Statistics Canada

Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
No job security and extremely limited opportunities for promotion
Field Interviewer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours
Cons: No job security and limited opportunities for growth
While I liked the flexibility in my work hours, I absolutely couldn't put up with the fact that there was minimal job security, if not at all.

First of all, you're hired on short-term contracts. On top of that, you're, more often than not, hired on a part-time basis. The pay is approximately $15 per hour, which is peanuts depending on the stress you get in the line of your work. (To be fair, – more... there are additional benefits, but they do not do justice to the efforts you put in and risks associated with the job, including assaults, hazards, etc.)

Second, opportunities to get hired on a permanent basis or at least on a full-time contract basis are limited. Even if you perform well on the job, there's no guarantee that you'll be recommended to become a core interviewer.

Third, efficiency is often not rewarded. You can reach your performance target in, say, 10 hours; your colleague works 25 hours to achieve the target. In reviewing your performance -- which is not even discussed with you in detail -- you will be given an extension contract on worse terms, by which I mean the absence of certain benefits.

Fourth, I didn't know how I was performing and where I could improve. In my six months with Statistics Canada, not once did I have a formal performance review with my line manager.

Fifth, interviewers often don't see their role in the big picture. Many interviewers just think about their job, which is data collection. Knowing how important our input is to the success of a survey or project is critical to ensure that interviewers collect high-quality statistical data. – less
good work environment
Interviewer (Former Employee), sherbrooke, QuebecJuly 14, 2015
Pros: boring
Cons: good pay
Call people and interview them about various subjects such as farming ect ...

Time went by very slowly, very repetitive job and tasks.

Never had to work overtime always finished on time.
Excellent working environment and staff
Quality Control Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: environment, staff, location
Cons: none
Hours spent reviewing census forms for completeness and accuracy.

Learned to communicate effectively with people who were unsure of the census and it's laws.

Management were amazing. Allowing us to grow and learn.

Co-workers were a group of the most diverse and wonderful people. All ages, all nationalities. We learned alot from each other about our diverse cultures.

The hardest part of – more... the job were the hours. We worked 10-12 hour days but it was worth it in the end.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. We had fun, laughed, worked hard, helped each other and had amazing potluck lunches every other Friday.

I believe that because we knew this was only a 15 week contract job, we all made the best of it and got along and helped each other.

Glad I had the experience. – less
Avoid by all means
Operational Staff (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2015
Let's start with the good:
- Good job security
- Typically good government benefits
- Rarely have to work overtime

The bad:
- Poor management and leadership
- Toxic work environment
- Non-professional demeanour and attire (white socks on sandals, cargo pants, and baggy wrinkled t-shirts).
- Employees will escalate trivial issue to senior management on a regular basis

Conclusion: Avoid like the plague.
Different job
Phone interviewer (Former Employee), Sturgeon FallsMay 26, 2015
I didnt like this position nor task. All phone interviewers are put in the front line, by doing so we recived many confrontations and abusives interviews. The governement should annonce the survey, it will help cooperation between those who are being called and the interviewers.
Valued my work experience, and a very productive and pleasant work team
Assistant Statistical Clerk (Former Employee), Gatineau, PQMay 15, 2015
Management was fair, co-workers were brilliant, job was not hard, liked being busy, learned a tremendous amount about the department.
Prodcutive
Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Field, BCMarch 17, 2015
Really enjoyed the place and people. Really enjoyed the place and people. Really enjoyed the place and people
Relaxing, but not motivating
Field Interviewer (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great hours, decent pay, good benefits
Cons: absolutely no chance for promotion or raises
A work day consisted mostly of traveling from one house to another to do surveys with families. You get the door slammed in your face a lot because most people simple do not want to participate in surveys. Changing the minds of people who have refused surveys was the hardest part. The refusals go into your response rate so you don't want to have that many or else it looks really bad.

70% of this job – more... is chasing down respondents

Most enjoyable part of the job was when respondents DID participate in the survey, they're usually really nice and you end up having a really nice talk with them. I met a lot of new people on the job.

Management is quite disorganized as everyone is based at different locations because everyone works from home. The only form of communication was by phone or email.

After that 6 month mark, you do get government benefits so that's a definite up side! – less
A Great community of hard working, caring individuals with a huge array of interests
Contractual Data Collections/Interviewer (Former Employee), Sturgeon Falls, ONNovember 10, 2014
Early social coffee chat...before Alive telephone conversations with Canadians from coast to coast. Subject matter of conversations my include any number of "need to know" information used by the Federal Government for various reasons, and always under the Privacy Act of Canada.

Each Supervisor or Project manager has themselves worked their way up through the ranks of the system of higher and therefore – more... are knowledgeable, compassionate people who understand the value and trials of live telephone interviewing and data collects and are priceless wells of insight.

This is a continuous learning environment, with mini courses on each subject matter and how calls need to be handled in order to protect the integrity of the calls.These courses include mock calls, that can become the highlight of the course itself as role play takes on a life example of it's own.

This job is a lesson, a challenge and a joy in regard to protecting the privacy of, and listening to opinions and trial of Canadians from every walk of life, and is an eye opening experience for anyone. Definitely a job for communicators without prejudice. – less
Great company to work for
Enumerator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 8, 2014
Pros: great pay, good experience
Cons: n/a
-Door to door calls

-Over the phone calls

-Completed census forms for given dwellings
Interesting jobs; learned a lot
Assistant to Director / survey clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2014
Pros: very good benefits; understanding management;
Lots of variance in all the jobs I was assigned during my many years.
great place to work
LAN Administrator Census (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2014
I worked there over 10 years ago. As i recall it was a great place to work with good people.
Productive Work Environment, Good Management
Commodity Specialist / Statistical Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving for 7 am, opening up my email and checking voice mail. I make a plan of attack based on my work load, and set a goal for the day in terms of number of calls I needed to make.

Management is supportive, but at time gives too much work to staff. We work with strict deadlines, so having 5 projects that need to be completed by the end of the week, is at times very stressful and consuming.
Productive work place - Team oriented
Senior Statistical Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: long lunches, celebrations, activities, flexible hours
Cons: meeting tight deadlines
My typical day would start at 6:00 am and would finish at 2:00 pm. During this period of time, my work would involve sitting for along period of time in front of a computer.

During this time, I learned how to use a database by doing data entry and then setting up Excel spreadsheets with data from the database depending on the clients requests.

I excellent communication with my co-workers and management – more... was always there to help us in any way possible. Every month, we would participate in luncheons and group meetings. We would celebrate employees birthdays by having a pizza lunch or simply cake in the afternoon break. We would also organize picnics and Christmas parties.

The most stressful part of my job was meeting tight deadlines but we always managed to achieve them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that I had flexible hours and all my co-workers were all great to work with. – less
Good Department
Economist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Very nice colleagues

Helpful government officials

Computer skills training
office work
Cati Interviewer (Current Employee), EdmontonAugust 25, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: respondent may be difficult
talking to respondents, gathering data for the federal government. i get along with people really easy, nice working environment.
focused and policy oriented
ENUMERATOR / ADMIN SUPPORT (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 11, 2014
Collect statistical information door to door and worked closed with diverse population. Worked independently.
Overall great place to work
Special Projects / Web Publication Specialist (Current Employee), Ottawa, ON.July 28, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours at most times
Cons: location, nothing really much around.
As a Contractor, great opportunities to advance my skill sets, and developing new ones.

Great work life balance, along with social committee activities.
Interesting and varied job tasks.
Interviewer / Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 7, 2014
Pros: we were told exactly how to do our work correctly and professionnally.
Cons: almost minimun wage.
Great management, great training and trainers, great co-workers.
Interesting work.
Productive and Learning
Revision officer and Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
Pros: friendly supervisor
Cons: nothing noticed
Worked and contract just to cover my CMA program. Worked with Canadian citizens, make them aware of census and elections

1 2 3 4 5