STARTEK Employee Reviews in Canada

The company needs to focus on the employee more
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 30, 2016
The company is an outsourcing company. The focus has been on the contract not the employee. This has hurt them as a prospective employer.
Good pay for amount of work
Ontario Inbound Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 7, 2016
Was a fun work environment with a lot of work related incentives. hours were fine for the pay and regular hours.
I didn't like how the management was more friends than work related employers, they stuck together when complaints were made.
Sometime building more of a family environment at a workplace is not the best when serious complaints come up and get pushed under the rug.
Pros
fun, carfree, easy customer service, regular hours and pay
Cons
compaints not dealt with in a professional manner.
Little to no empathy for employees...Jealousies abound..back stabbing constant
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 3, 2016
Companies attitude is that the workers are a dime a dozen and can be replaced at a moments notice. Managers are given the position due to stats and not due to how they speak with and motivate their staff. Rude customers are easier to deal with than with the management staff at StarTek.
Pros
The clients
Cons
lack of respect for employees
was alright
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 3, 2016
This company was very strict as it was an outside company which was based in the United States so it was very quiet. So not much to really say but quiet company.
I enjoyed working with everyone that was part of the Startek team.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I learned to work in a high-paced environment.
I learned how to work well in a team environment.
I learned several organizational skills.

Co-workers were mostly helpful towards one another.

Having to work in an environment which was continuously timed. Ex: timed telephone calls timed bathroom breaks etc. This type of environment made you feel as you were treated robotically. It equally felt as though you weren't trusted to perform your work in true honest nor loyalty.

When you were experiencing any form of difficulty, help of supervisors was provided when available.
Pros
Bonus incentives.
Cons
Competitive environment, lack of trusworthyness.
not fun
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I hated working there. Chained to a desk limited breaks and pay wasn't the greatest. Constantly changing staff made it hard to know who to talk to about issues. Would not recommend this place to work at .
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Customer service top priority. always learning and helping customers in process. helping co-workers with customer service issues.
Pros
HALF HOUR LUNCH
Cons
Good job for a kid or young teen
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 11, 2016
This was a fun job watching my favorite sport. Its a great job for 12-15 year olds but not enough hours or pay when you have your own bills
na
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 7, 2015
• Process clients’ orders for transfer of phone lines from one Telecommunication Company to another, and activation or reactivation.
• Assist customers with the verification of their order such as installation inquiries and other related concerns.
• Provide factual and objective information to customers to set realistic expectations regarding their telephone services.
Good Hours, Poor management.
Customer Business Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 9, 2015
Startek was a great place to start working while I learned about computers and worked on my typing speed. The other co-workers there are very nice but management is poor and doesn't co-operate with the employ and gets angry easily. Hours were great when looking for a full time position. Over all a good place to work if you can deal with american customers over the phone that can be quiet rude sometimes.
Pros
over time.
Cons
poor management
Customer Service for AT&T wireless
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 4, 2015
Multitasking, computer/phone use, navigating throughout different systems on computer, dealing with difficult customers, selling cell phones, ordering and tracking phones, discussing invoices with customers,
Not the best first job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 14, 2015
I decided to work nights at StarTek since it was my first job, unfortunately at night, we still go many calls and not a whole lot of supervisors at night making it difficult to ask questions. Also we were told about a system during training that was suppose to be not used except everyone used it and didn't teach me how to use it.
Pros
Good pay for a first time
Cons
Not very new job friendly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 10, 2015
I spent 13 years working for Startek Canada. I was in a number of different departments but I had the most fun in the department where data input was my daily job. I have been inbound taking calls as well as making outbound calls. It was a fun place to work and I enjoyed my co-workers. There was not a lot of room for advancement so that was the hardest part of working there.
Pros
Co-workers and always being part of a team
Cons
Unpredictable schedule
review
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Startek was a terrible experience. Management seemed completely focused on numbers and didn't seem to care for employees. Without hiring new people to replace for attrition, a hiring freeze and keeping employees on back to back calls I felt completely like a number.
Fun place to work
Inbound Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Inbound customer care for major cell phone company providing billing and technical support. Was demanding and fast paced but also a fun place to work with many "perks" such as contests and just general fun thing to help break up the monotony.

While there were MANY great people there were also some who were not really suited to be supervisors or team leads.
Pros
Great atmosphere, fun place to work
Cons
too many teams and not enough GOOD team leaders
currupt and unfeeling place
under appriciated slave (Former Employee) –  kingston ontarioSeptember 16, 2015
Worked here for 13 years, then without warning I was "let go". Supetvisors are lazy and wont ever take escalated calls, the wage is capped at $16.46, AND if your one of the tenured reps, your constantly waiting to befired. Anyone who wrote a review saying its a fun place is full of it or was written by management.
Pros
no longer working there
Cons
that I gave 13 years of my life to them.
terrible place to work
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 1, 2015
underpaid for the stuff you have to deal with.
over taxed on paycheques, and HR/ payroll refuses that there is anything wrong. when there clearly is.

benefits are way too expensive, 40$ a month for a single person? on top of the 250$ thats being taken out of my cheque from taxes. no, i need every single penny of that small paycheque.

they promise room for promotion, when there is no room.

no coaching, they go straight to termination without any warnings.
Pros
none.
Cons
everything
Really fun place to work, with an awesome family environment.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Pedro Sula, HondurasAugust 11, 2015
Every day is a great experience when you learn something new, being able to help others is a satisfactory feeling that you get when you get as well such an awesomes benefits from your employers, an open door policy for the managment group was a good idea so the csr wont feel like he is too far away from the one who can help him at all times.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CanadaAugust 7, 2015
Customer service was excellent, quality of calls took precedence over shorter calls and customer satisfaction was regarded very very highly. Management worked very hard to coach reps and boost moral.
Pros
Great friendly teams to work with
Cons
Shift hours at odd times
Don't work here
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Kingston OntarioJuly 16, 2015
When you first get there you will train for a month! :D Do that training, it is easy and then quit around the time A-Bay gets hard. They will hard sell you on how great it is to work there and how awesome they are. Do not fall for it, I remember crying not he first Canada day I've ever had to work because I felt trapped inside at my desk and couldn't get approved for a VTO when the place was painfully boring slow. That day like many others I just fell down on my bed when I got home and didn't even eat a good meal.

A typical work day involves having 40-50 calls a day. You'd think it isn't so bad because it is a phone. However the system is designed to aggravate customers, supervisors use the expression owning calls when you begin on production. FYI some of the employees stink and are undesirable so they work at StarTek because no one else would have them. This place went to being about customer service to becoming a financial care place which is the step right before the customers go to the debt collectors.

I say work here if you have no self respect and do not wish for a happy life balance. I quit after feeling claustrophobic and trapped at my desk! I literally took five calls after being coached by my supervisor. Had a panic attack then rushed out on my break to Human resources to resign and tell them there was no way I could go back on the phone.
Pros
You sit all day, training is easy
Cons
yelling customers, lame supervisors, friends quit or get fired