Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews

Productive and Interesting Workplace that gets a bad Reputation
ESERVICE TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 October 2016
Starwood (and now Marriott International) is a great office and a good place to work. Competitive pay, outstanding benefits.
Steady calls with great coworkers and callers.
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 March 2017
When I would arrive for my shifts at Starwood, I would log into a computer at one of the desks, and begin taking calls, for the most part, from people who wanted to book, cancel or change a hotel reservation. Working at Starwood, gave me confidence in my vocational abilities. It helped me with compassion. It gave me the chance to help people, and it helped me build my abilities when it came to prioritizing, teamwork, and efficiency. The management were kind and fair. Other employees, were friendly, professional and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be when I might occasionally get a caller that just could not be nice, no matter how nice I tried to seem and sound to them. But, with these callers, keeping a professional tone, and helping them with what they wanted as efficiently as I could, seemed to help the calls end smoothly. The best part of the job was when I sensed a good rapport with the callers; where they seemed to quickly pick up on my sincere tone, and how much I would be able to help them.
Nepotisium at its finest
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 March 2017
Promotions were given out based on who people were related to not based on effort and skill. Shift availability was poor and those with out children were not allowed to work the day shift.
Its like all corporations
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  stamford, ct26 September 2016
Starwood no longer exists it is now Marriott so job security is nil. The typical work day is spent on calls and answering emails. Management are out to get ahead and very rarely provide advancement or give credit where credit is deserved.
Fast paced call centre
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 March 2017
Very fast paced call centre with very little down time if any between calls. Bonus incentives and team incentives. Very competitive. When targets are hit, able to advance to next department but can take a few months for that to happen after you have reached the goal
was there very long
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 January 2017
I started and had to have surgery so I was there very long

I learned a lot about hotels and resorts and good places to stay and how to so the extra mile to make a customer happy
Terrible
customer service agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON15 March 2017
5 years and it was all terrible. Sales expectations are stressful , Ended up taking a leave of absence. You will be let go if you dont meet their crazy standards
n/a
corporate services (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 February 2017
n/a- I choose not to take the time to fill this part of the survey out. there is no other way to get past this except to enter a description.
Fair place to work
Reservations Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON27 December 2016
I Enjoyed working here because of the challenge to make a sale. My supervisor was Fantastic, to the point we are still in contact. overall fair job with amazing perks.
Starwood- & what to expect.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 July 2015
You will begin by 3 week in class schedule which you will be paid for unless you are absent. You must pass the final exam in order to graduate to a sales associate

*They will continue to keep and guide you the beginning weeks to come. Everyone is really friendly.Also as soon as you begin training at Starwood hotels and resorts you can get 50% off all hotels and resort discount to all associates & their family. Also able to give a friends discount as well, however it is not 50%, more 35%.

The pay isn't great but there is PFP ( pay for performance)
example: The more effort you put in , potentially the more money you can make.

Benefits (80% coverage) after your 3 month term.

Also lots of different areas to work and advance if you wish, they even pay for your schooling if you go into hotel managment.
Pros
Benefits- Medical and Hotel Deals
Cons
Not always an ideal shift, not a large salary.
Downhill spiral continues, sad to see
mid management (Former Employee) –  Canada9 December 2012
Starwood has always taught their employees to " Do the right thing" Unfortunately they do not practice this themselves. They can treat employees unfairly, especially those that are long term. They either fire them or the employees ends up quitting. The hotel reviews on Trip Advisor is a tell all as to how the hotel suufers when they have some incompetent management at the helm. Too bad their bosses don't see this and investigate or maybe they do and just don't care.
Pros
travel benefits/discounts
Cons
everything but the above
Starwood Hotels Contact Center
Customer Reservations Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas21 November 2014
My day started at 8am until 5pm, we had a sales goal to reach every day and if we didn't reach it we received coaching. The hardest part of the job for me personally was sitting down for eight hours a day, but even that isn't difficult, I was over all very happy with the work I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, everyone always had stories to tell and I made friends quickly.
Pros
Good benefits, Massages, Dental, Life insurance
Cons
Repetitive
Many opportunties to grow and evolve
International Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON12 July 2016
I have held different positions with Starwood; I loved them all. There is always room for growing; effort is appreciated.
Pros
Great company to work at
Cons
Some department are highly demanding in terms of scheduling
all about the
CSR (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON18 May 2016
Get to work and find a desk if you can. Then log in and get on the head set. Go on break/lunch and then back on phone. Make sure your are not to long on one call and that you are hitting your targets. Only learned that the guest does not matter and the booking does. Most enjoyable part of the job was break/lunch and going home. Loved working with the people at Starwood St. Thomas, just not the atmoshere and the constant push to either met targets or lose your job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not very guest orientated
Friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON14 March 2016
A typical day at work involves logging into a computer and taking around 50 calls a day and making reservations. I find that I learned many ways to help keep customer/guest information private that I hadn't considered. This job also helped me to ensure confidentiality, how to avoid offending people (without realizing) and new ways to explain things to people.
The hardest part about my job has been working in a job that doesn't involve working with people in person. Even though I speak with 50+ people during my shift, I don't have many opportunities to see that customer or other employees because I work at a computer. The best job has been the people that I meet over the phone. I really love working with so many people, meeting new people and the conversations have been really enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunches and fruit
Cons
Sitting in an office with not many windows
Good place to work, just not for me
Reservations and Member Services (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 September 2012
I enjoyed working here, although it is a high pressure job. Great if you are strong in sales. Not great if you want a flexible schedule.
Pros
free food, benefits at part time hours, lots of company contests and incentives.
Cons
high pressure, mandatory overtime, inflexible scheduling.
N/a
MANAGER NEW BUILDS & TRANSITIONS OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2016
Nothing to say.
Good for growth but work life balance is not good. Travelling was too much for me to handle. Can't say anymore.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Work life balance
best call center, easy money,
Platinum Dedicated Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON25 April 2014
stressfull calls, lots of things to win, good company, good benefits, not bad.
Pros
contest and free lunches alot
Cons
it can be very stressfull
Great fun place to work
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON8 July 2012
get to work with multipul people daily, and show my leadership skills
Pros
benifits, advancment
sitting job for 8 hrs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 October 2013
they don't give people enough time to prove themselves,
Benefits can be good if you last there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starwood Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.