Starbucks Employee Reviews

Great Experience that can lead to better opportunities
Barista/Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2017
You definitely learn a lot working for this company. By no means is everything perfect, but you are treated right, given amazing benefits, and recognition.
Pros
Part Time Benefits, Full Time Benefits, Weekly Mark-Out, Discounts, Stock Plan, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Strict policies, inconsistencies in management
Fun Place to Work
BARISTA TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 October 2017
The company really cares about their employees, Great benefits even for those who work part time. Customer connection is an important feature of the job and prepares you for future client interactions
benefits
Cons
low salary
satisfactory
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2017
You need to be able to handle working in a fast-paced environment. Staff environment is very friendly. However, more staff need to be at the floor during a shift. There are not enough staff members working during peak hours to keep up with the number of customers. The stress these situations are not worth the salary that Starbucks provides
Pros
discounts, benefits
Cons
not enough staff on floor creates stressful environments at times
Starbucks is a great entry level job where baristas learn skills to further their development
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2017
A typical day at work would involve around serving our world class coffee and products to our valued customers. I've grown and developed immensely within the company, personally and professionally. Examples include time management, public speaking, and personal development and professional growth. Workplace culture is created by making sure everyone matters and belongs, making the best moment in everyone's day. I could not point out the hardest part of my job, however I can say that each day is presented with new challenges. The most enjoyable part of my job is making people happy, both my employees and customers alike.
Pros
1lb of free coffee a week, free beverages during break, benefits, health
Cons
work/life/balance
Productive and fun environment to work at
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 October 2017
Its a pleasant place to work at, and partners are very friendly to work with too.
I learn how to connect with partners and customers throughout the shift.
Good job
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2017
Was a good job .
Experience in fast paced environment and making more than one drink at a time
Regulars made it a good time by always being so friendly
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Not free food
Happy environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2017
I really enjoyed working at Starbucks, especially with the team i was placed with. The position is all about initiative and teamwork which was executed very well! customer interactions helped increase my customer service and communication skills.
Pros
three free drinks depending on the length of our shift
Cons
rude customers
it's the third Place
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2017
Learn about all different kind of coffee in the world. the most enjoyable part of the job is created the best coffee for unpleasant customer - make them happy
goood
Great pay
Strong Leadership
Great Team
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2017
Starbucks is one of those places that you love to work at in the beginning, its new, fun, and you feel creative. The people you work with become family. In about a year though you hate it. Everyone becomes jaded from the customers constantly trying to pull one over you. Evil frapp happy hours, and buy 1 get 1 free Christmas lattes. It all wears on your belief that the world is a good place and Humans are good.
Pros
Creativity, ability to switch shifts
Cons
horrible scheduling, not ever enough staff
A day in the world of Coffee
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 October 2017
Overall, I had a positive experience working at Starbucks. We are welcome to share opinions and to be ourselves. With office days once a week, that meant we spent a lot of time on the floor with our Partners (Team Members). That allowed us to feel the pulse of our business, interact with our guests and team. We could easily give feedback to our team and we had tools to acknowledge when someone did a great gesture.

The most interesting and enjoyable part of the position was the fact that we had built an extremely loyal customer base. I took time to build a strong team that stayed with me for years. My store had the lowest staff turnover in all of Quebec. A strong reliable team, a loyal group of guests and a great product equals a success situation. I enjoyed going in every day and didn't consider it to be a job but more of an enjoyable environment that I would orchestrate and be rewarded a salary for.
Over worked
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2017
The job is very demanding. Constantly having to do 4 different things at one time. There is little support from management and they require a doctor's note for calling in sick.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours, customers are allowed to be rude to employees. No support from management.
Awful place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 October 2017
I hated working here, the manager sucks and the company sucks. I worked here for 4 years and the first 2 years was fun but then the company became very pushy and work became very unmotivating and not a happy place to be
Productive and fun work place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2017
Working at Starbucks was a great experience. I learned a lot about being a Barista and also about the customer service industry.

The only downside was the management of the location I worked at.

But overall a great job.
Valuable experience working in high-volume/high-rush in food & drink environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2017
- workplace culture is great, learning ins and outs of starbucks food and drinks
- great environment to meet and make new connections with community and customers
- typical day is serving drinks/food, processing transactions and maintaining store cleanliness
- learned how to make specialty coffee beverages using espresso machines
Stressful, but coworkers are worth it
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2017
The customers make me want to jab a steamwand into my eyeball, but my coworkers are dope. As usual, you're expected to always be happy, but the company allows customers to get away with too much. Causes them to throw hissy fits over little thing, or get away with murder. However, the dynamic of the floor is great, and I very rarely work with someone I don't like.
Pros
Good pay and hours
Cons
Lots of running around
Fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2017
Enjoyed the culture very much. Cultivated growth within the workplace. Fair pay with benefits for part-time employees. Hardest part were the early morning hours of work. Most enjoyable were the people, and the free coffee.
Good workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
The workplace culture of Starbucks Canada is fantastic. Its great place to work part time while attending full time school. I enjoy going to work for each shift.
looking for a full time job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 September 2017
-a typical day at work is 9am-6pm
-always listen, anticipate, response, apologize when dealing with customers
-never hesitate on giving your opinion to higher management
-love the diversity of culture at a workplace, learn more about different countries
-the hardest part of the job is the training
-the most enjoyable part of the job is the new things you learn and the people you meet, not only coworkers but can be friends too.
benefits
Cons
work more than 12 hours
Barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2017
Starbucks is great in terms of flexibility for people that are still in school and have weird availabilities. I have had many managers, some great and some terrible so management can be very hit or miss.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
low pay