Starbucks

7.3K reviews

Starbucks Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and exciting place to work
Certified barista (Former Employee), New West, bcSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: Discounts and weekly markouts
The training was hands on and easy to learn. Employees very welcoming and helpful. It was well managed and they trusted their employees.
great environment to work
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: free drinks before shift, during and after. and great benefits
Cons: rush hours get pretty hectic
the company is great takes care of its partners (employee's), you're team makes it a great place to work or stressful. management is good for the most part. Most enjoyable part, is working with partners that are great team members and outgoing people. one of the perks is meeting and connecting with new people, you never know who will walk through those doors. The most hardest part is mastering the art of customer service, or maybe even dealing with difficult coworkers.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 24, 2015
Super good if you have a soft shell and cant handle a bit of stress. Overall it's a great company to work for and I Highly recommended to anyone in school etc. They offer tons of great things, unfortunately it just wasn't for me.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN
BARISTA (Current Employee), TORONTO,ONTARIOSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Free hot and cold beverages and snacks
Very good atmosphere to work. Have lot of exciting things to do. Never feel a boring time between work because it's really a entertaining and enjoyable working atmosphere.
Over worked, but great for students
Starbucks Shift Manager (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, flexible hours
Cons: physically demanding, health concerns, crazy hours
As of this moment, there has been a load of responsibility thrusted upon baristas and shift managers. IT's too much work for a minimum wage job, however this is a great job for students.

Most enjoyable part is the customer experience, take-home stories and the adrenaline rush you experience when working with your team during a busy line up! There's nothing else that feels better than killing the line.

Once you're in Starbucks, you're in. Which is difficult because there are partners that weigh you down and there's not much you can do about it.
Fun, fast paced environment with plenty of opterunity for development.
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Third Line and Dundas, OakvilleSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: Fast paced, great people, and benifits.
Cons: Early starts and late closing shifts, and a long commute
A typical day begins with connecting with our customers and their communities, fostering a deep sense of purpose while building a meeting place in their communities. Focusing on our partners on surpassing our business goals through coaching, support and leveraging our business support tools.
I have learned a great deal in business acumen in my time here at Starbucks. The management team is excellent and fellow partners have a sense of belonging to something bigger.
The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable and that is the fast paced process of creating a connection with our customers and creating an experience. All of which normally occurs approximately at a rate of 30 transactions per half hour.
Feeling like a family at work
Barista (Current Employee), 2555 Victoria Park AveSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: opening hours (5:30) am
Starbucks is all about partnership and outstanding customer service, with that being said barista's don't only treat some customers like customers, but as friends. It's amazing to connect and make friendships while at work.
Very productive and innovative place to work, education and product knowledge was very important
Partner Resources Manager, Retail, Ontario (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: free pound of coffee ever 2 weeks, you were able to try out the product
Cons: lots of travel was required
Ienjoyed store visits, I enjoyed product knowledge meetings with our food department. I enjoyed learning about the product and really understanding what the store staff did. Everyone who works for Starbucks spends 2 weeks in the store before they start in their regular job, everyone becomes certified as a barista suring that 2 weeks. I also loved the fact that this company cared about the environment where the coffee was grown, they cared about the people as well....Starbucks was all about giving back to the community.
Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Co-workers always there to help and coach employees on new products. Management flexible and approachable when it comes to questions needed to be asked.
Great place to work, management was not so great.
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 7, 2015
Starbucks is a wonderful place to work. The people are wonderful and the benefits are fantastic. Also, the free coffee is a huge kicker for this job.
Thorough Professional company
Shift supervisor (Current Employee), New Westminster, VancouverSeptember 6, 2015
Pros: Free beverages
Cons: No cons as I love what i do
Working with Starbucks is fun as we work as a team. Management is giving equal opportunity to every team member. We are considering each other as a partner at Starbucks. We respect each other and helping each other at every phase. We always walk an extra mile to help our customer. We genuinely believe that our product and the way we make our product is exceptionally top class.
Best Job for Student in the Food Service Industry
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: Fun place, free stuff, amazing perks
Cons: District and Regional Managers
Working at Starbucks has been one of the best experiences of my life. I started there with zero dollars to my name, coming out of a 3 year job that I couldn't handle because of a change in management. I was nervous because I was leaving all my colleagues from the previous place.

As it turned out I fit their coffee culture perfectly. I loved making drinks, being on cash and grabbing food items and bonding with customers as well as co-workers. My manager has been amazing; really understanding and always coaches partners in a constructive, polite way. She would always make time to be on the floor if we needed her, instead of hiding in the back doing administrative work. She would even get down and scrub floors or sinks too!

There's always something new at Starbucks; a new drink, food item, merchandise, event, etc. So I never get bored, and I always get to sample!

After 8 months I got promoted to a shift supervisor and it was the first time in a job I felt that the higher ups actually acknowledged my effort and dedication. I am still with Starbucks and I intend to stay there for the foreseeable future.

The company itself is amazing as well. They provide benefits through Manulife (how many coffee shops can say that), offer tuition reimbursement for students and have a CUP fund for partners in need (ie. medical emergency, loss of property, etc.). On a weekly basis I get to take home free coffee and I also get free drinks on shift; otherwise 30 percent off everything at other stores. You can also pick up shifts at other stores - provided you don't reach overtime - – more... so there's never a shortage of hours.

The only downfall would be District and Regional Management. Usually people in these positions would be hired as is, rather than promoted from within. Because of this, they can occasionally have unreasonable demands because they don't really know what it's like being in the store working.

I initially liked Starbucks as a consumer, admittedly because of their branding. But as an employee, I love the company and what they do for their people. – less
Fast paced and upbeat
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, Market MallSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: Free Drinks
Cons: Short Shifts
-Fast paced
-Positive
-Loud
-Great staff & management
-Customer service
-Cashier
-Counting money

Working at Starbucks was a great experience, I worked with great staff and management. I learnt amazing customer service and how to handle difficult situations with different customers.
Great vision & intention
General Manager (Current Employee), SaskatoonSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Company vision, commitment to employees, flexible work schedule
Cons: staffing fluctuations, customer inconsistency, some unclear policies.
You work hard at Starbucks and are rewarded in way not many companies can manage. Connection. Connection to both company, coworker and customer. As with any company, hiccups arise. Managers and leaders are people and job satisfaction can hinge on that relationship. Thankfully Starbucks rarely puts the wrong person in position and the companies vision lives through each and every interaction. And that vision, is by far the greatest strength of Starbucks. Despite it's size, it aims to do the right thing in all of it's business decisions. Focusing on the people as much as the bottom line. Occasionally that focus on people makes for some unclear direction. Where the balance of customer , employee and business is difficult to maintain. That's when Starbucks struggles. Policies are not clear and decisions can be based on the moment, and it usually seems like no matter what decision is made, somebody would have done it differently.
Productive, customer service, Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: free drinks
Cons: bad management, schedules are bad, on the spot taking other people's shift
Starbucks Cypress location had some bad management. They lacked people and sometimes would abuse the new comers. For example, They would ask you to stay longer because the other barista suddenly didn't come in. New comers can't even say no because of being the newest and who needs to learn more. Although it was just the management that lacked with discipline. They didn't not fire those people who was slacking off nor acknowledge people who are doing good. Everyone who works there are good friends and the diversity isn't bad but I would say that if it wasn't for the lack of people then others would have good schedules. I love working in fast pace areas and I love how clean the store can be.
Fun, productive and positive work environment
Certified Barista (Former Employee), Halifax International AirportSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: 50% off when on unpaid break
Cons: early mornings or very late nights
Fun workplace with wonderful staff. Its all about making the customers happy and meeting their standards. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers smile and learning new ways to do things from my co-workers.
awful french dragon lady in district 2010
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 28, 2015
Pros: free coffee, discounts, benefits
Cons: not enough hours, low wages
great company overall but certainly areas that could be improved on. HIGH turnover rate. management can get overworked and district managers can be way to nit picky.
Fast-paced, great staff and customers.
Barista (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABAugust 27, 2015
We've all seen the jokes out there of "I can't keep calm, I'm a barista", well it's kind of true. It can become very stressful when you're in the middle of a rush and one person is slowing everyone down, but if you focus and breathe and just take it one step at a time, it can become a lot of fun..

The best part of a day was always just being able to make people smile with a comment or a gesture or even just by laughing at yourself when you muck up..
Great company to work for
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), St Catharines, ONAugust 27, 2015
Starbucks offers great benefits and Bean Stock options for all full-time and even some part-time partners. My position as a shift supervisor has me busy all day with serving customers, daily cleaning duties and other responsibilities such as placing the daily milk and paper order, food inventory count, bank deposits and running breaks and deployment on the floor.
A typical day at Starbucks
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Aurora, ONAugust 26, 2015
A typical day at Starbucks consists of overseeing employees and communicating with regional and corporate offices

We ensure all operations adhere to the guidelines set forth by Starbucks

We participate in daily operations planning, banking, customer service, and assisting customers with complaints.
Revenue