Starbucks
3,783 reviews

Starbucks Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun environment for anyone all ages to work
Barista (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 11, 2014
Typical day at work always is joyous. I have learned different techniques and skill to make a drink personal to their taste. Management is fun but always work related and sticking to the guidelines of the company. The hardest part of the job was letting go old friends who have found bigger and better places to go. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... when you are able to have conversations with new and returning customers. – less
Great atmosphere and charming co-workers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Niagara-on-the-Lake, OntarioFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, free coffee every week, available hours
Cons: long shifts
A typical day at Starbucks consists most importantly, of making people smile. It also consists of serving coffee, interacting with co-workers and customers, cleaning, organizing, stocking shelves, etc.
The management level at my particular store isn't exactly ideal, there is a definite lack of organization which is frustrating at times for both supervisors – more... and employees, and can lead to store chaos.
On the other hand, my co-workers (not management), are wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoy working shifts with all of them. We all create the lovely atmosphere of the store, and get along very well.
The hardest part of the job, as supervisor, is when it gets unexpectedly busy and you have still have to effectively run the store staffed like you were when it wasn't busy. being short-staffed and trying to operate normally is the hardest part of supervising at Starbucks.
The most enjoyable part is being a supervisor. I get to lead the team, and see results. – less
Lack Luster Brand & Company
Designer (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: free coffee
For those who compare this company to Google & Nike, this couldn't be farther from the truth. They don't encourage, empower or do anything to benefit there employees.

- Very bad office environment
- Nothing special
- 12+coworkers were out on burnout in an office of 20
- Bad management

I highly discourage anyone from working here.
Barista (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Busy, go-go-go, great coffee, didn't like my co-workers but we made it work. I enjoyed my very early mornings, learned a lot about coffee. Got to know regular customers and had their orders being prepared before they ordered
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 2, 2014
The management was commendable, very efficient. However, they did not stick to availability. It was productive and a very enjoyable work place.
Coffee!
Barista (Former Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: sample food and coffees
Cons: physically demanding
Difficult clients, long hours but friendly staff.
Educational, experimental,
A very busy place
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: they do provided one free drink per day for all staffs
Cons: always short for staff
Starbucks is a very busy place to work at, the first week I worked there, they are already short of staff, so, I need to learn and trying to picked up very quickly. But I think that was a good time for me to train my memory since they have so many different kind of drinks to mixed.
Great fast paced, cultured environment.
Shift Supervisor/Front End Manager (Current Employee), EdmontonJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: free pound of coffee a week, health benefits after probation period, stock options
Cons: 5:30 am openings, consistent turnover with management, inconsistent work week schedules.
I really enjoyed the amazing diverse culture of people you see everyday. Partners, Regulars, Grandparents, Families, Students, Business Professionals.

And of course Mastering the Perfect cup of Espresso and Cappuccino

Never a duplicate day. Always a welcoming challenge with great satisfaction.
All coworkers were fun and hard working. The manager was friendly and approachable. Even the customers were awesome!
Barista (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 30, 2014
It was impossible to hate any of my fellow coworkers. Everyone working there was fun and outgoing but were still organized and hardworking. It was a healthy balance which was important to the manager who was friendly and approachable. In the beginning it was stressful trying to remember all the different drinks but after you mastered a latte it all – more... just clicked. I am so sad I had to leave and would absolutely work at Starbucks again. – less
Fast paced, Highly Orginized, Team orientated.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2014
Greeting customers with great enthusiasm while making there beverage and managing your team. Greatest part was all the people you get to meet everyday.
Friendly, productive, intense work place with amazing co-workers who always have time to help each other out.
Barista (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: unpredictable hours
Typically I open at Starbucks, I have to set up the pastry case, date all of the food, organize and set up the food and drinks in the fridge, clean the floors behind the counter and help out my other co-worker with her opening duties. All of this is done between 6-6:30 am. After that we open doors, serve the regulars that come in daily on their way – more... to work, then on comes the mall rush at around 8/8:30. Around that time our second person comes in so then breaks start being run which we have to space accordingly to shift length and customer count at the time. Each of us have our own assigned positions which frequently switch depending on the situations so we all have to be excellent at all of the jobs behind the counter so that we cant easily move around to help out where help is needed. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the customers and keeping high accuracy to avoid the need to re-do things. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing and speaking to each person who comes in, learning their usual orders and keeping up to date with whats new in their lives. – less
Challenging and re-building environment
Barista (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: free coffee, lot's of connections with people
Cons: too little time to learn everyone around me
A typical day at work was either funny or upsetting - depending on what standpoint I took.
As a mature person I needed to re-connect with my teenage hood for one more time. I learned to demolish my values and re-build them, such as: I learned that people come and go without saying hi, bye, thank you or please. I learned that sometimes the 4pm starting – more... time means 4:10 or even later. I learned that things are floating around, the milk ends up with the orange juice and vice versa. I learned that sometimes it is possible to fight with physics - despite of the common belief - and for instance the fridge door can be left open for half an hour, especially when the management forgets to close it.
I needed to learn to distinguish between good and bad, and to maintain my personality in an environment that was not supporting my personality features. I needed to learn to go with the flow, to keep my chin up, my humour and my enthusiasm. I needed to learn that things are beyond my control sometimes. I needed to learn not to give the right to anyone to make me feel inferior or bad.
I learned to be a strong person, a person with values, faith and integrity.
The management was a couple of young people with little or no experience, and therefore they needed us, the baristas to inform them about the details of the job. Three of my shift supervisors were promoted to be assistant managers after me explaining them the basic communicational rules and shaping their skills in this direction.
My co-workers were mostly young people from different colleges and I still keep in touch with them. We have formulated a Facebook group which is a living charette, we have representatives from every walks of life.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the burned-out, apathical manager who only saw us as coffee-servers and not community makers.
The most enjoyable part was to see how the connections are being established and functioning between individuals. During my five years of Starbucks I have created several groups and communities including the "Russian -speaking people" the "Divorced fathers" and the " Dancers" group who came to our cafĂ© on a regular basis, and where us, baristas acted like organizers, mediators, students, and bartenders. – less
Fast paced
Certified Barista (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: interacting with people and getting a chance to make them smile.
Cons: the salary was just not enough.
A typical day at Starbucks would be really stressful some days but fun and exciting the next.
Starbucks
Barista (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: wonderful staff
Cons: angry people
Helped with customers with a fantastic team of employees who I am still friends with. The management in the beginning was good and slowly dwindled and everyone quit around the same time or got transferred to different stores due to this. The hardest part about the job was having a smile on your face when people ordered their coffee wrong and then yelled – more... at you about it. The most enjoyable part was working with the staff. – less
friendly environment
BARISTA (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: less pay
team work, helpful co-worker and i experienced a lot of different communication with different people .
A top employer.
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2014
Rated as one of the best companies to work for. Generous to employees and a fast-paced working environment.
not really that great
Barista & Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Camrose, ABJanuary 8, 2014
lots of work to do with not a lot of pay. always new people, learned a lot about how to deal with everything that
A fun and relaxing place to work
Barista (Current Employee), Pitt Meadows, BCJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: so much to remember
I absolutely love my job! I get paid to make friends with my customers and be creative with coffee. A typical day includes laughter, lots of spills, learning fun facts from my customers, cleaning, and making lots of coffees. I have learned a ton about coffee, but also what it's like to have a manager who really cares about you. The management has the – more... same quirks that all stores have when you people a group of people with different education and backgrounds together. The difference is that you know they all care about the end product...the store and our guests. The hardest part of my job is remembering all of the special ways that we do things to make peoples' visit that much better. We go above and beyond to the point where I can't always remember it all! The most enjoyable part is definitely the fact that it's a cafe store where I get to talk to my customers. They know me, so if I make their drink wrong, they're not afraid to let me know and help me learn. – less
professional, while maintaining a welcoming environment
Barista (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: good people to work with, always something to learn
Cons: long hours in a demanding environmet
A typical day at work will usually include many customers, and not enough time to get the behind-the-scene tasks done. I have learned how to multitask, and problem solve on my feet, and I can do it all professionally and with little stress. The management is very hands on with the daily tasks that need to be done, and they are always willing to teach. – more... The partners at Starbucks are hard to label as the company values diversity. Each partner brings something unique to the table. I find that the hardest part to the job is the number of hours that I have to be on my feet. I have been with the company for over five years, and it is starting to wear me down physically. That being said, I still find the job extremely satisfying, as the customers are usually thankful for the service that they receive and they really enjoy our product. – less
Starbucks the Great
BARISTA (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2013
Those of us who have worked at Starbucks know it's a pretty unique experience. I highly recommend this job for someone struggling to pursue art or a freelance field as they are very flexible and have plenty of opportunity for advancement if you so choose. Also, the free coffee isn't something you usually see.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more