Starbucks Employee Reviews

Good, Bad and the Ugly
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
I worked for 8 years as a Barista. My overall experience with Starbucks in general for atleast my first 6 years were enjoyable. Its a great starting job and teaches you relevant skills that opens a variety of options in the customer service industry down the road. I have seen the best and worse of Starbucks. I have made some good friends and compromised with several obstacles in Starbucks. By obstacles I mean people.

Mind you this is my personal experience but how such backwards people can be put into management is beyond me. I witnessed horrible backstabbing as a small group of managers backstab another Assistant manager in the district to ensure she didn't get a promotion, Baristas/Shift managers including myself putting up with horrible management and having absolutely nothing done about it and office politics that rivaled Ugly Betty. A barista and acquaintance of mine was forced to do Open/Closes, Consistently given extra work (Beyond her 40hrs), Off the clock duties, consistent belittling in front of staff and absolutely zero regard for human dignity. after +1 year battle with HR they eventually just trasnferred her and the manager works there to this day.

For myself I was offered shift manager position maybe a total of 3-4 times by other stores who saw the effort and detail i put into my job. However I was determined to fight for an open position in my own store which I thought was possible. I had 6 years of experience under my belt at the time and a total of 4 months of shift development along with a myriad of extra responsibilities from another manager. Unfortunately
  more... that manager was transferred out and I was offered a "fair" consideration for the next one. I wasn't, out of the door this manager hated Men (im a male). Even the new hires no more older than 1-2 weeks saw that she was particularly harsh with men and always batted an eye with the female staff. I FOUGHT for this position, but I knew she would never consider me. So I opted to transfer to another position at a closer location to home. I worked a total of 4 shifts with that store, the staff saw my experience, did an interview with the manager, the manager himself talked about scheduling me a few weeks out...Until he got a phone call from my manager finalizing the transfer. Guess what? I came into the store to pick up my new schedule for the place to see that nothing fell through AND THIS IS HOW I HAD TO FIND OUT? I had to do my own investigation that I was 2 weeks off the schedule at my own store, not on-staff on the new one, 1 paycheck short of rent? Are you serious? a few days later I find out that i was never transferred and that the managers had some communication which was never brought to my attention.

Why do backwards people always get into management?
I've outlasted 5 managers, my first rage quit the company(he was excellent), my second took the first job she could out of there, my third was a pedophile who was let go, my fourth went crazy, my fifth was superb and my 6th...you know the story.

Anyways to the present, I worked for 1 more year after that trying to turn things around. No regards, apparently after 1 year of SERIOUS improvement to my own skills I rate a 1.5 out of 4 stars. I quit. I risk homelessness, I am rock bottom AND I AM HAPPIER. Because I know from the bottom I can move up, instead of where I was before.
An Honest Review.
Excellent work culture
BARISTA, SAFETY & SECURITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
Starbucks has been the best unintended job that I kept. The support for employees is exemplary, focus on self-growth is excellent.

Work is busy, and never predictable.

This job offers experience dealing with client satisfaction, product quality, safety and security, leadership, training and development and team cooperation in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Free drinks. Good work culture.
Cons
Shift work.
Friendly community, great skills learned
Barista (Current Employee) –  First Canadian Place, Toronto, Ontario4 January 2017
My experience with Starbucks so far has been wonderful! The staff I work with are super friendly, open minded, understanding. My manager is very flexible and accommodating. We have created such a family oriented type of workplace. It is like a home away from home you know? The benefits are great, and the stuff you learn is amazing! For example, you learn how to taste the difference in coffees, the history behind every coffee bean as well as where they come from. You learn how to make delicious drinks, and learn great communication skills as well as people skills. Starbucks really helped me come out of my shell.

I will say, some of the harder parts of the job, are constantly being on your toes, which I don't mind really. But what is hard is dealing with customers who are unhappy. Some of them can be very mean and just plain rude. At first I always took things personally, but then I learned to understand that sometimes they're just having a bad day and why not make it better for them you know? And from then on that is what I have done. Another thing that took a while to get used too, was being in such a fast paced environment. I couldn't believe how much traffic goes through!

What I love about being a barista at Starbucks are all the defining, inspiring moments we create with each customer. I love making someone's day just by remembering their name and giving them a genuine greeting. It may not seem like it, but these moments go a long way.

Anyways, thank you Starbucks, for everything! I look forward to continuing being part of the community!
Pros
Free drinks every break, benefits, a great community
Cons
Almost always on your feet, days can be long
Fun and productive work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC4 January 2017
Very fun work environment. Will make lifelong friends with both your fellow employees and your customers. Fast paced, and always keeps you on your toes. Never a dull moment!
Its good for while in school
Barista (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
Depends on the manager you get fantastic job with a good one can kinda suck with a bad one.

Benefits are unreal, if you are in university/college its a no brainer to work here

coworkers are ok

you might get yelled at
Pros
Benefits, usually flexible hours
Cons
People.
Good job
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
The company is great to work for and the people you get to work with are also amazing. Pay is fair and the benefits and coverage are also very good. Though company is very sales orientated despite saying they aren't.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Demanding Management
fun place to work

tuition reimbursement

medical and dental
good workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  King City, ON2 January 2017
The job was faced paced. Co-workers were nice and cooperative allowing all to learn from one another. It was a great learning experience because different types of costumers would arrive to this location thus allowing one to learn how to assist and serve different types of customers.
Management was amazing
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
I worked at the Starbucks at YYC Airport in Calgary, the manager of the business at the time was absolutely amazing. He was very kind, caring and understanding... Supervisors and trainers were all kind and eager to help you succeed. I became comfortable and happy to work with my colleagues as well, due to them also being so kind and helpful. HR was not helpful, sent my T4 to the wrong address and was not cooperative or even responsive. Wage was average minimum, but hours were flexible and could be negotiated due to such amazing management. Quick paced and good job regardless where you are in your life.
Pros
management, free drinks, co-workers
Cons
Human Resource, wage
Mediocre part time employment with minimal advancements
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  43 Milner Ave1 January 2017
Employees are overwhelmed on a daily due to cheap staffing leading to angered customers that express themselves creating an environment of unnecessary stress. On top of that shift supervisors are placed under a lot of stress to meet unreal goals on a daily. As a result regular baristas as myself are sent home early on a consistent basis when business is slow.

Employees cannot base their life's income dependent on the flow of customer's especially during Holiday seasons.
Pros
Ability to make new relationships
Cons
too much unnecessary stress that could be avoided with minimal pay
Productive and fun environment
BARISTA -FULL TIME (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
Everyday is a learning experience dealing with various customers.
Tiring but enjoyable work.
Managers and supervisors are approachable.
Fun
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
I really loved working at Starbucks. I can say this is one of the jobs that enabled my to expand my communication skills and my self confidence. Starbucks provides all the guidelines to makes a simple employee a professional barista. Management is very strict to the point even the manager got fired at some point. Co-worker were mostly girls, friendly but a little too gossipy. I cant judge all Starbucks managers, but both managers we had were unorganized. The hardest part of the job was to be able to learn all the menu. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we had free drinks.
Pros
30% discount of food, free drinks
Cons
cant have free drinks when not on the clock
Great Work Environment and Friendly Staff
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON29 December 2016
Typical day at work involves cleaning counter tops and machines, making espresso based hot and cold drinks, coffee, tea, iced cold drinks and blended beverages. The coworkers and working environment are awesome and the work itself is fun too. The hardest part of the job is closing since it takes a while but the more practice you get doing it the faster it goes. By far the most enjoyable part is making connections with the customers and learning their stories and names.
A fun, fast paced working environment.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 December 2016
Starbucks is a great fun, fast paced working environment. I greatly enjoyed my time there and I would definitely recommend it as a place of work to anyone looking for a job in customer service.
Pros
free drinks, lots of breaks, health insurance
Cons
open on holidays
Productive and safe work environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2016
Typical day at work would be, starting the day at 5:30. Setting up food case and brewing coffee.
Extra cleaning that wasn't finished the night before.
Getting cash ready before 6am opening, managing time for everything before opening the doors.
Pros
Usually get the time off thats requested
Cons
low wages
Very work friendly environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 December 2016
Working at Starbucks made me realize that even a small gesture can go a long way. On a typical day, the partners and customers are both very easy going, and the managers are very organized as well. The hardest part about working at Starbucks at my location specifically, is when it becomes very busy and we are low on staff. But over all because everyone is very easy going, it was very enjoyable working for Starbucks.
Pros
discounts on food and beverages, and merchandise
Cons
can be understaffed at times
Surrounded by a Competitive Team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2016
- My day at work was busy and challenging
- I learnt how to intermingle with customers
- Managers were tough to make friends with
- Co-workers were very friendly
- Hardest part was to make friends
- The core values was the best part of the job and celebrating birthdays.
productive and fun place to work with people and coffee!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2016
Management is great and understanding of what you need.
Very helpful and nice co-workers. Most enjoyable part of my job is being able to have my favorite specialty coffee made for me.
Pros
Free drinks, learn how to make drinks
fun place to work
Tea Guide Associate and Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2016
overall fun place to work if you are trying to get by school or have other jobs on the side. management it too intense but not bad work culture
Great first job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC15 December 2016
Management had switched towards the end of my career with Starbucks, creating a few bumps along the road; but was overall a pleasant, great learning experience and opportunity. Respect is a huge element of the company, as well as having pride and care in what you're doing.

4.2