7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Lively and exciting place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: Free drinks and whole beans.
Cons: Little support provided for dealing with extreme customers.
There is constant interaction with a variety of customers nearly every moment of the day where I've had to learn how to balance tasks with serving while keeping an upbeat attitude.

More than anything there was a need to very quickly learn how to balance a friendship with co-workers while being firm enough to delegate them to specific areas in order to maintain fast service throughout peak periods of the day.

The hardest part of this position is also the most rewarding which is dealing with customers. In severe situation you are confronted with overly intense and angry customers who want to berate you and in the more enjoyable customers who feel a connection well enough that they look forward to seeing you to discuss their day.
fun, interactive and busy place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 30, 2015
Pros: benefits for even par time em ployees
Cons: i'm always over caffeinated!
Shifts starting at 5am Monday-Friday, occasional Saturdays.
opening the store by setting up displays and merchandise, stocking food display cases and calibrating espresso machines.
As management, I would be responsible for counting all safes/tills, preparing and taking deposits to bank, receiving change orders, and managing inventory.

Management is great! We work as a cohesive team.
Co-workers are very hard working, love the job and are very customer driven.

Hardest part of the job is being on top of your toes in regards to proper deployment and delegating to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently during busy times.

Most enjoyable part of my day is getting to interact with our regular customers, and meeting new people.
Working at Starbucks Coffee
BARISTA (Current Employee), Richardson Winnipeg AirportFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: co-workers are friendly and respectful, job makes it easy working as a team
Cons: short notice sick call
It's always a busy day in Starbucks but I learned that following instructions is a number one key to have a delicious handcraft drinks. Working as a team will make a huge difference because the line up will become smooth. My co-workers are very hard working and initiative and it is very important to have that kind of attitude.The hardest part of the job is when one of us will make a short notice sick call and it affects our job because we need more people if it gets busy. It's hard to get others to cover the one who called in sick; The most fun part on my job is that I can try the most recent beverages and make it at the same time. I know all the secret Starbucks recipe which I feel proud of myself since I am a coffee drinker.
Starbucks is mostly great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: free beverages, free coffee beans, free tea markout, great discounts
Cons: some management within kitchener
Starbucks is a wonderful place for a student or young adult looking to develope their customer skills. Partners work in a faced paced environment, handle cash and are trusted to do daily and weekly tasks of their own. Starbucks offers great benefits for even part-timers, stocks that build up cash flow, partner beverages on every break, 30% off partner discount on all merchendise, and partner markouts (one free pound of coffee or tea).

The only bad thing I could even possibly say about this company is that unfortunately I had a manager who bullied her employees and has fired empolyees for unjust reasons but Starbucks has great Human Resources and the issues will be resolved.
Excellent establishment to learn basic customer service skills
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 16, 2015
Pros: 5 free drinks on days you work.
Cons: miscommunication
show up, put on your apron, clock in, wash hands, assign a front till, follow given instructions/ assist customers/ craft beverages.

i learned not to take anything personally, and to stay positive because everybody has bad days.

occasionally the schedules were poorly constructed, and there was communication boundaries between the levels of management, so there were some grey areas.

my coworkers were great, handled stress well, supported each other like family, and helped out when they could.

the hardest part of my job was working drive thru in the winter because it was cold.

the most enjoyable part of my job was being on bar and seeing someones face light up when i handed them their personally handcrafted beverage.
Fun, fast paced place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, OnJuly 10, 2013
Pros: benefits, free coffee and tea, great customers, great co-workers.
Cons: very early morning shifts, unreliable manager, unreliable schedule.
It's a great place for skill building, and learning to be a team player. You work closely with your co-workers to bring the best experience and best beverages to your customers. As a Supervisor, you learn management skills, and cash management. A typical opening shift would include tasks like: store orders; putting away of inventory; running breaks; customer service; count tills; count the safe; counting and delivering the deposit; and running the floor smoothly. A typical closing shift would include tasks like: running breaks; cleaning the store; count tills; count the safe; customer service; make sure the store is set up for the opening shift; and inventory count.
Fast pace, friendly environment with a great team mentality
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2015
The most enjoyable aspect of this job was interacting with customers face to face. You knew immediately how your service was received. As a large company it could be challenging, at times to meet with nationwide expectations, but this also served to foster a solid team environment where we looked out for each other. Personality conflicts happened from time to time but were never insurmountable and everyone did their best to work as a team and get through the harrier parts of the days. At times the expectations of head office were a little unrealistic but that's understandable with such a large corporation. I learned to work calmly and efficiently under pressure and to lead my team through clear communication and setting positive examples.
Productive place to work with plenty of advancement opportunities.
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJune 25, 2013
Pros: weekly pounds of coffee, fantastic benefits, wonderful people
Cons: lots of standing, occasional early (before sunrise, it exists!) mornings.
Generally I would work an eight hour day at work, anywhere from four o'clock in the morning as a start time, to eleven p.m. as an end time. Starting at minimum wage, I am now making a little under twelve dollars per hour. Management is strong and willing to help out when needed, and each of the baristas I work with are fantastic and willing to do their part to make the team thrive. The hardest part of it all has had to be adjusting to my new position as a shift supervisor. The most enjoyable part is possibly the easiest question. It has been wonderful getting to know new people, both coworkers and customers alike.
Productive, customer service, Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: bad management, schedules are bad, on the spot taking other people's shift
Starbucks Cypress location had some bad management. They lacked people and sometimes would abuse the new comers. For example, They would ask you to stay longer because the other barista suddenly didn't come in. New comers can't even say no because of being the newest and who needs to learn more. Although it was just the management that lacked with discipline. They didn't not fire those people who was slacking off nor acknowledge people who are doing good. Everyone who works there are good friends and the diversity isn't bad but I would say that if it wasn't for the lack of people then others would have good schedules. I love working in fast pace areas and I love how clean the store can be.
Fun and comfortable place to work.
Barista (Current Employee), Mississauga OntarioNovember 24, 2013
The most exciting and enjoyable part about working for Starbucks is the people I work with. I view my partners as family members and my work place as a second home, making it not seem like work at all. These positive relationships led an enjoyable learning experience. I gained invaluable interpersonal and customer service skills. The management is very flexible and understanding. The most difficult part of the job is the extreme pressure you are exposed to in a rush, however with the right team support and proper personnel distribution these difficulties are easily overcome and can even be fun. The only reason I would leave this position is because I desire a more stimulating and mentally demanding job. Which is why I am pursuing a career in chemical engineering.
Fun work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2013
Pros: fun environment
Cons: hours
Advancement within the company is achievable in timely manner when you prove yourself to be qualified for the position.
Learned about being organized and to use time sensitively.
Conducting training and coaching partners to improve themselves and for myself to advance ahead
Always get to interact with customers and able to relate and get to know some in personal level
Eventhough most of the time shifts starts at 530 am it is a fun environment just not very well suited for anybody with family who has opposite schedule or not have the access to have a daycare available 24 hours.
Having the chance to work at different locations with different management it definitely shows how to be able to adjust to individual partneres working with you
Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2015
Pros: Everything was amazing!
A typical day at work for Starbucks was mainly fast and slow past of customers coming in. It was a great experience working under the company, benefits were great, tips were high, and the customers were amazing. It was like a "home" type of feelings, a third place to be outside of work and home. I learned a lot during the time I was there, I would do it over again if I could. The management was amazing, my boss understood everything and worked around how I was doing. My co-workers were very friendly, I never had any problem with any of them. The hardest part of the job, I would say, is the weekend work and the early morning shifts. Since I live far away from family, I wasn't able to travel to see them at all. Other than the time, the experience was amazing. I would do it over again if I could.
Build great experience while working with a good team
Barista/Shift supervisor (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: Free beverages before shift, during breaks, and after shift.
Cons: Different schedule every week, including different days off every week.
Working at Starbucks is a very challenging job but is also very rewarding because it pushes you to learn how to handle high volume and pressure when it comes to customer service. I work with a team that is very supportive and positive which makes it a great environment to help serve our customers. I am always anticipating the customers needs and making sure every second they are at our location is a genuine and welcoming experience. I make sure to hold myself accountable a long with my team to maintain sales goals and help drive the business while upholding compandy standards.
Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 16, 2013
Pros: free beverages on shift, and free coffee every week
Cons: dealing with rude customers
While working at starbucks I learned the importance of team work. When you arrive at work everyone must be doing their job to the best of their ability and must always be communicating with their co-workers. A job like starbucks can feel hectic at times, so working with a team that is positive and with people who push themselves to do well is very important. I experienced a few different managers during my time there, and quickly discovered how much a managers work ethic can affect the success of the store. The most difficult part to working at starbucks it's fast-pace and dealing with hard to please customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with people who make the job fun.
A 5* Company
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: Great work environment
Cons: Shift patterns can vary
Starbucks is a great company to work for. From the first interview you really get a feel for the working environment and the type of person Starbucks employs.
There is a lot of training involved even in the most basic role, so be prepared for many hours of reading and writing (most of which is done on a computer). This is all done within your work hours though, so you are paid for your time.
The hardest part of the job is making sure all the daily tasks are completed on time. Starbucks has a strict but very effective schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with some of the friendliest people on the planet. From customers to barista's to upper management, Starbucks its easily on of the best places I have worked.
Fast-paced and customer service oriented environment
Certified Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work involved rotating positions on the floor and dealing with all kinds of customers. I learned that in order to be successful at this job you must be very flexible and have the ability to give excellent customer service while simultaneously doing behind the counter work. My co-workers were my favourite thing about the job as everyone was very welcoming and I made life-long friends. The most difficult part of the job was closing shifts where baristas were expected to complete cleaning tasks & duties, as well as provide outstanding customer service. Overall, if you are a flexible and versatile person who has excellent customer service skills, a job at Starbucks would be a good fit for you.
Fast paced, communicative work place
Barista (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 10, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, taste testing, fun atmosphere, consistently informed
Cons: under staffed, burning hazards
Working at Starbucks worked well with my strengths. A typical day at work would start with me generally starting at 5:15 am, we opened at 6, and from there I would serve my regulars, and others. Also among serving, I would accomplish a list of chores that were needing to be done. I was quite close with my co-workers, still am with most. We made work fun, constantly making the rushes seem like a breeze. The management that I worked with was the finest management I had ever worked for. I believe the hardest part of the job was maintaining an alert, high energy persona. I loved meeting all those people, who I still run into and have relationships with.
Very productive and innovative place to work, education and product knowledge was very important
Partner Resources Manager, Retail, Ontario (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: free pound of coffee ever 2 weeks, you were able to try out the product
Cons: lots of travel was required
Ienjoyed store visits, I enjoyed product knowledge meetings with our food department. I enjoyed learning about the product and really understanding what the store staff did. Everyone who works for Starbucks spends 2 weeks in the store before they start in their regular job, everyone becomes certified as a barista suring that 2 weeks. I also loved the fact that this company cared about the environment where the coffee was grown, they cared about the people as well....Starbucks was all about giving back to the community.
WAS the Best Place to Work
On-Floor Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 7, 2015
Pros: Coffee Mark-out and Stock options plus benefits and Tuition Rembursiment
Cons: Went from "Mom and Pop Family" Feeling Store to Corporate
- Enjoy working in a team setting
- Fast paced, with regular customers returning daily, made it enjoyable and personal
- I worked with a team that were always on time, caring, helpful and willing to help other team members when needed
- I got along get with my manager, and respected that he/she went around my school schedule
- The most enjoyable part of this job was that it was fast paced, and in a friendly, evolving environment.
- I enhanced my customer service skills in the communication area, and adapted new skills that were recommend for the job ex; making lattes, preparing food etc.
Starbucks - great job culture, and management!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Free markouts, partner beverages, partner discounts
Cons: repetitive tasks, pay is not high
Starbucks provide a great working experience especially for students looking for part-time jobs. Training is extensive and your co-workers are always available to give you any help if needed when you start off, making the learning curve less daunting. Once you've settled and adapted to their work culture and the environment, day to day work could be repetitive and hours of shift could seem long due to that fact. Overall if you're a student seeking a job or you like coffee shop environments, and don't mind repetitive tasks and you like working with a team then this is a job you should consider applying for!
Revenue