State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Excellent
Claims Triage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
Inbound call centre for State Farm policyholders for claims for home and auto insurance. I also had to assist by answer policy and coverage related questions.
Great opportunity
Personal Lines Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON7 March 2017
Working at State Farm has provided me great skills within the organization, sales, and communications aspects. enuring that the people in your community are protected is very rewarding
Pros
rewarding
Cons
Commition based
i love my coworker
Licensed Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON1 March 2017
-answer existing client inquiries
-take payments over the phone & in person
-make appropriate changes to policies
-record information accurately
-give quotes
Not a friendly environment
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 February 2017
very hostile atmosphere
agent not willing to give raises, wouldn't give lunch breaks
no benefits
disgruntled former employee kept coming around
no support from agent
not happy with statefarm
Licensed Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 February 2017
overall just not the company for me
low pay
management not the friendliest
multi tasking was a big part of the industry
wish there were more active sales -high turn over rate
Pros
long lunches
Cons
Welcoming and understanding work environment
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
I enjoyed almost every day I worked there. Customers could be stressful but coworkers and boss made it ok. The pay was low considering the stress and responsibility and there were no bonuses or financial incentives.
productive
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
 Over 4 years of banking and 6 years of insurance experience in the following areas: Sales & Marketing, Client/Customer Servicing, personal lending, investments, everyday banking needs, finance, insurance claims Examining/Auditing (auto), and Relationship management-corporate accounts.
 Skilled Communicator; ability to build strong, effective rapport with diverse range of clients/customers.
 Highly self motivated team player, with eagerness, competitiveness and confidence to engage in work which demands multitasking, surpassing targets, team leadership and high pressure.
 Customer service driven; ability to provide an enhanced customer experience while meeting company objectives.
 Outstanding research and business development acumen. Capable of identifying new business opportunities by analyzing market needs and capitalizing on trends before competition.
Busy busy at developing new business
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 December 2016
I am alway overwhelmed by new business. Most of new clients were referred by my existing clients due to my excellent service. My personality is to concern anyone's need as my priority. So, the problem can be usually addressed in the first place.
Pros
Good rate
Cons
discouraging incentive mechanism
Productive and learning on daily basis
Buisiness development rep (Former Employee) –  North York, ON17 November 2016
1. I worked on late evenings
2. By Consistent use of sales approach and techniques based on product or service solutions my skills improved.
3. I worked directly with marketing to discover opportunities from leads, and set appointments from those leads.
4. I gathered and verified all required customer information for tracking purposes.
5. Acted professionally and patiently when addressing negative customer feedback.
6. My co-workers were very interactive and discuss all possible solutions we face.
7. The hardest part of this job was collecting information from people who cannot speak English.
Pros
free candys
Cons
Less working hours
A job where every day was different dependent on customer needs
Insurance Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON16 August 2016
A typical day included completing prior tasks while taking on the new ones for the day. With the switchover to a new underwriting company new eligibility rules and quoting systems had to be learned in order to provide accurate information to the customers. This training ended up being self-taught, often resulting in slower response time to customers. With the help of a great experienced co-worker to assist, we were able to work together to get things completed in a timely manner. Dealing with rude clients added to the stress of the job, but the appreciative clients made the job bearable.
Cons
Little management support or help with increased work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 June 2016
Its been great experience working at State Farm insurance,higly organized and great management.We have team of 4 person and all are very friendly and helpful.
Pros
office environment
Cons
long drive
Decent earning opportunities, suffers from agency model, expect unpaid overtime
Agency Team Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2016
As a disclaimer, my experiences do not reflect all State Farm agencies, nor working directly for State Farm / Desjardins corporate.

State Farm functions under the agency model. As such, each agency is essentially an independent small business with the agent as the supreme hiring/firing authority, with vague oversight by the parent company. As such, your experience working for a State Farm agent will be directly related to that agent's policies and practices. My review here is based on the agencies I worked for.

If you are a strictly sales-minded individual, you will likely do well in this environment. As a result of the agency model, do not expect modern coaching methods that focus on employee development, working individually and as a group to set reasonable, achievable goals, or deal with feedback in a positive manner. The agents I worked for could best be described as a mix of absentee leadership with all-stick-no-carrot when it came to addressing issues in the office. Typically the only direct interaction with the agent was disciplinary in nature, and poorly administered. Without an HR department or higher authority to appeal to, or even modern leadership/coaching methods, this led a very negative experience that fostered resentment, hampered productivity, hurt office morale, and created a highly adversarial atmosphere. Recognition for good performance outside of strictly sales numbers (despite 50% or more of the workload being service related to retain clients) was non-existent.

Attempts to suggest improved business practices that would aid workflow,
  more... productivity, and/or morale, were typically disregarded or actively discouraged if they deviated in any way from existing practices. All responsibility for performance lumped on the employees, and leadership in the office exhibited limited to no ownership unless success was involved. Advancement in the industry under the agency model is also completely at the whim of your agent, unless you are willing to invest large amounts of unpaid personal time in self-study (typically ~20 hours per line of business, or 40 hours of study + exam fees per licence).

Bottom line, unless you get very lucky, expect a boss not a leader when working for a State Farm agent. Additionally, do not expect benefits as this varies by office.

Again this varies by agency, however, themes of: too much work for too few people, poor or antiquated business practices, resistance to positive change or modernization, and focusing on development of new staff over existing staff, remained consistent across my experiences. I cannot in good conscience recommend this environment to anyone unless you are the sales-focused type.
Pros
Varies by agency: paid vacation & paternity leave, occasional paid lunches/staff events
Cons
High-stress, all the negatives of small offices, benefits optional, advancement options may be limited by agent
Great working environment- family like everyone is there for you
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON28 April 2016
I learned there is always someone there to help you with any questions. Great working culture, great people working and managers
Pros
great career
excellent company
Multiple Lines Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  san Anselmo, ca25 April 2016
excellent company to work for. Gained valuable experience with numerous products to sell and excellent customer service skill acquired.
A good company undergoing growing pains
Policy Assembly (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CO15 November 2015
When I worked for State Farm, the company was in the middle of restructuring. Divisions were being downsized and consolidated, and everyone was struggling to readjust to the new workload.

Beyond that, it was a good experience. I learned a lot, and the atmosphere was supportive. I definitely enjoyed my time there. Pity my temporary assignment ended.
Pros
Encouraging atmosphere, good pay
Cons
Tumultuous workload
Unproductive place to work
office admin (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON4 November 2015
Always unable to catch up on work that was so far behind, ( 6 months)
Very sneaky, makes promises and never keeps them.

Owner makes it impossible to speak to manager as she keeps the manager in her office all day, then gets mad when the work load was unfinished...
Pros
Owner is rarely at work
Cons
When she is no work gets done
Great place to work with plenty of resources ans opportunity to grow
Workforce Management (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON21 September 2015
It wasn't just your typical 9-5 office job. Priding themselves on mentoring, diversity and inclusion, several internal committees, and employee incentives - they made a stressful insurance claims department fun to work in.
Pros
Internal cafe, Tim Horton's in the building, Flexible Schedule
Productive and Fun
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora15 September 2015
Great place to work. Co-workers are helpful and training was good. Flexible and understanding managers. Great pay, benefit package.
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2015
State Farm Insurance is an amazing place to work. I worked with the best people and they truly care about their staff. The best part of the job was the people I worked with external and internal.
Great workplace!
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga ON28 August 2015
Great workplace! You will learn so much on how to deal with clients.The people are fun to work with. You will learn how to organize yourself and multi task.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location