Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews in Canada

Friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONMarch 14, 2016
A typical day at work involves logging into a computer and taking around 50 calls a day and making reservations. I find that I learned many ways to help keep customer/guest information private that I hadn't considered. This job also helped me to ensure confidentiality, how to avoid offending people (without realizing) and new ways to explain things to people.
The hardest part about my job has been working in a job that doesn't involve working with people in person. Even though I speak with 50+ people during my shift, I don't have many opportunities to see that customer or other employees because I work at a computer. The best job has been the people that I meet over the phone. I really love working with so many people, meeting new people and the conversations have been really enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunches and fruit
Cons
Sitting in an office with not many windows
great comapny to work for
Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Great company to work for, lots of room to grow with the organization. Good management they understand work life balance
all about the
CSR (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONMay 18, 2016
Get to work and find a desk if you can. Then log in and get on the head set. Go on break/lunch and then back on phone. Make sure your are not to long on one call and that you are hitting your targets. Only learned that the guest does not matter and the booking does. Most enjoyable part of the job was break/lunch and going home. Loved working with the people at Starwood St. Thomas, just not the atmoshere and the constant push to either met targets or lose your job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not very guest orientated
N/a
MANAGER NEW BUILDS & TRANSITIONS OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
Nothing to say.
Good for growth but work life balance is not good. Travelling was too much for me to handle. Can't say anymore.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Work life balance
Many opportunties to grow and evolve
International Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJuly 12, 2016
I have held different positions with Starwood; I loved them all. There is always room for growing; effort is appreciated.
Pros
Great company to work at
Cons
Some department are highly demanding in terms of scheduling
Starwood- & what to expect.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJuly 6, 2015
You will begin by 3 week in class schedule which you will be paid for unless you are absent. You must pass the final exam in order to graduate to a sales associate

*They will continue to keep and guide you the beginning weeks to come. Everyone is really friendly.Also as soon as you begin training at Starwood hotels and resorts you can get 50% off all hotels and resort discount to all associates & their family. Also able to give a friends discount as well, however it is not 50%, more 35%.

The pay isn't great but there is PFP ( pay for performance)
example: The more effort you put in , potentially the more money you can make.

Benefits (80% coverage) after your 3 month term.

Also lots of different areas to work and advance if you wish, they even pay for your schooling if you go into hotel managment.
Pros
Benefits- Medical and Hotel Deals
Cons
Not always an ideal shift, not a large salary.
Great Environment but no Advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 11, 2015
• Provided quality service to customers inquiries, while building great rapport
• Listened attentively to customers problems, and solved them efficiently and effectively
• Communicated effectively with customers and management from diverse backgrounds
• Achieved and excelled in sales and customer satisfaction
Downhill spiral continues, sad to see
mid management (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 9, 2012
Starwood has always taught their employees to " Do the right thing" Unfortunately they do not practice this themselves. They can treat employees unfairly, especially those that are long term. They either fire them or the employees ends up quitting. The hotel reviews on Trip Advisor is a tell all as to how the hotel suufers when they have some incompetent management at the helm. Too bad their bosses don't see this and investigate or maybe they do and just don't care.
Pros
travel benefits/discounts
Cons
everything but the above
Starwood Hotels Contact Center
Customer Reservations Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. ThomasNovember 21, 2014
My day started at 8am until 5pm, we had a sales goal to reach every day and if we didn't reach it we received coaching. The hardest part of the job for me personally was sitting down for eight hours a day, but even that isn't difficult, I was over all very happy with the work I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, everyone always had stories to tell and I made friends quickly.
Pros
good benefits, massages, dental, life insurance
Cons
repetitive
24/7/365 availability or else
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Westin EdmontonAugust 26, 2013
if you are not prepared to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days of year, then this is NOT the job for you. As a guest service representative or service express agent, this is what is required from the management. the new guest service manager is inflexible and has implemented new "no switching shifts" and "no honoring time off requests" rule. perhaps this has something to do with her recent affair with the Supervisor of Rooms? This hotel is rife with interoffice affairs and rewarding of sycophants. the co-workers are great, but as in all experiences in a corporate environment, they will stab you in the back in order to climb the corporate ladder. Unfortunate for such a good parent company. This particular franchise is one of the worst in the country, as can be viewed on TripAdvisor in comparing to the Westin Calgary, Westin Vancouer, etc.
Pros
travel discounts
Cons
overworked, poor management
Sheraton was home
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  KuwaitNovember 22, 2013
I always felt am at home with Sheraton hotel .
Sheraton Kuwait is so organized and it is so convenient to be a part of their family as you are someone precious.
many things I have learnt with Sheraton training courses as:
ASES and SGSS.
My Co-workers were like brothers and sisters, we were all one hand , fully team work
last moment order was the most challenge part for me at Sheraton Kuwait as I understand the management had to fulfill the guest expectations.
Employee recognitions system is one the best thing at Sheraton, you feel that your work is not ignored.
Pros
free breakfast lunch and dinner even on day off and free transportation and accomodation.
Cons
long working hours
Call center assiociate
Call Associate/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas ONMay 7, 2015
I would sit at a desk for my whole shitf answering a phone and with the customer on the other end, I would help them to book a vaction/trip using out starwood brand hotels. I was promoted so that I would have people calling that were our elite members. they promoted people to this that had good numbers and great customer service so that way their returning guest will talk to someone that pesonally deals with their travels. It was very diffecult for me to just sit at a desk all day every day, I never felt active enough.
Pros
alot of prizes to be won for making sales
Cons
Sitting at a desk all day
Fun work place
Guest Service Agent Westin Harbour Castle (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 20, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is fun

The Culture / Values are good
Pros
life balance
Cons
job security
Terrible management, no compassion for employees
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St.thomas, OntarioOctober 3, 2012
Calls all day long, no break between....if you don't hit your quota in three months your are fired.... They don't help you. The quota is very high. Certain percentage of your calls have to be turned into sales DAILY!!! Very difficult, a lot of little games and no one listens to the employees. Yearly survey for the entire centre... St.thomas never does well but the people stay because its a job and they feel intimidated.
Pros
can't think if any
Cons
working there.... just don't do it!
Productive Fun workplace
Sales Coordinator - Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 20, 2014
Excellent Service culture. focus on development and internal growth.
Very busy yet satisfying job
French Sales & Key Accounts (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 14, 2013
My day usually started at 730 a.m with a great team meeting, followed by a really busy but productive day. I learned lots about customer service through my supervisors and team mates, spoke to people world wide, our manager was awesome, you could not ask for better team mates they became like my second family...the hardest part of my job was not being able to meet 100% of the customers needs or wants 100% of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was not only my co-workers but the customers were fun to work with and the incentives were awesome.
Pros
many free lunches from hotels, gifts and incentives as well as medical
Cons
no assigned seating
Love the Responsibility and the people
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2013
A typical day at work would be different from shift to shift.
When I am opening Shift I am responsible to assign all Rooms to be cleaned for that day to our Room attendant , print/run reports, hold pre-shift meeting, communicate important messages from front Desk to Room Attendant, answer the phone in the office.
My Day shift would start with running VIP reports, inspecting Rooms for cleanliness and defects and reporting those, follow up with Guests and if needed follow up with Room attendants , disciplinary conversations and paperwork, ensuring Rooms in my assigned area are cleaned. For the closing shift i will have to assign Rooms to Room attendants, Guest follow up, ensuring all rooms needed will be cleaned, ensuring Public Area is clean, run all reports from the day, answering the phone and holding pre - shift meeting.
The most important part I have learned during my job is to listen to other people so I be able to understand them and their situation better. I have gained more confidence speaking in front of people.
My Coworkers are from all over the world, which makes this job so special. People from all different cultures becoming one big team/family.
The hardest part of my job I would not know what its is, because I love what I do in any aspect.
Pros
getting my birthday off and paid for it.
Fun , Rewarding !
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St ThomasSeptember 14, 2013
Go to desk and take calls. Get lots of support from co workers and management. Your supervisor helps you ALL the time ! Its fun, upbeat and everyone is always so friendly.
There are tons of perks and rewards and incentives !
Good place to work, just not for me
Reservations and Member Services (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONSeptember 13, 2012
I enjoyed working here, although it is a high pressure job. Great if you are strong in sales. Not great if you want a flexible schedule.
Pros
free food, benefits at part time hours, lots of company contests and incentives.
Cons
high pressure, mandatory overtime, inflexible scheduling.
Job was enjoyable, hours were difficult
Customer Care Centre (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJune 5, 2013
Booking hotels and planning vacations was great fun and I loved when people got excited about their upcoming trips. There were some people who were not as pleasant, but we learned how to deal with that.

I enjoyed the job, found it somewhat challenging, which I loved. But having to bid on hours every few months was not pleasant.

Also, if you are married and your husband works Monday to Friday, leaving at 6:30 am and getting home at 8 pm with Saturday and Sunday off and you work 3pm to 1 am with Wednesday and Thursday off, you only have about 6 hours a week to see your spouse.

I personally found this very difficult which is why I left after 6 months.
Pros
getting discounts at amazing hotels and being able to earn star points
Cons
the shifts