Starbucks
5,829 reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast-paced environment with lots of connectivity among customers.
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free drinks, scheduling, atmosphere
Cons: on your feet for long durations
- A typical day at work would be, attending customers needs with great attitude and serving their order at their request.

- Things that I've learned over the time being at Starbucks are: Time management, Connecting a loyal base with our customers, making requested beverages.

- Management at Starbucks is understanding, hard working and co-operative.

- My co-workers are excellent to be around. They are team players and are always there to help if needed.

- The hardest part of my job is having to keep up with beverages at our busiest time of the year, which is our "Frappuccino Hour" in the summer time.

- The most enjoyable part of my job is having a bond-able relationship with our regulars. Making beverages to the standards of all our valuable customers.
Enjoyable work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free drinks, free food, free markout.
Cons: long business hour.
Starbucks coffee shop is different from other coffee shop because we want our customers to feel like home and our staffs are like families. We are trained to treat each customers specially no matter they are regular or not. Smiles is our priority behaviour. I need to do the cash management and run everyone's break. Also, I have to maintain store's clean and neat. Co-workers care about each other and we help each other to learn new knowledge.

The hardest part of this job for me is to hold my stress, and keeps barista to be happy. Sometime my co-workers feel upset but I have to figure out the way to help them forgetting unhappy moment. We have to provide best customers service, so I have to make sure my co-workers are happy first.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when your customers are appreciate what you have done for them. I like to see my customers to be happy and share their experience at our store.
Exciting place to work!
Barista (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 9, 2015
Pros: partner benefits including health and dental, food and drink discounts, weekly free coffee/tea mark outs
Cons: long hours, standing up the entire time
Very productive and exciting place of employment, constant face to face human interaction with customers and coworkers. Feeling of belonging is clearly present no matter which store you work at, from the three locations I've worked at over the past year, all have welcomed me with open arms. Hardest part of the job is the constant rush feeling you have, being able to execute your work in the quickest and most efficient way possible while also providing outstanding customer service is very demanding but the end result is also the most rewarding part of the job.
Great company!!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCMarch 7, 2015
I have to say that after working at Starbucks for over a year I still really enjoy it. I was hired as full time and given full time hours all the time. Booking vacation time off was never an issue as long as I give plenty of notice, I had to cut my availability back to only two days a week and they were totally accommodating. I miss not being there more often. My fellow partners are amazing, they whole atmosphere pushes teamwork and cooperation, I really enjoy it--plus, free coffee!
Fun exciting workplace where communication and teamwork are key in a smooth operating shift and busy "rush"
Barista (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 6, 2015
Pros: free drinks 10 mins before shift, while on break, and shortly after finishing shift.
Cons: fast paced environment throughout shift in occasional stressful situations.
I loved working here, and got my taste of Mixology and wish to further my career in this direction. The only reason I had left was the slow advancement and wage opportunities, was willing to put in double the work by advancing into higher position but would only receive 50 cent raise to this position. Being a single working mother of Autistic son, and already putting in a full 40 hours every two weeks, I couldn't afford double the workload and not enough compensation.
Good place for the first job
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 5, 2015
Starbucks is my very first job. It is good experience and it is very good way to meet different people. However, it is not for everyone.
Good but lots of room for improvement
Barista (Former Employee), Pearson International AirportMarch 4, 2015
Pros: the culture, the drinks and food, teamwork, rotation
Cons: too fast paced, difficult for anyone to keep up without a good team, difficult sales goals
My managers were mostly concerned with saving money and speed of service, so you can imagine how bad the drinks became and how pushy we became with customers. Not the kind of management Starbucks should keep...
FUN ATMOSPHERE
Lead Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: rush hour could get crazy but it's all good.
I liked working at Starbucks. I am a people person and i am honored to be part of their team. Starbucks is a culture. I have never seen a company that has lived up to their standards anywhere in the world. Wherever you go, Starbucks signature customer service is always excellent.
Great experience
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCMarch 1, 2015
Pros: free pound of coffee a week and all the you can drink while you are on a break.
Cons: opening shift is ridiculously early
Working at Starbucks Coffee Company has been a great learning experience. I will take, and use in my daily life, the valuable time management training. It is a skill that can adapted for virtually any situation that has time constraints.
Awesome place to work, but dead end job none the less
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: short shifts
It's a fun environment, and great people. The problem is the hours are very short and the advancement is not particularly good.
Fun place to work at
Barista (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: free beverage
Cons: hours can get cut
Personal connections with the customers are the best part of the shift. I learned that customers come first and without them there wouldn't be the business. The management are cool and understanding; they make the place easy to work at. The co-workers make everything fun. The hardest part of the job is meeting every customer needs when it becomes really busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being there in the environment because the people, the environment, and the energy is so positive that I can call it a second home.
wasn't what i was told
ASM (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: free lb coffee or tea a week, 30% off, when not at work on anything in store, free beverages during work, staff i worked with was amazing and friendly
Cons: mis-leading, pay was mediocre, amount of work is repetitive and more labour than should be
I applied as Store Manager, had 3 phone interviews with HR. She than offered me the ASM (Assistant Store Manager) position and telling me id be better off starting this off. (even though my past experience as Banquet Manager and Restaurant Manager wasn't enough to her, she told me Starbucks was totally different management). I than met with District Manager in person. Everything i was informed seemed positive and was looking really forward to it all. The benefit, the Perks, it was all good, but it was a huge distraction to what the job really was.
I was told i was first hired because of my past professional experience in dealing with customers/ guests, and my personality being so outgoing.
4 weeks training- 2 weeks barista, it was so fun and i learned so much.
2 weeks training as Shift Supervisor- a lot of work, it was still fun, but repetitive work in counting inventory, and they have a few added steps that waste so much labor work. i ended up being transferred to the actual store i was suppose to work, and become that ASM i was being trained for. when i started at the property, they started to RE-train me with everything i had already been trained on rather than starting to train and work as the ASM.

if you have past managerial experiences you will know what a manager is all about. The management position is not what you;; expect. The DM controls with fear, and it seems that head office has no trust in their stores.
through out my training i barely had the time to communicate with the customers, make the connections.
Decent overall
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: 10% off at target
Cons: sometimes long hours and demanding customers
A great place to work, with decent hours, however the particular franchise I was working at was owned by target Canada and thus I've lost my job
Perfect place to connect with family and friends
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2015
A place to explore the coffee around the world. Deliver a world class service to every customers. A perfect place to connect to everyone.
Exciting & fun retail place to work at
Bar Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good periodical breaks between shifts
Cons: can get very busy and tedious
Starbucks is one the most busy retail stores in the industry.
i learned a lot of things like customer interaction, quality service delivery, time management, & cash handling and a lot more .
Excellent co workers and a great environment to work in.
fun workplace
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), edmontonFebruary 23, 2015
management are very helpful event the staff. we create a healthy and balance environment workplace. we ensure that we serve with world class service and communicate with customer
Great workplace, hard to advance in calgary
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: all the coffee (free drinks, free coffee)
Cons: management can be hard to deal with
I really love my current job, but advancement is hard and reliant on who you know to get anywhere.

While the job is fun, it can be stressful and can lead to awkward moments and fun times had by all, but you need to be able to brush a lot of your own personal feeling aside when you come to work, as almost everyone is trying to get their foot up the ladder, and one bad thing can put down the list quite quickly.
Absolutely awesome co-workers
Barista (Current Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: benefits, co-workers, free drinks and discount, fairly flexible hours
Cons: customers, policies, can't move up, not enough hours, low pay
I don't know if it's just my store, but my co-workers are just amazing people to work with. They are the sole reason I am still working there at the moment.

The job itself is fine. It's retail, it gets old fairly quickly. The customers are really hit or miss. Some are very entitled and feel they can treat us like their slaves. And the 'always say yes' policy at Starbucks really doesn't help us employees deal with this properly. There is really no way to tell a customer off if they are being rude, you basically just have to give them whatever they want, and they continue to act and demand things every time they come into the store; even if it goes against other Starbucks policies (such as the re-fill policy). If Starbucks could change their attitude it would benefit both the partners and the sincere customers who don't demand free drinks and this and that just because they can. It's really unfair.

It's also hard to move up and get full-time hours. The general weekly hours everyone gets are around 20; more if you're a shift, but again becoming a shift isn't very easy in my store as we have so many already.

Making the drinks can be fun, and the free drinks during your shift are nice but I'm pretty sure they are the cause of a few cavities I got recently ;P. The benefits are really handy once you get them, but you can only apply for them once a year, so some co-workers missed the deadline and are without for a year again. That's hard as the pay is pretty low, with the low hours. Very hard to live on if you're not at home any more or covered by school.

It's a pretty good job if you're in school - high-school or post-secondary - but as a full-time job it's probably not your best bet for long term work unless you're a shift and want to work your way up.
fun workplace
Barista - Engaging (Former Employee), Fergus, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: management
Starbucks is a great company but it was located inside a target which I did not prefer. Management was not up to professional standards at the location i was working at.
Great work environment, great co-workers
Barista (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 7, 2015
Fun team dynamic, great job if you enjoy working in teams. I really loved the routine and organization that this job comes with.

About Starbucks

Our employees, who we call partners, are at the heart of the Starbucks Experience. We believe in treating our partners with respect – Read more