Startek Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kingston, ONOctober 10, 2015
Pros: Co-workers and always being part of a team
Cons: Unpredictable schedule
I spent 13 years working for Startek Canada. I was in a number of different departments but I had the most fun in the department where data input was my daily job. I have been inbound taking calls as well as making outbound calls. It was a fun place to work and I enjoyed my co-workers. There was not a lot of room for advancement so that was the hardest part of working there.
Fun place to work
Inbound Customer Service (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, fun place to work
Cons: too many teams and not enough GOOD team leaders
Inbound customer care for major cell phone company providing billing and technical support. Was demanding and fast paced but also a fun place to work with many "perks" such as contests and just general fun thing to help break up the monotony.

While there were MANY great people there were also some who were not really suited to be supervisors or team leads.
Great Place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 26, 2015
For Students this is a great place to work. I found colleagues and managers to be very open and trusting. If you do your job they do look after you. Great workplace.
High Customer Incoming Calls
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONDecember 9, 2014
Highly organized. Very high work standards. Interested in customer satisfaction. Enjoyable work environment. Lots of data entry. Answered incoming calls. Participated in meetings. Continued learning. Highly intellectual position.
It's a call centre which is inconveniently located for employees without their own transportation.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kingston, ONOctober 9, 2014
Pros: cafeteria open during weekdays until six p.m., offering limited options
Cons: inability to plan outside activities due to shift bids.
Shift bids every few months mean that employees cannot plan for other things outside of work, such as night classes, hobby groups, etc. It is very hard to have a LIFE while working here. Quality standards are continually changing, requiring continual adjustment on the part of the floor staff. Management does not consider the unique needs of employees when planning shifts, and because the buses have a limited time in which they run, if an employee does not have a vehicle and needs to bus to work, they can still be placed on a schedule which forces them to find alternate ways to get to work. Slowest elevator in the Western Hemisphere. Employees are required to leave the production floor on breaks and lunches, but if one is disabled and needs to take the elevator, they are penalized for getting back late through no fault of their own. Co-workers ranged from nice to not-so-nice. A high school mentality is evident throughout. Very high turnover because employees are just numbers to management. Supervisors are petty and unprofessional if they dislike a particular employee and will negatively comment on the employee's annual review regardless of the employee's actual performance.
Very stressful job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONAugust 19, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: unfair management
Typical day was answering inbound calls for information about wireless products. Learned customer service skills. My co-workers were great.

The hardest part of the job was satisfying management and the client

I mostly enjoyed the customers and my co-workers
company picnics, employee appreciation days
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 27, 2014
Pros: open 24/7
Cons: outsourced american company
 Handled inbound calls and placed outbound calls as well as E-Mail correspondence with customers
Great Pay
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), kingston, onJune 6, 2014
Pros: computer use
Cons: not flexible
Great pay but not the best place to be if you have a family. Not very flexible with hours, and lots of politics. I learned better communication and problem solving skills. Co workers were great and made the time there enjoyable. Hardest part was being pregnant and not being able to move around.
Full of change and fun
Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMay 30, 2014
Pros: friendships
Cons: changes without notice
Startek was often a fun work environment. It changes often and is flexible to suit individual needs. I was trained to coach individuals to improve and succeed. I was also trained on how to successfully train classes of new or tenured individuals. I was also able to improve and excel at customer communication over the phone. Including de-escalation techniques. Management is also constantly changing. Some people are fit for the job and some people are not. Sometimes the management consists of people who are not personable, and sometimes there are people who are very supportive. The hardest party about the job is trying to please everyone at once. The most enjoyable part is making a lot of friends.
A very busy workday
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONFebruary 25, 2014
Highly productive work environment. High volume of incoming calls. Fast paced. Very educational work environment. Co-operative team spirit.
High stress but pays the bills.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: room for advancement, lots of overtime, decent start wage and benefits.
Cons: high stress, long hours.
Standard call centre job - high stress with mediocre pay. They do offer a good vacation package although booking time off is difficult especially in the summer. Management is okay depending on who you are dealing with. Favouritism is definitely a thing there. Advancement is difficult but attainable. In the time I have been there every person promoted (including local site-level management) has been within the company.
It was a fast paced environment with many new experiences every day
Training Manager/ Supervisor (Former Employee), COrnwall, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: kudos and bonus or commissions
Cons: closing of company
Filled with a million questions to answer to bring satisfaction to many different types of customers who all need there services fixed first...
Learned new things every day as much as products as programs different departments and skills.
Worked my way up to trainer witch was the most rewarding work I have ever done!!
Always changing the co-workers were always interesting and fresh, though it was enjoyable to have those who did last to be able to share knowledge with.
The most difficult part was when my hands were tied and there was no way to help the customer but to change his products, though I knew it would be best for this person it was still difficult to force them into anew way of thing even if it frighten them. (For certain individuals, especially those of a certain generation change is not better)
Employees were offered bonuses and salary incentives
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: gettting a sense of satisfaction that we made a difference.
Cons: some clients were not very understanding to agents who were trying to help them
A typical day at work would consist of logging on to the network answering inquiries from customers. Giving out billing information when required. Setting up systems for new clients such as internet and telephone systems. Management was always available to lend a hand when required and co-workers were very team oriented. The hardest part of the job was working with out dated systems and resolving problem issues in a specified amount of time as some issues were complex and required more time to in order to resolve. The best part of the job was speaking with clients and being able to resolve any issues they may have to their satisfaction.
the most enjoyable work environnement yet!
o Superviseur et Directrice (Former Employee), Hawkesbury, ONApril 2, 2013
I loved this job! It left place to creativity and was very easy to manage.
The company allowed me to utilize my various skills with new challenges on a regular basis.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 9, 2013
I feel this company allowed me to thrive in a fast paced environment as well as trained me in numerous fields which will benefit other employers. I, in turn, trained up to 100 agents at a time on a regular basis as well as worked with Business and Government entities as well as Consumers. Overtime was offered and I readily accepted as I prefer to work more than less.
Goal oriented but fun
Representative (Current Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: 44 hour weeks
Cons: shift bids & small wage
Never a dull moment, plenty of competition & incentives to be the best customer service but also for the community
Management doesn't follow the rules
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), KingstonJanuary 30, 2013
Cons: many
I worked at Startek for approximately 18 months. In that space of time only 1 shift bid in my department was ever done (supposed to be done quarterly). When the client decided we didn't have the show rate they required, Startek decided to change the working schedule for a significant amount of employees in my department. All shifts are suppose to be based on performance. As for myself, I was regularly in the top 2 for quality and was told that in 13 days I was no longer to be working my well earned Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm shift, I would now be working Friday to Monday, on 10 hour shifts. As well, due to same lack of employees during this time period, overtime would be offered to cover the deficiency. When I declined this offer, I was told that I could LOSE MY JOB for not working overtime. As well, I already had an agreement in place with "management" about requiring a personal leave of absence due to a sickness in my immediate family. It was approved provided used my sick and vacation days. I then requested to use my remaining 2 HOURS of vacation to allow the PLOA to begin. DENIED! Why you ask? Ask management....
Wonderful place to work, friendly co-workers
CCR/Offline Rep (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONDecember 7, 2012
Sign in and compile reports to save companies money on their cell phone service.
not great
Data entry, taking phone calls (Former Employee), Kingston OntOctober 14, 2012
startek in kingston Ontario, not family friendly. I was fired after being given the day off to run to a daycare emergency. Next day manager waited until I signed into my desk etc, then fired me in front of everyone.

Head of the kingston one would often make rude remarks to people, and even to the point the buses could no longer come in because he had an altercation with one of the bus drivers.
Love the People Hate the Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONAugust 24, 2012
Great friendships came from this job as well as many commission payouts and prizes won. The same phone, computer, programs and excellent customer service.