Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

Barista
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day at starbucks was to prepare for opening. I learned how to make many different drinks as well as custom drinks for certain customers. Management and co workers were great. Hardest part of the of the job was at first learning how to make the many different drinks and then after just keeping the line small. Most enjoyable part was tasting and making samples for customers.
Pros
Free samples
Oh, to be a partner!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 23, 2016
Working with a diverse and friendly group was very rewarding, as well as fulfilling the needs of our customers. Starbucks is committed to providing legendary customer service and exceeding all expectations, something I was glad to do.
Easy and Fun Workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCFebruary 21, 2016
It's very nice working at Starbucks, you'll get to meet and work with different kinds of people. You'll learn and grow a lot, it is highly recommended job specially for first timers. It may be challenging at some times with the fast phase environment but when you get the hang of it you'll actually enjoy it.
Pros
Markouts for coffee beans, free drinks, food and merchandise discount
Starbucks review
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 19, 2016
Very intimating off the bat but I loved the people I worked with, making drinks was fun and my favourite part of the job. Management wasn't the greatest. Would often take vacations during the busiest parts of the year and wouldn't communicate important events making things stressful.
Pros
The staff
Energetic and Teamwork
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 18, 2016
Everyday starting a new day with great pleasure to work, working with a group which has a lot of energy to make it better day.
I have learned in my job that being a team player is one of the best skills than anyone can have.
Barista (Current Employee) –  yonge and adelaideFebruary 18, 2016
Work as a barista and cashier, make coffees, warm the food, clean the bar, clean the washroom, mop the floors, and wash the dishes. serves costumers, work with good and friendly co workers and Good management. Fun workplace
Great benefits, flexible, but thats it
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 16, 2016
Positive:
-easy work
-flexible schedule
-great benefits (but they take a lot of work to get)
-free coffee

Negative: (been at this job too long)
-repetitive work
-high pressure to be "bubbly, happy, always 'on' "
-STRICT uniform policies
-lots of work for little pay
-difficult to advance unless your store has high turnover
-strict rules for everything
-far too many who get stuck working at this job because of the benefits but day to day are secretly miserable, wishing they were doing something else
-strict about absolutely everything BUT recycling and making themselves more "earth friendly",
-everything is about profit.
very busy and fun with my starbucks team!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 16, 2016
its usually starts off slow and calm. Once peak comes which is a 2 hour window in which we get the most busiest, it is crazy. we are moving constantly and working very hard but also having fun while we are having conversations with our fellow customers. its never a boring day at work. My co workers are awesome! they are super enjoyable and bring a laugh and smile to me and our customers.
good job for minimum wage during school
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Make coffee for all sorts of people. interact with people, unload product and build relationships with regular customers and first time customers. learned how to communicate better with people, make coffee, work under pressure. Co-workers were nice and respectful and fun to work with. Nothing too difficult about the work or work place. Most enjoyable part at Starbucks was the late shifts with fellow friends and of course the perks.
Pros
free drinks, friendly people, good locations.
Cons
difficult flexibility.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is having conversations with customers. They give me some advice to succeed in studying.
Productive and Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 15, 2016
It was a fun place to work at simply because of the co-workers and the customers. You develop a certain intimacy and friendship with them and it makes everything feel special, also because the product was good and it was fun to sell as well. The hardest part of the job but the one I loved the most was the rush-hours; the excitement, the rush, the adrenaline, it made time go by so fast. In a blink of an eye, it was already over.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Heavy things
Productive and Exciting
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be meeting people through common interests.

I learned a lot about coffee. Different roasts, different regions coffee beans are from and its diversities.

The people I worked with at Starbucks were very close knit, and welcoming
amazing place to work
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ONFebruary 6, 2016
the staff was amazing very hard working group of people. the hours were flexible. all ways happy to go to work. the pay was great.
Pros
great hours
Interesting and great place to work in
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
The company takes time to value its partner. The staff and co workers are great. I would definitely re-apply.I loved my experience. I had to learn how to multitask and work very hard.
Student ideal
Cashier/Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
This is a great place to work if you want to upgrade from fast food and still make decent money. You gain great experience and deal with a different cliental.

i enjoyed the environment and meeting new people. You really get a sense of what ideal customer service looks like and it prepares you moving forward into the workplace.

Great company to work for.
Pros
Experience and good relationships
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 3, 2016
what i learned:
amazing place to work at if you wanna improve your peoples skill, they train you to be better at your job like how to deal with angry and frustrated customers.

management and coworkers:
we are a team of like minded people and getting along had never been a problem for me.

hardest part of the job:
trying to be upbeat and positive when we are super busy as we focus on a lot of things at the same time so we forget to be jolly or upbeat which sometimes comes off as rude or unwelcoming

the most enjoyable part the job:
making people smile! little things that i do which makes a persons day makes me feel happy about what i do.
Pros
regular breaks
Cons
no prospects of growth in the company
No Work Life Balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONFebruary 2, 2016
No opportunity to move up once you are a manager
No work life balance
Always on call with horrible pay for being on call
DM's don't listen or stand up for managers, only baristas
Great vacation and bonus structure
Pros
Free drinks, bonuses and pay
Cons
Long hours, too many ridiculous policies, DM's listed to staff, not managers
Great way to meet new people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 2, 2016
Starbucks is a great job, if only minimum wage. It can be mentally and physically exhausting during peak times of the day, but if you have a good team and a good manager, it can flow quite well.

Starbucks provides health benefits without a required amount of tenure, which can be stressful for employees of other organizations.

A typical day would consist of you interacting with customers, and filling their orders for food, or drink. They can have questions regarding those products, or about their loyalty program.

If you're a supervisor, it can consist of also preparing the daily cash deposit, placing coin orders as needed, and then taking it to the bank. Supervisors are also expected to monitor daily use of required products, such as milk. As such, orders are placed by supervisors weekly for different distributors.
Pros
Free beverages while on shift, one free pound of coffee/box of tea per week, health benefits available immediately
Cons
Constantly walking, bending, and lifting. Sales targets. Work ethic of coworkers can be an issue.
Comfortable environment with respectful coworkers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The cleaning duties were minimal as cleaning staff came in the evenings. Training and working as a barista was extremely fun and rewarding. It was a very fast-paced environment, but had a laid-back atmosphere. Management was very supportive and forthcoming. My coworkers were diverse and welcoming people. The hardest part was working in such a confined space with many people during a shift. Working the espresso bar and making drinks was definitely the best part of the job and regular customers were a joy to see.
Pros
5 free drinks on shifts and experience with the espresso machine
Cons
small back of house, standing long periods
Fast-paced and customer service oriented environment
Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work involved rotating positions on the floor and dealing with all kinds of customers. I learned that in order to be successful at this job you must be very flexible and have the ability to give excellent customer service while simultaneously doing behind the counter work. My co-workers were my favourite thing about the job as everyone was very welcoming and I made life-long friends. The most difficult part of the job was closing shifts where baristas were expected to complete cleaning tasks & duties, as well as provide outstanding customer service. Overall, if you are a flexible and versatile person who has excellent customer service skills, a job at Starbucks would be a good fit for you.