State Street

State Street Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced and changing environment.
Vice President, Global Operations (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: advancement opportunities
Cons: work/life balance
Things are constantly changing at State Street to improve the business. The management is highly engaged in day to day activities. The hardest part of the job is the potential for stress. The most enjoyable is the numerous opportunities for advancement.
Great Starting Place
Intermediate Corporate Actions Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 13, 2014
Great place to start a career, however many people end up stagnant in one role.
A great introduction to the corporate world
Securities Lending Specialist (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2014
My typical work day was to ensure that securites were delivered and returned by contractual settlement day. I was blessed to work with wonderful co-workers and management. It made my tenure there a wonderful experience.
Great place
Global Services Third Party Lending Specialist (Former Employee), Irvine, CAFebruary 9, 2014
Great place to work. will highly recommend it to anyone. I would tell people to join this place if they want to learning accouting from scratch.
fun to work a summer job
owner / operator (Former Employee), Struthers, OHFebruary 7, 2014
Love to own and work in the concession business. Love to work with people. Love to do all the paperwork.
Good place to start off
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 3, 2014
Typical day start at 8AM to 4:30 PM. I had a great AVP and co-worker treated really good.
Client Operations Manager for a confidential State Street client
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee), 2 Avenue de LafayetteJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexibility of working from home
Cons: raises, compensation, low morale
Approval of account overdrafts
Monitoring of trade settlements
Responding to client inquiries
Working on spcial projects for client
Meh
Hedge Fund Accountant (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Depending on the team you will be assigned to, you will either love it or hate it here. All positions pay the same at every level, if you get set up with an easy team you get paid as much as someone on a team that has a high learning curve.
Average Workplace
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee), Quincy, MAJanuary 23, 2014
Average Workplace.Good location.Good people.
I work for a development project and the experience so far has been good
GREAT
Role QA Analyst/Manual (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 22, 2014
ENGINEERED TECHNIQUES IN ROLE OF QA ANALYST AND PROJECT ROLE SETTLEMENT
Great place for accounting lovers
Accounting/Pricing Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 22, 2014
fund accounting at state street is great for accounting lovers. each day there are required tasks that take critical thinking
Regular Office with cubicles
Fund Accountant, Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 21, 2014
• Review reports prepared by colleagues to identify and track entries that impact NAVs
• Review and provide oversight for capstock, distribution, and trading activity
• Provide information needed to prepare financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
• Analyze distributions, capstock activity, and variances between the ledger and sub-ledger
 – more... Verify and review trading activity of equities, bonds, futures, and derivatives using a Bloomberg
• Analyze variances between ledger and sub-ledger to ensure accurate book-keeping
• Process and update expenses, income smoothing, and distributions. – less
Great company to get started in if you're looking to work in Finance.
Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee), Quincy, MAJanuary 21, 2014
I have learned a great deal working at State Street especially becoming more familiar with Microsoft Excel as well as improving my management skills. Typically we monitor our client's fund's activity throughout the day & provide the client with various reports. I also provide the client with pricing reports once the Market closes. The management is – more... always around if any questions arise or even when advice is needed. I have found the management is very hands on. I enjoy my co workers and interacting with them is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. The hardest part of the job is keeping an eye on other departments to make sure they are catching any potential errors with reports or not completing tasks in a timely manner. But for the most part those issues rarely come up. – less
Learned exceptional amount during my time there.
Portfolio Administrator/Custody Specialist (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great managers to be so patient and teach me so well.
Cons: sending more work overseas
During my beginning years at State Street Co I had terrific managers that taught me an incredible amount of information and really pushed me. I was extremely happy there. I learned many different aspects of fund accounting and was responsible for day to day monitoring of portfolios activity. Daily I would perform cash forecasting, reconciliation (cash/asset), – more... data input, income, corporte actions, alternative trades, expenses, trade monitoring, failed trade resolution, aged items, processing incoming or outgoing wires, transfers or checks and invest in clients EOD short-term vehicles. Answer any internal or external questions or issues to different departments, investment managers and the clients. I was also chosen to work on a new client conversion. Which consisted of lots of manual input of foreign and domestic trading, setting up electronic processes and working closely with the client to keep them happy during this process. I then moved departments (with the new client account) to oversee the move to another department went smoothly. And then was given the opportunity to work in the fund accounting department, where I learned even more. During my time at State Street, I was fortunate to have great managers teach me so many different aspects of the whole process. – less
decent workplace
Fund Accountant (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: good hours, possible overtime opportunities
Cons: management structure, promotional opportunities
A decent company but they definitely need to stop with the total overall company changes. It is getting a bit overbearing and I also feel that a change is needed.
Experience Builder
Relationship Manager & Banking Officer (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: great place to gain experience
Cons: don't expect to advance unless you "play the game"
I have been at State Street for 15 years and have seen many changes, not all for the best. The company is more motivated to make a dollar than it is to ensure a happy staff.
Upper management creates cliques around the company and only rewards those that "fit" in their circle. They think nothing of changing your role whether it suits your career path – more... or not.
No such thing as Family time when you work for this company, you are expected to work, work, work and there is no understanding when you have a family obligation. – less
Loved it
Fund Analyst (Former Employee), Quincy, MAJanuary 17, 2014
I learned so much there I would love to go back. my teammates were the best I could as for.
Work is good, lots of pressure for consultants
Software Developer (Current Employee), QuincyJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: lots of ongoing projects
Cons: very tight schedules to deliver them
I am a consultant in SS. Work is good depending on the project you work in. sometimes when you get involved in production issues, it eats a lot of your development time.
reading room or a safe place to walk around and close by good food
Account Manager, Mutual Funds (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2014
Cons: better health care and benefits
Testing new technology and train the team members
To be able to handle multi taks and meet the deadlines
how to handle difficulty people
Like the most is training the team members
State Street has gone down hill
Client Service Associate (Former Employee), North Quincy, MAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: a company with a good name and long history in the business
Cons: no longer caring about their employees
From about three years ago when a new CEO took charge, the company went from a good 50/50 balance of taking care of and caring about employees, and also keeping the new business coming in, they went to all business and using their employees till the either crashed in their jobs or left.

About State Street

Ol' Blue Eyes sang about the State Street (that great street) in Chicago, but investors may find Boston's State Street more melodious. – Read more