.
Cons: almost minimun wage.
Great management, great training and trainers, great co-workers.
Interesting work.
Productive and Learning
Revision officer and Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
Pros: friendly supervisor
Cons: nothing noticed
Worked and contract just to cover my CMA program. Worked with Canadian citizens, make them aware of census and elections
Conclusions of Co-op at Statistics Canada
Assistant Methodologist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: huge age gap within employees
Being part of the BSMD team had been one of the best and most important experiences in my life. My supervisor had involved me in every meeting or seminar she could, which I have always appreciated as they were one of the more educational experiences I had. I feel that my hard work and interest in this position had not gone unrecognized, and has allowed – more... me to develop a greater insight in my abilities. This gave me the opportunity to experience a higher degree of responsibility in the position as I was able to communicate with my supervisor along with the team directly when resolving issues with my project.
From this I have strengthened my communication and problem solving skills that I will utilize throughout my career. The benefit of being part of a small team was the fact that my supervisor always gave an answer to any questions or concerns that I had, as well as being extremely open-minded to my ideas and suggestions. My supervisor supported me each step of the way and provided me with great career coaching by sharing many of the different skills and experiences she has acquired throughout her extensive career here at Statistics Canada.
My work term at Statistics Canada has been an extremely successful experience for me and has provided me with many of the necessary skills and abilities I need in order to be considered for many career opportunities. In the future I hope to have the opportunity to work for Statistics Canada again, as I found the environment to be extremely comfortable and pleasant where I am able to utilize my academic experiences to deal with real world issues. In conclusion, being part of the co-op program and obtaining this job was the best thing for me as it helped me advance my career experience and aided me in determining what areas I still need improvement. – less
I had a great career at Statistics Canada.
Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 3, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: too many meetings
I worked full-time at Statistics Canada.
I learnt a lot about economics, surveys, computers and their applications.
As a manager, I treated my staff fairly and justifiably.
I enjoyed my professional, hard-working staff as well as my superiors.
Anyone Who desires to develop sales or public relations skills
Interviewer (Telephone) (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: not for everyone one needs to be a strong person with drive and desire to be the best
Working as an interviewer for Statistics Canada gives every individual hired as an interviewer an opportunity to excell in skills such as: public relations, sales, and marketing. As an interviewer your skills are put to the test and your skills combined with excellence in training and guidence, one developes into an outstanding public relations individual. – more... I highly recommend this position for those that want to excell in sales or public relations, and keep in mind these skills are in high demand. – less
Fun and very creative work environment
Statistical survey specialist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2014
- meeting and liaising with clients to discuss and identify their advertising requirements;
- working with agency colleagues to devise an advertising campaign that meets the client's brief and budget;
- presenting, alongside agency colleagues (particularly the account manager), the campaign ideas and budget to the client;
- working with the account – more... manager to brief media, creative and research staff, and assisting with the formulation of marketing strategies;
- liaising with, and acting as the link between, the client and advertising agency by maintaining regular contact with both, ensuring that communication flows effectively;
- negotiating with clients and agency staff about the details of campaigns;
- presenting creative work to clients for approval or modification;
- handling budgets, managing campaign costs and invoicing clients;
- writing client reports;
- monitoring the effectiveness of campaigns;
- undertaking administration tasks;
- arranging and attending meetings;
- making 'pitches', along with other agency staff, to try to win new business for the agency. – less
The magazine, The Economist, was correct when it rated Statisics Canada the best National Statistical Office in the world.
Director, Public Institutions Division (Former Employee), Ottawa ONMarch 5, 2014
StatCan was not only the best statistical agency but it was also the best managed department in the Canadian federal government.
No Comment
Interviewer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: six hour shifts in great location downtown vancouver
Cons: everything else
Sorry, I signed a confidentiality agreement and can say no more than what is in my CV.
Busy.
Enumerator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 14, 2014
I enjoyed my job, regardless of who opened the door and how unexcited they were to see me standing there knowing why i was there...I always had some good conversation and left with smiles on their faces. I really enjoy working with people so this job to me was lovely.
Relaxed work enviroment that is still challenging
Deployment Technician (Current Employee), Nepean, ONFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: goverment, flexible hours, good work enviroment
Excellent place to work, I was hired as an FSWEP student to help with the windows 7 Migration and had an excellent experience, both acquiring some skills and I would love to work there again.
Great, loved this position
Crew Leader District (Former Employee), Brookfield, NSJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: interaction with the public and staff
Cons: only a term position
Recruitment of Census staff, testing, interviewing etc., training staff, distribution and delivery of Census questionnaries to enumerators. Supervisiing during enumerator duties during delivery and non response follow up. Assisting other districts in completing non response follow up, assisting residents in completing questionnaire. Daily input of reports, – more... updating files, checking recruitment updates, accessing procedures, checking enumerators reports for recommendation or edit via different computer programs and applications. – less

1 2 3 4 5