Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews in Canada

Great opportunities to advance.
Customer Service, Team Lead (Current Employee) –  St ThomasJanuary 9, 2014
Work with your team to help make your customs stay a memorable one.
Pros
the people
Cons
awful work hours.
Sheraton was home
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  KuwaitNovember 22, 2013
I always felt am at home with Sheraton hotel .
Sheraton Kuwait is so organized and it is so convenient to be a part of their family as you are someone precious.
many things I have learnt with Sheraton training courses as:
ASES and SGSS.
My Co-workers were like brothers and sisters, we were all one hand , fully team work
last moment order was the most challenge part for me at Sheraton Kuwait as I understand the management had to fulfill the guest expectations.
Employee recognitions system is one the best thing at Sheraton, you feel that your work is not ignored.
Pros
free breakfast lunch and dinner even on day off and free transportation and accomodation.
Cons
long working hours
sitting job for 8 hrs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONOctober 23, 2013
they don't give people enough time to prove themselves,
Benefits can be good if you last there
Great Team of Working Enviroment
Banquet House Person and Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 22, 2013
It depends on the department, this work place be a great place to work, nice people, friendly co-workers, but not so good management teams
Fun , Rewarding !
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St ThomasSeptember 14, 2013
Go to desk and take calls. Get lots of support from co workers and management. Your supervisor helps you ALL the time ! Its fun, upbeat and everyone is always so friendly.
There are tons of perks and rewards and incentives !
24/7/365 availability or else
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Westin EdmontonAugust 26, 2013
if you are not prepared to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days of year, then this is NOT the job for you. As a guest service representative or service express agent, this is what is required from the management. the new guest service manager is inflexible and has implemented new "no switching shifts" and "no honoring time off requests" rule. perhaps this has something to do with her recent affair with the Supervisor of Rooms? This hotel is rife with interoffice affairs and rewarding of sycophants. the co-workers are great, but as in all experiences in a corporate environment, they will stab you in the back in order to climb the corporate ladder. Unfortunate for such a good parent company. This particular franchise is one of the worst in the country, as can be viewed on TripAdvisor in comparing to the Westin Calgary, Westin Vancouer, etc.
Pros
travel discounts
Cons
overworked, poor management
Very busy yet satisfying job
French Sales & Key Accounts (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 14, 2013
My day usually started at 730 a.m with a great team meeting, followed by a really busy but productive day. I learned lots about customer service through my supervisors and team mates, spoke to people world wide, our manager was awesome, you could not ask for better team mates they became like my second family...the hardest part of my job was not being able to meet 100% of the customers needs or wants 100% of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was not only my co-workers but the customers were fun to work with and the incentives were awesome.
Pros
many free lunches from hotels, gifts and incentives as well as medical
Cons
no assigned seating
great to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJune 28, 2013
As long as you walk in with a smile you will leave with one ....
Job was enjoyable, hours were difficult
Customer Care Centre (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJune 5, 2013
Booking hotels and planning vacations was great fun and I loved when people got excited about their upcoming trips. There were some people who were not as pleasant, but we learned how to deal with that.

I enjoyed the job, found it somewhat challenging, which I loved. But having to bid on hours every few months was not pleasant.

Also, if you are married and your husband works Monday to Friday, leaving at 6:30 am and getting home at 8 pm with Saturday and Sunday off and you work 3pm to 1 am with Wednesday and Thursday off, you only have about 6 hours a week to see your spouse.

I personally found this very difficult which is why I left after 6 months.
Pros
getting discounts at amazing hotels and being able to earn star points
Cons
the shifts
Fun work place
Guest Service Agent Westin Harbour Castle (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 20, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is fun

The Culture / Values are good
Pros
life balance
Cons
job security
You have to love what you do
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONFebruary 27, 2013
I work in a customer service field, so I have gain knowledge and different skills to get along and deal with customers. Being opened minded and understanding will definitely open doors for you.
Love the Responsibility and the people
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
A typical day at work would be different from shift to shift.
When I am opening Shift I am responsible to assign all Rooms to be cleaned for that day to our Room attendant , print/run reports, hold pre-shift meeting, communicate important messages from front Desk to Room Attendant, answer the phone in the office.
My Day shift would start with running VIP reports, inspecting Rooms for cleanliness and defects and reporting those, follow up with Guests and if needed follow up with Room attendants , disciplinary conversations and paperwork, ensuring Rooms in my assigned area are cleaned. For the closing shift i will have to assign Rooms to Room attendants, Guest follow up, ensuring all rooms needed will be cleaned, ensuring Public Area is clean, run all reports from the day, answering the phone and holding pre - shift meeting.
The most important part I have learned during my job is to listen to other people so I be able to understand them and their situation better. I have gained more confidence speaking in front of people.
My Coworkers are from all over the world, which makes this job so special. People from all different cultures becoming one big team/family.
The hardest part of my job I would not know what its is, because I love what I do in any aspect.
Pros
getting my birthday off and paid for it.
High performance work place with good work/life balance
Director Global E-Customer Care (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONDecember 21, 2012
Performance-oriented, constant improvement, metrics-based organization that values relationships and work/life balance.
Downhill spiral continues, sad to see
mid management (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 9, 2012
Starwood has always taught their employees to " Do the right thing" Unfortunately they do not practice this themselves. They can treat employees unfairly, especially those that are long term. They either fire them or the employees ends up quitting. The hotel reviews on Trip Advisor is a tell all as to how the hotel suufers when they have some incompetent management at the helm. Too bad their bosses don't see this and investigate or maybe they do and just don't care.
Pros
travel benefits/discounts
Cons
everything but the above
Terrible management, no compassion for employees
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St.thomas, OntarioOctober 3, 2012
Calls all day long, no break between....if you don't hit your quota in three months your are fired.... They don't help you. The quota is very high. Certain percentage of your calls have to be turned into sales DAILY!!! Very difficult, a lot of little games and no one listens to the employees. Yearly survey for the entire centre... St.thomas never does well but the people stay because its a job and they feel intimidated.
Pros
can't think if any
Cons
working there.... just don't do it!
Good place to work, just not for me
Reservations and Member Services (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONSeptember 13, 2012
I enjoyed working here, although it is a high pressure job. Great if you are strong in sales. Not great if you want a flexible schedule.
Pros
free food, benefits at part time hours, lots of company contests and incentives.
Cons
high pressure, mandatory overtime, inflexible scheduling.
Great fun place to work
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJuly 8, 2012
get to work with multipul people daily, and show my leadership skills
Pros
benifits, advancment