State Street

State Street Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced work environment, extremely challenging but stressful
Vice President, Derivative Operations (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 2, 2014
Pros: fast paced, every day brings new challenges
Cons: no work life balance
Meet with management team on a daily/weekly basis to discuss key projects, and key risk factors.

Meet with clients to discuss our requirements to service their derivative products

Report to my senior management our key risk factors and our productivity metrics.

Work with vendors to ensure our service needs are being met

Hardest part of job is juggling multiple projects all with equal importance and starting at the same time.

No work life balance

Enjoy the people that I work with. Very dedicated and hard working
Vice President Fund administration (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 26, 2014
• Assisted with the start up and take on of new hedge funds
• Direct contact and good relations with various CFOs in different locations
• Conversations regarding AML (Anti Money Laundering) with investors
• Reviewing of NAV files prepared by team members, and assisting in solving issues
• Assist with system upgrades and implementations
• Client Due Diligence (CDD) and Know Your Client (KYC) management for potential new and existing clients

Achievements:
- Part of the team to do the take-on for administrating one of the biggest hedge funds in the USA, the York funds;
- Assisting in moving clients over to new Canadian operations.
A good startup company
Investment Accountant (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 21, 2015
Pros: People, working hours
Cons: salary, benefits, career opportunities
The people there is amazing and fun. Employees are young and smart. Mostly all of them are pursuing a CPA or CFA while working.

There are not much opportunity for advancement and learning, once you understand how the systems work and being able to get help from diverse department when needed, there are not much more to learn.

The job requires accounting and finance knowledge so graduating from one of these two bachelor you should be fine.

Work from 8-10 to 5-7pm it depends on the clients assigned to you
Great environment to work in
Summer Intern student at financial company (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: flexible times, nice and kind people
Cons: long hours, long hours of sitting on a chair
Working at State Street has allowed me to grow my knowledge in the working field. I spent my day infront of a computer inputting company data. The co-workers were very helpful and very friendly with me. The hardest part of the job was finishing all duties within the certain time limit. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact I was given my own freedom to come and go whenever.
A good place to gain experience.
Investment Accountant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: good place to gain experience
Cons: long hours, lack of work life balance, poor salary
I began my career at State Street, coming straight out of college, I had no idea of what to expect.

State Street was a great way to gain experience within the Mutual Fund industry. It was a stepping stone to me getting into my next place of employment.

There were some serious concerns, such as lack of work life balance, and the fact that we were required to work overnight on new years eve.
If you can go somewhere else, don't go to this company.
A2 (Former Employee), CANADASeptember 12, 2012
Pros: benefit package
Cons: very incompetent management, no recognition of hard working, full of office politics, bad work life balance, high turn over ratio, red tape all over, lower level employee treated as slave, poor pay
very incompetent management, no recognition of hard working, full of office politics, bad work life balance, high turn over ratio, red tape all over, lower level employee treated as slave, poor pay,
Productive Place to work
Financial Reporting Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great benefits and progressive carrer
Cons: long hours
State street is progressive company that strives for faciliating both staff and clients. I was a great place to work with excellent mangers and co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the concentrated work hours around reporting periods. My co- workers and the learning opportunities I was afforded were the most enjoyable part of my jon
Challenging, Client Service
Senior Client Service Associate (Current Employee), TorontoJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: lunch break and celebration are fun
Cons: long hours sometimes are neccessary
At work servicing client is a challenge. Accuracy and productivity is most required.
Teamwork is mostly experienced to deliver the best to the clients.
Co-workers and different work related co-ordination has been very effective
Enjoy having many courses and availability of learning tools to excel.
great long term company or stepping stone for recent grads
Senior Analyst (Team Lead), Securities Valuation (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 19, 2012
Pros: great benefits, great work-life balance
Cons: extremely low salary
- valuation of all securities held in all hedge funds on a daily basis
- time management, multitasking are important
- the people at this company make it worthwhile
- stressful daily deadlines can make it tough at times
Productive work environment
Trade Processor (Former Employee), 30 Adelaide StreetNovember 19, 2013
The job it self was challenging on a day to day basis due to system
enhancements. to meet the clients requirements. The group that I was in, was very cooperative and helpful; especially when targets are to be met on a timely fashion. Overall, the Management was very supportive, in providing the necessary tools to achieve our goals.
Lots to learn but hard to apply
Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2012
Pros: lots of fun individuals to work with who are all fairly young
Cons: must adapt quickly in their roles or else the job responsibilities can be easily overwhelming
The company is an overall good company to start off at if an individual wants to enter the investment/ financial industry.
A great starting place
Senior Investment Accountant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 28, 2012
State Street is a good place to start a career and an excellent opportunity to learn more about the financial service industry. The managers are helpful and great mentors. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet and interact with great people.
Easy going work environment
Senior Pricing Specialist (Former Employee), 30 Adelaide Street EastAugust 28, 2014
Pros: happy go lucky work environment
Cons: management lacks skills to properly handle certain situations
A thirst for knowledge and proactive attitude will be greatly rewarded within the company. Work is at times stressful, but manageable.
no concept of work life balance
Senior Analyst (Former Employee), torontoAugust 20, 2015
Pros: can get in without much experience
Cons: no concept of work life balance
management is not understanding at all..very high turn over. no body cares if you leave or join...very selfish attitude. Just keep working. management runs on favoritism.
Learned a lot in this position.
Derivatives Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Very fast paced, well structured work environment. Everything had a specific procedure, and everything was thoroughly cross checked to make sure there was no human errors.
Investment Operations
Senior Investment/Fund Accountant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 4, 2013
Pros: great learning experience, specialised industry
Cons: long hours
I developped great Microsoft Excel Skills, I gained a lot of knowledge of Financial products and a very unique aspect of accounting
Good experience at entry level, but repetitive and not a place to stay long
Senior Operations Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 23, 2014
Accounting reconciliation. Learned some excel skills. Got exposure to back office finance operations. Work gets quite boring and repetitive.
INVESTMENT MANAGER REPRESENTATIVE
Investment Manager Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: long hours
GOOD PLACE TO START CAREER, HARD WORK, LEARN LOTS OF VALUABLE SKILLS FOR PURSUING CAREER IN FINANCE
LACK ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FOR WORK LIFE BALANCE
No work life balance
Fund Accountant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
State Street preaches work life balance however that is not the case. They work you like a dog with no added compensation. There is no true management structure as such the teams are left to fend for themselves.
good for first job
Investment Accountant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2015
Pros: no over time
Cons: management inefficient
generally speaking this is a good place to start as first job, but need to consider better opportunities, promotion room is not good, high rotation rate
Headquarters