Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews

Productive and Interesting Workplace that gets a bad Reputation
ESERVICE TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 October 2016
Starwood (and now Marriott International) is a great office and a good place to work. Competitive pay, outstanding benefits.
Its like all corporations
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  stamford, ct26 September 2016
Starwood no longer exists it is now Marriott so job security is nil. The typical work day is spent on calls and answering emails. Management are out to get ahead and very rarely provide advancement or give credit where credit is deserved.
Many opportunties to grow and evolve
International Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON12 July 2016
I have held different positions with Starwood; I loved them all. There is always room for growing; effort is appreciated.
Pros
Great company to work at
Cons
Some department are highly demanding in terms of scheduling
all about the
CSR (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON18 May 2016
Get to work and find a desk if you can. Then log in and get on the head set. Go on break/lunch and then back on phone. Make sure your are not to long on one call and that you are hitting your targets. Only learned that the guest does not matter and the booking does. Most enjoyable part of the job was break/lunch and going home. Loved working with the people at Starwood St. Thomas, just not the atmoshere and the constant push to either met targets or lose your job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not very guest orientated
Friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON14 March 2016
A typical day at work involves logging into a computer and taking around 50 calls a day and making reservations. I find that I learned many ways to help keep customer/guest information private that I hadn't considered. This job also helped me to ensure confidentiality, how to avoid offending people (without realizing) and new ways to explain things to people.
The hardest part about my job has been working in a job that doesn't involve working with people in person. Even though I speak with 50+ people during my shift, I don't have many opportunities to see that customer or other employees because I work at a computer. The best job has been the people that I meet over the phone. I really love working with so many people, meeting new people and the conversations have been really enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunches and fruit
Cons
Sitting in an office with not many windows
N/a
MANAGER NEW BUILDS & TRANSITIONS OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2016
Nothing to say.
Good for growth but work life balance is not good. Travelling was too much for me to handle. Can't say anymore.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Work life balance
great comapny to work for
Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2015
Great company to work for, lots of room to grow with the organization. Good management they understand work life balance
Great Environment but no Advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON11 August 2015
• Provided quality service to customers inquiries, while building great rapport
• Listened attentively to customers problems, and solved them efficiently and effectively
• Communicated effectively with customers and management from diverse backgrounds
• Achieved and excelled in sales and customer satisfaction
Starwood- & what to expect.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 July 2015
You will begin by 3 week in class schedule which you will be paid for unless you are absent. You must pass the final exam in order to graduate to a sales associate

*They will continue to keep and guide you the beginning weeks to come. Everyone is really friendly.Also as soon as you begin training at Starwood hotels and resorts you can get 50% off all hotels and resort discount to all associates & their family. Also able to give a friends discount as well, however it is not 50%, more 35%.

The pay isn't great but there is PFP ( pay for performance)
example: The more effort you put in , potentially the more money you can make.

Benefits (80% coverage) after your 3 month term.

Also lots of different areas to work and advance if you wish, they even pay for your schooling if you go into hotel managment.
Pros
Benefits- Medical and Hotel Deals
Cons
Not always an ideal shift, not a large salary.
Call center assiociate
Call Associate/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas ON7 May 2015
I would sit at a desk for my whole shitf answering a phone and with the customer on the other end, I would help them to book a vaction/trip using out starwood brand hotels. I was promoted so that I would have people calling that were our elite members. they promoted people to this that had good numbers and great customer service so that way their returning guest will talk to someone that pesonally deals with their travels. It was very diffecult for me to just sit at a desk all day every day, I never felt active enough.
Pros
alot of prizes to be won for making sales
Cons
Sitting at a desk all day
good
Corporate Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 January 2015
great opportunities, learning skills opportunities, great peopl
Typical call center
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON22 December 2014
7 minutes of phone plus breaks
on average 70 calls in 8 hour shift
min wage
stressful
Pros
found my girlfriend there
Cons
have to talk for 8 hours a day 5 days a week over the phone sharing at a pc
Starwood Hotels Contact Center
Customer Reservations Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas21 November 2014
My day started at 8am until 5pm, we had a sales goal to reach every day and if we didn't reach it we received coaching. The hardest part of the job for me personally was sitting down for eight hours a day, but even that isn't difficult, I was over all very happy with the work I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, everyone always had stories to tell and I made friends quickly.
Pros
Good benefits, Massages, Dental, Life insurance
Cons
Repetitive
Fast Paced working environment
CORPORATE CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON23 October 2014
Working for Starwood taught me a lot with programs and computers, and to exceed with Customers. The working environment was laid back and had multiple opportunity to succeed. They taught me to work in a high level working environment.
Pros
Employee recognition, ability to progress
Cons
Not enough training
Call centre position: good to develop communication skills
General Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON10 September 2014
A General Reservations Agent is to answer inbound calls and assist customers looking to make or change a reservation. The job was target oriented, and as a part of the job a GRA must try to get every booking possible. I found the most difficult part of the job to be trying to sell a booking to a customer who was clearly uninterested in one.
Monthly bonuses are given to workers who meet or exceed their targets.
Pros
Further develops workers verbal communication skills
Cons
Target oriented: workers would be rewarded for doing their job incorrectly, even if the client was unhappy
Loved this job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas28 July 2014
I loved working for Starwood. It is a great company who cares for their employees.
busy high paced enviornment
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2014
busy high paced environment. answering house calls, prompt response time is crucial.
Productive Fun workplace
Sales Coordinator - Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2014
Excellent Service culture. focus on development and internal growth.
cheat and lie, be a cars salesmen
Reservation Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas Ontario17 May 2014
Worst job ever! I hated my life! Customer service was not the key! The key was to lie to the guest on the phone about availabily, almost being sold out, that they were talking to the hotel even though they were not. And also on top of that you had to transfer people a lot because you couldn't help them with a simple issue. Transferring makes the customer even more upset.
Pros
free things, cheep hotels
Cons
hours sucked, supervisor didnt care about you, all about sales, based on luck to get sales.
Keeping the customers happy
Customer Service/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON28 April 2014
I learned how to keep the customers coming back to the store.

Starwood Hotels Reviews by Location