Starbucks Employee Reviews

Great place but not an easy job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB10 September 2016
I'll come out with saying this is not an easy job. If you're considering working here, don't do it if you want an easy job. It is a mentally, emotionally and physically demanding job and you need to be ready for that. Having said that, I love working for Starbucks. The company treats you amazing, and you grow so close with your coworkers, it feels like family. It is a very rewarding job. I mean free coffee every week and free drinks? I'll take that every day. But great company to work for. Just be ready to work your butt off.
Pros
Free drinks, free coffee, amazing environment
Cons
Physically demanding, crabby customers
Very fun work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC26 January 2016
I enjoyed the experience I gained working at Starbucks, all employees are trained to work together as a team, my only struggle was the wage wasn't competitive compared to our dedication to the job, and all of the responsibilities a barista takes on.
Pros
benefits, and partner discounts
Cons
low wage.
Great atmosphere, active workplace, fantastic co-workers, great customers, poor training.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
Typical shift was from 3:30-5:30. This job refined my customer relation skills, I feel much more confident in talking to customers and suggesting products based off of that customers preference and experiences with products. My manager for this job wanted her employees to remember origins of pastry ingredients and that was a bit difficult to do especially because it was never a question that came up. I enjoyed crafting drinks but most of all connecting with customers and my coworkers.
Pros
Free drinks, 1lb of coffee per week.
Fun, fast paced environment with plenty of opterunity for development.
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Third Line and Dundas, Oakville20 September 2015
A typical day begins with connecting with our customers and their communities, fostering a deep sense of purpose while building a meeting place in their communities. Focusing on our partners on surpassing our business goals through coaching, support and leveraging our business support tools.
I have learned a great deal in business acumen in my time here at Starbucks. The management team is excellent and fellow partners have a sense of belonging to something bigger.
The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fast paced process of creating a connection with our customers and creating an experience. All of which normally occurs approximately at a rate of 30 transactions per half hour.
Pros
Fast paced, great people, and benifits.
Cons
Early starts and late closing shifts, and a long commute
Great Environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, AB23 August 2016
Starbucks has shown to me and all the other employees that they really care about each and every staff member. We are not called employees, but rather partners. We are all treated the same and with the same respect, whether you are a barista or a manager. No two days are the same, you have customer rushes at different times, you always have new drinks coming out and the customers every day are different, with the exception of our regulars. I have learned so many great skills, like working alongside people with a multitude of different personalities and work habits. I have enjoyed working with all of the people at my store, they make my day enjoyable.
Fun work environment but poor compensation
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB19 October 2015
Fun place to work where partners became good friends. All about the customer experience and creating a second home feel for every customer. For a company that stresses that they "love" there employees, I felt we were neglected and asked too much of without considering store differences. Within a year's time we had to add about 4 BIG new things to our store with little time to adapt before a new one came in.
All in all it's a fun place to work. But it's a lot of hard work with what i feel is not enough compensation.
Pros
Unlimited free beverages while working
Cons
Lots of responsibility without equal compensation
productive and a great place to work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC4 May 2016
Starbucks is a great company to work for. Connecting with your partners and the community builds you as a worker and as a person. Management is always on point and takes great care or their employees. Training is provided, which helps with the volume of individual stores. Working for Starbucks is benifical and fun!
Pros
Partner discounts, great people to work with
Cons
Standing for long hours
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2015
A fun work place with supportive management. The team is selected perfectly where everyone gets along and everyone is there to help (taking shifts, trading shifts etc).

The management team is organized, friendly and coaches in a respectful manner. Nobody ever feels or has felt put down or condescending and everyone takes constructive criticism very well.

Overall, great place to work with. Continuing to work there part time. A plus that this company gives, on top of the benefits, job security, and culture.
Pros
Free stocks
Cons
wages
Starbucks barista
Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2015
A typical day at work is starting at 5am-1:30pm
I have learned great people skills, and customer service skills as well working here. Management could be better due to personal reasoning. All the co workings get along great and there is minimal drama in the work place environment. The hardest part of the job was learning all the drinks and building skills on how to accommodate people and there needs. Over time it became easy because I am a quick learner.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with your coworkers.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
management
Great Place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 November 2016
Amazing people, amazing customers, and amazing culture. Starbucks has a way of making all employees within all tiers of management feel like they are special and are a key valuable component of the business/company.
high achievement work with a world class company
Cafe Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2016
it is a very good company to work with. not enough hours, fast pace. modern, good image of the company.
Alway have new things coming up. the management is very good. the team works is important.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
not enough hours
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC14 March 2016
One of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had, working with young people who have unending energy, create laughter in the moment and teach the true meaning of life. Training is at the forefront of each promotion, ensuring you always feel supported and have the tools to succeed. Typical days always start with a great cup of coffee, the opportunity to connect, really connect with people and create an awesome experience for both youreslf, your team and your customers
Pros
Great Partner Discounts
Cons
To inspire and nuture the human spirit - one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC1 June 2016
Working at Starbucks has been great in exposing me to diverse challenges and immense changes. Its culture is one that ensures a comfortable, clean working environment and an overall pleasant place for people to be. Wonderful management, incredible partners and an immense supply of tasetful recipes and heart-felt intentions.
Productive and super fun. Great breaks and fun customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2016
A day at work was fun, fast paced when busy, and very productive. My co-workers were team players and loved working together, the only downfall of my experience was the management. The management was absolutely wretched, I have never been so ill-treated in my entire life. The hardest part of that job was probably the way we were treated as partners under our manager.
fast paced pressure environment, committment to excellance
Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Westbank, BC17 September 2016
learned to speak fluent "starbuckanese"
learned how to deal with diverse customer portfolio
Starbucks co-worker family was wonderful, great team environment
Pros
promotes team building and working environment
Cons
management dis-connect more likely depending on mgr.
great environment to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2015
the company is great takes care of its partners (employee's), you're team makes it a great place to work or stressful. management is good for the most part. Most enjoyable part, is working with partners that are great team members and outgoing people. one of the perks is meeting and connecting with new people, you never know who will walk through those doors. The most hardest part is mastering the art of customer service, or maybe even dealing with difficult coworkers.
Pros
free drinks before shift, during and after. and great benefits
Cons
rush hours get pretty hectic
Fast but Fun educational, and provides amazing opportunities.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC17 May 2016
Fast pasted, lots of customer interactions, cleaning, Visual merchandising.
I learned to keep up with the high demand with a happy happy smile on my face, also to know when and how to respond to a mistake with orders, through the BEST training I have EVER went through. I learned time management.
Co-workers are like the best part.
Hardest part is to learn that it is okay to take your time, because after time you become faster and faster.
Most enjoyable part is seeing our customers smile big, and of course free drinks.
Pros
Training, and free drinks plus discounts.
Cons
Can be over alot to begin with
Great Company in Theory Only
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 August 2015
The practices set by corporate are wonderful, but are often not followed through with at the store level, and are sometimes discouraged (WSIB claims specifically). The company recently has cut extra programs and benefits (Partner Appreciation Week specifically, a program that costs approx. $2mill.), citing too much expense, despite neting Billions of dollars in the previous calendar year. Other initiatives have been cut, including keeping orthopaedic floor mats, because they take too long to clean. There are also many flaws in the management system hierarchy, often leaving store managers grossly unmanaged, and leaving other partners in the store with no place to turn with complaints.
productive, fun work environment, allowed me to progress
partner (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON13 June 2016
I enjoyed working with the management, I had the opportunity to interact with managers, district managers and even the president of Starbucks and got the chance to see how they maintain the Starbucks culture.
Pros
great culture, work environment, create lasting friendships and relationships with partners and customers
Cons
I didn't find any cons
A good student job
Barista/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2016
If you are a student looking for a part-time job, this is a good option for you. Although it was tiring, it teaches you about work life balance. I didn't mind it.