State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Busy days!
Insurance Account Representative/Underwriting (Current Employee) –  Milton, Ontario30 October 2013
My average day at work is constant which I enjoy. I use a lot of energy to process information, service existing clients and gain new business as well. I have learned effective communication skills, multi tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and completing tasks in a timely manner. Management micro manages the team and my co-workers help out but don't seem to share the same drive as myself. I feel the environment is not enough for me to reach my goals and I would like to expand with my knowledge. The hardest past of my job is delivering negative news to clients although I have managed to communicate professionally. The best part of my job is the unknown everyday, I really enjoy new tasks and problems coming to me as I am always eager to solve them!
Pros
Independant decision making, client satisfaction
Cons
No lunches, no work life balance, environment is not fit for me
energetic and high pressure
Claim Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora12 November 2013
very energetic, high pressure and great atmosphere, people were very friendly and helpful
Pros
salary
Cons
location
Great place to work at, everyone is very nice.
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON10 June 2013
Great place to work at, everyone is very nice, it is with agency, so no benefits.
Pros
awesome staff
Cons
not enough personnel
excellent company
Multiple Lines Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  san Anselmo, ca25 April 2016
excellent company to work for. Gained valuable experience with numerous products to sell and excellent customer service skill acquired.
heavy work load but great team
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2014
My manager has excellent management skill overall and we have a great team work culture in place. They do provide you a full training section and 1 month in house training while you are performing your job. It makes you feel you have a team back you up. However, the workload is just way too much to handle and low pay. It is a great opportunity to learn and start your career.
Productive and fun workplace, impressive facilities and in-house Tim Horton's
Life Insurance Policy Administrator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, On22 January 2013
A typical day at work starts at 8:30 and runs until 4:30. We get a 45 minute lunch break. Management is very approachable and co-workers are easy to work with. Hardest part of the job would be at crunch time (end of promotions for agents) and we find ourselves understaffed due to absenteeism or vacations. Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help clients.
Pros
in-house tim hortons
Cons
location is way up north, difficult for employees who do not drive
A great starter job but no room for advancement
Insurance Account Representative/Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2015
This job was a great start after I graduated university, unfortunately it falls flat in advancement.

All I can do is sell more, sell more and sell more.

It was a great learning experience collaborating with underwriters and adjusters to meet clients needs.

My colleagues and boss were understanding when I was sick and had to attend to an family emergencies.

I loved building relationships with clients and having those people ask for me. It felt great that I was doing a good job and they appreciated my service.

There were times when clients could be difficult but I learned skills that were helpful in calming them down when they were frustrated. Insurance isn't an easy business but there is reward when you help a client.

I had hoped for more structure in the office, it was very disorganized at times.
Awesome work envoirnment.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2015
The project involved revamping Agency Contract management system into new RDBMS. It combined various details about individual Agency into one easy application. Project captured all the details ranging from Name, address, phone and Fax number, e-mail address while linking it to Databases storing Agency Production and Profitability details. Responsibilities included:

• Performed Gap analysis, conducted walk through and acted as liaison between the Business users, Stakeholders and the development team to perform requirements gathering.
• Gathered business requirements through sessions and analysis by interviewing users and SME.
• Analyzed Business/system requirements using requirements arbitrage and assign appropriate priorities.
• Effectively managed requirement change requests during various phases of project life cycle.
• Ensured all requirements, enhancements have been met.
• Managed change and enhancement request. Got system approvals by conducting UAT sessions.
When I worked for them I had a great time and my workmates were wonderful
data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  head office near Scarborough Town Centre12 February 2013
Not stressful but very productive. Started early and finished at a good hour. Management was great when I worked for my female supervisor, a wonderful lady. My co-workers were a joy to work with, They came from varied backgrounds and it was a great experience learning about or lifestyles etc. The hardest part of the job was when we went to a team aspect and sometimes workers did not pull their own weight. The most memorable part of my job was when we did an employee - team booster competition. FUN...
Pros
nice christmas bonus that you could pick from a list of appliances to collector plates
Cons
non realy
A good company undergoing growing pains
Policy Assembly (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CO15 November 2015
When I worked for State Farm, the company was in the middle of restructuring. Divisions were being downsized and consolidated, and everyone was struggling to readjust to the new workload.

Beyond that, it was a good experience. I learned a lot, and the atmosphere was supportive. I definitely enjoyed my time there. Pity my temporary assignment ended.
Pros
Encouraging atmosphere, good pay
Cons
Tumultuous workload

Want to know more about State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company?

Ask a question
Insurance was a new field for me but I enjoyed learning and the whole experience.
MARKETING AND COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 December 2013
The agent at my particular office was very supportive and gave a lot of room to learn.
The co-workers were absolutely fantastic always ready to help when requested. The hardest part of the job was getting acquainted with section of the system that was DOS based.
The most enjoyable part was definitely the team and then getting to know the clients.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Not too many advancement prospects
Unproductive place to work
office admin (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON4 November 2015
Always unable to catch up on work that was so far behind, ( 6 months)
Very sneaky, makes promises and never keeps them.

Owner makes it impossible to speak to manager as she keeps the manager in her office all day, then gets mad when the work load was unfinished...
Pros
Owner is rarely at work
Cons
When she is no work gets done
Enjoyable place to work
Claims Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 May 2012
Working with clients who are sometimes not able to assist themselves. You are brought in as a relief to the family. Not many people are able to handle this type of job, this entails individuals to have patience and understanding.

Typical day includes bathing and feeding patients as well as keeping them company and taking them on small field trips...walk in the park, movie, mall (if patient can comprehend).

Hardest part of the job at times is when the patient is at a stage where they can't speak and you basically try to figure out what they are possibly going through. Enjoyable part is listening to some of their stories from their earlier days.
Pros
friendly, fun, family oriented
Cons
copying files
Positive role model.
Office Representative (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON28 November 2013
The staff and clientele relationship is found throughout every corner of this company. I have never worked somewhere were clients and staff communicate as a family. Clients come into the office as if they are visiting an uncle or an aunt simply dropping by for a friendly chat. My tasks were positioned mostly in the back completing office organization duty's or at the clients claims to obtain photographs. The hardest part of my job was forgetting to smile due to the overall positive attitude from all the clients spreading throughout the office staff.
Pros
Even if you had a bad weekend it was hard not to smile once you walked in the office.
Cons
Sitting in the same position for majority of the shift.
Great place to work with plenty of resources ans opportunity to grow
Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON21 September 2015
It wasn't just your typical 9-5 office job. Priding themselves on mentoring, diversity and inclusion, several internal committees, and employee incentives - they made a stressful insurance claims department fun to work in.
Pros
Internal cafe, Tim Horton's in the building, Flexible Schedule
excellent working conditions, great pay, fair employer,
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON18 December 2013
i worked as a receptionist and enjoyed my daily duties. Some clients were difficult as most complaints involved rates, increases, and dissatisfied with the outcome of their claims.
It was a Mon to Fri job, 9-5 with no overtime ever. My employer was a mild mannered person who was very fair with us and defended us against clients who tried to abuse us in any way.
Unfortunately, i was laid off due to lack of work at the time.
Pros
fair employer, very nice office, i was respected, rate of pay was acceptable
Cons
trying to calm irate customers and justify why their rates had changed
Productive and calm environment workplace
Customer Service/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  mississauga, on24 July 2012
State Farm is a great company to work for. I learned so much about insurance and office work, gained much experience and knowledge about many different things. My co-workers are great to be around; they're fun, outgoing and simply amazing! The hardest part of the job is keeping up with everything when it's a busy day, many customers call in for quotes which becomes pretty hectic but still is a fun task to do. The most enjoyable part of this job is putting the insurance information into the system.
Pros
free beverages
Cons
short breaks
good and bed part in job but still it is good compare to other field
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2015
It is good professional environment. Some day are excellent. I learned a lot regarding product, regarding discipline and sincerity.
It is very good experience with co workers.
hardest part of job is to satisfying customer for product comparison and rate comparison with other company.
Most enjoyable part is talking to different kinds of people.
Pros
good working hrs
Cons
Saturday working
I worked there over 20 years ago and it was one of the best places to work.
Administrative - Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 September 2012
I miss my friends there and wish we could all be together again. We had great team spirit and enthusiasum. My supervisor was a fine and fare lady to work with even though we had some really heavy workload days we all pulled together to make it a pleasant day. We had pot luck lunches throughout the year and it was great because we all came from various backgrounds. What a joy.
Pros
learned alot of various jobs
Cons
some people got away with murder
great company, work/life balance
technician (Current Employee) –  aurora, on27 April 2015
Great company overall, transition to new company causing some stresses.

Certain areas in the company offer flexible shifts to accommodate home life.

Too many leadership layers, slow to move processes along

Great people at this company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location