State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Excellent Position
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  State Farm Insurance13 August 2013
My position as a receptionist has provided me with excellent communication skills.
I learned how to deal with complaints from customers while working for State Farm. The job had basic skills that included cleaning, taking calls, payments as well as booking appointments. However I was also required to explain some of the benefits that State Farm has to offer.
Dealing with people has always been my favourite part of any job and I loved being a part of a team.
A good place to work, good people and helpful managers
Analysis and Reporting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON15 May 2015
A good organization that keeps its employees in mind. Recent acquisition by another company and therefore a change in culture in forthcoming.
Pros
Good vacation and benefits
Cons
No growth opportunities currently.
Productive and Fun
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora15 September 2015
Great place to work. Co-workers are helpful and training was good. Flexible and understanding managers. Great pay, benefit package.
Great workplace!
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga ON28 August 2015
Great workplace! You will learn so much on how to deal with clients.The people are fun to work with. You will learn how to organize yourself and multi task.
Excellent training and management.
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 May 2015
Excellent company to work for. Thorough training, friendly management and up-beat staff make for an excellent work environment.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, good training. Good bonuses.
Cons
Benefits could be a bit better.
great company, work/life balance
technician (Current Employee) –  aurora, on27 April 2015
Great company overall, transition to new company causing some stresses.

Certain areas in the company offer flexible shifts to accommodate home life.

Too many leadership layers, slow to move processes along

Great people at this company
State Farm Insurance
System Load & Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora Ontario28 April 2014
Work environment was pretty good. You often hear the company business strategy.

Co-workers were nice and you can feel that there is always a team spirit in the atmosphere.
The hardest part of the job was to deal with outside vendor.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to complete projects. You will get a sense of job satisfaction.
Busy days!
Insurance Account Representative/Underwriting (Current Employee) –  Milton, Ontario30 October 2013
My average day at work is constant which I enjoy. I use a lot of energy to process information, service existing clients and gain new business as well. I have learned effective communication skills, multi tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and completing tasks in a timely manner. Management micro manages the team and my co-workers help out but don't seem to share the same drive as myself. I feel the environment is not enough for me to reach my goals and I would like to expand with my knowledge. The hardest past of my job is delivering negative news to clients although I have managed to communicate professionally. The best part of my job is the unknown everyday, I really enjoy new tasks and problems coming to me as I am always eager to solve them!
Pros
Independant decision making, client satisfaction
Cons
No lunches, no work life balance, environment is not fit for me
Awesome work envoirnment.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2015
The project involved revamping Agency Contract management system into new RDBMS. It combined various details about individual Agency into one easy application. Project captured all the details ranging from Name, address, phone and Fax number, e-mail address while linking it to Databases storing Agency Production and Profitability details. Responsibilities included:

• Performed Gap analysis, conducted walk through and acted as liaison between the Business users, Stakeholders and the development team to perform requirements gathering.
• Gathered business requirements through sessions and analysis by interviewing users and SME.
• Analyzed Business/system requirements using requirements arbitrage and assign appropriate priorities.
• Effectively managed requirement change requests during various phases of project life cycle.
• Ensured all requirements, enhancements have been met.
• Managed change and enhancement request. Got system approvals by conducting UAT sessions.
State Farm Insurance Agencies
Agency Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kingston, Ontario26 January 2013
State Farm is a pleasant and interesting place to work. Both Agencies that I worked with were good with a focus on supporting staff to make a difference for the clients. Good benefits and a caring boss makes State Farm a great place to be.
Fun place to work, not enough training to do the job
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON24 May 2013
Really nice place to work with the majority of people being really nice and friendly to work with. However, management is not so good and the training for the position I have is really bad
Decent earning opportunities, suffers from agency model, expect unpaid overtime
Agency Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2016
As a disclaimer, my experiences do not reflect all State Farm agencies, nor working directly for State Farm / Desjardins corporate.

State Farm functions under the agency model. As such, each agency is essentially an independent small business with the agent as the supreme hiring/firing authority, with vague oversight by the parent company. As such, your experience working for a State Farm agent will be directly related to that agent's policies and practices. My review here is based on the agencies I worked for.

If you are a strictly sales-minded individual, you will likely do well in this environment. As a result of the agency model, do not expect modern coaching methods that focus on employee development, working individually and as a group to set reasonable, achievable goals, or deal with feedback in a positive manner. The agents I worked for could best be described as a mix of absentee leadership with all-stick-no-carrot when it came to addressing issues in the office. Typically the only direct interaction with the agent was disciplinary in nature, and poorly administered. Without an HR department or higher authority to appeal to, or even modern leadership/coaching methods, this led a very negative experience that fostered resentment, hampered productivity, hurt office morale, and created a highly adversarial atmosphere. Recognition for good performance outside of strictly sales numbers (despite 50% or more of the workload being service related to retain clients) was non-existent.

Attempts to suggest improved business practices that would aid workflow,
  more... productivity, and/or morale, were typically disregarded or actively discouraged if they deviated in any way from existing practices. All responsibility for performance lumped on the employees, and leadership in the office exhibited limited to no ownership unless success was involved. Advancement in the industry under the agency model is also completely at the whim of your agent, unless you are willing to invest large amounts of unpaid personal time in self-study (typically ~20 hours per line of business, or 40 hours of study + exam fees per licence).

Bottom line, unless you get very lucky, expect a boss not a leader when working for a State Farm agent. Additionally, do not expect benefits as this varies by office.

Again this varies by agency, however, themes of: too much work for too few people, poor or antiquated business practices, resistance to positive change or modernization, and focusing on development of new staff over existing staff, remained consistent across my experiences. I cannot in good conscience recommend this environment to anyone unless you are the sales-focused type.
Pros
Varies by agency: paid vacation & paternity leave, occasional paid lunches/staff events
Cons
High-stress, all the negatives of small offices, benefits optional, advancement options may be limited by agent
Great Summer Position
Summer Student (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 May 2014
I've worked with State Farm for the last 4 summers, typical duties include answering phones, taking messages, faxing doxuments, making collection calls, collecting payment, etc. Overall a great experience!
Very organized and enjoyable job.
Part Time Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 June 2013
Extremely busy and fast paced environment. Im a very organized individual so I enjoyed keeping things clean and organized in the office and making sure customers were taken care of.
Very Good Place to Work and Management is friendly
Oracle Apps Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, IL19 May 2013
Very Good Place to Work and learn Various technologies and Business partners and Management is friendly to Interact.
Great experience and ready to improve more
INSURANCE & FINANCIAL ADVISOR & AGENCY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON26 February 2014
great workplace to begin and trained and now ready to improve more.
Pros
organize
Cons
income
Great place to work at, everyone is very nice.
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON10 June 2013
Great place to work at, everyone is very nice, it is with agency, so no benefits.
Pros
awesome staff
Cons
not enough personnel
Productive, fun loving
Sales rep (Former Employee) –  Mississauga15 April 2013
The targets set were too high, as its a franchise, the office doenst have too many people and sometimes can get quite boring
Fun place
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON2 March 2014
Learned alot and enjoyed helping people. Hardest part was helping people who needed more time to pay their bill.
Pros
customers
energetic and high pressure
Claim Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora12 November 2013
very energetic, high pressure and great atmosphere, people were very friendly and helpful
Pros
salary
Cons
location