Statistics Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Challenging, yet rewarding job
Recruitment Clerk for the Aboriginal Sector (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 23, 2016
Was great experience, but a lot of miscommunication among management, as well a unorganized and a lot of last minute pressure because of last minute decision making.

Gained a lot of experience in the aboriginal sector and has given me a lot of knowledge.
Pros
got to travel to northern communities
Cons
language barriers, cultural barriers and miscommunication
productive and very relaxed enviroment.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 3, 2016
A typical day at work involves me going online printing off my assigned cases for the day and then continuing by heading out into the field and visiting such cases, aswell trying to resolve the issues the occupants may be having with there census forms. the management and staff is fantastic, always on point and productive and are willing to help in any situation you might come across. the hardest part of the job would be dealing with a person that is not found of the census. the most enjoyable part is the hours and being your own boss for the majority of time and being responsible for your own work.
Pros
hours, management, co-workers
Cons
upset occupants
A good place to work with
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 2, 2016
Basically, it is a good place to work with. However,there is less room for the personal development.

A typical day at work is 9-5.
Pros
job security
Cons
less room for personal growth
Tedious Tasking, Programs Were always Failing
Data Collection, Data Capture and Coding (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2016
Their coding software needs to be updated. Early breaks made for long days. There was often a discrepancy on what the supervisors were told and what we were told. Training on coding was negligible. The hardest part was getting to work, it is not located to reliable transit and the shuttle comes really early and is only located downtown. The most Enjoyable part of the job is the people i worked with. Other departments made my job harder.
Pros
Good Hours, Decent Pay.
Cons
Tedious Boring, Repetitve, No Bennefits
Terrible culture- great pay
Junior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 8, 2015
Work culture is sad at times- many people are so lazy. However, pay is very good and benefits are top of the line. Hours are great and demands are relatively low for the average employee.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, hours
Cons
Excellent working environment and staff
Quality Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
Hours spent reviewing census forms for completeness and accuracy.

Learned to communicate effectively with people who were unsure of the census and it's laws.

Management were amazing. Allowing us to grow and learn.

Co-workers were a group of the most diverse and wonderful people. All ages, all nationalities. We learned alot from each other about our diverse cultures.

The hardest part of the job were the hours. We worked 10-12 hour days but it was worth it in the end.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. We had fun, laughed, worked hard, helped each other and had amazing potluck lunches every other Friday.

I believe that because we knew this was only a 15 week contract job, we all made the best of it and got along and helped each other.

Glad I had the experience.
Pros
environment, staff, location
Cons
Statistics Canada field interviewer work is interesting, and allows for flexibility of scheduling, however it is best suited as secondary income.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  variousJune 10, 2016
Interviewers work at select sites across the country, with supervisors and managers often working from different locations. Good communication systems and training allow interviewers to have confidence to work competently in their local communities. Personal confidentiality is a must.
Avoid by all means
Operational Staff (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2015
Let's start with the good:
- Good job security
- Typically good government benefits
- Rarely have to work overtime

The bad:
- Poor management and leadership
- Toxic work environment
- Non-professional demeanour and attire (white socks on sandals, cargo pants, and baggy wrinkled t-shirts).
- Employees will escalate trivial issue to senior management on a regular basis

Conclusion: Avoid like the plague.
Very diversified and team-oriented environment
Recruitment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2016
As an HR student I gained experience in the recruitment and selection aspect of HR management screening, administering tests, and reference checking.
Work was very detail-oriented and performance driven.
Enjoyed working with people from different cultural backgrounds
must be adaptable as things change frequently

*this position was contract for the 2016 Census
Overall good experience
Census Operator/Quality Control Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 9, 2016
A typical day involves answering calls from respondents inquiring about the census and helping them complete the form.
I also assisted the Quality Control Team. Which means I made sure any tickets or inquiries got sent to the right department. A lot of data entry was involved. Helping the QC team was the best part of my job.
Great view but expensive parking
Recruitment Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 9, 2016
If an employee is not full time and you express grievances against a full-time employee, it gets you no-where. Other than that, apart from this bad apple, the rest of the team is an amazing group, unfortunately as a contract worker, it appears that our concerns are at the bottom of the totem pole.
Pros
Continuous challenge to meet goals hence never bored
Cons
No room for advancement as a contract casual worker
Great experience
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 17, 2016
This was a great position and I gained so much valuable experience from this short term 7 month project. The work can be a bit chaotic and management a bit disorganized but it we pulled through it as a team and all came out stronger people from the experience and I gained many life long friends.
Pros
great life experience
Cons
short term work and stressful at times
Work at your pace!
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Rogersville-ouest, NBJuly 6, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. Very efficient and educational in training. The on site was a bit unorganised but I believe that had a lot to do with technical difficulties. All in all it was a great working experience and I would gladly accept another offer to work there!
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Only temporary
Relaxing, but not motivating
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 26, 2015
A work day consisted mostly of traveling from one house to another to do surveys with families. You get the door slammed in your face a lot because most people simple do not want to participate in surveys. Changing the minds of people who have refused surveys was the hardest part. The refusals go into your response rate so you don't want to have that many or else it looks really bad.

70% of this job is chasing down respondents

Most enjoyable part of the job was when respondents DID participate in the survey, they're usually really nice and you end up having a really nice talk with them. I met a lot of new people on the job.

Management is quite disorganized as everyone is based at different locations because everyone works from home. The only form of communication was by phone or email.

After that 6 month mark, you do get government benefits so that's a definite up side!
Pros
great hours, decent pay, good benefits
Cons
absolutely no chance for promotion or raises
I enjoyed working as an enumerator
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work involved me following up with non-respondents of the census. This involves me going to their homes in order to assist them with completing the census. Following this, I work from home to update the census database.

The hardest part of the job was the occasional hot day!
productive and friendly place to work part time
telephone interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 4, 2016
telephone contacted specific Canadians for pertinent mandatory information related to labor force, farm activity and individual health information
Pros
most Canadians share detailed personal information
Cons
encouraging non-compliant citizens
Great learning curve
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  East Parry SoundSeptember 21, 2015
In my position I was able to encourage enumerators to do a good job and how to accomplish that task. I was able to get them to work together and cover for others when problems arose. I met a lot of really nice people in the organization. But the hardest part was having to talk to one individual regarding his mode of dress that was unacceptable for someone meeting the public and eventually was required to remove him from the position.
The best part is the friends that were made and continue to this day.
Pros
Opportunity to develop individual skills in time management
Cons
Job didn't last long enough
Excellent experience in learing how the Census is run.
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 19, 2016
I enjoyed learning the behind the scenes functions of preparing for a Census and the processes during it. It was a temporary job but and excellent way to earn some $ and learn about this event crucial to the future development of Canada.
Well organized and
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ONAugust 11, 2015
As a telephone interviewer it is my job to contact private households as well as businesses to conduct statistical surveys. In a typical day, I can speak to anywhere from 60 to 100+ individuals on issues regarding health, labour relations, time management, business expenditures or any number of other topics. It is my responsibility to solicit their participation and to maintain a respectful dialogue at all times. Although this work is strictly regulated, it is very self-motivating. I am responsible for managing my own time and appointments and am expected to meet general production rates.

Although the management team is very respectful and well trained, the fact that there are such a large number of them leads to discrepancies in the instruction from one supervisor to the next. This furthers the self-motivating aspect of the work in that the interviewers are often left to use their own judgement when dealing with uncertainties or difficult situations.

The most challenging part of my job also happens to be what makes it so simple; it is very repetitive. It can be challenging to maintain the same level of enthusiasm throughout the day when you're simply repeating the same action over for hours at a time. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is, by far, my co-workers. The office supervisors do an excellent job of maintaining a respectful and enjoyable work environment which makes it easier for the employees to develop relationships and work as a team.
Pros
Unionized, benifits, fair management
Cons
Part-time, high turnover, little room for advancement
Fun workplace for a student
Enumerator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 23, 2016
This was a job for me while I was in school and it taught me many valuable characteristics I still find of value today about managing, customer service and really allowed me to build on my organization skills at an early age.

4.2