Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

Excellent for sprucing up management skills
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 20, 2016
Although my position with Statistics Canada was brief, it provided a very good opportunity to review my management skills and strategies. I found the position very rewarding!
Day hours were flexible and sometimes very long - up to 10 hours a day. However I did learn the best ways to complete such surveys and welcome the chance to do the job again in five years.
Management was helpful and available and very supportive!
Even though my staff was not screened for their compatibility for the position, I found the variety of personalities and learning styles kept me from getting bored and all tasks were completed on time.
The most difficult part of the position of crew leader was not being able to meet with all the staff at the same time. Team building in that sense was not an option. The best part of the job was the satisfaction of completing the task within the allotted time, and meeting all of the challenges along the way!
Pros
Flexible work hours.
Cons
Short time span for work.
productive and very relaxed enviroment.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 3, 2016
A typical day at work involves me going online printing off my assigned cases for the day and then continuing by heading out into the field and visiting such cases, aswell trying to resolve the issues the occupants may be having with there census forms. the management and staff is fantastic, always on point and productive and are willing to help in any situation you might come across. the hardest part of the job would be dealing with a person that is not found of the census. the most enjoyable part is the hours and being your own boss for the majority of time and being responsible for your own work.
Pros
hours, management, co-workers
Cons
upset occupants
An eye-opening challenge
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Nanoose Bay, BCSeptember 6, 2016
Being an Enumerator for the 2016 Census was an eye-opening experience. I had no idea so many people did not want to co-operate but I enjoyed the challenge of gently eliciting the information needed.
My supervisor was always available to assist me, and I was generously compensated for both my time and fuel.
It wasn't easy, but I would do it again, should the opportunity present itself.
Pros
Set my own time within the population's restriction, worked on my own, allowed some leeway to make decisions about the best way to get the job done
Cons
Some disorganization in the beginning, remote populace
Challenging, yet rewarding job
Recruitment Clerk for the Aboriginal Sector (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 23, 2016
Was great experience, but a lot of miscommunication among management, as well a unorganized and a lot of last minute pressure because of last minute decision making.

Gained a lot of experience in the aboriginal sector and has given me a lot of knowledge.
Pros
got to travel to northern communities
Cons
language barriers, cultural barriers and miscommunication
I enjoyed all of the data collection because my territory was Muskoka in the spring !!
2016 Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ONSeptember 2, 2016
A typical day during the Enumerator List Leaving time was spent going door to door and in my rural Muskoka area ..where most of the residents are seasonal..I found myself in some remote but beautiful spots.

You would keep track of everything you did and then go home and do the data entry part of the job.

I love working on my own so it was ideal. My manager was always available by phone or text if Id had any issues.
Pros
Working Alone
Cons
Being in remote areas with no cell signal
Tedious Tasking, Programs Were always Failing
Data Collection, Data Capture and Coding (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2016
Their coding software needs to be updated. Early breaks made for long days. There was often a discrepancy on what the supervisors were told and what we were told. Training on coding was negligible. The hardest part was getting to work, it is not located to reliable transit and the shuttle comes really early and is only located downtown. The most Enjoyable part of the job is the people i worked with. Other departments made my job harder.
Pros
Good Hours, Decent Pay.
Cons
Tedious Boring, Repetitve, No Bennefits
A good place to work with
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 2, 2016
Basically, it is a good place to work with. However,there is less room for the personal development.

A typical day at work is 9-5.
Pros
job security
Cons
less room for personal growth
Very diversified and team-oriented environment
Recruitment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2016
As an HR student I gained experience in the recruitment and selection aspect of HR management screening, administering tests, and reference checking.
Work was very detail-oriented and performance driven.
Enjoyed working with people from different cultural backgrounds
must be adaptable as things change frequently

*this position was contract for the 2016 Census
Unusual work place
Census Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 13, 2016
Working on the Census was a unique experience. Many aspects of this job I enjoyed. Very unfortunate that the contract was short. Meet many interesting individuals while working there. I did not like the feeling that the contract could end at any given time. No benefits but I didn't expect any.
Cons
Indeterminate contract, suited for younger individuals.
Not for everyone
NRFU, Refusal conversion (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2016
This job is a great fit for me. I was able to be autonomous without too much interference but that was because I was able to produce results. People will yell at you and people do hate you. Otherwise great temporary job with decent pay and very flexible hours. Circumstances surrounding your work will change depending on what region you live in as well.
Statistics Canada field interviewer work is interesting, and allows for flexibility of scheduling, however it is best suited as secondary income.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  variousJune 10, 2016
Interviewers work at select sites across the country, with supervisors and managers often working from different locations. Good communication systems and training allow interviewers to have confidence to work competently in their local communities. Personal confidentiality is a must.
Job needs a self-motivated employee
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 24, 2016
This job was amazing, i truly enjoyed every aspect of it. The only problems that i had were with self motivation. They tell you that you primarily need to work evenings and weekends, but it doesnt matter what time you start or how many hours you had to put in. Therefore i would procrastinate going to work. Once i was there i loved it though
Fun Workplace
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 1, 2016
Fantastic team environment with excellent management. Gather information and data regarding residents home, income, house hold, how many people live there, renting or owning. This information is collected and reviewed to see what the government can provide in that residences neighboured, via school, hospital, etc.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
teadious
A opportunity to meet with residents in my neighbourhood
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2016
A great learning experience and to improve confidence

Once in 5 years Statistics Canada post jobs and hires over 25000 persons all over the country

All ages and levels of educated persons are hired and a opportunity to meet with people from multi culture
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long periods of walking
Overall good experience
Census Operator/Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 9, 2016
A typical day involves answering calls from respondents inquiring about the census and helping them complete the form.
I also assisted the Quality Control Team. Which means I made sure any tickets or inquiries got sent to the right department. A lot of data entry was involved. Helping the QC team was the best part of my job.
Fun place to work!
Check-out/Resolution Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QCAugust 9, 2016
I would work there in 5 years when the Census returns again. Although I wasn't thrilled about the Gatineau location, the data processing office is there. It became an enjoyable drive and at the end of it now, this was my most favourite job in my career so far.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
People of all kinds
Productive with workers in the centre of the company
agent de recensement - Agriculture (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 10, 2016
Productive, Warm, Friendly, Respectful, and fun workplace with a bar around.
From labour law perspective, the workplace is very important. Not only for the wage, but socially. We spend more than 8 hours at work, and 8 hours in bed. It remains a third per day for other social matter, kids, parents, cooking and so on. It means that we spend most of our conscious time at work. So, we have to make sure this place is well kept enjoyable.
Cons
legal hours in general, overtime for operational needs.
Great experience
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 17, 2016
This was a great position and I gained so much valuable experience from this short term 7 month project. The work can be a bit chaotic and management a bit disorganized but it we pulled through it as a team and all came out stronger people from the experience and I gained many life long friends.
Pros
great life experience
Cons
short term work and stressful at times
Work at your pace!
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Rogersville-ouest, NBJuly 6, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. Very efficient and educational in training. The on site was a bit unorganised but I believe that had a lot to do with technical difficulties. All in all it was a great working experience and I would gladly accept another offer to work there!
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Only temporary
Excellent working environment and staff
Quality Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
Hours spent reviewing census forms for completeness and accuracy.

Learned to communicate effectively with people who were unsure of the census and it's laws.

Management were amazing. Allowing us to grow and learn.

Co-workers were a group of the most diverse and wonderful people. All ages, all nationalities. We learned alot from each other about our diverse cultures.

The hardest part of the job were the hours. We worked 10-12 hour days but it was worth it in the end.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. We had fun, laughed, worked hard, helped each other and had amazing potluck lunches every other Friday.

I believe that because we knew this was only a 15 week contract job, we all made the best of it and got along and helped each other.

Glad I had the experience.
Pros
environment, staff, location

4.2