STARTEK

STARTEK Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Customer service top priority. always learning and helping customers in process. helping co-workers with customer service issues.
Pros
HALF HOUR LUNCH
Cons
Good job for a kid or young teen
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 11, 2016
This was a fun job watching my favorite sport. Its a great job for 12-15 year olds but not enough hours or pay when you have your own bills
Good Hours, Poor management.
Customer Business Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 9, 2015
Startek was a great place to start working while I learned about computers and worked on my typing speed. The other co-workers there are very nice but management is poor and doesn't co-operate with the employ and gets angry easily. Hours were great when looking for a full time position. Over all a good place to work if you can deal with american customers over the phone that can be quiet rude sometimes.
Pros
over time.
Cons
poor management
Not the best first job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 14, 2015
I decided to work nights at StarTek since it was my first job, unfortunately at night, we still go many calls and not a whole lot of supervisors at night making it difficult to ask questions. Also we were told about a system during training that was suppose to be not used except everyone used it and didn't teach me how to use it.
Pros
Good pay for a first time
Cons
Not very new job friendly
review
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Startek was a terrible experience. Management seemed completely focused on numbers and didn't seem to care for employees. Without hiring new people to replace for attrition, a hiring freeze and keeping employees on back to back calls I felt completely like a number.
currupt and unfeeling place
under appriciated slave (Former Employee) –  kingston ontarioSeptember 16, 2015
Worked here for 13 years, then without warning I was "let go". Supetvisors are lazy and wont ever take escalated calls, the wage is capped at $16.46, AND if your one of the tenured reps, your constantly waiting to befired. Anyone who wrote a review saying its a fun place is full of it or was written by management.
Pros
no longer working there
Cons
that I gave 13 years of my life to them.
terrible place to work
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 1, 2015
underpaid for the stuff you have to deal with.
over taxed on paycheques, and HR/ payroll refuses that there is anything wrong. when there clearly is.

benefits are way too expensive, 40$ a month for a single person? on top of the 250$ thats being taken out of my cheque from taxes. no, i need every single penny of that small paycheque.

they promise room for promotion, when there is no room.

no coaching, they go straight to termination without any warnings.
Pros
none.
Cons
everything
Really fun place to work, with an awesome family environment.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Pedro Sula, HondurasAugust 11, 2015
Every day is a great experience when you learn something new, being able to help others is a satisfactory feeling that you get when you get as well such an awesomes benefits from your employers, an open door policy for the managment group was a good idea so the csr wont feel like he is too far away from the one who can help him at all times.
Don't work here
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Kingston OntarioJuly 16, 2015
When you first get there you will train for a month! :D Do that training, it is easy and then quit around the time A-Bay gets hard. They will hard sell you on how great it is to work there and how awesome they are. Do not fall for it, I remember crying not he first Canada day I've ever had to work because I felt trapped inside at my desk and couldn't get approved for a VTO when the place was painfully boring slow. That day like many others I just fell down on my bed when I got home and didn't even eat a good meal.

A typical work day involves having 40-50 calls a day. You'd think it isn't so bad because it is a phone. However the system is designed to aggravate customers, supervisors use the expression owning calls when you begin on production. FYI some of the employees stink and are undesirable so they work at StarTek because no one else would have them. This place went to being about customer service to becoming a financial care place which is the step right before the customers go to the debt collectors.

I say work here if you have no self respect and do not wish for a happy life balance. I quit after feeling claustrophobic and trapped at my desk! I literally took five calls after being coached by my supervisor. Had a panic attack then rushed out on my break to Human resources to resign and tell them there was no way I could go back on the phone.
Pros
You sit all day, training is easy
Cons
yelling customers, lame supervisors, friends quit or get fired
It was a great place to work
Customer Service Representative for AT&T Mobility (Former Employee) –  Regina SaskJune 18, 2015
handled customer billing and service issues
set customers up with new cell phone service plans and activations
assisted customers with trouble shooting their phone issues
had a great bunch of people to work with
great benefits
learned how to de escalate irate customers
can work well under stressfull situations like high call volume when there are system wide outages
Pros
fast paced always busy
Cons
not much room for advancement or pay raises
Different places of employment
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, OntarioMay 11, 2015
This job required adaptability as you were sent to different places for short term jobs. Working with different people in different locations was an asset as you got to learn a wide variety of jobs.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Short term employment
not worth 12$/hour
CSR (Former Employee) –  kingstonApril 1, 2015
very stressful. The only thing that was enjoyable or made me want to go to work everyday was the training class. I had met some nice people and the trainer was helpful.
Once you get to the production floor, it's every man for his or her self.
My first day with my team, I had no team leader as he was on vacation, so no one was there to help me get set up, or tell me where to be!!!! It was an awful experience.
On top of the stress from your surroundings, you deal with American customers who are extremely rude, and could care less if they offend anyone. It takes a toll on you mentally.
Not worth 12$ an hour. Save yourself the embarrassment of working at a call center, especially one as unorganized and under paying as startek.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
everything
what I loved
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  KingstonMarch 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was my co-workers and also my customers that I built a rapport with. I enjoyed this job a lot as I enjoyed the customers and also the people around me
Very Grinding
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 19, 2015
11 hours shifts, minimum breaks that are heavily scheduled even if your in the middle of a call 3 people will swing by to tell you to take your break or lunch, haha then they tell you to get back to work at your original break end time instead of since your last call ended. The place has 20 managers and at any given time you have 4 people watching every move you make but not staying updated on what were even supposed to be doing. Also limited bathroom use, ext. Minimum interaction with other employees. I worked for them a year.
Very talented and hard worker.
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 3, 2015
I am a hard worker, and do an excellent job. I have earned rewards, and ranked very high among my peers. I am called upon to help new employees and colleagues when training is needed. I excell in my position and am looking for new opportunities to experience myself even further.
Pros
i am very good at what i do and am considered very knowledgeable. the go to guy.
Cons
pay is low and recognition is few and far between.
Poison and Empty
phone jocky, then management (Former Employee) –  KingstonJanuary 6, 2015
This company is the welfare clean up job.
This is where people go when there is nothing else.

The management don't care about the staff they care about numbers.

The ads are full of lies. This isn't where you "go for a career" it also "isn't hiring because they're growing" they are hiring because they are constantly cycling through staff on a regular basis.

The pay starts at $11 and once you hit about $14 you cap and are likely to be "removed from the program" for some nonsense reason because they want to get rid of you and hire someone new at $11
Pros
it's work if you need it.
Cons
to many to mention in detail.
I love the job, but when it comes to my family I can't do the shift work
Customer Service Representitive (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 5, 2014
I love the job, love the people i work with, pay is good, just hard to shuffle working nights and taking care of my family.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
shift work is hard for me
busy enviroment face paced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONSeptember 30, 2014
answering phones. helping customers pay bills, buy new phones, change rate plans. the people there were great to work with very helpful.the most important part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment when the customer was completely satisfied.
Pros
employee incentives.
Cons
10 hr shifts
they are ok
CSR (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
-good pay and benefits
- a lot of overtime.
typical day would be answering phones and talking to customers about their accounts and billing issues. sometimes have team meetings
-management kind of sucks not really there when you need them
Very regimented -
CSR (Former Employee) –  KingstonSeptember 6, 2014
You needed to come in early to set up your system and be ready to work on their schedule. Breaks were limited and set for only 15 minutes to get water, go to the washroom and what ever else you needed to do.

There was no set end time to a shift as you had to stay on the line once you had a call.

The only good thing was helping people solve their issues. The client did not care if you were to deal with the person the main goal was to get them off the line in a certain number of minutes to be able to take other calls. If you needed to call a customer back it was on your own time and you actually are docked on your scores to determine your shift bids.

The main goal solve their problems fast then move on. At times very hard as the other person wants to be treated fairly and in reality you are watching your clock trying to get the person off of the line.

Pay is rather low and trying to use your holidays when you want them is difficult as there is only limited openings in any set block and major holidays seemed to be booked well before the shift selection was even open.

IT equipment is out of date and you are expected to work with small monitors. The training videos of sister facilities shows them state of the art tech and work stations. Kingston is very far behind in this.

Work stations are shared and normally are very dirty. People would leave coffee cups where ever they were sitting or not. At times the work stations could only be described as discusting

All in all, not a place I would recommend. Try to find something else.
Pros
n/a
Cons
see below.