Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

Census Crew Leader was a fantastic role
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2016
I had a great time as a crew leader for the 2016 Census.

It was challenging, fun, a bit frustrating, but overall I enjoyed the fast-paced parts of it managing an awesome crew of enumerators.

Just wish it wasn't such a short-term position and felt the sheer volume of census materials that Crew Leaders need to take into their homes was a bit of a burden.
Pros
Working within your community on a valuable public service
Cons
Crew Leaders take a massive amount of documentation to manage in their home office
Interesting job with flexible schedule
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS20 October 2016
Interviewers meet many people in the community and collect data on every aspect of Canadian life to help provide reliable data to develop social and government policies to help all Canadians. Work was interesting, varied and required a lot of good judgement and the ability to "think on your feet" in a variety of situations. Interviewers are on their own often in out-of-the-way locations. Best part of the job was meeting people usually in their homes and also traveling to different areas for work. Most difficult part of the job were vicious dogs and unstable persons that you would sometimes come upon in the course of your work.
Not a lot of choice for advancement
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 December 2016
Although the pay is good, and I am technically working for the Federal Government, working for StatsCan has very limited advancement options. A good day is pretty standard, talking on the phone calling people for national surveys, there are the usual know-it-all straight-to-the-point responders, but also the nice ones. Co-workers are nice. Managers are approachable and nice.
An eye-opening challenge
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Nanoose Bay, BC6 September 2016
Being an Enumerator for the 2016 Census was an eye-opening experience. I had no idea so many people did not want to co-operate but I enjoyed the challenge of gently eliciting the information needed.
My supervisor was always available to assist me, and I was generously compensated for both my time and fuel.
It wasn't easy, but I would do it again, should the opportunity present itself.
Pros
Set my own time within the population's restriction, worked on my own, allowed some leeway to make decisions about the best way to get the job done
Cons
Some disorganization in the beginning, remote populace
I enjoyed all of the data collection because my territory was Muskoka in the spring !!
2016 Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON2 September 2016
A typical day during the Enumerator List Leaving time was spent going door to door and in my rural Muskoka area ..where most of the residents are seasonal..I found myself in some remote but beautiful spots.

You would keep track of everything you did and then go home and do the data entry part of the job.

I love working on my own so it was ideal. My manager was always available by phone or text if Id had any issues.
Pros
Working Alone
Cons
Being in remote areas with no cell signal
Nice People, a Bit Disorganized
Census Operator (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC4 October 2016
I worked on the Census program for 2016. While it was put together quickly, there still could have been a bit more organization and clarity between managers and between managers and their employees. The pay was not great. The bus schedule also wasn't accommodating and the cafeteria provides no discounts.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Isolated, Low Pay
Had a good boss and each day was different.
Enumerator (temporary position) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 November 2016
I was out in the field as a enumerator. It was fun because each day was different. Sure, there was some dangers like getting attacked by a dog while at a house (I never did); but overall, I enjoyed the experience and had a great boss who was supportive and helpful when needed. He enabled me to do a great job.
Not for everyone
NRFU, Refusal conversion (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
This job is a great fit for me. I was able to be autonomous without too much interference but that was because I was able to produce results. People will yell at you and people do hate you. Otherwise great temporary job with decent pay and very flexible hours. Circumstances surrounding your work will change depending on what region you live in as well.
Unusual work place
Census Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
Working on the Census was a unique experience. Many aspects of this job I enjoyed. Very unfortunate that the contract was short. Meet many interesting individuals while working there. I did not like the feeling that the contract could end at any given time. No benefits but I didn't expect any.
Cons
Indeterminate contract, suited for younger individuals.
A opportunity to meet with residents in my neighbourhood
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
A great learning experience and to improve confidence

Once in 5 years Statistics Canada post jobs and hires over 25000 persons all over the country

All ages and levels of educated persons are hired and a opportunity to meet with people from multi culture
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long periods of walking
Fun Workplace
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 September 2016
Fantastic team environment with excellent management. Gather information and data regarding residents home, income, house hold, how many people live there, renting or owning. This information is collected and reviewed to see what the government can provide in that residences neighboured, via school, hospital, etc.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
teadious
Job needs a self-motivated employee
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 August 2016
This job was amazing, i truly enjoyed every aspect of it. The only problems that i had were with self motivation. They tell you that you primarily need to work evenings and weekends, but it doesnt matter what time you start or how many hours you had to put in. Therefore i would procrastinate going to work. Once i was there i loved it though
Very diversified and team-oriented environment
Recruitment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 July 2016
As an HR student I gained experience in the recruitment and selection aspect of HR management screening, administering tests, and reference checking.
Work was very detail-oriented and performance driven.
Enjoyed working with people from different cultural backgrounds
must be adaptable as things change frequently

*this position was contract for the 2016 Census
productive and very relaxed enviroment.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB3 July 2016
A typical day at work involves me going online printing off my assigned cases for the day and then continuing by heading out into the field and visiting such cases, aswell trying to resolve the issues the occupants may be having with there census forms. the management and staff is fantastic, always on point and productive and are willing to help in any situation you might come across. the hardest part of the job would be dealing with a person that is not found of the census. the most enjoyable part is the hours and being your own boss for the majority of time and being responsible for your own work.
Pros
hours, management, co-workers
Cons
upset occupants
Fun place to work!
Check-out/Resolution Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC9 August 2016
I would work there in 5 years when the Census returns again. Although I wasn't thrilled about the Gatineau location, the data processing office is there. It became an enjoyable drive and at the end of it now, this was my most favourite job in my career so far.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
People of all kinds
Overall good experience
Census Operator/Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 July 2016
A typical day involves answering calls from respondents inquiring about the census and helping them complete the form.
I also assisted the Quality Control Team. Which means I made sure any tickets or inquiries got sent to the right department. A lot of data entry was involved. Helping the QC team was the best part of my job.
Great summer job
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON2 October 2016
I enumerated the 2016 Statistics Canada census. I enjoyed the flexibility to make my own schedule and the pay. My supervisor was also amazing. I would recommend this for anyone with some free time come next census.
Pros
Well paid, schedule flexability
Cons
tight deadlines
Census 2016
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
The work did not continue after the census was over. I did get very good references from my immediate management. I enjoyed talking to people all over Canada and helping them fill out there census forms.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
not enough hours
Tedious Tasking, Programs Were always Failing
Data Collection, Data Capture and Coding (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 June 2016
Their coding software needs to be updated. Early breaks made for long days. There was often a discrepancy on what the supervisors were told and what we were told. Training on coding was negligible. The hardest part was getting to work, it is not located to reliable transit and the shuttle comes really early and is only located downtown. The most Enjoyable part of the job is the people i worked with. Other departments made my job harder.
Pros
Good Hours, Decent Pay.
Cons
Tedious Boring, Repetitve, No Bennefits
Statistics Canada field interviewer work is interesting, and allows for flexibility of scheduling, however it is best suited as secondary income.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  various10 June 2016
Interviewers work at select sites across the country, with supervisors and managers often working from different locations. Good communication systems and training allow interviewers to have confidence to work competently in their local communities. Personal confidentiality is a must.

4.2