State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews in Canada

Decent earning opportunities, suffers from agency model, expect unpaid overtime
Agency Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2016
As a disclaimer, my experiences do not reflect all State Farm agencies, nor working directly for State Farm / Desjardins corporate.

State Farm functions under the agency model. As such, each agency is essentially an independent small business with the agent as the supreme hiring/firing authority, with vague oversight by the parent company. As such, your experience working for a State Farm agent will be directly related to that agent's policies and practices. My review here is based on the agencies I worked for.

If you are a strictly sales-minded individual, you will likely do well in this environment. As a result of the agency model, do not expect modern coaching methods that focus on employee development, working individually and as a group to set reasonable, achievable goals, or deal with feedback in a positive manner. The agents I worked for could best be described as a mix of absentee leadership with all-stick-no-carrot when it came to addressing issues in the office. Typically the only direct interaction with the agent was disciplinary in nature, and poorly administered. Without an HR department or higher authority to appeal to, or even modern leadership/coaching methods, this led a very negative experience that fostered resentment, hampered productivity, hurt office morale, and created a highly adversarial atmosphere. Recognition for good performance outside of strictly sales numbers (despite 50% or more of the workload being service related to retain clients) was non-existent.

Attempts to suggest improved business practices that would aid workflow,
  more... productivity, and/or morale, were typically disregarded or actively discouraged if they deviated in any way from existing practices. All responsibility for performance lumped on the employees, and leadership in the office exhibited limited to no ownership unless success was involved. Advancement in the industry under the agency model is also completely at the whim of your agent, unless you are willing to invest large amounts of unpaid personal time in self-study (typically ~20 hours per line of business, or 40 hours of study + exam fees per licence).

Bottom line, unless you get very lucky, expect a boss not a leader when working for a State Farm agent. Additionally, do not expect benefits as this varies by office.

Again this varies by agency, however, themes of: too much work for too few people, poor or antiquated business practices, resistance to positive change or modernization, and focusing on development of new staff over existing staff, remained consistent across my experiences. I cannot in good conscience recommend this environment to anyone unless you are the sales-focused type.
Pros
Varies by agency: paid vacation & paternity leave, occasional paid lunches/staff events
Cons
High-stress, all the negatives of small offices, benefits optional, advancement options may be limited by agent
excellent company
Multiple Lines Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  san Anselmo, caApril 25, 2016
excellent company to work for. Gained valuable experience with numerous products to sell and excellent customer service skill acquired.
A good company undergoing growing pains
Policy Assembly (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CONovember 15, 2015
When I worked for State Farm, the company was in the middle of restructuring. Divisions were being downsized and consolidated, and everyone was struggling to readjust to the new workload.

Beyond that, it was a good experience. I learned a lot, and the atmosphere was supportive. I definitely enjoyed my time there. Pity my temporary assignment ended.
Pros
Encouraging atmosphere, good pay
Cons
Tumultuous workload
Unproductive place to work
office admin (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ONNovember 4, 2015
Always unable to catch up on work that was so far behind, ( 6 months)
Very sneaky, makes promises and never keeps them.

Owner makes it impossible to speak to manager as she keeps the manager in her office all day, then gets mad when the work load was unfinished...
Pros
Owner is rarely at work
Cons
When she is no work gets done
Great place to work with plenty of resources ans opportunity to grow
Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONSeptember 21, 2015
It wasn't just your typical 9-5 office job. Priding themselves on mentoring, diversity and inclusion, several internal committees, and employee incentives - they made a stressful insurance claims department fun to work in.
Pros
Internal cafe, Tim Horton's in the building, Flexible Schedule
Productive and Fun
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  AuroraSeptember 15, 2015
Great place to work. Co-workers are helpful and training was good. Flexible and understanding managers. Great pay, benefit package.
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 3, 2015
State Farm Insurance is an amazing place to work. I worked with the best people and they truly care about their staff. The best part of the job was the people I worked with external and internal.
Great workplace!
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga ONAugust 28, 2015
Great workplace! You will learn so much on how to deal with clients.The people are fun to work with. You will learn how to organize yourself and multi task.
Excellent training and management.
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 21, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Thorough training, friendly management and up-beat staff make for an excellent work environment.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, good training. Good bonuses.
Cons
Benefits could be a bit better.
A good place to work, good people and helpful managers
Analysis and Reporting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONMay 15, 2015
A good organization that keeps its employees in mind. Recent acquisition by another company and therefore a change in culture in forthcoming.
Pros
Good vacation and benefits
Cons
No growth opportunities currently.
great company, work/life balance
technician (Current Employee) –  aurora, onApril 27, 2015
Great company overall, transition to new company causing some stresses.

Certain areas in the company offer flexible shifts to accommodate home life.

Too many leadership layers, slow to move processes along

Great people at this company
good and bed part in job but still it is good compare to other field
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 16, 2015
It is good professional environment. Some day are excellent. I learned a lot regarding product, regarding discipline and sincerity.
It is very good experience with co workers.
hardest part of job is to satisfying customer for product comparison and rate comparison with other company.
Most enjoyable part is talking to different kinds of people.
Pros
good working hrs
Cons
Saturday working
A great starter job but no room for advancement
Insurance Account Representative/Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 10, 2015
This job was a great start after I graduated university, unfortunately it falls flat in advancement.

All I can do is sell more, sell more and sell more.

It was a great learning experience collaborating with underwriters and adjusters to meet clients needs.

My colleagues and boss were understanding when I was sick and had to attend to an family emergencies.

I loved building relationships with clients and having those people ask for me. It felt great that I was doing a good job and they appreciated my service.

There were times when clients could be difficult but I learned skills that were helpful in calming them down when they were frustrated. Insurance isn't an easy business but there is reward when you help a client.

I had hoped for more structure in the office, it was very disorganized at times.
Comfortable work place with friendly co workers
Virtual Call Center Agent Home Based (Former Employee) –  CAFebruary 18, 2015
It has been a challenging work for me in State Farm. I developed patience during phone calls because some clients will say bad words over the phone and I even get insulted with some customers. But these doesn't stop me from the job because I took it as a challenge. The more I get "nos the closer I get yes." I did enjoy my job because I got many clients and I really enjoy communicating and dealing with them.
Pros
state farm - i work in our house super convenient and comfortable
Cons
not that good compensation
Awesome work envoirnment.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 25, 2015
The project involved revamping Agency Contract management system into new RDBMS. It combined various details about individual Agency into one easy application. Project captured all the details ranging from Name, address, phone and Fax number, e-mail address while linking it to Databases storing Agency Production and Profitability details. Responsibilities included:

• Performed Gap analysis, conducted walk through and acted as liaison between the Business users, Stakeholders and the development team to perform requirements gathering.
• Gathered business requirements through sessions and analysis by interviewing users and SME.
• Analyzed Business/system requirements using requirements arbitrage and assign appropriate priorities.
• Effectively managed requirement change requests during various phases of project life cycle.
• Ensured all requirements, enhancements have been met.
• Managed change and enhancement request. Got system approvals by conducting UAT sessions.
Great place work. Good potential for advancement and professional development.Management & company support in many L&D programs
Property Damage Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Aurora, OntarioJanuary 15, 2015
Great place work. Good potential for advancement and professional development.Management & company support in L&D programs, mentorship, etc.
Pros
benefits, perks, rewards. overall great company to work
Cons
mostly full-time positions only
Amazing place to work
Ontario Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONJanuary 13, 2015
A great place to work, provided me with a wonderful and dynamic learning experience.
heavy work load but great team
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2014
My manager has excellent management skill overall and we have a great team work culture in place. They do provide you a full training section and 1 month in house training while you are performing your job. It makes you feel you have a team back you up. However, the workload is just way too much to handle and low pay. It is a great opportunity to learn and start your career.
Good
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 24, 2014
solid work place with good coworkers, rewarding helping people become financial better off
Great place to work for new graduate.
Special Investigations Field Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Aurora, OnMay 17, 2014
Great opportunity for new graduate. Growth opportunities.