Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

StatsCan - census
Supervisor - Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 November 2016
Good work environment, challenging and rewarding in terms of salary however there no was no room for advancement within that sector of statistics Canada. Friendly colleagues, good work/life balance.
Unusual work place
Census Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
Working on the Census was a unique experience. Many aspects of this job I enjoyed. Very unfortunate that the contract was short. Meet many interesting individuals while working there. I did not like the feeling that the contract could end at any given time. No benefits but I didn't expect any.
Cons
Indeterminate contract, suited for younger individuals.
Survey Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON6 January 2017
The hours are short but you get a high pay good benifitsn but the hours are not reliable. It can be stressful depending on your survey but its a good job
Pros
GOOD MONEY
Cons
HOURS ARE NOT RELIABLE
Excellent Team
Collections Support Unit Operator Census (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB23 September 2016
Was a great contract. Peers and management were both great.
Able to work around my mothers health needs. Salary was fair and hours were reasonable.
A great place to work at!
Pay Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Statistics Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Work at your pace!
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Rogersville-ouest, NB6 July 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. Very efficient and educational in training. The on site was a bit unorganised but I believe that had a lot to do with technical difficulties. All in all it was a great working experience and I would gladly accept another offer to work there!
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Only temporary
great volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 May 2016
enjoyable co workers and management

no salary because it was volunteer work

tight work areas

helpful co workers

flexible with my life schedule
Pros
helpful and friendly co workers
Cons
small rooms
Statistics Canada
Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 December 2016
This federal department is run horribly. The last Census 2016 was a complete horror show orchestrated by upper management. If you love stress, abuse by management, low pay and long hours, Stats Can is the place for you.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
pay, management, working conditions
Great way to meet new people and experience different cultures
Travel Team Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 January 2017
Long hours, knowledge of area and able to research definite assets.
Hours were very irregular. No time for personal life. Lots of driving and writing.
Pros
Always different scenarios
Good contract job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 January 2017
A typical day I would review my summary of dwellings, pack a bag with necessary items, and head to the location I where I would be working. I would spend a few hours doing follow-up, then go back home and update my attempts into the computer. Sometimes I would have a delivery for my Crew Leader.

I learned how to be diplomatic and to listen carefully to a respondant. I learned how to interview respondants. I learned how to write up a refusal, and notice of visits. I learned how to complete a short form and long form questionnaire.

My Crew Leader was great. She was available anytime, easy to talk to, and very organized. She worked very hard.

I got along with most of my coworkers.

The hardest part of my job was trying to change the mind of a person who refused to complete a questionnaire.

The most enjoyable part was meeting lots of respondants.
Pros
Good pay and mileage
Interview people from door to door is fun and challenge too
Temp job (Former Employee) –  Norman Wells, NT13 December 2016
i had to interview individual in different family. met some friendly family and also some people kick you from the door.

learn a lots of different culture from people to people.

work as a team to completed the project but actually work alone to interviewing people.

Must be patient to hear all their complaints even thought not relative your task, learn to problems solving and responses quick.
Pros
knowledge deeply about native culture in Canada
Cons
i scare dogs, there have many dogs around their house
Excellent for sprucing up management skills
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 August 2016
Although my position with Statistics Canada was brief, it provided a very good opportunity to review my management skills and strategies. I found the position very rewarding!
Day hours were flexible and sometimes very long - up to 10 hours a day. However I did learn the best ways to complete such surveys and welcome the chance to do the job again in five years.
Management was helpful and available and very supportive!
Even though my staff was not screened for their compatibility for the position, I found the variety of personalities and learning styles kept me from getting bored and all tasks were completed on time.
The most difficult part of the position of crew leader was not being able to meet with all the staff at the same time. Team building in that sense was not an option. The best part of the job was the satisfaction of completing the task within the allotted time, and meeting all of the challenges along the way!
Pros
Flexible work hours.
Cons
Short time span for work.
Not a lot of choice for advancement
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 December 2016
Although the pay is good, and I am technically working for the Federal Government, working for StatsCan has very limited advancement options. A good day is pretty standard, talking on the phone calling people for national surveys, there are the usual know-it-all straight-to-the-point responders, but also the nice ones. Co-workers are nice. Managers are approachable and nice.
Interesting job with flexible schedule
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS20 October 2016
Interviewers meet many people in the community and collect data on every aspect of Canadian life to help provide reliable data to develop social and government policies to help all Canadians. Work was interesting, varied and required a lot of good judgement and the ability to "think on your feet" in a variety of situations. Interviewers are on their own often in out-of-the-way locations. Best part of the job was meeting people usually in their homes and also traveling to different areas for work. Most difficult part of the job were vicious dogs and unstable persons that you would sometimes come upon in the course of your work.
Great
Census Processing Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 August 2016
Great place to work. Good work/life balance and management treats you well. There are plenty of opportunities. My coworkers are very friendly and always willing to help you.
productive and very relaxed enviroment.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB3 July 2016
A typical day at work involves me going online printing off my assigned cases for the day and then continuing by heading out into the field and visiting such cases, aswell trying to resolve the issues the occupants may be having with there census forms. the management and staff is fantastic, always on point and productive and are willing to help in any situation you might come across. the hardest part of the job would be dealing with a person that is not found of the census. the most enjoyable part is the hours and being your own boss for the majority of time and being responsible for your own work.
Pros
hours, management, co-workers
Cons
upset occupants
Managing the team
Crew Lead - contract (Former Employee) –  Moose Factory, ON8 January 2017
I loved supervising and managing the team of 10 I had during this round of 2016 Census.

I loved the directors the way they handled the work load this round.

Enjoyed my time working for 2016 Census.
Pros
Cons
takes time
Census Crew Leader was a fantastic role
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2016
I had a great time as a crew leader for the 2016 Census.

It was challenging, fun, a bit frustrating, but overall I enjoyed the fast-paced parts of it managing an awesome crew of enumerators.

Just wish it wasn't such a short-term position and felt the sheer volume of census materials that Crew Leaders need to take into their homes was a bit of a burden.
Pros
Working within your community on a valuable public service
Cons
Crew Leaders take a massive amount of documentation to manage in their home office
Perfect summer job
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 December 2016
Great management. Training was very through out. Management was very approachable, clear and informative. Worked at your own pace when you were able to. Only stopped because of the census was done.
Pros
Great pay, great management, great work/ life balance
Cons
Ended too soon
An eye-opening challenge
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Nanoose Bay, BC6 September 2016
Being an Enumerator for the 2016 Census was an eye-opening experience. I had no idea so many people did not want to co-operate but I enjoyed the challenge of gently eliciting the information needed.
My supervisor was always available to assist me, and I was generously compensated for both my time and fuel.
It wasn't easy, but I would do it again, should the opportunity present itself.
Pros
Set my own time within the population's restriction, worked on my own, allowed some leeway to make decisions about the best way to get the job done
Cons
Some disorganization in the beginning, remote populace

4.2