Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews

good environment
Reservations agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON9 October 2017
good overall, good staff, good environment. my time there was good if i did not need a higher paying job i would have stayed there. the hardest part of the job was geting your stats where they needed to be
exciting new and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON3 August 2017
Starwood was a great place to work as well, my coworkers were very friendly and a lot of us became friends. Starwood always had some new and fun surprise for there staff be it in the form of contest or visitors
Great Place
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON27 July 2017
It's a good place to work, however there is an extreme amount of pressure and stress there. The hours are guaranteed 40 hours a week and the benefits are great.
Pros
Benefits, Wage, Solid Hours
Cons
Stressful Environment
Good benefits but little advancement
Reservations Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 July 2017
There are good and bad factors for this job. While they have paid training with guaranteed full time hours and the opportunity for overtime, there is also much less opportunity for advancement than they make it seem. There is flexibility in scheduling as well which is nice, with the possibility for day or evening shifts, and the chance to take unpaid time off without using sick or vacation days. The job itself is fairly monotonous, and dealing with customers all day can be a little exhausting, especially if you get a lot of angry guests in a day.
Pros
Overtime opportunity, benefits
Cons
Advancement is very slow, monotonous tasks
flexible and stimulating work envirnonemt
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 June 2017
a flexible work place for anyone, flexible work hours. A great place to build on customer service skills and take control of your own growth and learn to work independently.
hard work
Sales (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON17 May 2017
Starwood was a good place to work at first but then I could not keep up with the demands that they told us we had to do. A typical day was usually very stressful with all the guests calling in and trying to make sure everything is right on their reservation, But we usually got maybe a 1 minute between calls. The most enjoyable part was either the listening to other peoples calls or doing hot topics.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
answering the phones
This is a great company to work for, for an enrty level psotion into customer service
Training Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON15 May 2017
I have enjoyed my time with this company. The opportunity for advancement has significantly changed and I feel they are not showing very much loyalty to their employees. Therefore it is time for a change
Great work/life balance
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK27 April 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with Starwood - sad to see if come to an end as Marriott takes over and makes many changes. Starwood's management team was always supportive.
Fun and Educational
Platinum Concierge (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2017
Very positive environment. Interesting opportunity to book holidays. Also business trips for travelers. I found it very interesting to learn not only about the Hotel Industry. Also to learn about different cities and what they're famous for.
Nepotisium at its finest
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 March 2017
Promotions were given out based on who people were related to not based on effort and skill. Shift availability was poor and those with out children were not allowed to work the day shift.
Fast paced call centre
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 March 2017
Very fast paced call centre with very little down time if any between calls. Bonus incentives and team incentives. Very competitive. When targets are hit, able to advance to next department but can take a few months for that to happen after you have reached the goal
Terrible
customer service agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON15 March 2017
5 years and it was all terrible. Sales expectations are stressful , Ended up taking a leave of absence. You will be let go if you dont meet their crazy standards
Steady calls with great coworkers and callers.
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 March 2017
When I would arrive for my shifts at Starwood, I would log into a computer at one of the desks, and begin taking calls, for the most part, from people who wanted to book, cancel or change a hotel reservation. Working at Starwood, gave me confidence in my vocational abilities. It helped me with compassion. It gave me the chance to help people, and it helped me build my abilities when it came to prioritizing, teamwork, and efficiency. The management were kind and fair. Other employees, were friendly, professional and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be when I might occasionally get a caller that just could not be nice, no matter how nice I tried to seem and sound to them. But, with these callers, keeping a professional tone, and helping them with what they wanted as efficiently as I could, seemed to help the calls end smoothly. The best part of the job was when I sensed a good rapport with the callers; where they seemed to quickly pick up on my sincere tone, and how much I would be able to help them.
n/a
corporate services (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 February 2017
n/a- I choose not to take the time to fill this part of the survey out. there is no other way to get past this except to enter a description.
was there very long
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 January 2017
I started and had to have surgery so I was there very long

I learned a lot about hotels and resorts and good places to stay and how to so the extra mile to make a customer happy
At home agent with lots of Customer experience.
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 January 2017
A typical day at work is to book hotel reservations, deal with customer complaints and overcome objectives.

I learned many different things from fast paced environments, to engaging teamwork and customer satisfaction!

My management was very team oriented, and VERY flexible. If I ever had a concern, it was dealt with right away.

The hardest part of the job was getting used to different levels in the company. For example, we start off in basic reservations; once we have met all of our numbers, calls taken etc, we get bumped to our Loyalty Program, and have to learn a variety of different calls/ skills.

It's about a 4 week information session, online/verbal that is a lot to take in.
Pros
Always willing to meet you halway
Cons
N/a
Fair place to work
Reservations Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON27 December 2016
I Enjoyed working here because of the challenge to make a sale. My supervisor was Fantastic, to the point we are still in contact. overall fair job with amazing perks.
Productive and Interesting Workplace that gets a bad Reputation
ESERVICE TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 October 2016
Starwood (and now Marriott International) is a great office and a good place to work. Competitive pay, outstanding benefits.
Its like all corporations
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  stamford, ct26 September 2016
Starwood no longer exists it is now Marriott so job security is nil. The typical work day is spent on calls and answering emails. Management are out to get ahead and very rarely provide advancement or give credit where credit is deserved.
Many opportunties to grow and evolve
International Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON12 July 2016
I have held different positions with Starwood; I loved them all. There is always room for growing; effort is appreciated.
Pros
Great company to work at
Cons
Some department are highly demanding in terms of scheduling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starwood Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.