Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

efficace
intervieweur (Current Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QC9 October 2017
Je reçois souvent des annonces pour des offres d'emplois.
Fun but that was about the Supervisor
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Goderich, ON5 October 2017
The training delivered by my specific supervisor really inspired me to inspire my troops. Made it very satisfying. Not sure it was like this for everyone.
Pros
Dynamic and interesting
Cons
when it was busy it was really busy.
Great temp. work with flexible hours
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 September 2017
- Create own schedule, so long as you hit a required minimum of households
- Dealt with public in a very personal way (i.e. going to their own homes and asking them questions pertaining to their livelihoods)
-Mostly worked on own, unless circumstances asked for more than one enumerator
- Sometimes the public was hostile towards enumerators
- Generally easy-going, work was very flexible and felt very involved in the community
Pros
created own hours
Cons
often encountered hostility
great opprotunity
enumerator (Former Employee) –  Walpole Island, ON28 September 2017
Loved working for statistics Canada, loved interviewing people. Didn't like the politics of the job. Did my best to do the job. which was an hour questionnaire and asking First Nations to participate in the census voluntarily. I met lots of great people and visiting was my favourite part of the job. I was welcome into the community and received with great hospitality. My boss wasn't that great.
Pros
paid by milage, and apprently its hard to find people to work with first nations people..I love it, and prefur it.
Cons
traveled for 2 hours each way to commute to work
Cr 3 prepare stat's can, doc's.
CR 3 (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 September 2017
Open bundle of returns.
Check for errors & correct.
Not everyone like to fill out the forms.
Management was excellent.
As I was partly physically disabled, they gave me the choice of which job to do, and I chose high speed scanning.
Enjoyable workplace, mostly all business, no talking.
Hardest part of job was taking scanners apart & do a thorough cleaning twice a night & putting back together.
Enjoyed trying to be top scanner & almost did one million scans in a shift, and getting congratulations from management.
Pros
loved pressure
Cons
hated to leave when contract ended.
Young atmosphere
Admin Assistant to Manager, Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
Busy environment
Learned about the census and the difficulties of obtaining accurate information for statistical purposes.
Management was easy to work with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
Downtown Edmonton
Cons
Expensive Parking
contract work
Telephone Interviewer, (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON22 September 2017
worked there for a contract period only, was for census Canada, took down personal and confidential information pertaining to statistics of household information
Ok
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
Pros
The pros of this job are:
-You are capable of setting your own schedule and resolving cases at your or the respondents' conveniences. Therefore, there's a good degree of flexibility in that regard.
-It's a very simple and easy-to-learn job; that is, the tasks associated with Enumeration are quite basic.
Cons
The cons of this job are:
-You don't get paid for the amount of non-response cases that you resolve unless you have the respondent's completed questionnaire with you to hand over to the supervisor (an hour of paid work = 3 short form questionnaires or 1 long form questionnaire). It doesn't count if you still managed to resolve the case, but don't have the physical questionnaire with you.
-It's advertised as …
Advice to Management
Please be a bit more fair in how Enumerators are paid. It isn't always possible to get a physical copy of someone's questionnaire because they don't always want the involvement of an Enumerator in the completion and sending of their completed census questionnaires. This in turn makes it extremely difficult to earn one's hours and in fact requires for one to do far more than part-time hours in order to get the desired results to get paid for a comparatively smaller amount of time.
Moreover, please take reports of difficult respondents and buildings more seriously. Don't simply take the case away for a little bit and then assign it back to the Enumerator as if nothing had happened.
productive and fun place to work
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE20 September 2017
excellent place to work, great co workers, amazing flexibility, always meeting new people. Work from home options are always available. perfect home life balance.
Pros
paid kilometers
Cons
not paid lunches
Great job if Secondary Household Income
Computer Assisted Personal Interviewer (Former Employee) –  BC14 September 2017
Really liked the job, the flexibility, working from home ,travelling to many areas & cities of the province, meeting the survey respondents, and understanding the meaning of the outcome of the interviews.

Unfortunately the workload and income was not predictable enough to maintain a single income household, securing a car loan or mortgage was difficult.

Want to know more about Statistics Canada?

Ask a question
working hard at all times working with youth keeping a strong relationship with all clients Making sure all around are safe within the company and the
Aboriginal Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2017
working hard at all times
working with youth
keeping a strong relationship with all clients
Making sure all around are safe within the company and the premises
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short term
Terrible, hated it
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
I hated it here, the only thing that was good was benefits (heath). They keep everyone on contract and thats how thy dont do oension and stuff. Its usually 3 or 6 months contracts. They cut shifts short and never any jb security
Flexible work
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 August 2017
One step out of your door and you are working already! Meet new people every day! However, you rarely meet your teammates, if you have a problem, you have to solve it yourself.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Isolation, work on your own
working from home office has its perks
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Montérégie, QC18 August 2017
This job has the advantage of flexible schedules that come with the downfall of having a large amount of availability hours for the actual worked hours. I work from my home office and make my work schedule according to clientele availability. The surveys are very dynamic and interesting. They touch a variety of subjects such as Health, Education, Labor, Household Spending and other economical and social issues.
Interviews are conducted over the phone and in person.I enjoy travelling and meeting new people. It gave me insight on different life realities to meet people with different backgrounds.
I had the opportunity to work on a survey across Canada for 4 years and visit beautiful locations across the country.I have acquired knowledge of diverse cultures that make this country unique.
Pros
flexible hours, wages and benefits
Cons
lack of work and unpredictable working schedule
A Learning Experience
Profiler/Enumerator/Travel Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2017
Working in a Federal Government atmosphere provided many learning opportunities as well as personal development. The work can get a little mundane but with the right colleagues it can be a rewarding employment situation.
Independent and Interactive learning environment
Questionnaire Support Unit & Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 August 2017
I had a great time at Statistics Canada. Friendly staff and co-workers. I had a great time with everyone and I enjoyed my job to the fullest without a single complaint.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long-hours
Treats Temporary staff like cattle
Payroll Clerk (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2017
Statistics Canada was a very unprofessional, gossip plagued work environment. The temporary staff was given old and outdated computers, broken chairs, and non-ergonomic workstations. We were constantly told by permanent government management not to talk, make noise, etc. in the office.
Pleasant atmosphere enhanced by trust extended by management
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 July 2017
Independent workday plan;
Quality Assurance maintained as part of the ops
Leeway to use one's own management style to accomplish the desired outcomes
Built-in accuracy checking system
Excellent management
Pros
Free hand to schedule one's workday
Cons
Dealing with some hostile members of the public
Enjoyed worked for Statistics Canada.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 July 2017
I enjoyed being part of the important job of enumerating collectives, individuals and families for the 2016 Census. I was able to select my own hours and organize my own work. There was support when needed and the processes were efficient.
Pros
Flexible hours
Horaire flexible,
Agent Recenseur (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC18 July 2017
Excellent employeur chez qui faire carrière serait envisageable et plaisant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Statistics Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2