Starbucks Employee Reviews in Canada

fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 3, 2016
what i learned:
amazing place to work at if you wanna improve your peoples skill, they train you to be better at your job like how to deal with angry and frustrated customers.

management and coworkers:
we are a team of like minded people and getting along had never been a problem for me.

hardest part of the job:
trying to be upbeat and positive when we are super busy as we focus on a lot of things at the same time so we forget to be jolly or upbeat which sometimes comes off as rude or unwelcoming

the most enjoyable part the job:
making people smile! little things that i do which makes a persons day makes me feel happy about what i do.
Pros
regular breaks
Cons
no prospects of growth in the company
very fast pace and have to be a strong team player
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
very competitive pace and you have to be ready to give it 110% every shift. Depending on the store your skill set will be developed accordingly
Pros
always learning
Cons
not enough time to absorb sometimes
Amazing company
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2016
High paced, fun great coworkers and awesome benefits . Good opportunity for advancement if you pursue that path. Overall great company.
Pros
Free drinks, 30% discount great benefits
Cons
Younger sometimes immature folk/coworkers.
great place to work
Barista / Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
- fast paced job where the staff is really close!
- free drinks!
- fun customer interactions (if you enjoy that)
- hardest part was the long standing
Pros
free drinks, health benefits, room for hours
Cons
becoming a lot more corporate, hard to move up, little pay increases, FRAPPY HOUR
Comfortable environment with respectful coworkers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The cleaning duties were minimal as cleaning staff came in the evenings. Training and working as a barista was extremely fun and rewarding. It was a very fast-paced environment, but had a laid-back atmosphere. Management was very supportive and forthcoming. My coworkers were diverse and welcoming people. The hardest part was working in such a confined space with many people during a shift. Working the espresso bar and making drinks was definitely the best part of the job and regular customers were a joy to see.
Pros
5 free drinks on shifts and experience with the espresso machine
Cons
small back of house, standing long periods
Student ideal
Cashier/Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
This is a great place to work if you want to upgrade from fast food and still make decent money. You gain great experience and deal with a different cliental.

i enjoyed the environment and meeting new people. You really get a sense of what ideal customer service looks like and it prepares you moving forward into the workplace.

Great company to work for.
Pros
Experience and good relationships
Fast paced fun place to work
Barista/Captain (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 11, 2016
Shifts were all over the place. Not great doing a close/open. Learned more about coffee than I ever knew before. Hardest part of the day was sometimes never getting a lunch because it was so busy. Loved the people I worked with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
erratic hours
The people were... very negative. But the company was good
Closing Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 27, 2016
In truth I wouldn't recommend working for the location I was employed at.

I worked very hard and was promoted within 6 months, at the recommendation of the regional manager.
That said, the store manager didn't know how to manage people and he allowed the other supervisors to run amok. This lead to week-long tantrums from some of them, and the assistant store manager hated me and the store manager because she felt men had no place in her cafe (despite it being the male managers cafe, not hers?)

There were so many petty grievances and days where the staff and manager/supervisors wouldn't talk to each other that the cafe was a train wreck.

While I learned many skills there, both personal and dealing with everything for the happiest to the most irate customer, to scheduling and placing orders, I would never work at that location again.
Fast-paced and customer service oriented environment
Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work involved rotating positions on the floor and dealing with all kinds of customers. I learned that in order to be successful at this job you must be very flexible and have the ability to give excellent customer service while simultaneously doing behind the counter work. My co-workers were my favourite thing about the job as everyone was very welcoming and I made life-long friends. The most difficult part of the job was closing shifts where baristas were expected to complete cleaning tasks & duties, as well as provide outstanding customer service. Overall, if you are a flexible and versatile person who has excellent customer service skills, a job at Starbucks would be a good fit for you.
Barista - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
Loved the fast pace and most customers. Learned many things; including; how to adapt in an ever changing environment. Great training classes. Enjoyed being apart of something bigger with the volunteer opportunities.
Pros
Company looks after their partners.
Cons
Long hours in upper management roles.
Fun work environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 19, 2016
Fun to work at if the other partners are fun as well, Can be very repetitive after a while, tolerate a lot of rude people. Benefits are a bonus and tuition reimbursement.
Pros
benefits, free drinks
Cons
very repetitive
Great place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 19, 2016
Really busy at times but fun place to work. Learnt how to make different types of coffees and great connections with customers. Overall I highly recommend working for Starbucks!
Pros
great life/work balance, free coffee
Cons
minimum wage
A job you can love!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Starbucks provides a fun, fast paced work environment with room to grow and expand.

While working there, I learned how to become a barista and craft delicious espresso beverages.

I consistently worked with great managers who were eager to make sure their employees were happy and receiving enough work hours.

My co-workers were all fantastic and fun to work with and made every work day easy to get through.

The hardest part of the job is the RUSH hour, but it's still very manageable.

The most enjoyable part? The people!
Pros
Fun, Unique, Room for advancement, benefits packages and free coffee
Cons
Shift work
Good place to start
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJuly 8, 2016
Helps get professional training
- Understand cooperate structure
- learn company goals
- Learn customer service
- Learn good leadership skills
- Learn how to deal with troublesome customers
Fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 20, 2016
-Everyone was so welcoming to my start date
-Helpful partners in every way
-Easy going work place
-non judgmental
-busy, busy days from Monday to Friday, a constant line up out the door
-The hardest part of the job was probably learning how to and use this list of when jobs need to be done
-Most enjoyable job was having the regular customers welcome me, encourage me with how well I am doing with making their drinks, very friendly
Pros
3 free drinks, before, during and afer shift is over and a pound of coffee every week
Fun sometimes, but very petty people
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONAugust 9, 2016
Gets Busy around holidays. Great benefits but bad pay. And really petty customers......they complain about everything and anything they could. Just to get their way.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bad pay
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
As other minimum wage jobs, sometimes you don't always have the best co-workers but the corporation itself really takes care of its employees, makes sure they have continued training and lots of great benefits.
Wonderful work environment, great management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2016
Absolutely love the customers

Amazing team to work with

This company works around your school schedule

Great management

you are responsible for counting your till at the end of every shift

Amazing training provided
Pros
free lunches
very kind enviorment and resepctful customers and employees
starbucks 130ave SE - Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 23, 2016
this was a very good job that fit well with my hours, the people I worked with very nice and joyful, good benefits, good pay, and all around amazing experience and place to work.
Pros
benefits, hours, pay, employee personality, cafe enviorment
Cons
sometimes rushed when busy and working alone, making drinks and operating the till
Great work environment, great employees, and a nice calm atmosphere.
Customer Supporter (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work was very laid back, there is no strenuous work involved. Mostly a very great work environment but the occasional cranky customer is the only downside.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
the occasional rude customer