Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

Repetitive, but Interesting work.
Edits team (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 April 2017
I worked as part of the Canadian Census team, which entailed shift work and a contract. Unfortunately the nature of the job left some questions about whether or not the contract would be completed, but in my experience everyone was able to work their entire term.
Contract, full time summer job
Census Processing (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC24 April 2017
This was a full time job 7-3pm, Monday to Friday. Typical day at work was opening up census forms and transferring the information on the page into the computer. The best part of the job was the co-workers and management, everyone got along really well and made the day enjoyable. Unfortunately the contract did end early as they over-estimated the amount of forms that would come in.
Pros
full time work for students
Cons
contract ended early
Great Place to work, but boring.
CATI Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 April 2017
Great place to work, good benefits. Friendly. Hours vary. Part time only. All phone work. Has a fantastic social committee. Nice work environment, very little pressure.
Pros
SuperWelcoming
Cons
Very boring
Great experience.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Angus, ON22 April 2017
Go to individual houses to collect census forms and assist people with their census forms and answer questions. Met my supervisor at least once a week to hand over all documentation. Most people were polite and friendly. There were a few who were hostile and confrontational but I left and reported it to my supervisor.
Pros
Meeting new people and helping them.
Cons
Difficult, uncooperative people
Successful Project
Field Operations Supervisor, Census (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB21 April 2017
- Searched for and recruited nine crew leaders, trained them and supported their work to recruit enumerators and manage their schedules and results.
- My crews were situated in northern Manitoba, from Dauphin to Churchill. One of the largest geographic areas in Census 2016. Unlike urban crews where contact with crews can be face-to-face rural crews can be thousands of km's from the office.
- The project provided a 98.5% response rate, one of the highest in Census 2016.
- The hardest part of the job was to maintain support for crew leaders as they were thousands of km's from my office.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was planning and developing the project and maintaining it through the census process leading to a successful conclusion to the project.
- The workplace culture was oriented to teamwork with other Operations Supervisors. We maintained constant contact with each other and advised them while dealing with difficult issues. Management gave each of us enough autonomy to develop and manage our own projects.
Pros
Great experience, excellent support from management
Cons
Very long hours to stay ahead of issues
Contract employment but good experience
Census Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
It was a good experience to learn about the government and how services are delivered to the public. I got to meet so many people and a great place to network for other jobs.
Lots of free time
CR-03 Statistical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 April 2017
It's the government of Canada, and in all the departments it's Statistics Canada, so it's a cubical/pod environment. The people are great, and you get a good pension and salary. However, it wasn't fast-paced enough for me, days felt like they went on forever.
Pros
Pension, Salary, Benefits, Coworkers
Cons
Job security, redundant, boring
edting
Census Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC11 April 2017
I did both private housing and collective housing (group home, prison, nursing home etc.) I really enjoy learn lots about various people's life background.

I really enjoy editing because I can fix people's mistake and make sure that everything going well before go ahead through to next level.

I really love my workplace because I learn lots and I always miss this workplace.
Pros
good people, work is fun, learn new stuff.
Cons
only once per five years.
Government
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2017
A work environment that is ok with risk mitigation and maintenance. Great working environment for family minded people but for those wishing to pursue more, nothing beats private sector.
Excellent training ground for economists with relaxed environment
Senior Research Economist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2017
The access to data is an economists dream and being surrounded by some of the best researchers at the CDER data centre makes it an excellent place for economists to practice their skills and learn how to do empirical research. The administrative burden is high but it contributes to a slow and relaxed pace.
Pros
There is nothing you can't learn about economics here.
Cons
Those looking for excitement will be frustrated.
great environment
Financial Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON31 March 2017
Had great opportunity to learn and advance in different departments. This increased my skills. Management was vert helpful in helping you to apply for competitions.
Pros
Many are retiring so lots of room to advance
Cons
none really
Interesting experience working with this company
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS23 March 2017
Very busy days.
Dealt with some unhappy people.
Coworkers and bosses were great.
If you want to succeed you have to work hard and have initiative.
Overall good place to work.
Processing Census documents
Census Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC17 March 2017
Excellent workplace..
Typical day is to track and register all paper and electronic questionnaires as they arrive at the Data Operations Centre.
Job was enjoyable and fast paced.
Teamwork was excellent.
Contract Job for Census
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Mallorytown, ON17 March 2017
Great job. With the exception of training, work hours were very flexible. Great Team Leader. Lots of fun getting to know more of my neighbors and the area around were I live. Contract Job that goes till your mapped area is completed. (this includes dropping off census questionnaires and giving reminders/completing questionnaires with people that haven't completed them yet) Potential for more areas depending on other enumerators being able to complete their mapped out areas.
review
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON16 February 2017
While the job was very easy to learn and to do on a daily basis. The hours and salary were low. Isolated to your own telephone and no interaction with other co-workers.
Pros
easy job
Cons
repetitive
It was fulfilling to help clients when they needed help
Agriculture Census Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2017
Being part of a team was enjoyable! The bosses were always there when we needed them. Very few difficult calls which made the day interesting.
Pros
Management was friendly..no patronizing
Cons
scheduling
A good place to work
Census Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2017
Statistics Canada
• Worked on telephone help line to process respondent requests and assist callers in completing their questionnaire
• Sorted and processed the paper questionnaire
• Groomed and transcribed paper questionnaire
• Data processing
One of my Favorite Jobs!!!
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Cache Creek, BC7 February 2017
Great balance of work and home life. The pay rate was fair and management was terrific. This was an independent job with regular communications with management. I liked that management took precautions to ensure we had a safe working environment. I loved everything about this job except that it was temporary.
Pros
Loved my job
Cons
Temporary position
Flexible, rewarding, interesting, social...
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario and home office7 February 2017
Conduct various statistical surveys with different respondents, Learn to effectively communicate and 'sell' surveys for maximum response rates while maintaining lower costs and shorter time per units. Workplace culture varies with different supervisors which sometimes makes it difficult to plan a personal work schedule. Workloads and work locations are variable. The best part of the job is the flexibility in regards to work times, the different surveys we conduct and the variety of respondents we make contact with.
Pros
flexible, interesting, good remuneration and benefits
Cons
unreliable work loads, untrained supervisors
A field job and opportunity to meet residents
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
excellent place to work

meet residents face to face and explain them benefits of completing forms

know your area and neighbourhood

net work with co workers
Pros
flexible hours
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Statistics Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2