Starwood Hotels Employee Reviews in Canada

all about the
CSR (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONMay 18, 2016
Get to work and find a desk if you can. Then log in and get on the head set. Go on break/lunch and then back on phone. Make sure your are not to long on one call and that you are hitting your targets. Only learned that the guest does not matter and the booking does. Most enjoyable part of the job was break/lunch and going home. Loved working with the people at Starwood St. Thomas, just not the atmoshere and the constant push to either met targets or lose your job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not very guest orientated
Many opportunties to grow and evolve
International Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJuly 12, 2016
I have held different positions with Starwood; I loved them all. There is always room for growing; effort is appreciated.
Pros
Great company to work at
Cons
Some department are highly demanding in terms of scheduling
N/a
MANAGER NEW BUILDS & TRANSITIONS OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
Nothing to say.
Good for growth but work life balance is not good. Travelling was too much for me to handle. Can't say anymore.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Work life balance
Great Environment but no Advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 11, 2015
• Provided quality service to customers inquiries, while building great rapport
• Listened attentively to customers problems, and solved them efficiently and effectively
• Communicated effectively with customers and management from diverse backgrounds
• Achieved and excelled in sales and customer satisfaction
great comapny to work for
Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Great company to work for, lots of room to grow with the organization. Good management they understand work life balance
Starwood- & what to expect.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJuly 6, 2015
You will begin by 3 week in class schedule which you will be paid for unless you are absent. You must pass the final exam in order to graduate to a sales associate

*They will continue to keep and guide you the beginning weeks to come. Everyone is really friendly.Also as soon as you begin training at Starwood hotels and resorts you can get 50% off all hotels and resort discount to all associates & their family. Also able to give a friends discount as well, however it is not 50%, more 35%.

The pay isn't great but there is PFP ( pay for performance)
example: The more effort you put in , potentially the more money you can make.

Benefits (80% coverage) after your 3 month term.

Also lots of different areas to work and advance if you wish, they even pay for your schooling if you go into hotel managment.
Pros
Benefits- Medical and Hotel Deals
Cons
Not always an ideal shift, not a large salary.
Call center assiociate
Call Associate/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas ONMay 7, 2015
I would sit at a desk for my whole shitf answering a phone and with the customer on the other end, I would help them to book a vaction/trip using out starwood brand hotels. I was promoted so that I would have people calling that were our elite members. they promoted people to this that had good numbers and great customer service so that way their returning guest will talk to someone that pesonally deals with their travels. It was very diffecult for me to just sit at a desk all day every day, I never felt active enough.
Pros
alot of prizes to be won for making sales
Cons
Sitting at a desk all day
Starwood Hotels Contact Center
Customer Reservations Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. ThomasNovember 21, 2014
My day started at 8am until 5pm, we had a sales goal to reach every day and if we didn't reach it we received coaching. The hardest part of the job for me personally was sitting down for eight hours a day, but even that isn't difficult, I was over all very happy with the work I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, everyone always had stories to tell and I made friends quickly.
Pros
good benefits, massages, dental, life insurance
Cons
repetitive
Call centre position: good to develop communication skills
General Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONSeptember 10, 2014
A General Reservations Agent is to answer inbound calls and assist customers looking to make or change a reservation. The job was target oriented, and as a part of the job a GRA must try to get every booking possible. I found the most difficult part of the job to be trying to sell a booking to a customer who was clearly uninterested in one.
Monthly bonuses are given to workers who meet or exceed their targets.
Pros
further develops workers verbal communication skills
Cons
target oriented: workers would be rewarded for doing their job incorrectly, even if the client was unhappy
cheat and lie, be a cars salesmen
Reservation Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas OntarioMay 17, 2014
Worst job ever! I hated my life! Customer service was not the key! The key was to lie to the guest on the phone about availabily, almost being sold out, that they were talking to the hotel even though they were not. And also on top of that you had to transfer people a lot because you couldn't help them with a simple issue. Transferring makes the customer even more upset.
Pros
free things, cheep hotels
Cons
hours sucked, supervisor didnt care about you, all about sales, based on luck to get sales.
Fast Paced working environment
CORPORATE CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONOctober 23, 2014
Working for Starwood taught me a lot with programs and computers, and to exceed with Customers. The working environment was laid back and had multiple opportunity to succeed. They taught me to work in a high level working environment.
Pros
employee recognition, ability to progress
Cons
not enough training
Sheraton was home
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  KuwaitNovember 22, 2013
I always felt am at home with Sheraton hotel .
Sheraton Kuwait is so organized and it is so convenient to be a part of their family as you are someone precious.
many things I have learnt with Sheraton training courses as:
ASES and SGSS.
My Co-workers were like brothers and sisters, we were all one hand , fully team work
last moment order was the most challenge part for me at Sheraton Kuwait as I understand the management had to fulfill the guest expectations.
Employee recognitions system is one the best thing at Sheraton, you feel that your work is not ignored.
Pros
free breakfast lunch and dinner even on day off and free transportation and accomodation.
Cons
long working hours
Very busy yet satisfying job
French Sales & Key Accounts (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONAugust 14, 2013
My day usually started at 730 a.m with a great team meeting, followed by a really busy but productive day. I learned lots about customer service through my supervisors and team mates, spoke to people world wide, our manager was awesome, you could not ask for better team mates they became like my second family...the hardest part of my job was not being able to meet 100% of the customers needs or wants 100% of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was not only my co-workers but the customers were fun to work with and the incentives were awesome.
Pros
many free lunches from hotels, gifts and incentives as well as medical
Cons
no assigned seating
Downhill spiral continues, sad to see
mid management (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 9, 2012
Starwood has always taught their employees to " Do the right thing" Unfortunately they do not practice this themselves. They can treat employees unfairly, especially those that are long term. They either fire them or the employees ends up quitting. The hotel reviews on Trip Advisor is a tell all as to how the hotel suufers when they have some incompetent management at the helm. Too bad their bosses don't see this and investigate or maybe they do and just don't care.
Pros
travel benefits/discounts
Cons
everything but the above
Terrible management, no compassion for employees
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St.thomas, OntarioOctober 3, 2012
Calls all day long, no break between....if you don't hit your quota in three months your are fired.... They don't help you. The quota is very high. Certain percentage of your calls have to be turned into sales DAILY!!! Very difficult, a lot of little games and no one listens to the employees. Yearly survey for the entire centre... St.thomas never does well but the people stay because its a job and they feel intimidated.
Pros
can't think if any
Cons
working there.... just don't do it!
Job was enjoyable, hours were difficult
Customer Care Centre (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJune 5, 2013
Booking hotels and planning vacations was great fun and I loved when people got excited about their upcoming trips. There were some people who were not as pleasant, but we learned how to deal with that.

I enjoyed the job, found it somewhat challenging, which I loved. But having to bid on hours every few months was not pleasant.

Also, if you are married and your husband works Monday to Friday, leaving at 6:30 am and getting home at 8 pm with Saturday and Sunday off and you work 3pm to 1 am with Wednesday and Thursday off, you only have about 6 hours a week to see your spouse.

I personally found this very difficult which is why I left after 6 months.
Pros
getting discounts at amazing hotels and being able to earn star points
Cons
the shifts
Good place to work, just not for me
Reservations and Member Services (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONSeptember 13, 2012
I enjoyed working here, although it is a high pressure job. Great if you are strong in sales. Not great if you want a flexible schedule.
Pros
free food, benefits at part time hours, lots of company contests and incentives.
Cons
high pressure, mandatory overtime, inflexible scheduling.
Typical call center
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONDecember 22, 2014
7 minutes of phone plus breaks
on average 70 calls in 8 hour shift
min wage
stressful
Pros
found my girlfriend there
Cons
have to talk for 8 hours a day 5 days a week over the phone sharing at a pc
24/7/365 availability or else
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Westin EdmontonAugust 26, 2013
if you are not prepared to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days of year, then this is NOT the job for you. As a guest service representative or service express agent, this is what is required from the management. the new guest service manager is inflexible and has implemented new "no switching shifts" and "no honoring time off requests" rule. perhaps this has something to do with her recent affair with the Supervisor of Rooms? This hotel is rife with interoffice affairs and rewarding of sycophants. the co-workers are great, but as in all experiences in a corporate environment, they will stab you in the back in order to climb the corporate ladder. Unfortunate for such a good parent company. This particular franchise is one of the worst in the country, as can be viewed on TripAdvisor in comparing to the Westin Calgary, Westin Vancouer, etc.
Pros
travel discounts
Cons
overworked, poor management
Fun , Rewarding !
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  St ThomasSeptember 14, 2013
Go to desk and take calls. Get lots of support from co workers and management. Your supervisor helps you ALL the time ! Its fun, upbeat and everyone is always so friendly.
There are tons of perks and rewards and incentives !